H1-H3: Demon Prince of Undeath Conversion

983 posts / 0 new
Last post
Oh dave2008, I love your 34 solo Orcus. I love it very, very much.

Thanks Hershall - I'm glad you like it!  I actually started updating it a bit yesterday.  I have increased the damage of my Epic level solos since I made Orcus (based on some play testing and the blog DMG 42) and I wanted to get the demon lords updated.  I ran out of steam, but maybe I will finish it up this weekend.

E1: Encounters C2-D4
I have updated the monsters in encounter C2 to D4. I am not sure the Bonestorm solo monster in D4 really meets up to the new requirements on a solo monster. Might need some reworking.

Show
PLEASE NOTE THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS IN HERE - DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT TO ENJOY PLAYING THE ADVENTURES

I haven't looked at your update (or the encounter), but the bonestorm listed in the compendium is seriously lacking in actions and options.  If you just updated the stats I would recommend making some changes to this beast.

E1: Encounters D5-D8
I have updated the monsters in encounter D5 to D8. I did some changes to the Bonestorm in order to give it more attacks. I have also added dave2008's excellent Aspect of Orcus contribution. I turned it down a little bit, but I still think it is a very strong level 24 elite opponent. Much more interesting than the original.

Show
PLEASE NOTE THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS IN HERE - DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT TO ENJOY PLAYING THE ADVENTURES
Glad I could help! 

I finally downloaded all the conversion guides and I must say it looks great.  I think I am going to use this as the basis for my next campaign.  The will have to replace/revise H3 as I already used a modified version in my current campaign, but other than that I should be good to go!  It will be a real time saver, thank you so much for your hard work!

I quick thought about the Aspect of Orcus.  I think you may have toned down his Skull Mace damage a little too much.  A lvl 24 brute should average (lvl+8) X 1.25 damage or 40 damage per attack.  There are no real guidelines for tweaking damage for conditions, but if you wanted to account for the weakend condition I would probably just make it do typical monster damage (lvl+8), 32 damage per attack.  Right now you have him doing 24.5 damage per attack which is pretty low.  Personally, I would rather go for the full 40 avg. damage and just drop the weakend condition.  I considered that, but I also liked the deathly flavor the weakend condition provided (admitedly I didn't drop the damage enough - but I like big damage brutes Wink
Glad I could help! 

I finally downloaded all the conversion guides and I must say it looks great.  I think I am going to use this as the basis for my next campaign.  The will have to replace/revise H3 as I already used a modified version in my current campaign, but other than that I should be good to go!  It will be a real time saver, thank you so much for your hard work!

I quick thought about the Aspect of Orcus.  I think you may have toned down his Skull Mace damage a little too much.  A lvl 24 brute should average (lvl+8) X 1.25 damage or 40 damage per attack.  There are no real guidelines for tweaking damage for conditions, but if you wanted to account for the weakend condition I would probably just make it do typical monster damage (lvl+8), 32 damage per attack.  Right now you have him doing 24.5 damage per attack which is pretty low.  Personally, I would rather go for the full 40 avg. damage and just drop the weakend condition.  I considered that, but I also liked the deathly flavor the weakend condition provided (admitedly I didn't drop the damage enough - but I like big damage brutes Wink

You are right, I missed that it was a Brute. Will modify that in the next iteration. 
... will have to replace/revise H3 as I already used a modified version in my current campaign, but other than ...

Dave, have you made signficant changes to H3? My PCs are in H2 at the moment and I know I will need to make massive changes to H3 (basically removing at least 60% of the combat encounters) soon, and I'm not looking forward to it. Just from reading through the original module quickly I can see it is unplayable in its current form for our group. I'd be grateful if you could let me know how you changed it. 
... will have to replace/revise H3 as I already used a modified version in my current campaign, but other than ...

Dave, have you made signficant changes to H3? My PCs are in H2 at the moment and I know I will need to make massive changes to H3 (basically removing at least 60% of the combat encounters) soon, and I'm not looking forward to it. Just from reading through the original module quickly I can see it is unplayable in its current form for our group. I'd be grateful if you could let me know how you changed it. 

