Monk|Rogue rules questions.

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Working on my build and I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on a few issues.

1.) What exactly constitutes a "teleportation attack" for the purpose of utilizing the Blinking property of the Transcendent Ki focus?

2.) If I add a teleport to an attack as part of the same action using an item like Staff of the Traveler, does that make it a teleportation attack? Does it add the Teleportation keyword? If adding properties to attacks doesn't add the appropriate keywords, then how does frostcheese work?

3.) If I am using Staff of the Traveler to teleport whenever I would shift, does Mark of Passage both add 1 extra square to both the distance I shift and the distance I teleport? The wording seems to suggest that only the teleport benefits, and that's how I would rule it in my own game but I'm curious as to how other DMs interpret this.

4.) If the Cunning Sneak class feature says I can make a Stealth check to become hidden if I have any concealment or any cover, does that mean ANY cover or concealment, such as the conditional cover granted by Dragonscale Shield or Shielding Whirlwind Style, or the conditional concealment from Amulet of Material Darkness? 

5.) If I am using a ki focus to make an attack through a light blade or a staff (via Sneaky Staff), do I still qualify for attacks that require a light blade?

Working on my build and I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on a few issues.

1.) What exactly constitutes a "teleportation attack" for the purpose of utilizing the Blinking property of the Transcendent Ki focus?

2.) If I add a teleport to an attack as part of the same action using an item like Staff of the Traveler, does that make it a teleportation attack? Does it add the Teleportation keyword? If adding properties to attacks doesn't add the appropriate keywords, then how does frostcheese work?

3.) If I am using Staff of the Traveler to teleport whenever I would shift, does Mark of Passage both add 1 extra square to both the distance I shift and the distance I teleport? The wording seems to suggest that only the teleport benefits, and that's how I would rule it in my own game but I'm curious as to how other DMs interpret this.

4.) If the Cunning Sneak class feature says I can make a Stealth check to become hidden if I have any concealment or any cover, does that mean ANY cover or concealment, such as the conditional cover granted by Dragonscale Shield or Shielding Whirlwind Style, or the conditional concealment from Amulet of Material Darkness? 

5.) If I am using a ki focus to make an attack through a light blade or a staff (via Sneaky Staff), do I still qualify for attacks that require a light blade?

1) Any attack power with the teleportation keyword.  This would include full discipline powers where there is no teleport as part of the attack technique, but it has the keyword due to the movement technique.

2) Not sure on this one, but I think by RAW the answer is no.  Frostcheese is different because adding damage of a certain type specically adds the damage keyword for that damage type.

3) No.  You can either shift and gain the one extra square, or you can use the staff to teleport instead, and gain the one extra square.  Once you choose to teleport, you are no longer shifting, so you would lose that boost from the Mark of Passage and gain the teleportation one instead.

4) I think I'll defer to LoW on this one.  My gut says no because you only have cover under the condition that a certain attack type is directed at you.

5) Yes, because the attack is still being made with the blade or staff, you're just using the ki focus's magical properties in place of any possessed by the blade or staff.
2) Not sure on this one, but I think by RAW the answer is no.  Frostcheese is different because adding damage of a certain type specically adds the damage keyword for that damage type.

That's what it seems like, but I haven't seen any rules text to support that it only works for damage types, or anything that would support that Frostcheese actually works RAW, though it obviously must. 

4) I think I'll defer to LoW on this one.  My gut says no because you only have cover under the condition that a certain attack type is directed at you.

While it definitely fits under the category of ANY cover or concealment, I think I'm going to have to ask Customer Service about that one before I'm comfortable saying that it works.
3: Yes - SoTT says 'instead of shifting, teleport the distance you would have shifted'.  With mark of Passage, you would have shifted two, so you teleport two.

4: It depends entirely on the phrasing of the benefits concerned.  If it says 'you gain concealment (from a given enemy/ies) for a certain time period', then yes, you can use that to hide with Cunning Sneak (from the given enemies).  If it says 'concealment from a certain attack type' then no - you're only concealed for the purposes of the attacks, not anything else - it's for this reason that you can't generally use cover from allies to hide, because they only grant cover from ranged attacks.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
3: Yes - SoTT says 'instead of shifting, teleport the distance you would have shifted'.  With mark of Passage, you would have shifted two, so you teleport two.

I think we both gave the same answer, but I phrased it as No and you gave it as Yes. 

OP asked if he actually gets +2 squares, because Mark of Passage gives +1 whenever you shift and +1 whenever one of your powers lets you teleport, so he adds one to the shift, it becomes a teleport via the staff, and then he adds another 1.

RAW seems to be that you only 1 total extra square. Either think of it as the Shift distance gets +1 and then that becomes a teleport, or the shift becomes a teleport so it no longer gets the +1 for being a shift, but then it gets the +1 for being a teleport instead.
  You can't get +2 because its either a shift or a teleport, and can't be both.