Lords of Creation : Chaos Within (OOC Thread)

1485 posts / 0 new
Last post
hehe burn!

anyways! There are always room for players! And just because a domain has been "claimed" doesn't mean that there cant be more than one of. I would say let the concepts be different though. I think the concepts are different enough yet similar that they wont clash, but work well, and it will make my job just that more fun!

As for who all gets in first, second, w/e...... well it really depends on how many people we have signed up by game start and relavence. I believe that if we have a lot of people signed up when we start, then we will take X number of players and those are the first ascended. After that it is a matter of time. If we don't have a lot of players, well......we'll see! Tongue Out

and James: you don't need to die to become evil! You just need the right motivations to become evil! (like cookies!)

By the way I highly believe that cake and cookies are fundemental building blocks of the universe!

show

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isred.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/6.jpg)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg)

I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.

Well, that settles it then.  New name for this iteration will be 'Candyland'

God Name: Bura.
Greater Domain: Sugar
Moderate Domain: NA
Lesser Domain: NA
Appearance:  Typically an amorphous storm of snow-white sugar, Bura is capable of temporarially carmalizing herself into a humanoid shape when the need demands.  Is constantly trying to pass off cookies to other Gods.  One of her titles is 'Mistress of Snickerdoodles', although the meaning of this is lost to the ages.
Divine Symbol:  A smiling, happy face.

In case it wasn't abundantly clear...
 I'm kidding.  Although now I want to do a spoof LoC for a week or two just to have some fun.
Well, that settles it then.  New name for this iteration will be 'Candyland'

In case it wasn't abundantly clear...
 I'm kidding.  Although now I want to do a spoof LoC for a week or two just to have some fun.

Dammit! I was getting excited then!
I like it, Pen_Draggin.

I see it as our gods being opposites, (much the same way as fire and cold), but in terms of temperment, rather than in absolute elemental declaration. That is to say, Leaf is an embodiment of physical, primal life (growing, plants, etc.), while Sa is an embodiment of constructed abstractions, such as the aesthetics of beauty and promises that arise from life.

It's not as obvious dichotomy as life/death, but I think it has promise stemming from the opposite-ness all the same. 
Raven, would you say Sa is chaotic neutral or good? I could see Leaf being lawful. Probably not lawful evil, but if people have ideas for an evil plant god, I would be happy to play around with the concept.
Definitely chaotic neutral. (That said, I'm totes up for talking about this more, but I am going to be without internet for a few days, so this is probably the last message you'll hear from me 'till Thursday).
I would be much more eager to start as an early god if I had a fire god to contrast me.
I didn't feel like Ice/Cold was fundamental enough for one of the first gods, but a god of fire would mean we are the opposite ends of Temparature, which is quite a fundamental aspect of nature.

Edit: On Second Thought (No disrespect here, nor am I slating anyone's concepts) a lot of the other current gods don't control Domains "fundamental" to existance.
I wouldn't consider Flowers/Promises, Travel/Survival and Orcs/Courage/Tactics central to existance, but thats just me. I was assuming that All starting gods would be something seen as a omnipotent forces such as death, life, justice ETC . But It's not my place to say when gods of certain domains arrive. If the first god to rise in this universe is the god of Candyfloss, so be it.

Well, I had been thinking about this as well. I was actually under the impression that we would be ascending in an already established world with other players who were already gods. But now I see we will be starting our own world.

I don't really have an interest in playing an elemental god or a god of something as broad and encompassing as "life" (as an example). I'm liking the idea of playing an orc god.

That said, I can see how he might spring up though. And regarding the god of cold or ice being around at the beginning, I can see that as well.

If we imagine the concept of "cold" as "without energy" or "with little energy", then we can imagine as cold being the first thing around before anything else exists (though with nothing around to feel it). The god of cold can have existed dormant perhaps, before anything else, when nothing was stirring in the universe, and then comes to life when things occur that can feel it and diminish it (sentience and energy/motion).

That's just an idea as to why a cold god might be one of the first gods.

Now, regarding Kuranath... I imagine that he springs up from the first conflict or the first instance where fear was felt. Before the first conflict, courage and tactics do not exist. But in the moment that fear is felt for the first time, or a battle breaks out, courage and tactics manifest. Kuranath is born out of that event, with the courage and mind for battle. Quite possibly, a sibling is born at the same time as well out of the fear that was felt and had to be overcome (but I leave that to someone else if they feel so inclined).

