dependancy examples?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
honestly, the dependancy rule in the layers system doesn't make sense to me. that is, i wouldn't be able to spot it, unless for EVERY time two effects apply in the same layer/sub-layer, i ask myself "is this a dependancy?" by mechanically going through the definition of a dependancy and asking if it applies in this case.

so what i'm looking for is if anyone knows of examples of dependancies? if i read enough of them, i'm thinking i'll be able to spot them far more easily.

the only examples i can find are from this cranialinsertion article:
www.mtgsalvation.com/836-cranial-inserti...

the two examples there are:
1. Blood Moon and Urborg,Tomb of Yawmoth
and
2. Dranlu's Crusade and Conspiracy

anyone know of any others?

PS
(i still don't know if i'm supposed to be posting questions like this in this forum, or in the Rules Theory and Templating forum.)
Enchanted Evening and Opalescence. The later is dependent on the former so long as there would be at least one more non-aura permanent without EE.

Life and Limb and Conspiracy set to saproling. LaL is dependent on Conpiracy so long as there would be at least one non-saproling creature under your control without Conspiracy. Conspiracy is dependent on LaL so long as there would be at least one non-creature forest under your control without LaL. Those two can form a dependency loop.

An enchanted Thran Golem with Humility out. The Golem's power/toughness boosting and ability granting ability is removed by Humility, so it is dependent on Humility.
rezzahan, thanks for the examples.
for some reason, even though i can process so much else from the comp rules even with a cold and a headache... dependancy still is hard for my brain to process. i'll really have to sit down with this one and think it through carefully. (maybe when i have more sleep or my cold is gone!)
honestly, the dependancy rule in the layers system doesn't make sense to me.

Join the club! Surprised

Wizards of the Coast: outsourced to Elbonia

All islands are plains.

All nonbasic lands are islands.

Obviously, the first effect would be dependent on the second because applying the second would change the set of objects that the first would apply to.

Yixlid Jailer and Necrotic Ooze

Ooze has to wait for Jailer because Jailer changes what Ooze's ability would do.

The tricky ones are things like Humility and Loxodon Warhammer where there is no dependency (unless Warhammer somehow became a creature).

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Let's go layer by layer:

Layer 1: Don't look for dependencies here, there aren't any.

Layer 2: An aura with "you control enchanted thing" depends on an effect that changes the control of the aura, because that effect will change what "you" means.
Example: Confiscate#1 enchanting Confiscate#2. Confiscate#2 depends on Confiscate#1.

Layer 3: No dependencies here with real cards that I'm aware of.

Layer 4: There are tons of dependencies here.

An effect that says "All X become Y" is dependent on an effect that turns a non-X into an X; it's also dependent on an effect that turns an X into a non-X.
Example: March of the Machines depends on Mycosynth Lattice.

A layer 4 effect from a static ability generated by the rules text of a land is dependent on a layer 4 effect that turns that land into a basic land (thus removing the ability).
Example: Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth depends on Blood Moon.

Layer 5: No dependencies here with real cards that I'm aware of.

Layer 6: A layer 6 effect from an ability of an object depends on a layer 6 effect that removes that ability from that object.
Example: If Humble resolved targeting Winged Sliver, Winged Sliver depends on Humble.

An effect that gives an ability on object#1 to object#2 depends on an effect that gives or removes abilities from object#1.
Example: Flight on Player A's Hill Giant. Player B controls Escaped Shapeshifter. Escaped Shapeshifter depends on Flight.

Sublayer 7a: An effect from a CDA that uses the power of Object#1 to calculate the power of Object#2 depends on an effect from a CDA that sets the power of Object#1.
Example: As Sutured Ghoul enters the battlefield, Soulless One is exiled. Sutured Ghoul depends on Soulless One.

Sublayers 7b, 7c, 7d, 7e: A grand total of zero dependencies.
Sign In to post comments