First step into DMing... with a level 40 Gestalt Epic campaign

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
This was an idea my friend had, and I decided to volunteer to DM the campaign (probably my first mistake of many before this thing is over). There isn't anything solid yet, but here's what we have so far:

• One player rolled a Dryad (custom race) with 40 Druid/30 Wu Jen/10 Wild Mage. We still have to do his gear and the Druid class traits...

• Another player (the friend who suggested the whole thing) rolled a Human (I think) with the Saint template, and his classes are a conglomeration of Monk, Drunken Master, Mystic Wanderer, Master of Many Shapes, and a few other ridiculous things.

I'm starting them with 13,600,000 gold and 18 in each ability score (before racial modifiers and the 10 points from leveling up). For starting equipment, I'm thinking of limiting them to one piece of each gear type (headgear, boots, weapon, etc.) and 2 rings; the rest of their money goes to supplies like potions.

The plot I wanted to do was the one in the Epic Handbook where a party of famous heroes begin to commit evil deeds, with an uncorrupted character from that group being the one to request the party's help.

I'm considering adding a few special feats for spellcasters. With these feats, they'd pick a number of specific spells at a certain level, and those spells would become at-will abilities that don't consume spell slots; my reasoning is that, at level 40, it doesn't make any sense at all for a wizard to only be able to cast a weak spell like ray of frost 4 times a day.
At the moment, my plan is to make one feat for 0 level spells and another for 1st level spells (with the 0 level one being a prereq for the 1st level), available starting at 21+. I'm not too familiar with spellcasters in 3.5, but the 2nd level spells might be too strong to get infinite uses per day.

Any advice or suggestions you can make would be greatly appreciated.
At this point, there is not much point in making any suggestions. You're starting your first DMing effort on "expert" with all of the DM controls turned off. Just go with the flow, and see what happens.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Spellcasters are already really good in epic thanks to epic spells, so I don't know that giving unlimited spells per day is a good idea. Also how do you plan to handle stuff like that and wizards/clerics who know quite a few spells more than a sorcerer?

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"

My idea was to have them pick any spell off of their class' list, not necessarily one they need to have on their personal spells-known list.
At this point, there is not much point in making any suggestions. You're starting your first DMing effort on "expert" with all of the DM controls turned off. Just go with the flow, and see what happens.

This.

Seriously, if you're a first timer?  Baby steps.  Start at level 1, PHB only.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Sounds truly epic. Seem like you took off all limitations for epic charactor creation.  Don't worry too much about charactor power.  You can make each encounter challenging by making the encounter equally epic villains.

Problem i faced with demigod like high level campaign is with skill challenges.  since difficulty is set in stone wont be many skill checks that's going to be challenging.  it kinda end up being hack and slash since only equally epic villains pose a challenge. But tat can be fun too.  If want to use skill challenge got to design it in a way that's more then just difficulty check to overcome it, Especially traps etc.  it was too much work so we quit after 2 adventures.

players really got to stay in charactor.  Just because they can shouldn't mean they should.  They're too powerful, so request players if gonna do this epic campaign, they got to stay in charactor, follow their own epic storyline, and role play, role play, role play. Smile

Also there is a reason players want epic demigod type charactor campaign.  It's to see all the stuff they never got to see in monster Manuel, different planes during level progression.  Sadly most players don't get to see those things, so there is this itch they want to scratch for long time.   Good to spend this campaign to satisfy that appetite completely. Don't hold back. Throw everything into it. Demon lords, gods, celestial planes. After campaign, you win when they sit back satisfied and say...ok back to level one.  What campaign we gonna do this time...
Off-topic, but related to the campaign itself:
How much would it cost to create a scarf chain (10g base price) using ironwood for the chain, assuming that Permanency is cast on the ironwood?
10+The component cost of permanency(says in the phb)+component cost of ironwood(says in the phb)+xp costs.
If they are having someone else cast the xp of permanency, I think it was 25*xp cost in gold.  This is kind of a 4e forum.  You might have better results asking in the previous editions forum.