I would have typed more for Kuranath when I posted but I wasn't sure how much of the gods is determined before the game and how much evolves organically in game.
Khan, I figured you'd probably start out similarly... with the primary 'domains' of courage and tactics followed soon thereafter by the creation of one of the first races, the orcs... which would do courageous, tactical things (of course).  

Question: I know we start out with three points specifically for Domains, but can we spend a couple more from the pool of seven points to acquire another domain or two?

I'm wondering if Kuranath could have started as a god of war or something similar and then create the orcs as guardians in a new world/universe.

(So in other words, acquire the War domain with the three points and then Courage/Tactics/Orc from the other seven points.)

Sorry if I'm a little slow on the up-take .

EDIT: Also, I can see the difference between Strategy (a moderate domain) and Tactics (a lesser domain). But what distinction should I be making between Bravery (a moderate domain) and Courage (a lesser domain)? Thanks!
Absolutely you can (although please spend them when the game starts as opposed to before so we admins can keep everything straight)  I think a god of War makes perfect sense.

Bravery and Courage...  errrr....  You know, I can't really think of a distinction either.  They're mostly synonyms, after all. 
Maybe defining a god's role in the world by domain isn't the way to go? I can't name any mythological gods of time, cold, or life, personally. I guess you could say that someone like Hephaestus was a god of fire, but that doesn't seem like an important facet of him, and he wasn't one of the first gods, either.

Maybe domains are just a way of saying what people worship (or will worship) the character for? Perhaps it's more important to people that Priuinus challenges them and helps them grow stronger, than that she's a goddess of the cold. Or that Zebus (with all his metroids and space pirates) leads the souls to the afterlife, than that without him death wouldn't exist. Or that Kuranath promotes courage in battle, than that... um... Okay, he seems rather worshipper focused already.

It might mess with the rules too much, but I think that the first gods should focus more on what they will do, than what they look like or "are."

As for Leaf and Sa, that's great, Raven. I think we have a nice pairing, then: Order and Chaos. The plant thing wouldn't be so central, and so its less important that they be different. Topheh, James, maybe your gods also have a similar alignment difference? Priuinus seems rather good-aligned, while from what little Topheh said about Agni, he seems more likely to be evil (and Sa and Leaf might team up with both, depending on their own needs). The alignment difference would be sort of what's important, with the elemental overlap being flavor but, well, as important as the similar flavor between Sa and Leaf? Just an idea.
Not 'evil' per say, but certainly ranking high on the 'callousness' scale.  I think that there will be a good distinction between James' and mine's gods.

And I agree with you that the domains are more 'what do people worship you for' rather than funamentally 'what you are.'  That said, the domains do serve as a touchstone for other players who want to interact with you.  'God X cares about these things because they are the domains that that God chose to be worshipped for.'      

Well, I had been thinking about this as well. I was actually under the impression that we would be ascending in an already established world with other players who were already gods. But now I see we will be starting our own world.

I don't really have an interest in playing an elemental god or a god of something as broad and encompassing as "life" (as an example). I'm liking the idea of playing an orc god.

That said, I can see how he might spring up though. And regarding the god of cold or ice being around at the beginning, I can see that as well.

If we imagine the concept of "cold" as "without energy" or "with little energy", then we can imagine as cold being the first thing around before anything else exists (though with nothing around to feel it). The god of cold can have existed dormant perhaps, before anything else, when nothing was stirring in the universe, and then comes to life when things occur that can feel it and diminish it (sentience and energy/motion).

That's just an idea as to why a cold god might be one of the first gods.

Now, regarding Kuranath... I imagine that he springs up from the first conflict or the first instance where fear was felt. Before the first conflict, courage and tactics do not exist. But in the moment that fear is felt for the first time, or a battle breaks out, courage and tactics manifest. Kuranath is born out of that event, with the courage and mind for battle. Quite possibly, a sibling is born at the same time as well out of the fear that was felt and had to be overcome (but I leave that to someone else if they feel so inclined).

I would have typed more for Kuranath when I posted but I wasn't sure how much of the gods is determined before the game and how much evolves organically in game.