Unfortunately I didn't really change the adventure much, just the concept.  My PCs followed a Gnoll shaman of Yeenoghu into the pyramid trying to prevent him from unleashing a demon horde on the Nentir Vale.  I didn't really change the encounters (other than adjusting the monster math), just added in some clues about the Gnoll's location/goals.
Drats. Thanks anyway Dave.
Drats. Thanks anyway Dave.

No problem.  Also, what kind of changes do you need to make?  You mentioned cutting 60% of the encounters, why do you need to do that?  Is you party small, combat take to long, something else?

My PCs avoided about 1/3-1/2 of the encounters when they went through it.

E1: Encounters R1-R4
I have updated the monsters in encounter R1 to R4.

Show

E1: Encounters R5-R9
I have updated the monsters in encounter R5 to R9.

Show

E1: Encounters R10-R13
Finished updating all the monsters in E1 as well as the traps to the new format. I think the battle with the beholder death emperor in R10, looks promising. Looks like it could be an interesting challenge. 

Show

E1: Encounters R10-R13
Finished updating all the monsters in E1 as well as the traps to the new format. I think the battle with the beholder death emperor in R10, looks promising. Looks like it could be an interesting challenge. 

Show

Awesome!  Thank you for all your hard work.

Musings
E1 monster conversion is finished and I may do some small tweaks, but nothing major. I believe E2 and E3, won't take so long to convert either. Therefore I have started to muse (is that the english word?) about what my next project should be?

One idea I had was to do a 4th edition update of the 3.5 edition Red Hand of Doom, which I really liked but never played. But then there are a lot of really good Pathfinder Adventure Paths that would be interesting to give a 4th Edition go at (The latest Reign of Winter, looks promising). Do you have any favorites that you would love to see a 4th Edition conversion guide for. Or maybe ideas for other projects?
Honestly Myrhdraak, whatever you wanted to do would be gold in my book. It's been a pleasure reading these conversions over the years, and my players ought to be thrilled when I offer them the chance to play through these in my next campaign.

Having said that, my suggestion is to do whatever you are most passionate about. Red Hand of Doom is a great choice, as it ties in with the Scales of War path. Conversions from pathfinder are certainly something the forums are lacking, and if you are so inclined, a "unified" look at Rise of the Runelords, Shattered Star, Second Darkness and Council of the Crimson Throne seems like the sort of thing you would excel at.

Thanks again, and all the best!

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

Musings
E1 monster conversion is finished and I may do some small tweaks, but nothing major. I believe E2 and E3, won't take so long to convert either. Therefore I have started to muse (is that the english word?) about what my next project should be?

One idea I had was to do a 4th edition update of the 3.5 edition Red Hand of Doom, which I really liked but never played. But then there are a lot of really good Pathfinder Adventure Paths that would be interesting to give a 4th Edition go at (The latest Reign of Winter, looks promising). Do you have any favorites that you would love to see a 4th Edition conversion guide for. Or maybe ideas for other projects?

Myrhdraak,
Are you just doing monster conversions for E1-E3 or are looking at tweak other aspects of the adventures?  Just curious. 
E1 to E3 follows the Orcus story quite well. There might be some small tweaks I might do and add some encounters, but otherwise I will not do such major changes as I did for H2, P1 and P3. I will try to start do the monster conversions first and then add parts as I find ideas and inspiration.
Honestly Myrhdraak, whatever you wanted to do would be gold in my book. It's been a pleasure reading these conversions over the years, and my players ought to be thrilled when I offer them the chance to play through these in my next campaign.

Having said that, my suggestion is to do whatever you are most passionate about. Red Hand of Doom is a great choice, as it ties in with the Scales of War path. Conversions from pathfinder are certainly something the forums are lacking, and if you are so inclined, a "unified" look at Rise of the Runelords, Shattered Star, Second Darkness and Council of the Crimson Throne seems like the sort of thing you would excel at.

Thanks again, and all the best!

