I'm ready...

47 posts / 0 new
Last post
Two friends and I will leave for Malaysia today and after more han a week of travel and nightlife two of us will be playing in Singapore Grand Prix sealed. Unfortunately due to the end of the period I have no byes.  =  (

I'll tune you guys into anything interesting at the event, specific or general. I'll most-likely post something with the pools of my friend and I to see if there were better builds or at least different ideas. If I can improve on Taipei's 5-2-1 record I'd be thrilled.

Wish us luck...we're going to need it!
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
Good luck!

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Safe travels and good beats!
Good luck!

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
Good luck! May you forever open your packs to Pack Rat.
Came for the flavor, stayed for the game. (10/4/2013: Discovered that I suppose I most closely resemble a Vorthos player, right after my odd obsession with making hyper-budget but effective decks and right before being a Johnny)
UPDATE: Singapore GP

I've made Day Two!

Over 850 people (I believe) entered, and I managed to make the cut.

7-2 (the hard way...no byes)

Started 3-0

then lost 2 straight matches

finally won my last 4 matches to get the automatic qualification with 21 points.

Rix Maadi Guildmage, Lobber Crew, Sewer Shambler and Stab Wound were the unsung heroes...Desecration Demon, Spawn of Rix Madi (3)!! and Carnival Hellstead were good as well.

Wish me luck...we have draft at 9am! 
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
Grats!  And good luck!

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
SWEET! Good luck big guy!

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Good luck!
Nice job! Keep working hard.
Awesome work, good luck in the upcoming days!
Came for the flavor, stayed for the game. (10/4/2013: Discovered that I suppose I most closely resemble a Vorthos player, right after my odd obsession with making hyper-budget but effective decks and right before being a Johnny)
So how badly did you lose?

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:

What do you mean?

I finished 10-5 that's pretty good...is it not?

What do you mean?

Well, you didn't win the GP, and the opposite of winning is losing.  10-5 isn't losing very badly, which is good for you.

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:

What do you mean?

Well, you didn't win the GP, and the opposite of winning is losing.  10-5 isn't losing very badly, which is good for you.

He, how did you do? Oh you didn't go? The you probably should refrain from making rude comments.

What do you mean?

He, how did you do? Oh you didn't go? The you probably should refrain from making rude comments.

Rude is subjective.  Victory isn't.  If you don't win, you lose.  It happens a lot of the time, and if you can't handle it, go play some children's game where everyone's a winner, because I'm not going to pretend that he won the GP to preserve your delicate sensibilities.

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:

What do you mean?

I see it differently than you I guess. Many of my opponents in Day Two had 3 byes. Due to variance in limited (and all formats) they held a distinct advantage on me.)

If you see the other 890 people that didn't get first place as "losers" than we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I would say anyone who left with a winning record was a "winner".

I've gone 5-4 and 6-4-1 in my two first Grand Prixes. That did not feel like wins. While Cato's position is extreme, I see where he's coming from. Still, congratulations on the fine result.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I've gone 5-4 and 6-4-1 in my two first Grand Prixes. That did not feel like wins. While Cato's position is extreme, I see where he's coming from. Still, congratulations on the fine result.

I went 7-2 Day One with no byes, then had a mediocre first draft to add 1-2 to that (this would be the only really disappointing thing), then in draft two I went 2-1 losing the third match on excessive mulligans.

For me 10-5 against really high level competition in a format with as much variance as Limited is pretty good.

I had zero expectation of winning the event, nor making the top 8 (this is a thing involving a lot of luck).

I played each game with all out effort, was respectful, even friendly to ALL my opponents, and had a fantastic time.

Won most of my games and did better than I had imagined...difference in mindset I guess.

Happy I have mine!

7-2 is pretty impressive and basically said that you actually had a good deck. Day 2 has alot more variance. Congrats on competing at such a high level. 
7-2 is pretty impressive and basically said that you actually had a good deck. Day 2 has alot more variance. Congrats on competing at such a high level. 

Thank you!

I appreciate the sentiment.

Having to make three decks from scratch and play against high level players definetely tests your abilities and I'm happy with the result.

I may be attending GP Yohohama and for sure should be at GP Beijing and Bangkok.

I also think 7-2 is very impressive in such competitive environment. We are not talking FNM or Pre-release here. It's a GP.

Congratulations!

I've gone 5-4 and 6-4-1 in my two first Grand Prixes.

FYI... Grands Prix

Actually, it is most commonly considered that Grand Prix is the plural (i.e. no change). 

See Merriam-Webster dictionary.

Plus, is it really necessary to correct his English?  Everyone knew what he meant.
Actually, it is most commonly considered that Grand Prix is the plural (i.e. no change). 

See Merriam-Webster dictionary.

Plus, is it really necessary to correct his English?  Everyone knew what he meant.

Hum...
Except when he's using French words and the one correcting him happen to be... French.  

I also think 7-2 is very impressive in such competitive environment. We are not talking FNM or Pre-release here. It's a GP.

Congratulations!

I've gone 5-4 and 6-4-1 in my two first Grand Prixes.

FYI... Grands Prix

Thanks!

I had a really strong pool of cards, I had no useable gates or mana fixing but the deck was really powerful.

In round 4 I lost to a Selesnya deck that came out pretty fast and was piloted pretty well.

