Conversion doc for Season 12

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is out with the latest playtest.  I'm hoping my players will resist the temptation to look it over.

www.wizards.com/DND/DnDNext.aspx

@feetz_grande on Twitter

Wow! They really give away the farm!

Not happy with the look of the new forums? Check out the Skin Your Forums thread for a solution.

D&D Next: VALOREIGN Home Game Development, Grifford's Protection cleric domain, gojirra's (Un)Death cleric domain.

General Campaign Stuff: Bawylie's Budget Dungeons

One hole I see so far is there is no mention of magic items in the conversion only the unique items.  The magic items listed as treasure do not exisit in dndnext.  So with out clarification will need to review and update with items I select.

I found 2 non unique magic items the conversion doc didn't provide for.

1. On page 22 the players may find shoes of water walking. On page 21 of the playtest Magic Item doc there is a Ring of Water Walking which is nearly identical.

2. On page 37 the players may find two vials of holy water. My quick and dirty conversion would be Ranged: 15'/30', (one undead creature or demon), Dex vs. AC, 1d6 radiant damage. Or just swap them for potions of healing.

@feetz_grande on Twitter

What's bugging me is these monsters don't look nearly as interesting to run as their 4e counterparts. I wonder how much of it is Next design and/or monsters are still being worked on. I'll reserve my final judgement for the end of the season.

@feetz_grande on Twitter

Holy water is on page 9 of the equipment section of the current D&D Next rules.
What would you recommend we do for giving out basic magic items that are not listed in the adventure? You did not place a chart in the front or allude to any items beyond the level 1 dagger, the shoes, and the three required items. Someone on another post stated that they would be using a magic item table from a previous season but where and when should we give them out?

Here are some options. These options should be used if you are running Encounters using 4e rules, since D&D Next does not make the same assumptions of magic item availability that 4e does.

1) Use the flat bonus rules (talked about in the Dark Sun book, the DMG 2, and other publications) rather than giving out additional magic items.  This means at level 2 all PCs get a flat +1 to attack and damage rolls, as if they were using magic items. They also do an extra 1d6 on a critical hit. They would get a bonus to defenses at level 4, but this season only goes up to level 3. I personally use this in all of my games, Encounters and otherwise, to keep the math of the game on track but also make magic items much more rare and special.  Just remember if you use this, the bonuses of magic weapons doesn't stack with these flat bonuses.

2) If a session does not have a magic item provided in the text, make one of the items possessed by the bad guys magical at your discretion. If the main bad guy uses a longsword and leather armor, make it a +1 longsword or +1 leather armor. If you take this route, I would suggest making getting use out of the item part of the story. If it is leather +1, make it unusable unless the PCs can get a master leatherworker to mend it. Oops, the leatherworker is missing? Hey, now rescuing him is a priority! That +1 longsword was damaged in the fight? The smith needs to fix it--but wait, the smith is acting strange. Are you sure you want to leave it with him. Instead of finding potions, have the PCs find components for potions that the druid can make.

The option you choose should depend on the players you have. If they are players that gripe if they do not get treasure after every battle, make sure they get plenty of gold, gems, jewelry, art, etc.  They can spend that money to buy equipment, of course. But being a small hamlet, the trading post probably won't have much magic. But that keg of special ale the brewer is selling is so good that people say it tastes magical (gives temporary hit points for 5 minutes, but then does 1d6 damage after 5 minutes).

Want to encourage teamwork? Make the powers of the items in the adventure so that the items' users can only use those powers on allies, but not themselves.

Two people want the same item? Add a magical amulet as treasure that allows the wearer's weapon/implement/helm to have to same attributes as the original item. But maybe there is a drawback for using the amulet?

I hope that helps at least a bit.
I plan on making my players roll to see if defeated bad guys were carrying treasure using the  guidelines in the Dungeon Master's Book (Essentials pages 246-250).

We are running an intro encounter of bandits ambushing Sir Moonbrook's caravan on Week 0 as everyone's character is ready. As we run two sessions one has unknowingly rolled 120gp and a suit of Bloodcut Armour +1, while the other has rolled 30gp and a Stag Helm.

As we keep in touch via email/G+ I can get them to roll the next weeks possible treasures in advance and then define any items ready for the sessions.

But I do like the idea of having to get craftsmen in town to repair them to be usable.

"Well that encounter was easy....er, guys, why is the DM grinning?" (party members last words)

It's not a party till the screaming starts!

Follow me on Twitter @Vobeskhan or check out my blog http://vobeskhan.wordpress.com/