[GTC-ICD] Gideon, Champion of Justice

163 posts / 0 new
Last post

Gideon, Champion of Justice (Mythic) -
Planeswalker - Gideon
+1: Put a loyalty counter on Gideon, Champion of Justice for each creature target opponent controls.
0: Until end of turn, Gideon, Champion of Justice becomes an indestructible Human Soldier creature with power and toughness each equal to the number of loyalty counters on him. He's still a planeswalker. Prevent all damage that would be dealt to him this turn.
-15: Exile all other permanents.

Source: Aaron Forsythe's State of the Nation post on DailyMTG.
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
is this real? source?

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

wow
Dude, what the hell? This thing is off the wall.
Oh my word....can....can they do this? Is this legal?
is it just me, or does he seem best AGAINST boros??

Guess he can take out those nasty Eldrazi now, eh people? I dunno how I feel about it. His X+1 ability gets riskier the more creatures your opponent has and can't protect himself; the ultimate definitely seems like something hard to attain. Maybe he'll just be used as a beater starting turns 4/5?
A wise man on film sequels:
Watching sequels to really good films is like visiting a bollock kicking parlour, paying your money and then proceeding to get your bollocks kicked...then leaving and returning at a later date to repeat the process. -iamthehollow
Decks: :R::G: Karn Tron :R::U: Bloody Fish There Will Be Blood (movie).
super friends say hi to your newest member his name is gideon, super friends say hello to dreadbore
I think this card is really flashy so we're going to be super impressed by it right now. I think this card is interesting and certainly punishes players for overextending. I'm not sold on this being super powerful because ultimate is almost never viable. 
He's flashy, but he's actually a pretty bad Planeswalker. No card advantage, and no self-protection.

His ultimate is basically nonachievable, and even if it was you'd usually be better attacking with your 15/15 instead, not exiling your entire board.

He's basically a 5+/5+ for 4 who dodges Sorcery speed removal, and can grow himself if the opponent has blockers.

Colour me disappointed; he's a real step down from Jura.

This is really a powerful creature, not a Planeswalker at all. 
For the one who can't show the picture

Gideon, Champion of Justice
2WW
Mythic Rare
Planeswalker - Gideon
+1 : put a loyalty counter on Gideon, Champion of Justice for each creature target opponent controls.
0 : Until end of turn, Gideon, Champion of Justice becomes indestrucable Human soldier creature with power and toughness each equal to number of loyalty counters on him. He's still a planeswalker. Prevent all damage that would be dealt to him this turn.
-15 : Exile all other permanent

Starting loyalty : 4

Beware !!!! There are Zombies even in Spaces !!!
I mostly agree with Indi, he doesn't forcefully pigeonhole your opponent like Jura, or answer bad beats when it hits the table. But I do like the design- it's a different take on Jura and that's always welcome. Will it merit the 30-50USD pricetag it will carry for atleast a month? No.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
He's flashy, but he's actually a pretty bad Planeswalker. No card advantage, and no self-protection.

His ultimate is basically nonachievable, and even if it was you'd usually be better attacking with your 15/15 instead, not exiling your entire board.

He's basically a 4/4 for 4 who dodges Sorcery speed removal, and can grow himself if the opponent has blockers.

kinda of thoughts. All flash no substance. Unless mass token fields take off you.aren't going to climb to 15 easily. Even if they do, this is likely a target. i'm not convinced this is going to do much in actual play
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
He's not great to start, but if you don't kill him he soon becomes quite the scary beast.

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012 Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

Do we have a source on this? This doesn't seem like a real card to me, it also seems super crappy.
Looks fun. Probably best to just repeatedly use his 0 ability, other than his first turn (barring haste).

And its from DailyMTG.
That ultimate is super disappointing. Planeswalkers overall are very hard to develop though, I guess they must have ran out of time before they could think up something more dynamic.

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

Do we have a source on this? This doesn't seem like a real card to me, it also seems super crappy.

It's in Aaron Forsythe's Feature Article from tonight/Wed, can't get more legit than that.
He's not great to start, but if you don't kill him he soon becomes quite the scary beast.

This is true about all planeswalkers except tibalt. 

Insurrection isn't scary?

Insurrection isn't scary?

If they have enough/big enough creatures that Insurrection is scary, Tibalt is not going to use his ult.

Same problem here, really. If they have enough creatures to make his +1 do anything, he's probably going to use it and then die. If only he protected himself. I suppose his +1 could be a worse version of his old +2; *Gets tons of counters* "Hey! Over here! Come get me!"

Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
What a scrubbish looking card. Looks like some new user's post on a custom card creation forum. What a shame that this is going to be representing magic for the next year or so. 
Khyber is a dark and dangerous place, full of flame and smoke, where ever stranger things lie dormant.
Source and full text up. Thanks for those who threw it in before I could... I was trying to post eight new cards and running up against the forum post buffer.
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
Initial thoughts.....his +1 is going to lead a bunch of people to believe he is way better than he actually is.

