Executioner for nonoptimised group - a bit of help needed.

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
First a little backstory. The party consists of Eladrin Warlord/Infernal Strategist, Dragonborn Sorcerer/Lyrandar Windrider, Battlemind/Talaric Ironjack, Human Illusionist/Phiarlan Phantasmist. None of them is really optimised (the Lyrandar Windrider has 12 Con, the Battlemind fights with two weapons, etc.), so I don't want to hit the floor with 1.5 KPR ranger or something.
Still, since I am playing an assassin - I would like to be able to kill a standard or bloody an elite on nova round. Charge Op is something that I don't want to go into. Changing Race and Class is also not an option. Everything else is open for suggestions.
Show

Waeren, level 12 Drow, Warlock|Executioner, Death Dealer
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid): Sorcerer-King Pact (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlock: Hybrid Warlock Reflex
Guild Attacks (Hybrid): Red Scales (Hybrid)
Hybrid Executioner: Hybrid Executioner Will
Eldritch Strike: Eldritch Strike Charisma
Hybrid Poison Use 1:  Bloodroot Poison Recipe
Hybrid Poison Use 9: Carrion Crawler Brain Juice Recipe
Arcane Admixture Damage Type: Arcane Admixture Cold
Arcane Admixture Power: Eldritch Strike
Background: Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES Str 13, Con 13, Dex 21, Int 9, Wis 11, Cha 21.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES Str 12, Con 12, Dex 16, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 16.

AC: 27 Fort: 17 Reflex: 23 Will: 22 HP: 88 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 22

TRAINED SKILLS Stealth +18, Intimidate +20, Bluff +18, Thievery +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +12, Arcana +5, Diplomacy +11, Dungeoneering +6, Endurance +7, Heal +6, History +5, Insight +6, Nature +6, Perception +6, Religion +5, Streetwise +11, Athletics +7

FEATS
Level 1: Cursed Shadow
Level 2: Ki Focus Expertise
Level 4: Mark of Finding
Level 6: White Lotus Riposte
Level 8: Wintertouched
Level 10: Sneak of Shadows
Level 11: Arcane Admixture
Level 12: White Lotus Master Riposte

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Eldritch Strike
Lolthtouched: Cloud of Darkness
Hybrid at-will 1: Garrote Strangle
Hybrid at-will 1: Quick Lunge
Hybrid encounter 1: Assassin's Strike (Hybrid)
Hybrid daily 1: Hybrid Poison Use 1
Hybrid utility 2: Assassin's Bane
Hybrid encounter 3: Otherwind Stride
Hybrid daily 5: Tentacles of Cryonax
Hybrid utility 6: Ghost of the Rooftops
Hybrid daily 9: Hybrid Poison Use 9
Hybrid utility 10: Persistent Tail
Death Dealer encounter 11: Sizing Strike
Death Dealer utility 12: Gruesome Kill  

ITEMS Bloodroot Poison (heroic tier), Carrion Crawler Brain Juice (heroic tier), Shadow Master Ki Focus +3, Bracers of Mighty Striking (heroic tier), Davros Elden's Defensive Step (heroic tier), Leather Armor of Dark Majesty +2, Shielding Blade Rapier +1, Rhythm Blade Dagger +1, Siberys Shard of Merciless Cold (paragon tier), Helm of Seven Deaths, Gloves of Eldritch Admixture (heroic tier), Acrobat Boots (heroic tier)

With eldritch strike AP eldritch strike I can hit 120 average damage, but it is still a bit short of what I'm trying to achieve (lvl 13 standard is how much? 130?). Novice Power for Low Slash and Power Jewel, as well as Silvery Glow are planned for the next levels, but at the moment I simply can't find room for them.

At the moment I have picked Melee-Magthere champion for my character theme... Sohei will probably help me more, but everyone is sohei nowadays - is there some other suggestion that can help my case?
Ki Foci are trap options for 90% of all builds or close. Don't use them. Get a weapon and AIP it into an implement, because if you want to kill a standard on a nova turn you need the damage that comes from having a real weapon enchant.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
I see Ironwrought being a big improvement for this build - dealing so much damage with a single attack synergizes well with double-rolls. Also consider just using a better weapon with LBE.

Everything else looks pretty optimized, except for your D5 (I'm unfamiliar with the power).
I am going to assume your E7 was an extra d10 to your assassin strike?
Yes, E7 is assassin strike improvement - the d10s go well with charged helm of seven deaths.

Armisael (or anyone else) - what weapon will you recomend. I have picked ki focus since the 5 damage when hidden works can be applied on the initial attack and it saves me from spending a feat on AIP.
Frost Weapon will be nice for Low Slash I guess (and the feat spent on Arcane Admixture will go for AIP), but that will cost me the 2 AC from shielding|rhythm blade combo and the tripple keyword (necrotic/cold and whatever from gloves) first strike that goes through most of the resistances.

