Elves of the Deep Shadow

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Spoiler Alert!

Here is a deck I've wantin to make for a while but never had the adequate pieces. Gatecrash now will offer a reason for me to put it together. Here is the Golgari Elf deck shell that I hope will atleast be competitive at FNM. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

4 Arbor Elf
4 Deathrite Shaman
4 Gyre Sage *
2 Korozda Guildmage
4 Elvish Archdruid
3 Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord

The general Idea is to ramp into pumping up Gyre Sage with Increasing Savagery or Blessings of Nature. Now to figure out what to do with all that extra mana?? Scavenge? Biomass mutation? Hydra? Worldspine Wurm?
after some looking over, I think that scavenging would best combo with Gyre Sage and Jarad.

enablers of scavenge:

Grisly Salvage
Jarad's Orders
Dreg Mangler
Dreadbridge Goliath 
Corpsejack Menace  

is this just a dumb idea?    
What has you so attracted to Gyre Sage? Its gonna be hard to get more than 3 counters on him.

(at)MrEnglish22

I can get 5 counters on him turn three with Increasing Savagery. 10 if I have 2 savageries in hand that turn.
Which could mean a turn 4 Worldspine Wurm if the draws are right.

I'm pretty excited to build this deck and test it. Ramp has been on the back burner for a while. Not since Wolfrun atleast.
You should avoid Scavenge and just play various fatties.  Worldspine Wurm, Giant Adephage...   
Here's a working list.

4 Arbor Elf
1 Deathrite Shaman
2 Elvish Visionary
4 Gyre Sage
2 Korozda Guildmage
4 Elvish Archdruid
1 Corpsejack Menace
1 Elderscale Wurm
3 Giant Adephage
1 Grislebrand

4 Abundant Growth
4 Farseek
3 Sheltering Word
4 Increasing Savagery
1 Death's Presence

I would like to find room for Rancor so that I have the option of swinging with Gyre Sage.
Not sure I'm on the right track. Perhaps a GBU list would provide enough card draw to warrant Blessings of Nature. also could allow me to run Prime Speaker Zegana
GBU list

4x Arbor Elf
3x Deathrite Shaman
4x Gyre Sage
3x Invisible Stalker   
3x Dreg Mangler  (thinking of swaping for Augur of Bolas)
1x Prime Speaker Zegana

4x Thought Scour
3x Farseek
1x Forbidden Alchemy 

4x Increasing Savagery
2x Blessings of Nature 

1x Artful Dodge 

3x Ranger's Guile 
1x Sheltering Word 

this list is a bit different, but with good reason. I took a note from bant aura deck, and realized the potential this deck could have in pumping up an Invisible Stalker who is a bit harder to deal with than most creatures.   the singleton Artful Dodge is in there  incase i want to swing with both the Sage and Stalker.

lol some help would be appreciated, not sure which direction to go in.  
I like the idea of using scavenge a lot more then going with Zegana. And even so, if you did go with Zegana, I think you would need more then 1 copy of her in your deck. Going the route of [C]Gyre Sage[/C] and [C]Corpse Jack Menace[/C] makes the most sense to me. You need to add a few green protection spells in your deck, or atleast your sideboard though. Because Card's like Corpsejack are HUGE targets at FNM. At least at my local shop.
After looking at all the spoilers I am falling in more in live with the idea of standard elves, and raising them all from the dead with Immortal Servitude and combo with Ivy Lane Denizen+Corpsejack Menace