Artifact for a Druid

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
So after some consideration, I've decided to take the bait and try running a sandbox game. I've done this before, but I didn't really have the time on my hands recently. However, it appears Masterplan has largely solved most of the time-management problems associated with sandbox gaming, so here we go! Anyway, my dilemma:

I was considering dropping some powerful artifact into the campaign and seeing what comes of it. The problem is, I seem to be having some trouble finding something suitable for a Druid. Now, I can certainly make something up. What I'm hoping is to at least find some fluff for an existing item that I can flesh out. Something that has some established continuity in the setting, as my own creativity juices are running on empty at the moment. So far I have found mention of all sorts of interesting things used in the Dawn War and such, but nothing that seems appropriate for a Druid. Can anyone think of something appropriate?

The best I've come up with would be reskinning the Rod of Seven Parts into a staff and reflavoring for Primal Power instead of Divine. That seems a little unsatisfying to me though, as I'm not sure primal energy is really fitting for the purpose for which the Rod of Seven Parts was constructed.
If you had a DDI sub it would make your life easier.  Or if you had some way to get access (one of your players etc).

At a glance:
Seed of Winter could be cool (Dungeon 165)

Heartwood Spear (Dungeon 187)

Amulet of Passage (DMG2) made more primal

Jet Black Ioun Stone (Open Grave) made more primal 

Crystal of Ebon Flame (The Plane Below) made more primal (poison damage as ongoing etc etc) 

Wave (The Plane Below) made to be an implement. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Hey, thanks for the ideas! The Seed of Winter, in particular, would be pretty awesome. The fact that it is of a somewhat evil bent is intriguing, though that does worry me. I haven't worked with artifacts in 4e yet. In your experience, how difficult is it to balance the needs of an artifact such as this with the needs of a hero(ine)?
Only as difficult as you make it.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Sign In to post comments