There might be some confusion but I was just stating I was expecting the first gods to control more primal and fundamental forces. I'm under the impression we'll be creating our own planent and for that we need gods able to do so. I see how gods of time, fire, cold, Life ETC can create a planet but I'd just see a god of orcs waiting for it to be built before he can doing regarding his own domains. That's why I thought it made sense for the first gods to emcompass "greater" forces.

Maybe defining a god's role in the world by domain isn't the way to go? I can't name any mythological gods of time, cold, or life, personally. I guess you could say that someone like Hephaestus was a god of fire, but that doesn't seem like an important facet of him, and he wasn't one of the first gods, either.

Maybe domains are just a way of saying what people worship (or will worship) the character for? Perhaps it's more important to people that Priuinus challenges them and helps them grow stronger, than that she's a goddess of the cold. Or that Zebus (with all his metroids and space pirates) leads the souls to the afterlife, than that without him death wouldn't exist. Or that Kuranath promotes courage in battle, than that... um... Okay, he seems rather worshipper focused already.

It might mess with the rules too much, but I think that the first gods should focus more on what they will do, than what they look like or "are."

As for Leaf and Sa, that's great, Raven. I think we have a nice pairing, then: Order and Chaos. The plant thing wouldn't be so central, and so its less important that they be different. Topheh, James, maybe your gods also have a similar alignment difference? Priuinus seems rather good-aligned, while from what little Topheh said about Agni, he seems more likely to be evil (and Sa and Leaf might team up with both, depending on their own needs). The alignment difference would be sort of what's important, with the elemental overlap being flavor but, well, as important as the similar flavor between Sa and Leaf? Just an idea.

I also agree with this way of looking at gods. It was my intention for Pruinus to affect the world in some way more then freezing it and her personality to be more then "I AM THE GOD OF ICE, ALL SHALL BE FROZEN!!"

I'm considering pick up a domain along the lines of Evolution or Challenge to show these traits pretty early in the game.

Given how Pruinus supports life, whilst having no direct control over it, I can see herself allying or at least having some form of mutual relationship with Leaf. Also not mentioned in your post, considering her desire to challenge life to improve and survive in the long run by setting it challenges, I see her having some involvement with Anke Dui, although how this play out I cannot fathom currently.

Using the 3E alignment system, I view Priunus as Neutral Good.

Not 'evil' per say, but certainly ranking high on the 'callousness' scale.  I think that there will be a good distinction between James' and mine's gods.

And I agree with you that the domains are more 'what do people worship you for' rather than funamentally 'what you are.'  That said, the domains do serve as a touchstone for other players who want to interact with you.  'God X cares about these things because they are the domains that that God chose to be worshipped for.'      

There's a good chance I'm wrong considering I don't have any Psionic powers to read your thoughts on what You're god is going to be like (Or my powers don't work at such distances ;D ) is that Agni will not be evil but will definitely be more aggressive and confrontational.

Let's imagine a scenario where Pruinus and Agni fight for the same side, against evil.

Pruinus will try to hold off the fight as long as possible, wishing not to watse any life in the process and when she does fight, unless the situation is truly dire, she will not put her followers/creations at risk for her own victory. She will not ask others to fight for her.

Agni will have elements of the "Good is not nice" trope will be a bit more anti-heroic. As soon as trouble arises, he fights, bringing the full force of any allies and followers he can against the foe, even if it means that some of them will be inevitably lost in battle.

Yeah, that sounds about right.  Personally nice to the other divines, but profoundly uncaring about how his actions are going to affect the world at large, and his followers in specific.  I mean, the guy quite literally drools magma :D

This actually is a good segue to a point that I wanted to make earlier.

As mentioned in the guidelines for new Gods, fluff (non AP-using actions) is actually quite powerful in this game and most small actions do not necesarially need AP.  For instance, my God drips magma from its mouth.  It is logical that this magma may, in certain situations, cause fires to break out in forests or towns if the god is hovering above it for any prolonged period of time.  If these fires are going to cause wide-spread devastation (wiping out the whole town, setting the forst ablaze), then AP should be spent.  If instead the conflagration only affects a small portion (and particularly if you describe, say, fire crews racing from the wells to attempt to put out the mysterious fire from the heavens) of the world and does no long-term lasting damage... that doesn't need AP.

Other examples:

Pruinus could make all creatures near him cold.

