Any word on post-Gruumsh Dungeon Command?

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
There's been plenty of speculation in the Dungeon Command forums that WotC is going to abandon the line after the Gruumsh set. There's been nothing but silence from WotC on the issue. If WotC is not planning on killing off the line, they better get an announcement out there quick because word on the street is that the line is dying and people are reluctant to buy into a system that is going to be DOA.

Whatever you're planning, please tell us!
I can almost guarentee that it will be axed. I can also guarentee WotC will say nothing about.

Dice less skirmish...worst idea ever.
if this line does fail, i can imagine there's a number ofd reasons for it, i don't believe game design is one of them.

let's start with the obvious: cost. especially in a tight economic period like most are experiencing at the moment. $30 for 12 minis wa a tough sell for me, especially for reprints. that was a turnoff for most of the completionists to begin with.

the lack of army building options didn't help the game's case either. i couldn't see many people buying duplicates of the same starter just to forge an army.    oh well, at least i have pathfinder minis and dungeon crawler minis now.  

Have you actually played the game? It's actually a lot of fun. And this is coming from a hard core DDM Guild skirmish player who's played countless battles using all the rule sets over the years.

You just have to think of it as a very different game. IMO Dungeon Command doesn't replace traditional dice based skirmish but rather stands beside it as a separate game. I enjoy playing both and I hope WotC continues to support the DC line.

For those who only want to play a dice based version of these sets, DDM Guild will be releasing stat cards for the new sculpts in the near future. Go check out their site for the latest news on D&D skirmish.
Too expensive for reprints.

If they would be all new I'd consider buying a box.

Have you actually played the game? It's actually a lot of fun. And this is coming from a hard core DDM Guild skirmish player who's played countless battles using all the rule sets over the years.

You just have to think of it as a very different game. IMO Dungeon Command doesn't replace traditional dice based skirmish but rather stands beside it as a separate game. I enjoy playing both and I hope WotC continues to support the DC line.

For those who only want to play a dice based version of these sets, DDM Guild will be releasing stat cards for the new sculpts in the near future. Go check out their site for the latest news on D&D skirmish.

Yeah- I played the game.  It's okay but pales in comparison to three sets a year with stat cards.  The biggest issue I have with dice less is that it ruled out solo-play. My group did this a lot with the old skirmish game when we wanted to test the rules or couldn't find people to play against. Dungeon Command took away solo play.

Plus, a set of 12 minis once every other month sucks. And most are reprints. Give us the streets of shadow 40 mini set. Need some Wilden and there are some key monsters missing from the first 4E MM. Come on Peter- throw us a bone here!
I would love to see 3 sets in particular, with Dragonlance themes.  Heroes/Innfellows, Dragonarmies, and Lord Soth's army.  You could easily fill out a 12 mini set with each of them and they could have rules that when fighting against each other, there are some new mechanics or something.  Or a Dragonlance board game.
The biggest issue I have with dice less is that it ruled out solo-play.

Howso?

fwiw: since solo play was never supported, your above objection is not technically relevant to the meritoriousness of the idea.
It's a shame. I bought the Cormyr one and was very happy with the quality of the minis and tiles. If it gets cancelled that's going to suck big time. Why is WotC so schizophrenic with its product lines as of late? 
Khyber is a dark and dangerous place, full of flame and smoke, where ever stranger things lie dormant.
Why is WotC so schizophrenic with its product lines as of late? 

- One reason might be that Hasbro initially supported D&D as a "Core Brand" (i.e. sales of $50mil per year), even though it did not have the numbers for that. When D&D was then unable to meet the "Core Brand" numbers, Hasbro possibly reduced (or at least altered) it's support, resulting in a schizophrenic WotC.

- Another reason might be that creating new product lines facilitates selling new products (i.e. there's little reason to buy a new PHB or setting if the old one sufficed).

The biggest issue I have with dice less is that it ruled out solo-play.

Howso?

fwiw: since solo play was never supported, your above objection is not technically relevant to the meritoriousness of the idea.

Uh, the answer to your 'how so'question above is pretty obvious. Playing solo with a card system isn't all that fun or easy to do. Skirmish had just dice and stats- way easier. A ton of people I met in the pre-releases and tournaments solo played in order to test out new minis and new tactics out.

Now- in regards to meritoriousness- deserving of honor or esteem...okay. Something tells me you don't fully grasp the meaning of this word.  I guess if I was striving to gain esteem or honor through my observation, maybe- a big, fat maybe at that. Maybe the antonym of meritoriousness would have been better- discreditable. Maybe my use of solo play isn't given much credit because it wasn't part of the rules is what you meant (which is sucky logic anyhow- but I digress...)

Something tells me you don't fully grasp the meaning of this word.

Inconceivable. By saying "Dice less skirmish...worst idea ever", you were opining that the idea of diceless skirmish had no merit.

Yep- I think stating that Dice less skirmish...worst idea ever is obviously saying it has no merit. Watch- the line will be cancelled soon...because it sucks.
Yep- I think stating that Dice less skirmish...worst idea ever is obviously saying it has no merit. Watch- the line will be cancelled soon...because it sucks.

I, for one, hope you are wrong about that.

I have been playing Dungeon Command with a few close friends and we have been having an excellent time with it.

