Another draft another question (RTR)

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, following my success in the earlier 8-4 draft, I decided to go again and built, in my opinion, one of the strongest decks I have ever built.  However, as with the last draft, I was left with a number of choices for the final few cards.  Given the very interesting debate we had last time, I thought I would ask what you would have played as your 21-23 cards.

Lands (17)

Azorius Guildgate
1 Mountain
7 Islands
7 Plains

Creatures (12)
Doorkeeper
Keening Apparation
3xSunspire Griffin 
Hover Barrier
2xHussar Patrol
Hypesonic Dragon
Mercurial Chemister
Voidwielder
Isperia's Skywatch

Spells (8)
Syncopate
Dispel
Dramatic Rescue
Izzet Keyrune
Inspiration
Kinghtly Valor 
Trostani's Judgment 
Sphinx's Revelation 

Choices - pick 3
Faerie Imposter
Azorius Arrester 
Crosstown Courier
Stealer of Secrets
Bazaar Krovod (foil too) 
Cancel

I picked Imposter, Arrester and Cancel.  I sided out Imposter every game and never played it.  I nearly always sided in Courier just to give me another 2 power early blocker.

I only managed to cast Revelation once in the final game of the final but I cast it for X=7, which was a nice way to win.

Thoughts?     

I would also go with Impostor, Arrester and Cancel. I really don't like Dispel as it is a too specific counterspell. I'd run the Courier in its place. I would change the land base a bit, running one more Plains instead of an Island, to make sure I have the for those Griffins.
I would also go with Impostor, Arrester and Cancel. I really don't like Dispel as it is a too specific counterspell. I'd run the Courier in its place. I would change the land base a bit, running one more Plains instead of an Island, to make sure I have the for those Griffins.

Exactly this.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Why do you only ask about the last three?
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
Why do you only ask about the last three?

Because I am comfortable with the 20 other spells and I am exploring how other people would finalise their decks.

In terms of Dispel, I would always run this card.  I think it is an amazingly strong card and counters all combat tricks and nearly all removal in the set all for .

I would run the Courier in place of the Imposter I think. The only card it synergizes with is Voidwelder. If you are playing someone with Stab Wounds or Arrests then side the Imposter in. The Courier isn't exciting, but having a two power creature in the early game can be relevant. 

Also, I like Dispel quite a bit in draft. Pretty much every deck is going to be running some instant removal and a few combat tricks and at the low cost of one mana you are at the very least likely going to come out ahead on tempo.

EDIT: And just realized as UA pointed, works with the Skyknight as well in the late game, though tougher to cast and if you want to be attacking with the Skyknight then you obviously aren't going to want to bounce it. It is another option though.  

I would run the Courier in place of the Imposter I think. The only card it synergizes with is Voidwelder. If you are playing someone with Stab Wounds or Arrests then side the Imposter in. The Courier isn't exciting, but having a two power creature in the early game can be relevant. 

Also, I like Dispel quite a bit in draft. Pretty much every deck is going to be running some instant removal and a few combat tricks and at the low cost of one mana you are at the very least likely going to come out ahead on tempo.

Imposter works with Arrester.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

This deck looks like it could be weak to early aggression. You need arrestor to stay alive, courier to trade with a gorehouse chainwalker, and the 3rd could be either the imposter or the stealer.

Imposter works with Arrester.

and with Skyknight
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
This deck looks like it could be weak to early aggression. You need arrestor to stay alive, courier to trade with a gorehouse chainwalker, and the 3rd could be either the imposter or the stealer.

The final was against a very aggressive Rakdos deck and its an interesting point you make.  In game one, my opponent went turn 1 Cackler into turn 2 Chainwalker and I was on 13 before I dropped my barrier.  However, once I have a couple of creatures in place, I stabalised very quickly as Hussar Patrol or Sunspire Griffin, which I often had because I had them in multipes, would hold off or at least trade with most early creatures.  As soon as I hit 5 mana I was generally okay as my creatures or tricks were nearly always better than theirs and the card draw from inspiration/chemister/revelation would normally pull me through (or in fact, always did as I went 6-1 and the only loss was down to a mull to 5 and I almost recovered in that game as well).
I don't think Izzet Keyrune is very good, especially as splash. I'm not sure you can afford to tap out on turn 3 for the sake of acceleration, especially when your deck is low on two-drops. I think you can safely replace it with a Mountain. Many of your cards help you fight mana glut.

I also agree with replacing one Island with a Plains so that you have 8 blue sources and 9 white sources, instead of the other way around.

Of the remaining 3, I would play Arrester, Courier, and Stealer of Secrets. Even though your deck isn't a super-detain deck, the Stealer could still occasionally get in and swing the game (for example with the help of Knightly Valor, Arrester, Dramatic Rescue, Voidwielder, Skywatch, Mercurial Chemister, etc). Even when it doesn't get in, it makes the opponent leave back more blockers than usual so it helps the game go on longer, helping your deck's plan to win with late game bombs.
Goblin Artisans - A Magic Design Blog by GDS2 Contestants and Collaborators
Sign In to post comments