Cards value for trading?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi,

I'm pretty new in MTG (I'm playing online, not paper) and I was wondering if there is any site where I can check the value of the cards. Sometimes I came across with some cards that I believe are good, but dont know how much can I ask for them, in order to make fair trades.

Thanks. 
if you have an Android device I can recommend MTG Familiar (it's free)
proud member of the 2011 community team
tcgplayer.com is an online market where Magic cards are sold, which gives you a good indication of their value.

mtgprice.com is a price tracker, which works alright.

There are also price tracking tools here: ark42.com/mtg/, but I don't know what the source for the data is.
We're not meant to advertise sites on here as most price lists are also shops, but a quick we search of "mtgo" ""trades" "prices" should get you the top few online card sellers.

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

We're not meant to advertise sites on here as most price lists are also shops, but a quick we search of "mtgo" ""trades" "prices" should get you the top few online card sellers.

None of the sites I listed are shops.

None of the sites I listed are shops.

and the sites you list are for paper, the poster said online and the only mtgo price lists that include commons and uncommons that I know of are shops.

and the sites you list are for paper, the poster said online and the only mtgo price lists that include commons and uncommons that I know of are shops.

That's a different criticism, and a valid one. I missed that he is looking for Magic Online prices, since he posted in the paper Magic forum for new and returning players. You are right that the sites I listed will not be useful for Magic Online prices.

The New Player forum for Magic Online is located here:

community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/7584... 

The MTG Familiar android app also will not be helpful, since it gets its prices from tcgplayer.com, which are for paper cards. The price difference between paper and online cards can often be substantial (try, as an exercise, to price out a Geist of Saint Traft and a Hallowed Fountain on both).

That's a different criticism, and a valid one. I missed that he is looking for Magic Online prices, since he posted in the paper Magic forum for new and returning players. You are right that the sites I listed will not be useful for Magic Online prices.

The New Player forum for Magic Online is located here:

community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/7584... 

The MTG Familiar android app also will not be helpful, since it gets its prices from tcgplayer.com, which are for paper cards. The price difference between paper and online cards can often be substantial (try, as an exercise, to price out a Geist of Saint Traft and a Hallowed Fountain on both).

Sorry if I can off bitter there.
Its just one of thoise things that bugs me about online prices. All the stores are online and so competive and have such tight margins so they won't share their price lists, which makes it hard to show people the price of cards without advertising.
But if the alternative is the sorts of prices you see in paper and the difficulty of shifting cards compared to online I guess its something we have to live with.

But if the alternative is the sorts of prices you see in paper and the difficulty of shifting cards compared to online I guess its something we have to live with.

But oddly, Geist of Saint Traft was much more expensive online than on paper. Is that due to the formats that are played online?

But oddly, Geist of Saint Traft was much more expensive online than on paper. Is that due to the formats that are played online?

I'm guessing that's due to mythics being the only rarity that is ever similarly priced online and in paper. Look at the price of rares to see how different it can be. This is probably due to redemption, which acts as an equalizer of prices, but only really works on the top rarity.
Also if Saint Traft is replaced or hosed by a card in GTC, that set isn't online yet so the old higher price is probably still in effect.