Aberrant Origin for players

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
hm...

I'm thinking about creating a player race for my homebrew with roots deep in the far realm.

Here my question:

Can I neglect the aberrant property (like WotC does with living construct) or should I count it as a power of that race.

I don't feel like the races of D&D 4e are balanced anymore (especially Shardmind, Hengeyokai and Warforged), but I can't really do the maths, it's just a gut feeling.

Maybe I'm thinking too hard about it, but the campaign is supposed to run a long time and I don't want this race to bite me in the back later.

The general idea is:

Aquatic refugees from the far realm. So aberrant origin and water breathing are a must. This would leave me open for just one major power.

I don't feel like the races of D&D 4e are balanced anymore (especially Shardmind, Hengeyokai and Warforged), but I can't really do the maths, it's just a gut feeling.

Mind = blown

Shades and vryloka are too weak, due to racial penalties.

Pixies have a fly speed.

You're going to pick three of the most mediocre races of the game, call them unbalanced, and then talk about making one with the amphibious tag?  I'm confused!
Pixies are on my "bad" list too. Crane-hengeyokais have a fly speed too.
I find telepathic communication a very powerful ability.
With the warforged it's that the living construct thing doesn't count against it's benefits imho.

Normally players can take a feat to become aberrant, so this is considered powerful by the developers.
Living construct, fey and immortal are not.

I consider waterbreathing to be immensely powerful too. Though its use is situational.

I'm just looking for input from other DMs and players

Edit: Wrote this from my mobile, so please excuse the briefness ^^
Pixies are on my "bad" list too. Crane-hengeyokais have a fly speed too.
I find telepathic communication a very powerful ability.
With the warforged it's that the living construct thing doesn't count against it's benefits imho.

Normally players can take a feat to become aberrant, so this is considered powerful by the developers.
Living construct, fey and immortal are not.

I consider waterbreathing to be immensely powerful too. Though its use is situational.

I'm just looking for input from other DMs and players

They made a couple of themes that were aberrant.  Check them out, use them as a base.
I don't think you need to worry about define the race as aberrant.  I think you can have that origin for free.  Aquatic, might want to be considered a racial feature
hm...

I looked at Vryloka and Shade again and must say, I find the trade-offs for those penalties well worth it.

I don't like races that require you to waste a feat slot, just to be one of them (i.e. Forgeborn Dwarves, Dusk Elves, Foulborn and the like), that's why I want to make the aberrant origin an integral part of the race.

The Living Construct for example grants the following boons:
- no need to eat, drink or sleep (so survival settings are a breeze for them)
- shorter resting time needed
- better saving throws against ongoing damage
- save vs death either their roll or a 10

This is all for free. No feat required, no penalty assigned and it doesn't count against the races power count (if we go by the guidelines outlined in this forum).

I don't see a reason why the aberrant origin is made a feat, since it doesn't give any benefits for free. I don't have the big picture in mind, when it comes to powers that deal differently with aberrant creatures though.

My impulse thus far is to simply go with the origin for free and work around how I can implement their aquatic theme without giving them water-breathing (which I consider too powerful). 
Water breathing is a rarity, but not powerful. By all rights, most campaigns that are not set firmly smack dab in the center of water won't use the feature at all save for maybe once or twice. Go ahead and give em aquatic keyword and be done with it. It's not going to break the race in any way shape or form at all where mechanics are concerned. Most of the things the PCs using this race will be likely to end up fighting in the water are other Aquatic creatures as well, so not even the aquatic combat bonus is abusable.

Happy Gaming

I looked at Vryloka and Shade again and must say, I find the trade-offs for those penalties well worth it.

Stop here.  This is 4e.  No penalty to a race is acceptable.  Period.

...Except Small size.  That's a sacred cow no one seems to want to touch. 

The Living Construct for example grants the following boons:
- no need to eat, drink or sleep (so survival settings are a breeze for them)
- shorter resting time needed
- better saving throws against ongoing damage
- save vs death either their roll or a 10

Check a more current source.  These are all three separate features, all of which are on the warforged.  Shardminds have to spend a full six hours for an extended rest, don't have a bonus on saves against ongoing damage, and can't take 10 on death saves.

I don't see a reason why the aberrant origin is made a feat, since it doesn't give any benefits for free. I don't have the big picture in mind, when it comes to powers that deal differently with aberrant creatures though.

My impulse thus far is to simply go with the origin for free and work around how I can implement their aquatic theme without giving them water-breathing (which I consider too powerful). 

I wholeheartedly agree.  Origin is a free feature, swim speed and aquatic/amphibious keyword (together) constitute a major feature.  I am, however, just a bit lost on how this would be "aberrant," though?  Some sort of Cthulhumanoid, maybe?  PC chuul?  Horseshoecrabfolk?
hm...

Stop here.  This is 4e.  No penalty to a race is acceptable.  Period.

...Except Small size.  That's a sacred cow no one seems to want to touch.

I agree, this is why I wouldn't enforce these penalties on a player choosing such a race.
In past campaigns I worked around the small size weapon drawback by simply adding a few more weapon choices that mitigated this a little bit. 

I wholeheartedly agree.  Origin is a free feature, swim speed and aquatic/amphibious keyword (together) constitute a major feature.  I am, however, just a bit lost on how this would be "aberrant," though?  Some sort of Cthulhumanoid, maybe?  PC chuul?  Horseshoecrabfolk?

The basic idea is either escaped (and altered by) from aboleth slavery or directly from the far realm, emerging on the shores of the world. In the former case it's just a little flavour, in the latter it might be the hook for renewed interest in studying the far realm in my campaign world (since there is now evidence of a race originating there, that doesn't hate every other form of sentient life).

Though right now I'm just in the beginning stages of how this world is different from others and I just want to add 1 or 2 races to the count already published, which are specific to this world. The first two ideas where illithid-like pcs (which I scrapped, because I want Illithids to be a major threat in my campaign and races similiar to them would have too many problems) and a humanoid beholder-like race. So I changed the first to be what is still not conceived as a full-fledged idea the aquatic (or amphibean) beings with aberrant origin.
Furthermore I'm trying to adapt Spelljammer races to 4e rules (especially the Rastipede who will play a vital role on my main continent).