Hi all,This may seem like a stupid question, and I am sorry if it is, I just couldn't find an answer to this anyewhere. For the Coup de grace it states that "If you deal damage greater than or equal to the target's bloodied value, the target dies."Is

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi all,

This may seem like a stupid question, and I am sorry if it is, I just couldn't find an answer to this anyewhere.
 For the Coup de grace it states that "If you deal damage greater than or equal to the target's bloodied value, the target dies."
Is this only in the case of an unconsious opponent hit by the max damage action? or does this apply to any opponent at any given time during an encounter?

much thanks
No, the greater than or equal to bloodied only applies for coup de grace.  You won't find that stated anywhere else because it's only stated in cases of a coup de grace.  There is no other rule about "massive damage" in 4e like there was in 2e.

And keep in mind, doing a coup de grace and slaying the target outright has nothing to do with them being Unconscious, necessarily.  The target only has to be Helpless.  It's just that the most common way to be Helpless is to be Unconscious.  

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Ok, thankyou very much! It came up in debate as myself and some friends are just getting into 4e. We all became a little confused confused but this clears it up. thanks
Slaying the Target Outright only happen during a Coup De Grace action. Also this action doesn't only work on unconsious opponent, as long as its helpless it will work.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter