Blood Artist, wording.

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Another quick question.
I'm reading Blood Artist

It doesn't matter who controls the creature right?
It can be ANY creature on the battlefield of any villain or mine right?

Also, to satisfy "dies", is it sufficient that said creature will pass from graveyard?
What I mean is, if that creature is sacrificed (or destroyed, or killed, or other wordings that are similar), does it satisfy the trigger?

If exiled? Do things that are exiled pass from graveyard generally? (say from ashes to ashes)
Anytime a creature moves directly from the battlefield to any graveyard, Blood Artist will trigger. It will trigger no matter who controlled the creature, but it won't trigger if the creature moves to any other zone instead of the graveyard, even if it was destroyed or sacrificed.
Rules Advisor
Anytime a creature moves directly from the battlefield to any graveyard, Blood Artist will trigger. It will trigger no matter who controlled the creature, but it won't trigger unless the creature actually hits the graveyard, even if it was destroyed or sacrificed. Rest in Peace will shut down Blood Artist's trigger.

Thx.

What if villain is trying to cast (in his turn) Blood Artist, and I have geth's verdict and I cast it in response, does it trigger?
What if I cast counterspell instead? 
If you counter his Blood Artist, it doesn't die since it wasn't on the battlefield. It's ability can't trigger anyway since the ability only works while it's on the battlefield. If you cast Geth's Verdict, he can't sacrifice Blood Artist since it's not a creature at that point, but a creature spell. If he controls any other creatures, he'll have to sacrifice one of those. If he doesn't, he'll just lose 1 life.
Rules Advisor
If you counter his Blood Artist, it doesn't die since it wasn't on the battlefield. It's ability can't trigger anyway since the ability only works while it's on the battlefield.

Ok for the counterspell I was pretty sure, but how does Geth's Verdict work?
If villain has to sacrifice a creature (in this case Blood Artist would be the only one, the one he's trying to put down on the battlefield), doesn't the creature have to be on the battlefield to be sacrificed?
If yes, it triggers then, right?
And if yes, can it really be considered an "in response" action the one I did with Geth's? 
Correct. If you cast Geth's Verdict in response to his Blood Artist, it can't be sacrificed since it's not a creature yet. However, if you wait for the Blood Artist to resolve, then cast Geth's Verdict, the Artist will trigger, and you'll (probably) lose 1 life.
Rules Advisor
Correct. If you cast Geth's Verdict in response to his Blood Artist, it can't be sacrificed since it's not a creature yet. However, if you wait for the Blood Artist to resolve, then cast Geth's Verdict, the Artist will trigger, and you'll (probably) lose 1 life.

Sorry I didn't see you edited your previous post with the complete answer.
Thx again.

Last thing then, and after this I'm done with these noob questions xD
Let's say he has 1 creature, then he tries to cast Blood Artist, in response I do Geth's, at this point he has to sacrifice the other creature, and I don't receive any damage, because Blood Artist still didn't enter, right?
Exactly right.
Rules Advisor
Exactly right.

Thx! and btw, that was your 666th post. :D Cool

Sorry I didn't see you edited your previous post with the complete answer.
Thx again.

Last thing then, and after this I'm done with these noob questions xD
Let's say he has 1 creature, then he tries to cast Blood Artist, in response I do Geth's, at this point he has to sacrifice the other creature, and I don't receive any damage, because Blood Artist still didn't enter, right?

When a spell is cast, the card that represents it is in the zone we call the stack. The Artist's ability, like for most of any triggered ability works only when said permanent is on the battlefield (which is another game zone).

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.