Class Features - Brand new to the game

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I haven't been able to find an answer for this. Is there a limit to the number of class features you can have? Do you have to choose just one or two or can you use all of them?
There is no limit to the number of class features you can have but you only have those you are high level enought to get.
I haven't been able to find an answer for this. Is there a limit to the number of class features you can have? Do you have to choose just one or two or can you use all of them?

I'm not quite sure I understand the question. As you level, you gain whatever class features you are supposed to gain. Sometimes you have a choice, sometimes you don't. Because multiclassing works so differently in 4E from previously, most classes are front loaded. For example, Rangers from PHB1 have a choice of Prime Shot or Running Attack at first level. Your DM may allow you to retrain one for the other, but there is no way to gain both at the same time.

Posting a more specific question will get you a more specific answer. It is much better to just come out with what you are trying to accomplish instead of dancing around it. We'll either give you a definitive and complete answer, or we will help you figure out how to do it within the rules.

Do you mean background choices?
Sorry, I thought I had phrased it as best I could. I'll give it another shot.
So, for a Ranger for example. In the handbook, it says that the class features are Fighting Style, Hunter's Quarry and Prime Shot. Do I get all three of those right off at 1st level, or do I have to choose only one or two?
You get what it says you get.  The only time it tells you that you don't get everything are when it tells you specifically to choose.

You get Fighting Style, but you have to choose which style, so you don't get them all.

Classes tend to have quite a few features at first level.  This is largely because 4e classes, unlike those in previous editions, don't tend to get more features as they level up.  You get powers, but not new class features.  Mostly.  Some classes do have more features as they level.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Because of the way they laid out Prime Shot and Running Attack in the compendium, those two can make it look confusing, but for the specific case of the Ranger, you get all of the following at first level:

1) Any 1 Fighting Style
AND
2) Hunter's Quarry
AND
3) A choice between Prime Shot and Running Attack

Sign In to post comments