Flowers could bloom wherever Leaf went.

Kuranath could make people who fall under his gaze momentarially feel more confident with themselves.

Or even more 'active' effects... causing birds to burst into song, causing a geyser to go off at a particular moment, etc.

And other things like that.  Basically, be creative with your posts and don't limit yourselves because you are worried you need to spend AP to do something small.  If we admins think it crosses a line, we'll tell you.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was thinking that the roles of a god might be separated from the domains. So that we might have an Orc god among the first gods. He would still have the domains of "orc," "bravery/courage," and "tactics," but he'd be the one who carved the dome of the sky from the skull of his ancient enemy, created the oceans from the blood, the clouds from the brains, and created the first sentient race, Zombies with wings, to fly up to the clouds and feast on them. Doesn't mean that he has to have a fundamental domain, just that he take actions that are fundamentally necessary for the world.

This brings up an question I had... what do domains do, in game, exactly? I'm guessing that exarchs give you another character to play in game (but not another god). And that avatars... let you interact with mortals, maybe? But what effect do domains and artifacts have in game? Like, does Leaf's weapon, Thorn, have to be an artifact, or can it just be fluff. And if so, what is the difference between the two?

Oh, of course.  I think we're saying mostly the same things, really.  Gods can do whatever they want, so we don't need the 'water' God making the oceans and the 'fire' God creating the volcanoes.  Otherwise any missing God would be... problematic.  "Sorry, no Time God, so no Time!" and the like

The importance of domains to the game vary depending on the iteration.  Our last game, Balance of Powers, domains had the largest effect on the game, in that you had specific AP that could only be spent on actions which related to your domain (in some way).  We've gotten rid of that, and domains are now... mostly there for your use and other players use to provide a focus and theme for a God, as well as guidelines for how disagreements might be resolved between players.  For instance, if I was the God of Music and the God of Water wanted to take away the songs that the phoeni sing when they reincarnate, then if I opposed that action, as God of music, I should have a greater 'say' in what happens to that domain.  Likewise, the God of the Orcs has a greater pull over, say, Orcish Weaponsmithing than, say, the God of Time.

Exarchs are other characters in the game... not god-level, but above mortals.  They can usually spend AP if you want them to and (at least when I have them) act as emissaries and servants of the God.    (You can also RP as mortals, if you want)

Avatars, yes, let you interact directly with mortals in more than short spurts.  I usually use Exarchs for that, but other people like to do things... directly.

As for artifacts... the main difference between Thorn, the fluff and Thorn the artifact is that Thorn the fluff can be manipulated by other Gods at-will (for instance, they could turn Thorn the sword into Thorn the mace).  Thorn the artifact, on the other hand, would require the spending of AP to do something with it.  (so it would be a 1 AP destroy action to break it, as opposed to merely RP).  

Some old guidelines we had were as follows
1 AP:  mortal weapon of legend or artifact that has a small, local effect  (a gem that lets you monitor what is happening in your workshop from afar, lets say)
2 AP:  a divine weapon, or artifact that has a moderate effect (say, a set of gateways which link distant cities to one another by magical means)
3 AP:  An artifact that has a broad, potentially game-altering effect (for instance, a mystical river which would flow through every plane in the world, and which had to be included in any new plane which was created otherwise the player who owned the river would automatically spend 1 AP to destroy the plane at the moment of its creation (basically, making create plane actions cost one more AP unless this river could flow through a portion of it))

We mostly took those guidelines out because we really are trying to let people make and do whatever they want without any set-in-stone restrictions on what is 'enough AP' to do a particular action or not.  

In the end, what the rules and AP are trying to do is slow players down so they have a chance to interact with one another and with one another's creations before those creations are finished, which allows for a more collaborative and creative process than individual people placing down complete self-created places, races and civilizations and then, after everything has been decided, trying to stitch them together somehow.  Beyond that, the sky is the limit in terms of what you can do... we admins are willing to entertain almost any possibility!

So if I am understanding correctly, if I tell the rabbits of Watership Down to go to war against the foxes of The Fantastic League of Mr. Fox, that would take APP to make it happen. And if I have the war domain, I then get a bigger say in the outcome, APP free. But it's sort of like a gentleman's agreement, in that whoever controls the Fantastic League of Mr. Fox should willingly give me that extra say. I don't get to demand it. Right?

