YMTC Random Inspiration [Tournament]

39 posts / 0 new
Last post

YMTC Random Inspiration[Tournament]

It would seem that the forum in bountiful in all of its contests. So I have decided to throw my hat into the ring and come up with a Tournament of my own.

Participation: All are welcomed to join this Tournament at any time as it is a round based Tournament, but I must warn you, being one of the first will surely help you.

Rules: The rules are simple, I will give a source of random inspiration that has to be part of the card you will create in some way. The more your card relates to it the better of a grade you will get at the end of the round.

How to win: The winner will be declared when someone wins 15 rounds. So Those who wish to participate. I hope your willing to put on your A game, otherwise you can be here for a long time.

As said before being one of the first could give you an advantage, but if a true creator comes in late game... they can still steal the tournament.

Grades: Cards will be judge by me, and will be graded on the following Criteria.
2/10 - Random Inspiration: Does your card relate to the Random Inpiration?
2/10 - Playability: Would people want to use your card in a game?
2/10 - Creativeness: How creative is your design, the more original the better.
2/10 - Mechanic: Does your card look like it's mechanic belongs in its color and on the card itself?
1/10 - Flavor Text: Inspire everyone with your witty flavor text to earn yourself an extra point!
1/10 - The Tie breaker: So what happens when we have two people with 9/10 points?! I will determine the victor via a council that won't be participating in this Tournament.

Time Limit: Each round will run for 48hrs to be fair to all time zones. Except on certain holidays. Events during holidays will last 72hrs.

Current Round: Round Three: Time to send them a Message. [48hrs]

Leader Board:

Contestant--------------------------------------------------------Rounds Won---------------------------------Which rounds won.

Esterdi       -------------------------------------------------------         0  ---------------------------------------
Fenix          -------------------------------------------------------         1  ---------------------------------------     1
Ulcaster     ---------- ---------------------------------------------         0  ---------------------------------------
altimis        -------------------------------------------------------         1  ---------------------------------------      2
Azure Shade------------------------------------------------------         0  ---------------------------------------
vlord            ------------------------------------------------------         0  -------------------------------------
IceMetalPunk-----------------------------------------------------         0  -------------------------------------
magicpablo666 --------------------------------------------------         0  ------------------------------------

Lunastik        -----------------------------------------------------         0  -------------------------------------

Thirty Second Wind
Instant

Gain 2X life, where X is the amount of damage target opponent has dealt to you this turn.

You shall not fell me a second time!
Archangel's Wrath
Sorcery
~ deals 3 damage to each creature. You gain 3 life for each creature damaged this way.
"Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Aohan's Revenge

Sorcery

Remove all damage from target creature you control. Then that creature fights each creature that has dealt combat damage to it this turn.

"This world will pay for what it has done to me!"
—Aohan, the Imprisioned
Gwendlyn's Wrath
Sorcery
Each player discards a card for each creature he or she controls.
"I've tried pleasure, now I'll show them pain."- Gwendlyn Di Corci
Raging Fire -- :RM::RM:
Instant (R)

Counter target spell that targets you. Raging Fire deals 2 damage to you.

Many mages learn that when you play with fire, you will get burned. Chandra has learned that playing with enough fire, can be a deterrant.
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.

Second Wind

Is already a thing.

Anyway...

Fright 
Sorcery
Destroy any number of creatures with a total power of 5 or less.
"Boo!"  - Liliana Vess

Using cards like Mossbridge Troll, Phyrexian Dreadnought, Protean Hulk as my wording template. 

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Changed name.
updated leaderboard to show current contestants.
Mournful Sorrow
Sorcery
Destroy up to X creatures target opponent controls. Then he or she discards X cards.
"You have not known sorrow until your comrades have fallen!" ~Ashling, the Extinguisher

*EDIT* Damn, how do I get rid of dice rolls?

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

"I play a Grave Betrayal. I get all your dead things now, mwahahahaha!"
"Okay. I play a Phage the Untouchable. Piss me off and I will sac it."
"... ... ... so guys, remind me again how to sac my own enchantments?"

Contestant--------------------------------------------------------Rounds Won---------------------------------Which rounds won.

Esterdi       -------------------------------------------------------         0  ---------------------------------------
Fenix          -------------------------------------------------------         0  ---------------------------------------
Ulcaster     --------------------------------------------------------         0  ---------------------------------------
altimis        -------------------------------------------------------         0  ---------------------------------------
Azure Shade------------------------------------------------------         0  ---------------------------------------

Am I not included?