Another old time favorite of mine, that I never got the chance to run fully, was the Desert of Desolation series. But maybe it has not aged like wine....it was more a classic dungeon crawl but set in an egyptian environment.
I never read the Desert of Desolation material, but if memory serves, wasn't that written by Tracy Hickman, of Dragonlance fame? If so, that alone is reason enough to bring it to the forefront, in my opinion.

While others have portrayed the ancient dragonborn empire of Arkhosia as very Romanesque, I've always envisioned it as more Egyptian, including pyramids, mummies, and pharoahs. Since the Conquest of Nerath board has Serpentus Rift, one of the "Jewels of the South" , in a desert-like setting, perhaps that might be of interest to you?

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

4th Edition Support

As 4th Edition is faced out and I will never see the books I was hoping for, I have started to make my job as a DM easier, especially if the 4th Edition Online Compendium would be closed down (before I have finished playing this adventure path). I have therefore merged all the Online Compendium material according to the setup of PHB, focusing on Chapter 5: Skills, Chapter 9: Combat and Chapter 10: Rituals, so that I have it all updated with all errata. Especially for rituals, it was good to have all material in one pdf. It is also good to have all the combat and skill material available while gaming.

I can not share this with all, but I am considering sharing it with those of you following this thread and who has a D&D Online subscription (as you could have done this work yourself by copy and pasting from the Online Compendium yourself). However to get that material you need to send me a message with your e-mail so that I can send it to you. (I do not want to put up a link to it, as it could be missused). You should neither distribute the material outside your gaming group.

If WotC is totally agains this, please respond to this thread.  

I have decided on my next project. I am going to try to run a 4th Edition Conversion of the Pathfinder Adventure Path: Reign of Winter. Think it might be fun.
You can follow it here:
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

I will complete the E2 and E3 conversions as well. But right now I am having fun in looking at Pathfinder and how to convert that to 4th Edition.

/Myrhdraak      

Great idea.  I look forward to following both the new campaing and the finishing of the E1-E3.  As 4e is coming more and more to an official close I've started to look more closely at Next, Pathfinder, 13th Age, adn other RPGs again.  But you know what, I think I still, thus far, prefer 4e.  Now, I think it has issues, but I am more confident I can modify 4e to fit my taste than any of the other games I've looked at.  So thank you for pushin on with great 4e content.
Great idea.  I look forward to following both the new campaing and the finishing of the E1-E3.  As 4e is coming more and more to an official close I've started to look more closely at Next, Pathfinder, 13th Age, adn other RPGs again.  But you know what, I think I still, thus far, prefer 4e.  Now, I think it has issues, but I am more confident I can modify 4e to fit my taste than any of the other games I've looked at.  So thank you for pushin on with great 4e content.

I have tried poking around on the forums to find ideas for improvements. I think I will try to provide a 4.5 Edition guideline, to solve some of the major things people are complaining about.

I have tried poking around on the forums to find ideas for improvements. I think I will try to provide a 4.5 Edition guideline, to solve some of the major things people are complaining about.

Hi!

I think this is a great idea to provide a 4.5 guideline. While quite a few have attempted this, I think they go to overboard and overhaul too much. If you'd like layout what you think the problems are and we can contribute solutions and thus save you some time.

I would be eager to test such guidelines.

Primarch

I think this would be a great idea and something I would be interested in using and possibly helping out with.  Unfortunately, some of my ideas go beyond what I think a 4.5e would look like, but anything that streamlines and cleans up the rough edges of 4e is good in my book.
Good luck on Reign of Winter Myhrdraak - I love what you've done so far. 

My PCs are still on H2, but I have started to think about the disaster that is H3. I have put my changes so far in this document:
docs.google.com/document/d/11limcBmEVHzw...
It is not finished, but might help someone. 
Thanks Myrhdraak - it was a pleasure to contribute something small to your superb project - anytime.

Are you as good at drawing as doing maps? If so, I am later planning to try to recreate a battle in the E-series similar to this one:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MBJv5D5OUw&feat...

But then I will need a number of maps as the characters battle their way up the immortal body of an awaken primordial, given life by Orcus servants. 