Actually, along those lines, if I'm not the god of war, and infact the god of war isn't associated with this Song of Ire and Lice, should I expect whoever is the god of war to step in with a say? Or do people usually take more of a hands off approach to their domains?
I'm thinking of changing my domain to Belief, or Faith. Toe, I think you tried to ascend such a god in Lightvoid to mixed results, so I kind of want to try my hand at it. Not sure if that sets up any nice interaction with any of the other gods, but we shall see. I think it'll be really interesting playing with the rather meta aspects that playing such a god would provide.
Pen, I love your examples :D

Right.  A few skirmishes would be fluff, but a war of any size or length (or... damage) would take AP, and as the 'War' god, your say in such 'war-starting' actions should have more weight, but its more of a gentleman's agreement than an actual hard rule... that said, if it does all boil down to an admin-mediated dispute (if the god of foxiness flat out refuses to do anything of the sort and you end up fighting over it), domains would be one component we admins would take into account when determining a winner.

As for your second question... it really depends on the god who is playing War.  We've definitely had players who were heavily involved in anything even tangentially related to their domain (one note:  Domains don't give you omniscience on that topic.  The God of Hansels does not know where every Hansel in the world is, nor whether or not they are looking at a Gretel or a Witch at any given moment.  That said... the right artifact might let you do just that.).   We've had a number of Gods that were far more hands off.  Either is encouraged, really.

@Ara.  Good luck.  Xiaoxiu's God didn't really work out, mostly because he found it rather... difficult to come up with ways to interact with the other Gods.  That said, you know what you're doing.  Just please don't make me have to smash your citadel to dust when you end up becoming a mafia boss who skims off 10% of the worship of the world off the top before funneling it to its respective divinities (please do this)

I am mostly in agreeance with what has been going on here (sorry for a late reply btw had to work overtime....) I will say I can easily think of off the top of my head several gods in our mythologies that had specific ideals attached to them, or what we call domains. Gods like Thor god of thunder and war in norse mythos, Hades, ruler of death and the underworld, Ra the sun god. In fact if you compare many of the gods from dnd, you'll find strong comparisons to real life mythological gods.

So on that note, domains are really just a guideline. What do you and the people that believe in you worship. They may ask Zebus for safe passage for their loved ones, or to Leaf for a bountiful harvest. The orcs might ask you for the courage and bravery before battle. Thats all it is.

And by the way, this is looking to be one interesting iteration yet! I'm actually getting excited and in hopes that more people come on by!

show

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isred.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black

I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.

Time to update the roster in the first post, maybe?
I agree with the above statement.
If I'm correct, from posters who shared their god using the full template the gods that are currently expected to be in the game are:

Pruinus, Goddess of Cold
Zebus, God of Death (With a Focus on guiding souls and their rebirth)
Kuranath, God of Orcs, Tactics, & Courage.
Sa, God of Flowers & Promises.
Anke Dui, God of Travel & Survival.
Agni, God of Fire.
Leaf, God of Life.
Yr, God of Time.

I'm glad to hear that we can describe the actions of mortals in our favour, thats what I was hoping the Heroes tab for gods on the wiki was for. I see my own god gathering a lot of Heroes & Exarchs, possibly blurring the line between the two at the same time.

Anyway, this should make for some interesting story arcs in Lords Of Creation: the Adventures Of Timmy Bushytail. :D
God list updated.

You forgot the Mistress of Snickerdoodles.
... I will say I can easily think of off the top of my head several gods in our mythologies that had specific ideals attached to them, or what we call domains. Gods like Thor god of thunder and war in norse mythos, Hades, ruler of death and the underworld, Ra the sun god.

What's this? Talk of mythology? Don't mind if I do!

Generally, it seems like players often use domains to define what/who their god is.... or maybe that is just me. Gadabout (my god from Galara) was travel, in domain and substance. Xa'an (Aetheric Realms) was light (and completely insane). Despair (playtest) was... well, despair, to every fiber. Harkon Armal (World Warp) was water, also in body and domain. Ebel (GoE) was... elemental? She had an unclear domain, since she was a gimick to start the game, but by jove, she was whatever it was!

