Ideas for a Gamma World-based Toy Campaign

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi everyone,
I'm receiving Famine in Far-go in a couple of days so I'm thinking about running a Gamma World campaign for my group (a few veterans but mostly new/casual players) starting at level 1. I've been tossing around the idea to do a living toy campaign, similar to this.

Essentially, every origin combination is based on a toy with more fantastic abilities (Doppleganger, Radioactive, etc.) being the abilities that were projected onto the toy by the child. I think I'll follow the d20 War of Toy suggestion and make the scenario that the players were once beloved playthings that have since been abandoned by the now-adolescent owner. A supernatural force has begun to siphon the soul of the adolescent, and the players will need to defend the owner and combat the source of evil.

I have some questions about how to run this campaign, and I'm also open to any ideas or suggestions you might have to make this an exciting adventure.
Question 1: How does Ancient Junk fit into this campaign? Are all items full-sized? 
Question 2: How do Alpha Mutations fit in? 
Question 3: What are some unique toy/small-scale encounters or challenges? I plan on using 
Question 4: How might Cryptic Alliances work?
Question 5: What house rules might make this campaign even more interesting? 
Would this still be post-apocalyptic?

1) For ancient junk, I think it would depend on what they find what the scale is. If they find a truck, I would probably make it a smaller scale toy but a stappler would be left alone.

2) Ideally the players should have their own decks that are thematically consistent with their character. Why they can't access all powers all the time would need some explaination. Maybe they take time to "recharge" (like pressing a button to start a noise from a toy might not do anything if pressed while making noise). Maybe the toy is partially broken so the features don't always work. How would you deal with Alpha Flux? I'm not sure.

I don't really have any suggestions for the other questions at this time. Other than maybe watching Toy Story movies and Small Soldiers. Gremlins might also have good ideas for smaller scale encounters.

Identical Games

D&D Published World foums at The Piazza (Dark Sun, Mystara, Spelljammer, Planescape, and more); Core Coliseum; D&D Material including my Master/Expert DM Competition entries

Thanks dulsi.
Omega Tech = accessories from other toys left lying around.
Alpha Mutations = limbs or other bits from fallen toys that get swapped out when it's time to use the power. Want to use that tentacle attack? Swap arms.

@feetz_grande on Twitter

Omega Tech = accessories from other toys left lying around.
Alpha Mutations = limbs or other bits from fallen toys that get swapped out when it's time to use the power. Want to use that tentacle attack? Swap arms.

LOL! That is a really great idea for Alpha Mutations... Thanks!
Sign In to post comments