Round 5 I finally hit mana screw and lost pretty pathetically, luckily I didn't hit mana screw again until the final round of the tourney.

Except when he's using French words and the one correcting him happen to be... French.  

The words are "loan words" i.e. although they originate from French (which was the base language of English about a thousand years ago) they no longer follow french conjunction when being altered.  I agree entirely that Grands Prix is correct in French but not, I believe, in English.

The words are "loan words" i.e. although they originate from French (which was the base language of English about a thousand years ago) they no longer follow french conjunction when being altered.  I agree entirely that Grands Prix is correct in French but not, I believe, in English.

French was never any sort of "base language" for English. English is one variation of "Western Germanic" which has many off shoots and has assimilated many words and structures from other languages such as Latin, French, Spanish, etc.

I meant base as in 'default' i.e. it was the language of the monarchy and nobles and therefore words pertaining to that social class (e.g. Large Prize) retained their French derivative when english (which, I agree is a mixture of various languages predominately Celtic, Germanic and Viking) became the common tongue.
Anyway, the intention was not to be rude or condescending, just to help him learn something he probably did not know.
I would never bug someone on typos or spelling mistakes.   
Everyone does mistakes in English (and I do certainly more than others as I'm not native) but I like to learn from my mistakes when someone takes the time to explain me if/where I'm wrong. Wink
This is why semantics is the worst stuff to argue. It is completely useless and as long as meaning is conveyed there really isn't a problem. 
Agreed Tongue Out
In case it is not clear, English is not my first language. That said, I don't feel like I make a lot of mistakes (and those I do make are very niche). You'll forgive me for that small one, I'm sure.

UA: I did not mean to indicate that I had a bad time at those Grands Prix/Grand Prix - they were a blast! All I'm saying is that I'm also really focused on improving my deck building/play skill (results should improve as these improve), and I feel like I've come far since my first Grand Prix and hope to improve even more. I would certainly be overjoyed if I day two'ed a Grand Prix (here's hoping for London next month), especially without byes, but that is something different from being satisfied in my mind. When I leave for a Grand Prix (such as London), my ambition is to win it (though you could push me and I might concede that I would perhaps settle for Top 4). Finishing 5th (or 99th) would make me content (or even happy), but not satisfied.

I guess "never be satisfied" is different from your mindset, but I do not think our points of view are antagonistic. We're both having fun playing in a competitive event, after all.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
In case it is not clear, English is not my first language. That said, I don't feel like I make a lot of mistakes (and those I do make are very niche). You'll forgive me for that small one, I'm sure.

UA: I did not mean to indicate that I had a bad time at those Grands Prix/Grand Prix - they were a blast! All I'm saying is that I'm also really focused on improving my deck building/play skill (results should improve as these improve), and I feel like I've come far since my first Grand Prix and hope to improve even more. I would certainly be overjoyed if I day two'ed a Grand Prix (here's hoping for London next month), especially without byes, but that is something different from being satisfied in my mind. When I leave for a Grand Prix (such as London), my ambition is to win it (though you could push me and I might concede that I would perhaps settle for Top 4). Finishing 5th (or 99th) would make me content (or even happy), but not satisfied.

I guess "never be satisfied" is different from your mindset, but I do not think our points of view are antagonistic. We're both having fun playing in a competitive event, after all.

Of course, I understand your meaning.

We all feel bad when we're eliminated.

But I'm trying to enjoy the moment a bit more, because at the end of it all, I'd rather fight like hell and feel good, than fight like hell and feel like a loser. Let's be honest, I'll probably never win a Grand Prix, I'll fight like mad to do it, but its probably not going to happen. I will remember traveling to Singapore and Malaysia, making Day two, my first GP in Taiwan, crusing around, meeting pretty girls in Taipei and the like.

I'll tell you about one thing that you'll probably agree with me on. If you build that deck and make it to Day Two without the byes you'll have a feeling similar to "This was no fluke, I caught some luck, but I just played Magic all day with little room for error and lived to tell the tale."

If I'm at that GP and see your name on the "Day Two" board I'll walk by your table or catch you for a moment. Nothing may need be said, I'll give a focused glance, nod my head, and both you and I will understand the meaning.
Congratulations on the result.  If you're at GP Bangkok in June we may cross paths.  I intend to make it there for my first GP.

Cheers
Congratulations on the result.  If you're at GP Bangkok in June we may cross paths.  I intend to make it there for my first GP.

Cheers

Thank you...I should be there. Business may take me back stateside during part of the summer but Beijing and Bangkok are definetely on my radar as I live in China and I've been itching to visit a friend in Thailand.

Well I'm here all year round so I have no excuse really.  Just got to make sure I keep the weekend clear.  If you are coming, be sure to let me know.

Cheers
For me 10-5 against really high level competition in a format with as much variance as Limited is pretty good.

Variance helps the lesser skilled players overall. Good Job!
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
I'd keep off the subject of French if I were you.  UA isn't fond of foreign languages.

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:
((I have two byes for London, but I appreciate the sentiment. I know how hard that uphill battle is - this is my first GP with byes.))
I'd keep off the subject of French if I were you.  UA isn't fond of foreign languages.

I love foreign languages. I speak Mandarin very well and a good deal of Sichuanese in case you forgot. I just don't think its a good idea for everyone to learn them, if you already speak English.