In contrast, Thor wasn't the manifestation of War (the Norse had several war gods, including Odin, Tyr, Frey, Freya, and Frigg) or lightning or thunder. He was just the guy would went out to smack the frost giants around when they got uppity: thunder and lightning were side effects, not who he was. Hades was the ruler of the underworld because, when he and his brothers defeated their parents, that is the spoils of war he got. He wasn't death because of his domain, but because of his job.

But, yeah, Ra was the sun.

Anywho.
Make a God already, Thought. :P
So, I have no idea where Shadow has gotten himself off to.  I assume people want to start sooner rather than later... so lets say... Monday.  We'll start the game sometime on monday!

Imitation is the finest form of flattery?
... I will say I can easily think of off the top of my head several gods in our mythologies that had specific ideals attached to them, or what we call domains. Gods like Thor god of thunder and war in norse mythos, Hades, ruler of death and the underworld, Ra the sun god.

What's this? Talk of mythology? Don't mind if I do!

Generally, it seems like players often use domains to define what/who their god is.... or maybe that is just me. Gadabout (my god from Galara) was travel, in domain and substance. Xa'an (Aetheric Realms) was light (and completely insane). Despair (playtest) was... well, despair, to every fiber. Harkon Armal (World Warp) was water, also in body and domain. Ebel (GoE) was... elemental? She had an unclear domain, since she was a gimick to start the game, but by jove, she was whatever it was!

In contrast, Thor wasn't the manifestation of War (the Norse had several war gods, including Odin, Tyr, Frey, Freya, and Frigg) or lightning or thunder. He was just the guy would went out to smack the frost giants around when they got uppity: thunder and lightning were side effects, not who he was. Hades was the ruler of the underworld because, when he and his brothers defeated their parents, that is the spoils of war he got. He wasn't death because of his domain, but because of his job.

But, yeah, Ra was the sun.

Anywho.

And? ....... which leads up to:

Yes. and what is taking you so long to post one thought!!!

So, I have no idea where Shadow has gotten himself off to.  I assume people want to start sooner rather than later... so lets say... Monday.  We'll start the game sometime on monday!

Yes.

show

I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black

And?

If I followed the discussion right, namely just that fundamental jobs are more important than fundamental domains. But this might be getting into the old discussion of passive and active domains a bit.

....... which leads up to:

Yes. and what is taking you so long to post one thought!!!

Bah, fine, fine. However, I am not sure how best to translate the idea into something viable by the rules.

Since it seems like there are a lot of good gods, I was thinking of being an antagonist. Specifically, one (or several) to be defeated. Chain the god up, banish him to a forbidden dimension, kill him and use his bones for your bread, etc. If anyone wants a foil, a Gruumsh to their Corellon, I'd like to oblige.

I could see this taking the form of either a new god every few weeks (when the old one's been banished, killed, imprissoned, etc), or having a sort of miscelenious central force god that creates powerful exarchs to be the foes. Thoughts? And any ideas of gods you'd like to trounce?

EDIT: Meh, too late, I think I'll go with a "god" that is an abstract force that takes various manifestations (exarchs). Sooo...

Name: The Ancient Spirits of Evil. Also goes by Tasoe (three syllables: TA-so-eh), Ase (two syllables: Ah-sey), Daragog, Seg, Baraglumnush, Artun, Susan, etc.
Greater Domains: Evil
Moderate Domains:
Lesser Domains: Mumm-ras
Physical Appearance: At present, none (I plan on creating a plane that will be his "physical" form and the means through which others can interact directly with him, rather than his exarchs)
Divine Symbol: A piece of skin with a single rip in it. The rip is surrounded by six runes painted in blood. Ideally it will be real skin, or at least untreated, with a tear resulting from a death wound, and the individuals own heartblood used to paint the runes.

Concept: Well, see above. Basically, Tasoe is an abstract force, even in relationship to gods. However, it does occasionally produce exarchs and villains as more concrete focal points of its power and attention. And, as noted, it will eventually crate a "body" for itself. Its servants will be a force of evil in the world, though the exact manifestation of that evil will probably vary by incarnation. Generally, I'll be trying to stay away from evil for evil's sake, in the mustache-twirling sense of the word, but if that is what someone wants, I'll try to oblige. A key component of all these exarchs and villains is that they are intended to be defeated, although I expect some will stick around for longer than others (difference between masterminds and thugs, for example).