What about my warlock power choices (Otherwind Strike and Tentacles of Cryonax)? I have picked the first since it can help me really **** down artilery/skirmishers by imobilizng them and then hitting them with AoO or my theme power. What about the tentacles? They sound fun, but I have no practicle experience with them and the standard initial activation sucks a bit. 
Battlecrazed, for example? Off the top of my head, '+2d6 to damage' seems like a winner to me. Or of course, Frost as you said.

As for your power choices, I should point out that you didn't pick Touch of Command (AKA 'better than eldritch strike') AND you should take Flurry of Talons next level, which will significantly buff up your damage. Those two things help with killing mobs a lot.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
What about the tentacles? They sound fun, but I have no practicle experience with them and the standard initial activation sucks a bit. 

I do have practical experience with someone in my party using it. It sucks for the party, typically hindering them as much as the enemy, if not more. And it wastes actions. Super annoying. The player quickly ditched it after a few uses.
I did not pick Touch of Command since I already have theme power and master riposte to use against enemy attacks.
As for Flurry of Talons - care to elaborate what is so great about it besides the fact that it is almost an auto hit 3d8+mods power? Am I missing some reading of the power that makes it deal more damage than it seems to be doing?

Too bad for the tentacles - it sounded fun.    
Go read Flurry of Talons (and Shadow Fire) again. Notice that they have an 'and' in them, not the 'or' of Shadow Darts. Proceed to facepalm and realize the implications of it.

Also, you're missing the point. Touch of Command is better because it lets the entire party hammer the dude down. It's not just your attack, it's everybody's attacks. In other words, it can easily do half an enemy's health or more.
Reads Flurry of Talons... Oh... OH... any possible way to give it the cold keyword without changing my weapons?
By the way can the at-will power of the +1 Frost weapon be turned on and then I to proceed to make frost attacks THROUGH the ki focus by attack with said weapon.

Reads Flurry of Talons... Oh... OH... any possible way to give it the cold keyword without changing my weapons?
By the way can the at-will power of the +1 Frost weapon be turned on and then I to proceed to make frost attacks THROUGH the ki focus by attack with said weapon.

No, I tried that with my ranger.  You get either the enchant of the weapon /or/ the bonuses of  ki focus, but not both.
Soaring Blade might do it, or Malec-Keth, but not at your level. You'd have to wait four levels for it.
Eh, I'm rather attached to what death dealer and rogue MC does to my encounter nova... I think I'll pass.
Does it do that much? Where I'm looking from, it does less than Kensei, and that's kinda weak tbh.
Would you be up for changing classes around a bit if you get the same overall feel? Rogue/O-ssassin can have a nice nova without being too "overpowered" for a lower-op game, and it can really drop a lot of dice for Death Dealer. HT for Black Flame form is pretty flavorful with a drow as well.
Why is that? Provided my calculations are correct - the build should do about 100 damage (death dealer + gloves of eldritch admixture + weapon finesse + curse + sneak attack) on the initial strike, so the AP attack should contribute just contribute 20 more damage or so. Doesn't lvl 12 non-brute have about 120 hp? Next level flurry of tallons will replace the second eldritch strike, so that would make the it even more easy.
I am assuming CA, AP, stealth and 2 successful hits of curse. But that should still happen more often than once in a blue moon.

Does placing a curse break stealth? Or it just wastes the surprise round? 
Yes, sorry for not making that clearer in advance. I think that I won't always have the luxory to sneak on a standard and try to gib it - but when I do, I would like to seem like a semi-capable assassin at the very least. Skill challanges and encounters where WE get ambushed will provide enough APs for when I can get the drop on something.

One more question - can anyone suggest a way to give either low slash or furry of tallons the cold keyword? There is no "convert to cold" ki focus, right? Frost weapon is an option of course, but I'd rather keep the shielding/rhythm set up. Is there some other item that gives the frost keyword at least for 1-2 rounds?
Basically no. Get a frost weapon and use admixture for a better feat.

I went for the Ki-focus mostly because the I still get some side benefit from the expertise feat (otherwise I have to get versatile expertise) and because I hope to get the Ineffable Secret of Death as my main ki-focus in a few levels.
Besically its +3 damage on my eldritch strike and WLM riposte, +1 AC and phasing encounter power vs. +0.5 attack/+0.5 damage (due to the ki focus price tag) on all attacks and +8 damage on low slash/fury of talons (or it is +24 damage on fury of talons).
Weah... I'd say you are right.

Still can't get the hang of the Fury of Talons workings. What does exactly resolve as a single hit means. What makes Fury of Talons different than say... Twin Strike (besides the obvious things).  
Still can't get the hang of the Fury of Talons workings. What does exactly resolve as a single hit means. What makes Fury of Talons different than say... Twin Strike (besides the obvious things).  

It counts as one hit regardless, but if one roll hits, you do 1d8+mods for damage. Two rolls hitting does 1d8+mods and 2d8+mods, and all three hitting does 1d8+mods, 2d8+mods, and 3d8+mods. And since it's resolved as a single hit (unlike multiattacks like Twin Strike), if one of the rolls is a crit you get to max everything.
Sign In to post comments