Fenix          -------------------------------------------------------         0  ---------------------------------------
Ulcaster     --------------------------------------------------------         0  ---------------------------------------
altimis        -------------------------------------------------------         0  ---------------------------------------

Am I not included?

My apologies, I must've missed you. O.o
An Explosion of Emotion
Instant
An Explosion of Emotion deals 3 damage to target player or target tapped creature.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
An Explosion of Emotion
Instant
An Explosion of Emotion deals 3 damage to target player or target tapped creature.

This is surprisingly... normal for you. Hmmm...

An Explosion of Emotion
Instant
An Explosion of Emotion deals 3 damage to target tapped player or target creature.

:D?

192884403 wrote:
I know. I think I might've fucked up my adrenal medulla the other night.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
How about this:

An Explosion of Emotion
Sorcery
Each player may feel the emotion of their choice until end of turn. (To feel an emotion, pick a colour. That colour is your emotion. You own all cards of the chosen colour, but if any other player owns a card that you own, it may not be returned to your hand, or shuffled into your library, and if it would be put into a graveyard, it is removed from the game instead.)

And, in logical procession:

Depress
Instant
Target opponent feels Blue. (This effect lasts indefinitely.)

"Stop it. You'll put out my hair."
- Chandra to Jace

139359831 wrote:
I quite like where that is going.

I am going to attempt going even deeper.

Flatter
Instant
Target opponent blushes. (This effect lasts indefinitely.)
"Awwwww, you didn't have to!"

192884403 wrote:
Mournful Sorrow
Sorcery
Destroy up to X creatures target opponent controls. Then he or she discards X cards.
"You have not known sorrow until your comrades have fallen!" ~Ashling, the Extinguisher

The X in your cost didn't show up for some reason.

*Poke*

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Round 1 closed. grades later

ROUND 2: Good Gosh its a Mystery Box!
Round 1 Grades

2/10 - Mechanic: Does your card look like it's mechanic belongs in its color and on the card itself?
1/10 - Flavor Text: Inspire everyone with your witty flavor text to earn yourself an extra point!
1/10 - The Tie breaker: So what happens when we have two people with 9/10 points?! I will determine the victor via a council that won't be participating in this Tournament.

Esterdi- 5 this card extremely strong for it its mana cost, fell a bit on relating to topic though.

Fenix - 9 all around good card.

vlord - 5 lost some point mechanics wise, not alot of red cards that remove damage.

Ulcaster - 8 all around good card. lost 1 point in playability due to triple black cost.

altimis - 6 it was a good card but fell a bit on topic relation, as well as counter is really a red thing.

AzureShade - 6 was a good card, lost some points in playability.

IceMetalPunk - 3 I feel like this card started out as one idea and you tried to change it to something else and didn't finish it.

magicpablo666 - 6 simple/boring/playable card. I picked your first one since you didn't specify which one was your entry.

WINNER: Fenix - Archangel Wrath
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true">AzureShade - 6 was a good card, lost some points in playability.

Can you elaborate on that?  Playability seemed to be the card's strongest thing.

Fright 
Sorcery
Destroy any number of creatures with a total power of 5 or less.
"Boo!"  - Liliana Vess

Lost on points in playabilty due to high mana cost and a great deal of black creatures are less than 5. as well with certain combos this card could
be vicously strong. total breakdown of points lost was, 1 - random inspiration, 1 - playability, 1 - creativeness, 1- tie breaker.

its not so much as this card suffered strongly in any point. just little things here and there. and in certain situations this card could come out strong.
Woo, one first round... FIRST BLOOD

card for round 2 to come soon

192884403 wrote:
updated current round info. Restarting time as info was misleading at the time
Round 2:

Aether Portal |
Artifact
, sacrifice ~: Each player reveals the top five cards of their library, then puts all creature cards revealed this way onto the battlefield, and the rest into their graveyard.
The ground trembles as order is driven back into darkness. Chaos has arrived.
teferi's puzzle box

Darksteel box

Artifact

~ is indestructible.

If Darksteel Box is removed from the battlefield, flip a coin. If heads, put an artifact creature from yoir hand with power 4 or greater onto the battlefield. If tails, put an artifact creature from your hand with power 3 or less onto the battlefield. 