IMPORTANT: Anyone and everyone, please let me know if you'd like to opt out. It's no fun for either of us if I create a foil for one of your characters if you don't want that foil in the first place. You'll be annoyed/frustrated by me being an antagonist for you, and I'll be annoyed/frustrated that the antagonism isn't going anywhere. Likewise, if you would like a specific kind of antagonist, or a specific point of conflict, or a particularly "hard" or easy foe (basically, just how many try-fail cycles before the villain is defeated), please let me know so that I can try to accomodate.

Edit Edit: It will be my goal to make this "Lords Of Creation: Timmy Bushytail Must Die"
I wanna be the god of darkness.

Name:
 Umbra.
Holy Symbol: a closed eye.
Appearance:
You can't see him, he only exists within absolute darkness.
Symbol: a closed eye.

Greater Domain:
 Darkness. 
Moderate Domain: N/A
Lesser Domain: N/A

Misc/Personality:
 Umbra is a curious entity. In the utter darkness where he dwells, there is nothing. No sound, no light, no feeling. This is every bit as boring as it sounds, which is why Umbra creeps into the world to experience other things. He peers in through places where no one looks; caves, abandoned buildings, the deep ocean, and the midnight wilderness, and gropes around until the light banishes him. Anyone or anything that gets lost, forgotten, or abandoned is likely to attract the attention of Umbra. When important things happen, they cast shadows, and Umbra lives in and is influenced by the shadows.

He's a very primordial being right now; never having interacted with anyone else, his personality is hard to define. The kind of God he will become depends strongly on what he sees and who he meets in the blind spots of the newborn world.

This look good?

Thought: you can feel free to have your devil figure make a nemesis for Umbra, or just try to corrupt Umbra himself into your stereotypical evil god of darkness.
PinkPonyPrincess... May I call you Pinkie? Or perhaps Mrs. Pie? Anywho, looks like a fun god. Though what happens if a god has darkvision: what does Umbra look like, then? ;)

I'll wait for more information on Umbra and see how he interacts with others before formulating dastardly and overly complex plots against him, which I will then divulge to a group of heroes in a long monologue prior to the completion of those plots.
PinkPonyPrincess... May I call you Pinkie? Or perhaps Mrs. Pie? Anywho, looks like a fun god. Though what happens if a god has darkvision: what does Umbra look like, then? ;)

I'll wait for more information on Umbra and see how he interacts with others before formulating dastardly and overly complex plots against him, which I will then divulge to a group of heroes in a long monologue prior to the completion of those plots.

You can call me whatever you want as long as its consistent.

"Darkness" is subjective. Even a creature with darkvision can have its senses blocked by something, and Umbra is always hidden within that something. Of course, other gods can communicate with Umbra despite this because gods are hax, but they still can't see him. Its like his voice is always coming from right behind you.
Excellent.  Two new and interesting Gods.

I'm travelling till Sunday, so I'll be on less.  Just warning everyone. 
Toph, that is actually nothing new....Tongue Out

Thought: I would love to have you as a nemesis, maybe later on down the line though. I'm gonna need some sort of antagonists for my mortals to fight against. And the standard orc/human/elf thing has been done. Good vs. Evil vs. Middle ground/Grey area though sounds awesome!

Pinkie welcome aboard! I love the look of your good also! Or the lack there of..... Laughing

show

I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black

Don't worry Pinkadora, I was just being silly. As for an antagonist for you, I've been putting some further thought into it, but right now the only thing I am coming up with would be conceptual antitheses (like Luminatio), but such a character wouldn't have to be an antagonist necessarily. Looking at your character's motivation, I suppose a "god" of prisons might be an antagonist: an eternal jailor attempting to return Umbra to the boring darkness from which it escaped. Thoughts?

Joran, not really sure what Zebus's motivation is, but I could definitely see a variety of characters or creatures that lure the souls of the dead, either to eat them or to turn them into more mosters, etc. What sort of mortals were you thinking about creating, and with what flavor?