Hey,

First off, I'd like to say thank you all for the amazing ideas you've given me for our campaign (mostly following the Demon Prince of Undeath storyline, with some sidetrecks inspired by Paizo Adventure Paths), and especially Myrhdraak for putting it all together.

Apologies for bringing this up so late, but I've wanted to do something of a similarly ginormous scale ever since I started thinking about the finale, and I was wondering if you are still trying to come up with a way to translate it to all to 4e, as I'm having some major difficulties, especially with the maps.

Kaloyan

Thanks Myrhdraak - it was a pleasure to contribute something small to your superb project - anytime.

Are you as good at drawing as doing maps? If so, I am later planning to try to recreate a battle in the E-series similar to this one:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MBJv5D5OUw&feat...

But then I will need a number of maps as the characters battle their way up the immortal body of an awaken primordial, given life by Orcus servants. 

Hey,

First off, I'd like to say thank you all for the amazing ideas you've given me for our campaign (mostly following the Demon Prince of Undeath storyline, with some sidetrecks inspired by Paizo Adventure Paths), and especially Myrhdraak for putting it all together.

Apologies for bringing this up so late, but I've wanted to do something of a similarly ginormous scale ever since I started thinking about the finale, and I was wondering if you are still trying to come up with a way to translate it to all to 4e, as I'm having some major difficulties, especially with the maps.

Kaloyan

Yes I have the intent of doing it. I am planning to put it in E2: Kingdom of the Ghouls, as one of the features of the White Kingdom. However, as I have been working on the H1-E3 conversion for quite a while, I wanted to take a break and get some new inspiration, before going back to doing E2. Right now I am focusing on the Pathfinder: Reign of Winter conversion, which probably already have seen at:
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
It has been quite fun, as it has forced me to look at other parts of the game. Power creation, paragon paths, monster creation, trap creation, etc. But I promise I will get back to E2 soon.

/Myrhdraak
Hi folks,

Wanted to share how the 'Soul Points' thing worked when I ran the Urishtar fight, and talk about how I've followed through on my Nightbringer ideas.

Urishtar barely lasted two rounds, she wasn't able to blind the party with her globes of darkness, and my group has 3 different divine characters, all of whom are pretty free with the radiant energy. All of this led to her going down quickly, which means my party only ever had the chance to gain 2 soul points (since there's a chance a point would go to Urishtar). Luckily, they both went to the party, sadly they both went to the same player. He seemed to enjoy them, but I wish the creepiness could've been spread around the table a bit more. Alas.

I'm maybe a month away from my party's first real encounter with Nightbringer the primordial. They fought briefly after the sword transformed (I had the well of souls explode, and Nightbringer soak up all the ambient energy and 'level up' to giant cat-monster) at the end of P3, but this will be the first time they actually encounter him in the wild.

I seemed some hints to his activities in the month or so since his release. Mentions of some 'third party' skirmishing in the Blood War, taking out demons, devils, and divine alike. I decided to have this next encounter take place in Death's Reach, a reasonable place to have a soul-devouring primordial travel. He's there for the same reason as the Ashen Covenant, he wants to find the corpse of Timesus, and devour it, thus gaining even more power and coming closer to being the god-like being he was back in the Dawn War. I also decided to use him to handle something I don't like in the module, the 'Herald of Secrets.'

I know he's part of the whole 'Vecna's secretly manipulating EVERYONE' sideplot, but I don't need that sideplot with everything going on in my game, so feh. The plan is to have the party see Calah's descent (as described in D2) from a distance, but change what they find when they approach where he landed. I'm going to have my party's absurdly stealthy scouts come across Nightbringer (in the company of some Blackstar host constructs he's gathered, and maybe a death giant or two) chewing up Calah's corpse, and commenting on all the 'mortals who play with the powers of creation' (referencing the fact that Vecna is an ascended mortal, and thus hinting at the dead angel's allegiance). There's a fight, and Nightbringer bugs out after the first couple of rounds, leaving the rest of the monsters to cover his retreat.

