Mounted Combat

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
While mounted are you required to hold the reins in order to direct your mount? If so, with both hands or just one? If not, do you direct the mount with your feet, have you lashed the reins to your arm or maybe do you use verbal commands, etc.? Also, do you include your own weight when figuring out if the mount is encumbered or do you count only your weapon(s)/armour/gear? If you include your own weight in the calculation how would a Dragonborn Paladin ever be able to ride anything? Thank you kindly.
While mounted are you required to hold the reins in order to direct your mount? If so, with both hands or just one? If not, do you direct the mount with your feet, have you lashed the reins to your arm or maybe do you use verbal commands, etc.?

Mechanically? No, it takes no hands to steer your mount. Practically? Dunno, I've been on horseback for all of one week of my life.

Also, do you include your own weight when figuring out if the mount is encumbered or do you count only your weapon(s)/armour/gear? If you include your own weight in the calculation how would a Dragonborn Paladin ever be able to ride anything? Thank you kindly.

Officially you do, but only a jerk DM enforces that rule.
If what was shown in film is at all close to accurate, and expert horseman on a well-trained steed should have no problem in not holding the reins while in mounted combat. I've seen indians(again, purely in film), riding bareback, going full-throttle(so to speak), while using a bow and arrow.

I'm reminded of the saying "the rule of cool" Cool
If you are headed on a straight path you can rest the reins on the horn. When I take video from on horseback that is what I do. Though it's harder to do at faster speeds because you're going to need to lean forward. You need a trained horse that is worked with daily if you were going to go into combat with it. 

For the weight, d&d includes the rider weight as far as I have read. Though in reallity the rule of thumb is a horse can carry up to 20% of it's own weight. 

Concisely: I want a system where players don't have to pick between mechanics and roleplaying. I hope 5E fails asap so a better system can be made asap.

( I can't believe what they did to the forums. The sterile lack or color is rather depressing. )

While mounted are you required to hold the reins in order to direct your mount?

No.

If you include your own weight in the calculation how would a Dragonborn Paladin ever be able to ride anything?

From the Rules Forum FAQ, if desired:
"Is a mount slowed when carrying a heavy character (or two light ones)? Strictly according to the encumbrance rules, yes. However, this appears to possibly be an oversight (especially in the case of say, huge mounts). If desired, PHB p.222 says: "The amount you carry should rarely be an issue, and you don’t need to calculate the weight your character is hauling around unless it’s likely to matter.", and DMG p.105 says: "Niggling details of food supplies and encumbrance usually aren’t fun, so don’t sweat them". Discussed here."

Sign In to post comments