The cross between D&D and M:tG is the best of both worlds.  We have had some great discussions about building order decks, strategy and the potential future of Dungeon Command.

At first, i thought that the absence of dice was a major mistake by the developers.  However, after playing the game a few times, I have come to realize how much fun the Order deck adds to the game.  Once again, the cross between D&D and Magic is absolutely fantastic and I am eager to see what is in store for Dungeon Command.
I, for one, hope you are wrong about that.

I too believe that diceless wargaming was an excellent idea! However, my own gripes with dungeon command were:
- Scalability: it moves too slow for mass combats. But that's in spite of diceless rather than because of it.
- Lack of integration with D&D: there was no value to using the game in conjunction with my D&D campaign. Indeed, it only simulated something D&D already did (skirmish).

that's still doesn't make your point as to why if the line is indeed cancelled.

what do you feel went wrong with the game?

how does it need to improve to be sustainable?

mvincent, nailed my agruement of what went wrong, it basically had no compatibility with d&d whatsoever. it was more geared towards to boardgames, than the rpg. plus too many repaints ( considering i have dozen of each figure with a few minor exceptions), the price costs clearly didn'y help , as well as a lack of armies choices for me.
I would love to see 3 sets in particular, with Dragonlance themes.  Heroes/Innfellows, Dragonarmies, and Lord Soth's army.  You could easily fill out a 12 mini set with each of them and they could have rules that when fighting against each other, there are some new mechanics or something.  Or a Dragonlance board game.

I would like to see this as well. 

I Am A: Neutral Good Human Druid (5th Level)

Ability Scores:
Strength-16
Dexterity-13
Constitution-17
Intelligence-15
Wisdom-16
Charisma-14

Alignment:
Neutral Good A neutral good character does the best that a good person can do. He is devoted to helping others. He works with kings and magistrates but does not feel beholden to them. Neutral good is the best alignment you can be because it means doing what is good without bias for or against order. However, neutral good can be a dangerous alignment when it advances mediocrity by limiting the actions of the truly capable.

Race:
Humans are the most adaptable of the common races. Short generations and a penchant for migration and conquest have made them physically diverse as well. Humans are often unorthodox in their dress, sporting unusual hairstyles, fanciful clothes, tattoos, and the like.

Class:
Druids gain power not by ruling nature but by being at one with it. They hate the unnatural, including aberrations or undead, and destroy them where possible. Druids receive divine spells from nature, not the gods, and can gain an array of powers as they gain experience, including the ability to take the shapes of animals. The weapons and armor of a druid are restricted by their traditional oaths, not simply training. A druid's Wisdom score should be high, as this determines the maximum spell level that they can cast.

Find out What Kind of Dungeons and Dragons Character Would You Be?, courtesy of Easydamus (e-mail)

I can almost guarentee that it will be axed. I can also guarentee WotC will say nothing about. Dice less skirmish...worst idea ever.

It is brilliant. I think it is the freshest thing to come from WOC. Period. We use the minis for our tabletop game as well. They are beautiful. The replay value alone is staggering if you own all the set. The price point is excellent as well. I too poo poo'd it when I heard about. Then I played it and was blown out of the water with how balanced and seemless it was. I do hope it continues. If not we have all the sets and will enjoy it as a rainy day diversion that doesn't require all of the set-up time of a traditional D&D game.
I have a massive collection of DnD minis and was intially pissed they used so many reprints because
they devalued my collection some plus I didnt want to buy minis I already had. However, a buddy and I picked up all 5 sets to between us and I am very happy with the game. It plays like a mix of DnD and magic the gathering. I can get a tactical DnD like game in without spending hours of prep time. We are holding off changing the armies or buying duplicate boxes until we exhaust playing with  the 5 base sets. We dont want it to turn into an arms race like magic does. Please make at least a couple more armies wizards! A few army boosters or card boosters wouldnt be a bad idea either but dont make them random. I like that you can win through tactics and not by how much money you spend.     

I had a great time playing Dungeon Command on Saturday night. We played three games and each one had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Every time I play the game I see new layers of depth. The card based mechanic seemed really wierd at first but it has really grown on me. I still enjoy playing regular DDM skirmish and see DC as a totally different game. It's like comparing chess and Go; similar but yet fundamentally different.

There is huge value here: a great tabletop skirmish game, a dozen minis for use in an RPG session, cards so the minis can be used in an Adventure System game, and dungeon tiles for use in RPG's or other games. I know the sets are $40 (cheaper if you get them online) but you really do get a LOT of bang for your buck.

To anyone who's on the fence about this game, give it a try, I suspect you'll be pleasantly surprised at how fun it is. 
Personally, I wasn't a fan of the game itself.  It was just kind of boring, and some of the rules seemed arbitrary.  That said, I really did love the minis themselvs.  I came into D&D after they stopped coming out with minis, and the only options I had (besides ordering online, which I don't really like to do) was the few random boosters that I would find every now and then at different game stores.  However, I hated never getting the minis that I actually wanted.  Dungeon Comman solved that problem, and I gladly shelled out the $30 for each set to avoid the random selections.  
I've been impressed by every set. I played Gruumsh recently, and it is a really fun set! The minis are beautiful, the tiles cool, and the game fun.

My only issue is that it is a bit long. I would like it to play faster, so it would make more sense in between RPG sessions rather than replacing them.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).