I'm still deciding whether or not to have the 'Moonstone Sphere' survive. I kind of like the image of Nightbringer crunching it like I've always imagined Superman would crunch a jawbreaker...
Hi Hershall,

This sounds like good stuff. It's obvious you have done some thinking on this. Would you consider contributing some plotline for an Appendix on the Nightbringer to the conversion?

/Myrhdraak  
Hi Hershall,

This sounds like good stuff. It's obvious you have done some thinking on this. Would you consider contributing some plotline for an Appendix on the Nightbringer to the conversion?

/Myrhdraak  

I'd be glad to try, though most of the main plot I've written for Nightbringer ties into the stories of two of the PCs (one who wielded Nightbringer and lost some of his soul when Nightbringer was reborn, the other who's discovering his epic destiny is to awaken to the fact that he's an immortal primal being who's walked the world for ages, and fought Nightbringer in the Dawn War).

I'll fiddle with it, and see if I can wring some useful content out of it.
Hi!

Any news when Myrhdraaks finishing off the final few modules of the Prince of Undeath conversion?

Primarch
Hi!

Any news when Myrhdraaks finishing off the final few modules of the Prince of Undeath conversion?

Primarch

I am going to finish off The Snows of Summer conversion first and then I will start updating the monsters for E2. My only addition is going to be a mega undead on those undead plains the party will have to pass. 
Hi!

Primarch

I am going to finish off The Snows of Summer conversion first and then I will start updating the monsters for E2. My only addition is going to be a mega undead on those undead plains the party will have to pass. 

Hi!

Great thanks!

Primarch
Looking forward to it!

E2: New Monsters
Have started the work on converting the E2 monsters to the new Monster Vault format. I will continue the Reign of Winter conversion at the same time. 

Show

Also read my Pathfinder: Reign of Winter 4th Edition Conversion  

E2: Encounter S1-S3 monster update 
Have updated Encounter S1-S3 monsters. 

Show

Also read my Pathfinder: Reign of Winter 4th Edition Conversion  
It's looking good! Can't wait to see your take on some of the big bads, especially Doresain Smile
Hello, i've been following this post for a few days, after i started to translate the Keep on the Shadowfell for my group,
i have a friend whose completely ignorant to D&D but she loves fantasy, furtonately, i'm not just trying to force D&D
to her, and another good friend just moved to our city and i have decided to join them has a group to finaly start
playing D&D, my first time was 6 years ago, with the Red Box, but then the group was scatered, i realised i could never
join the other particular part ever again, cause... lets just say, they love fantasy e so forth as much as i love to spend
two days on a fast and furious marathon.
Anyways, finaly have a perfect group of 4 for a Campaign, two boy, two girls, and myself as DM =)
problem is, lol, i stumbled upon YOUR version, and it hurt me a bit cause now i have to start from the begining,
just for the split group part i fell in love, it's way cooler to introduce specially to the girls (both of them are oblivious
to the wonder world of D&D) with something as cool as they (choosing one of the two hooks) as best friend or sisters
wateva, to Winterhaven then finding the boys in the say village, a couple minutes of role play between then.
And BAM a group of strangers join forces to fight wateva evil may come.
I have to translate from the begining again cause of them is not well educated in English (we're from
Portugal by the way) so i have to translate AT LEAST the parts of the information to be revealed to the group.

First of all, i thought that this was actually an official adventure from WoTC, so... congrats to whole thing.
Now my question, in the very begining, you do not specify how do the PCs met exactly, they both start at Winterhaven
asking question to everyone in the village, so i guees as DM i have to present the NPCs, like in the original KoSF
adventure saying who is who and where they can find them, or just put everyone, (or almost) in the Inn like
everyone other day, and say - well this is probably the place to start as usualy everyone like to hang there.

I would have to come up with a very simple/subtle way to make the split group cross paths to talk, something like this:
You guys arrive in Winterhaven as soon as you see a couple of young female elves walking in to the Inn and
you realise that they are from out of town just like you, do you go in or you go ask questions around
about the cult activity?

