gatecrash: is this just me?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
After reviewing the card image gallery, I am speculating that gruul will be very underpowered. After looking through all the cards, i saw that the simic is taking up a lot of space in the mono green cards even when they dont have the guild symbol, telling me that the simic may be easily overpowered. My biggest worry is that those "simic" guildless cards are taking away from the gruul who seem to me to be an afterthought. the gruul seem to be reliant on a lot of mana and there is only 2 green or red cards that can help that. As a gruul fan, i am very worried that the prerelease is going to be a bust for them. please share any other percieved imbalances in the new set.
It was a bust for Izzet

I'm sure WotC does their best to distribute useful cards between all the colors and guilds (cough cough)
Would you kindly pinpoint the simic oriented cards you are refering to?

ivy lane denizen
burst of strength
forced adaptation
miming slime

Flavourfully those may seem like simic but they work just as fine with gruul

crowned ceratok
ooze flux
hindervines

those work wonderfully with simic, but are enabled by those first 3 up there.
I play for fun
Miming Slime is better is Gruul. Bloodrush a guy then play it in second main...
Ceratok is not bad for Gruul either, the natural trample makes it a good bloodrush target.
Mono green in general is strong. It's got a lot of ways to outrace decks like Burst of Strength, Hindervines (as long as you're not against Simic) and even Verdant Haven. And there's no rule saying that Gruul decks can't use Crocanura to watch the skies, they shouldn't have any trouble evolving it.
And you have some mono green cards that are clearly intended for Gruul like Spire Tracer and Wildwood Rebirth.
After reviewing the card image gallery, I am speculating that gruul will be very underpowered. After looking through all the cards, i saw that the simic is taking up a lot of space in the mono green cards even when they dont have the guild symbol, telling me that the simic may be easily overpowered. My biggest worry is that those "simic" guildless cards are taking away from the gruul who seem to me to be an afterthought. the gruul seem to be reliant on a lot of mana and there is only 2 green or red cards that can help that. As a gruul fan, i am very worried that the prerelease is going to be a bust for them. please share any other percieved imbalances in the new set.

How are they simic cards if they don't have the guild symbol?

Btw, gruul, has a much easier time evolving creatures than simic does.

And it's just you, Gruul is fine. 

Justification here:
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Simic plays creatures that become bigger over time. Gruul starts a bit slower, but then starts dropping fatty after fatty, so they are pretty even.

Many of the monogreen cards work in both archetypes, though, which makes green very strong in general. 
thanks for the feedback and opinions guys. you have made me realize a few oversights i made. what about other guilds like dimir or boros? too much milling and aggro?
not enough twidling

I'm a little satuated at the moment I'll get green done tonight
NO WAR

They've killed Fritz
I've been shadow banned by youtube my comments only show when I'm logged

does any see my comment here ?

thanks for the feedback and opinions guys. you have made me realize a few oversights i made. what about other guilds like dimir or boros? too much milling and aggro?

I think the devs might have been a little scared of cipher.  I think a lot of the cipher effects are such that for limited a CMC of N is too good but a CMC of N+1 is not good and devs
decided err on the underpowerd side.   I dont have any experience on running mill decsk so I cant judge that but it does seem to have been pushed for this set.

I think the devs might have been a little scared of cipher.  I think a lot of the cipher effects are such that for limited a CMC of N is too good but a CMC of N+1 is not good and devs
decided err on the underpowerd side.   I dont have any experience on running mill decsk so I cant judge that but it does seem to have been pushed for this set.

Free mechanics cause problems.

They didn't take chances, and I'm glad they learned from their mistakes. 
It's just you.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

While true, the conditional nature of Cipher leads me to believe that it'll be basically forgotten soon enough.  every cipher spell, bar one, has cipher priced at about ... which would be fair if any cipher spells were instants and allowed you to ninja a double cast.  On sorceries, or D seems like a better price...

Then again, the FFL has to take into account that jerk Invisible Stalker, not just the limited environment

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

While true, the conditional nature of Cipher leads me to believe that it'll be basically forgotten soon enough.  every cipher spell, bar one, has cipher priced at about ... which would be fair if any cipher spells were instants and allowed you to ninja a double cast.  On sorceries, or D seems like a better price...

Then again, the FFL has to take into account that jerk Invisible Stalker, not just the limited environment

Too bad the devs cant magicly change the cards after the sets bee out for a few weeks.  It is also too bad that they can't use data from real world gate crash to develop Dragons Maze.
They'll have time to change a Cipher card or two in DGM if GTC shows that they all kinda really suck. Which seems very possible. Hands of Binding and Stolen Identity seem the most playable.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
I'm glad they priced the Cipher high, since repeatable effects can be extremely abusable and annoying.  My guess is they didn't want a Cipher control deck being the next Delver or Affinity.  But who knows, we'll all find out this weekend.     
Duskmoot - UUB
Instant
Creatures you control gain shroud until end of turn.
Cipher

Sign In to post comments