triggering question

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
me and a friend are having a little argument over a rule. Say I return every creature in my graveyard to play with a single spell. Many of my creatures have abilities that trigger when another creature enters the battlefield, so my question is do I get to choose the order my creatures enter the battlefield or how does it work? please provide site for ruling cause I have had a hard time tring to find it in the rules.
When multiple triggered abilities need to be put on the stack at the same time, they are put on the stack in "APNAP Order". That means that first the Active Player (the person who's turn it is) puts his abilities on the stack in any order he wants, and then the Non-Active Player puts his abilities on the stack in any order. Whichever ability is put on the stack last will resolve first.

It sounds like you control all the triggers, so you choose their order.
603.3b If multiple abilities have triggered since the last time a player received priority, each player, in APNAP order, puts triggered abilities he or she controls on the stack in any order he or she chooses. (See rule 101.4.) Then the game once again checks for and resolves state-based actions until none are performed, then abilities that triggered during this process go on the stack. This process repeats until no new state-based actions are performed and no abilities trigger. Then the appropriate player gets priority.

If a card like, say, Living Death puts a whole bunch of creatures onto the battlefield at the same time, they all enter at precisely the same time - you don't choose an order for them to enter. What this means is that for triggered abilities like that of Soul Warden, it sees all the creatures entering. So if you have 4 creatures + Soul Warden enter, you'll gain 4 life.

I will point out though that if a Clone or similar were returned to the battlefield though, it wouldn't be able to copy one of the other creatures entering - it can only copy a creature already on the battlefield. So if there are none already on the battlefield, it won't be able to copy anything.

I'll edit for the rules quote.

603.6a Enters-the-battlefield abilities trigger when a permanent enters the battlefield. These are written, “When [this object] enters the battlefield, . . . ” or “Whenever a [type] enters the battlefield, . . .” Each time an event puts one or more permanents onto the battlefield, all permanents on the battlefield (including the newcomers) are checked for any enters-the-battlefield triggers that match the event.

So in the case of the Soul Warden + 4 creatures, after they've all entered the battlefield (at the same time as per Living Death's instructions), the game is checked to see if any trigger conditions have been met. Soul Warden sees that 4 creatures entered the battlefield, so it triggers 4 times.
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
Sign In to post comments