Then perhaps i say that can do a perception check to try and listen to the girl asking the inn keeper
about Douven and they wait or not to talk to them so that perhaps they are interested in join, they
can help find him and they will help them, something like that.
I'm asking this cause i do not see any questions related to Douven directly to any characters you
assume the PCs go to Bairwin as a first suspect (kinda obvious since he is the newest member),
but i guess that group of the  missing mentor would star to ask questions on their own or should
i avoid that part for them? "Forcing them" to form a party before hand, or perhaps using the
interaction about Douven from the original adventure, just in case.

Sorry about this stupid questions, new guy here. =)

Just one more, do you have concluded the conversion? Or still adding stuff?

Hello, i've been following this post for a few days, after i started to translate the Keep on the Shadowfell for my group,
i have a friend whose completely ignorant to D&D but she loves fantasy, furtonately, i'm not just trying to force D&D
to her, and another good friend just moved to our city and i have decided to join them has a group to finaly start
playing D&D, my first time was 6 years ago, with the Red Box, but then the group was scatered, i realised i could never
join the other particular part ever again, cause... lets just say, they love fantasy e so forth as much as i love to spend
two days on a fast and furious marathon.
Anyways, finaly have a perfect group of 4 for a Campaign, two boy, two girls, and myself as DM =)
problem is, lol, i stumbled upon YOUR version, and it hurt me a bit cause now i have to start from the begining,
just for the split group part i fell in love, it's way cooler to introduce specially to the girls (both of them are oblivious
to the wonder world of D&D) with something as cool as they (choosing one of the two hooks) as best friend or sisters
wateva, to Winterhaven then finding the boys in the say village, a couple minutes of role play between then.
And BAM a group of strangers join forces to fight wateva evil may come.
I have to translate from the begining again cause of them is not well educated in English (we're from
Portugal by the way) so i have to translate AT LEAST the parts of the information to be revealed to the group.

First of all, i thought that this was actually an official adventure from WoTC, so... congrats to whole thing.
Now my question, in the very begining, you do not specify how do the PCs met exactly, they both start at Winterhaven
asking question to everyone in the village, so i guees as DM i have to present the NPCs, like in the original KoSF
adventure saying who is who and where they can find them, or just put everyone, (or almost) in the Inn like
everyone other day, and say - well this is probably the place to start as usualy everyone like to hang there.

I would have to come up with a very simple/subtle way to make the split group cross paths to talk, something like this:
You guys arrive in Winterhaven as soon as you see a couple of young female elves walking in to the Inn and
you realise that they are from out of town just like you, do you go in or you go ask questions around
about the cult activity?

Then perhaps i say that can do a perception check to try and listen to the girl asking the inn keeper
about Douven and they wait or not to talk to them so that perhaps they are interested in join, they
can help find him and they will help them, something like that.
I'm asking this cause i do not see any questions related to Douven directly to any characters you
assume the PCs go to Bairwin as a first suspect (kinda obvious since he is the newest member),
but i guess that group of the  missing mentor would star to ask questions on their own or should
i avoid that part for them? "Forcing them" to form a party before hand, or perhaps using the
interaction about Douven from the original adventure, just in case.

Sorry about this stupid questions, new guy here. =)

Just one more, do you have concluded the conversion? Or still adding stuff?

If you have a look at the following link you can find the character backgrounds we created for the group (we also started with 4 characters), and in the chronicles part you can also read some of the background I introduced to my group.

web.comhem.se/mwester/Shadowfell/  

To summarize to charcters were from a temple (a paladin and a cleric) which went to a shrine where they learnt Kararel had defiled it and stolen an ancient artifact (the rod of ruin) that they were set to recover. Their search led them to Winterhaven.

The other group started out in the Academy (a wizard and dwarf fighter). The wizard's teacher had gone missing and the Academy sent him with an experienced guide and protector (the dwarf) to learn the fate of their Master Douven, that had gone missing in the Winterhaven area.

The adventure started with the two parties meeting each other at the inn, with two different quests, but a common goal to go to Winterhaven.

/Myrhdraak