"Don't touch it! Who knows what kind of creatures it could contain." Kemba, Kha Regent 
Dungeon Box
Artifact
Imprint - When ~ enters the battlefield, exile a card from your hand face down imprinted on ~.
When an opponent casts a spell with the same name as the face down card, you may turn that card face up. If you do, counter that spell. (It is still imprinted.)
Opponents cannot cast spells with the same name as the imprinted card if it is face up.
He hid away knowledge in a magical box. From that moment, he ensured that none would come across the knowledge to defeat him.
56965458 wrote:
As long as it's random, I really can't see where's the problem. Anyway, there's already a few standard ways for doing this. We listed them in this thread. If someone does the bogey-bogey, eats the cards, waits until they come out, look out the approximate order, place replacements in the same order, calls the president to ask him to give him a string of numbers, puts the card in the given order, then pick the cards in the order given by taking the date of birth of his opponent, reversed, and taking only every other number, then a judge can clearly declare that he's random enough.
56874518 wrote:
The beauty of sarcasm is that when the person using it is totally incorrect, you can just remove the sarcasm and end up with a post that is actually correct.
Pandora's Box
Legendary Artifact
, : Each player sacrifices all of his or her creatures and discards his or her hand. For each card discarded this way or creature sacrificed this way, each player puts a 1/1 black horror creature token with shadow on the battlefield.

192884403 wrote:
Planeswalker's Journal

Artifact

(Art depicts a box. A big metal box. Yep... A box.)

Play with the top card of your library revealed.
As long the top card of your library has an activated mana ability, ~ gains that ability.
: Add to your mana pool.

"A planeswalker does not keep a diary of the places they go. They carry the very essence of places they have been away with them."
Pandora's Box --
Artifact (R)

:WM::UM::BM::RM::GM:, :T:, Sacrifice Pandora's Box: Choose one at random - You gain 20 life; or you draw 60 cards; or destroy all creatures; or Pandora's Box deals 20 damage divided as you choose among any number of target creatures; or prevent all combat damage that would be dealt for the rest of the game.

Pandora didn't want to open the box. Nothing says you shouldn't.

Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.

192884403 wrote:
End of Round 2

grades tommorow

Round Three: Time to send them a Message.

Gifts of Winter
Sorcery
Each player exiles a card facedown chosen at random. For each card, another random player may look at that card and cast it without paying its mana cost as long as it remains face down.
56965458 wrote:
As long as it's random, I really can't see where's the problem. Anyway, there's already a few standard ways for doing this. We listed them in this thread. If someone does the bogey-bogey, eats the cards, waits until they come out, look out the approximate order, place replacements in the same order, calls the president to ask him to give him a string of numbers, puts the card in the given order, then pick the cards in the order given by taking the date of birth of his opponent, reversed, and taking only every other number, then a judge can clearly declare that he's random enough.
56874518 wrote:
The beauty of sarcasm is that when the person using it is totally incorrect, you can just remove the sarcasm and end up with a post that is actually correct.
Suprise sudden grades for Round 2. Congrats to altimis.

Round 2 Grades

Ulcaster - 8/10 Lost 1 point in Random Inspriration
an_endless_epidemic - 8/10 Lost 1 point in Playability
LunaStik - 8/10 Lost 1 point in playability
Fenix - 7/10 Lost 1 point in playability and 1 point in flavor text.
vlord - 8/10 lost 1 point in Random Inspiration
altimis - 9/10 Looks like a fun card.

Winner of round 2 - altimis
Suprise sudden grades for Round 2. Congrats to altimis.

Round 2 Grades

Ulcaster - 8/10 Lost 1 point in Random Inspriration
an_endless_epidemic - 8/10 Lost 1 point in Playability
LunaStik - 8/10 Lost 1 point in playability
Fenix - 7/10 Lost 1 point in playability and 1 point in flavor text.
vlord - 8/10 lost 1 point in Random Inspiration
altimis - 9/10 Looks like a fun card.

Winner of round 2 - altimis

Did I lose a point because of flip a coin?

I'mma be pissed... 
nope tiebreaker wasn't used this turn, in fact I've yet to use it all this tournament

I expect tiebreaker will be used in the future as people are creating better and better cards. but It's yet ot be used

If you didn't loss the 1 point in playability I would of had to use tiebreaker, but I will say, it's not choosen by a coin flip, but rather than a group of peers on the forums that I pm. some of which havn't been seen in months
nope tiebreaker wasn't used this turn, in fact I've yet to use it all this tournament

I expect tiebreaker will be used in the future as people are creating better and better cards. but It's yet ot be used

If you didn't loss the 1 point in playability I would of had to use tiebreaker, but I will say, it's not choosen by a coin flip, but rather than a group of peers on the forums that I pm. some of which havn't been seen in months

Not quite what I meant. I mean did I lose a point in playability with my card because of the coin flip?
Sign In to post comments