Weapon properties and powers with multiple instances of damage

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
So to clarify what I mean when I say "power with multiple instances of damage" I am referring to powers like Hellfire Rebuke or Chains of Levistus. 

So let's say you've got a warlock with a +2 dagger (he used a feat to gain access to daggers as an implement).

Assuming no other feats or modifiers, he casts Chains of Levistus and hits his target for 2d6+con+2(from the dagger)+1d6(for curse) cold damage.  If the target moves before EoNT then the target is subjected to more cold damage. Now I know the target will at least take an additional 2d6+con (as listed in the power description) as well as additional 1d6 from the curse (because it's a new turn). Will the enhancement bonus from the dagger also apply to this damage?

Taking things one step further, if our warlock has a +2 flaming dagger, then Chains would instead inflict 2d6+con+2+1d6 fire damage (as opposed to cold). Is the damage incurred on the move also convereted to fire? (I would assume that if the weapon's enhancement bonus applies then so would its properties...)

Thanks for your help!
Yes, bonuses and effects apply to all instances of damage caused by a power, there is no external limitation, only the conditions specified by the bonuses or effects.  This means that both Hellish Rebuke damage instances get enhancement bonus to damage rolls, because they're both damage rolls.

It should be noted that Flaming Weapon technically has been updated to only change untyped damage to fire, but since none of the rest of the similar weapons were changed and it wasn't overpowered, this change is often ignored. 
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
1) Yes.  It's a seperate damage roll, and will get all the benifits.  (char-op loves such powers).

2) Yes.  In fact, you could cast the spell, drop the dagger in a portal to another plane, and it would still apply.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Thanks guys! 

Yeah, I realized after the fact that flaming was different, but didn't think it was different enough for the purposes of the example to warrant changing it.  
Chain of Levistus is not another instance of damage, its an extra damage, which means it will be in addition to the attack's damage, which will already have these damage bonuses added and thus won't add again due to stacking rules saying typed bonus don't stack, nor are untyped bonus from the same named game element.

Hit: 2d6 + Constitution modifier cold damage. If the target moves before the end of your next turn, it takes 2d6 extra cold damage.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

That wouldn't make any sense. The attack happens and is resolved. If the target moves later the 2d6 isn't added onto the resolved damage. It has its own roll. If that weren't explicitly clear, the Explosive Pyre FAQ is also called extra damage and explicitly says it gets bonuses to damage rolls. "Extra" in this meaning additional damage, not "extra damage."

Sloppy writing is often sloppy.
Yes its added to the attack's damage, because its a extra damage. Wether its resolved or not doesn't matter to the extra damage rule. What matter is that its in addition to it, extra damage are never seperate instance of damage.

Its the same as Hunther's Quarry. Are you saying Rangers get to add their bonuses over again on the extra damage ? No they don't, because its an extra damage.

Sorry, extra damage is extra damage in 4E its a defined term.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

You're wrong, according to the official FAQ and the rules. You can't just tack on extra damage after the damage is resolved. Extra damage does not work that way. It must be added at the time damage is resolved. Quarry is a specific exception to this, because it says it is. And at that Quarry is worded such that you can add it to any attack you made during the turn, but it still adds to that attack, so you rewind time and add it, because it says to.
Explosire Pyre is not an extra damage so it get bonuses since its a seperate instance of damage. The FAQ is wrong is saying it is one though.

Hit: 2d8 + Charisma modifier fire damage. Until the start of your next turn, any enemy that enters a square adjacent to the target or starts its turn there takes 1d6 fire damage. An enemy can take this damage only once per turn.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Explosire Pyre is not an extra damage so it get bonuses since its a seperate instance of damage. 

Hit: 2d8 + Charisma modifier fire damage. Until the start of your next turn, any enemy that enters a square adjacent to the target or starts its turn there takes 1d6 fire damage. An enemy can take this damage only once per turn.

Hellish Rebuke. You're still wrong.
Hellish Rebuke is not an extra damage so it get bonuses since its a seperate instance of damage. 

Are you seriously arguing that Chain of Levistus is not an extra damage ? 

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Hellish Rebuke is not an extra damage so it get bonuses since its a seperate instance of damage. 

Hellish Rebuke was, for many years, extra damage and was always rules to get bonuses. It helps when you aren't a Compendium monkey and actually remember the rules and their history.
It help if you just use the Rule As Written and don't try to tell people that ''Extra" in this meaning additional damage, not "extra damage." 

Extra damage are not seperate instance of damage, they are in addition to one. And Chain of Levistus deals extra damage.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

It help if you just use the Rule As Written and don't try to tell people that ''Extra" in this meaning additional damage, not "extra damage." 

Extra damage are not seperate instance of damage, they are in addition to one. And Chain of Levistus deals extra damage.

RAW says extra damage resolves at the same time as the damage it is added to. It'd help if you were using RAW. So either the power does nothing, or it is its own damage instance and the writer was mildly incompetent. Mmmm, tough call. Except we have five years of historical precedent for this exact situation. So it actually isn't. At all.
RAW says extra damage resolves at the same time as the damage it is added to.

Can you quote the rule saying that because extra damage doesn't say that ?

Chain of Levistus deals extra damage, which means its in addition to its damage and is of the same type.

Should it not be extra damage?  Probably but RAW it is and all extra damage work the same way unless noted otherwise.

Extra damage: Extra damage is always in addition to other damage and is of the same type or types as that damage, unless otherwise noted.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

RAW says extra damage resolves at the same time as the damage it is added to.

Can you quote the rule saying that because extra damage doesn't say that ?

Yes, I can.

I find it curious that you can't. Should work on that before being wrong.
I can't because there isn't one i know of. Please quote the rule saying extra damage resolves at the same time as the damage it is added to if you know one i don't. 

Yan
Montréal, Canada

I can't because there isn't one i know of. Please quote the rule saying extra damage resolves at the same time as the damage it is added to if you know one i don't. 

You can't, because you don't understand the damage rules, timing of damage resolution, how extra damage works, the history of the rules in this case, or how to do anything but look up text in the Compendium. Which is not a 100% accurate resource even when you understand the rules.

So, step one, go look up the damage rules and how damage resolution works.
No rule citation saying extra damage resolves at the same time as the damage it is added to? That's what i though. Funny that you acknowledge that Hunther's Quarry provide a specific exception but not for Chain of Levistus. when it directly require something on subsequent turns to happen before dealing this extra damage. The rules for extra damage provides no timing so we must rely on game elements themselves to know when they are dealt. It is usually immediatly. But some extra damage apply retroactively.  Thisseems like one of them.

So what we know is that Chain of Levistus deals extra damage if the target moves before the end of your next turn. Since extra damage is always in addition to other damage, then to which damage it is in addition to ?

Yan
Montréal, Canada

SvG requires explication. Hunter's Quarry is an exception because it specifically says so. Your argument is null.

I said, go look up the damage rules and figure out why you're wrong. Hint: damage has a timing. Extra damage is always part of the initial damage, according to the extra damage rules. Shouldn't be hard to figure out why you're wrong.

You seem to be under the impression I am trying to educate you. I'm not. You're wrong. You can shut up or figure out why you're wrong, but I'm not going to baby sit a regular through a rules question that was resolved four years ago. Go figure out why you're wrong yourself.
I am not wrong just because you say so. I am not asking you educate me, i am asking you provide rule citation to rules you claim. 

Since Chain of Levistus target can take extra damage if they move and that e
xtra damage is always in addition to other damage, then to which damage this extra damage is in addition to if its not to the one it took ?

Yan
Montréal, Canada