More generally, I was thinking of creating an artifact in game that might need prior approval. The Shard of Creation/The Unborn Essence/the God that is Not a God would be an artifact used to "steal" power from other gods (with their permissions, of course). One of my characters would be trying to use it as a sort of nuclear threat to gain power over the other gods (or maybe kill them all, those fools!), but the idea would be that when the other gods stop him/her/it, they could use the device (and the power it has gathered) to create either the earth, a continent, a dimension, a race, etc. Something big that the world needs at that time. But would an artifact to shuttle AP through time (potentially a few weeks) be allowable? And would anyone be interested in either contributing power to it, or helping in overthrowing the god who uses it and putting it to good?
Don't worry Pinkadora, I was just being silly. As for an antagonist for you, I've been putting some further thought into it, but right now the only thing I am coming up with would be conceptual antitheses (like Luminatio), but such a character wouldn't have to be an antagonist necessarily. Looking at your character's motivation, I suppose a "god" of prisons might be an antagonist: an eternal jailor attempting to return Umbra to the boring darkness from which it escaped. Thoughts?

Its hard for me to imagine Umbra really having an enemy during the early game, since he starts out as a fairly benign observer. However, I'm eventually planning for his portfolio to expand (in particular, I see Secrets, Art, and the underdark or deep ocean being possibilities). Once he has his fingers in more pies, figuring out a nemesis for him should be easier.

I really like your idea for the doomsday artifact that the good gods need to steal and repurpose. Just make sure you wait for a dramatically appropriate moment to introduce it (I'll be willing to contribute AP).

Joran, not really sure what Zebus's motivation is, but I could definitely see a variety of characters or creatures that lure the souls of the dead, either to eat them or to turn them into more mosters, etc. What sort of mortals were you thinking about creating, and with what flavor?

With a name like Zebus, I'm guessing flying killer jellyfish, giant brains, and lobsterlike humanoids who are obsessed with tubes.
With a name like Zebus, I'm guessing flying killer jellyfish, giant brains, and lobsterlike humanoids who are obsessed with tubes.

Don't forget this guy!

By the by, I'm just going to throw out that I have some ideas for Magic in the setting-to-be. I don't think it necessary to start with Magic as a major domain (though I could, since Flowers don't count for much), but this is just a heads up that I'm likely headed in that direction.

Cheers.
I will also be posting less on this from now on most likely, only posting in the actual game and the odd post on here. I should get back to my artwork rather checking this thread all the time :D

Anyway, responses to particularly people:

@Thought: At first I was against a god that existed purely to provide villains I'm growing to the idea. I plan on raising a lot of heroes with my god and if it's possible within the lore we create I'd like to have Pruinus herself defeated or put in a really bad spot, then have some of the mortal heroes who worship her to slay her antagonist. I just really love the underdog archetype. :D

Of course, thats if you're willing to allow your epic incarnation of all evil to be defeated by a kawaii snow-fox teenager called Timmy Bushytail. ;D

Now, at the moment I don't know what kind of god would be her villain (Although I have an idea for a god of opposites using their powers to destroy Pruinus and Agni's work, whilst setting up evidence that the other god did it.)

@Princess: I find your username and god idea at odds XD.
but I think it's a very cool idea. It's probably best to think of what it truly does look like in case you ever want an epic reveal, but I find the whole idea of the god that exists in absolute darkness, and as you put it "its like his voice is always coming from right behind you." is creepy in an awesome way.

@Raven: Seeing as I see my god being quite nature based I'm considering picking up Primal Spirits as a domain and having her as the purveyor of primal magic in the world. I've discussed some of these plans with Topheh and my god is very primal inclined and I see my exarchs as being powerful primal spirits of cold (Snow, Hail, Wind and Water to name a few) rather then angels.

As such, Pruinus will probably end up as a popular deity for Barbarians, Druids, Seekers, Shamans and Wardens. That said, she doesn't care much for exclusivity of worship and I can see her sharing the Primal Spirits domain with Leaf and Sa if Pruinus is on good terms with them.
Raven: everyone knows that Other M doesn't exist, stop making things up.

Jamespies: I do have something in mind for Umbra's true appearance, and if I describe it right it will be a bit of a mind****. Glad you like the concept!

Since you mentioned gods providing power sources for the PC classes, it should go without saying that Umbra is all about the Shadow power. I might even try making a new character class to keep the Assassin company.

Thought: You know, depending on how much the drama ends up depending on your nemeses, I wouldn't be against you having more AP than the other players. Each of the villains could have their own AP supply. Not sure if this is a good idea, just throwing it out there.
Sign In to post comments