Really figured Gideon was gonna be good (he had a pretty good track record), but this is a serious disappointment.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."

He's basically a 4/4 for 4 who dodges Sorcery speed removal, and can grow himself if the opponent has blockers.

He's indestructable when his 0 is activated.  Short of a Tragic Slip or flashed large Mutilate (Ok, not happening, but it's technically possible.), he dodges instant removal too.

But yeah, I agree.  He's a huge step down from Jura.  Jura protected YOU and your planeswalkers.  If you are playing against aggro and they have you within kill range, Gideon 2 will be ignored and you will die.  Jura kept you alive for a turn and affected the board state (probably; because he killed a tapped creature).

He's probably best as a sideboard creature against control with loads of lingering soul tokens (that you or your opponent plays) or possibly against midrange.  Otherwise he will lose you the game.
he will see play, there is no way he won't see play, he basically puts aggro decks on a 4 or 5 turn clock until he just wipes everything from the board and kills all of their advantage, he is probably one of the better planeswalkers for control that they have printed as of late. His function if different from that of jace, architech of thought or tamiyo, the moon sage but i'd imagine they would have to worry about him even in control match ups, he is a growing indestructible manland that costs nothing to activate and his ultimate wipes out all of their lands.
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

Guess he'll take down the Eldrazi, finally.
http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20802.jpg
he will see play, there is no way he won't see play, he basically puts aggro decks on a 4 or 5 turn clock until he just wipes everything from the board and kills all of their advantage, he is probably one of the better planeswalkers for control that they have printed as of late. His function if different from that of jace, architech of thought or tamiyo, the moon sage but i'd imagine they would have to worry about him even in control match ups, he is a growing indestructible manland that costs nothing to activate and his ultimate wipes out all of their lands.

No, he's a four mana fog against an Aggro deck, if they bother to attack him at all - they can just kill you and make him irrelevant.

Wiping everything from the board against Aggro is a sure-fire way to lose the game. Exiling all your own lands and permanents means you're in a topdeck mode with your opponent, only their cards go live faster and are likely to kill you. He's basically Karn, but you start the new game with no permanents and at a drastically reduced life total.

I would only run this as a 1-of in my Control decks where there were no other creatures in the format worth playing; but regrettably for Gideon, there are plenty. Angel of Serenity, Thragtusk (esp. with Restoration Angel), and the like are all much better threats than this guy is.

The only place this guy matters is in White Weenie as a curve-topping four drop, and even then there are better cards that do the same thing. 
I can see EDH banlist keeping an eye on this one.
Interesting for EDH - can be deadly in EDH multiplayer if you can survive to the ultimate.
SWDS: 5/5

Not only does he start with 8 loyalty counters, but his +1 nets you 2X + 1 loyalty counters per activation, where X is equal to the number of creatures target opponent controls.

Unrelated: I think he needs to go into a Zedruu the Greathearted EDH deck.
If you're playing a creature heavy opponent and you have a way to give him Trample, then he's an above the curve fatty.  Not as good as Gideon Jura, but seriously thank you WotC for not making him as good as Gideon Jura.  That dude was a nightmare to face.   
SWDS: 5/5

Not only does he start with 8 loyalty counters, but his +1 nets you 2X + 1 loyalty counters per activation, where X is equal to the number of creatures target opponent controls.

Unrelated: I think he needs to go into a Zedruu the Greathearted EDH deck.

2X+2?

I'm not sure I'd even run this guy in most of my EDH decks. Elspeth 1 and Gideon 1 are both much better, to me. 
Why would it be 2X + 2?  I think you guys need to read the rules regarding adding counters as part of an activation cost.

I'm not sure I'd even run this guy in most of my EDH decks. Elspeth 1 and Gideon 1 are both much better, to me. 

EDH isn't all about playing the best cards.  At least, not to everyone.
Why would it be 2X + 2?  I think you guys need to read the rules regarding adding counters as part of an activation cost.

Doubling Season All his critiques are based whether or not the card synergizes with Doubling Season. SwDS=Synergy with Doubling Season
Watching sequels to really good films is like visiting a bollock kicking parlour, paying your money and then proceeding to get your bollocks kicked...then leaving and returning at a later date to repeat the process. -iamthehollow
is it just me, or does he seem best AGAINST boros??

I'd say best against Gruul really. 

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

but adding a loyalty counter is a cost, it doesnt get doubled which i think is what dslatimore was saying

Aha, well then he had it right as 2X+1

Doubling Season All his critiques are based whether or not the card synergizes with Doubling Season. SwDS=Synergy with Doubling Season

My point is that it's 2X + 1, not 2X + 2.

No, he's a four mana fog against an Aggro deck, if they bother to attack him at all - they can just kill you and make him irrelevant.

Wiping everything from the board against Aggro is a sure-fire way to lose the game. Exiling all your own lands and permanents means you're in a topdeck mode with your opponent, only their cards go live faster and are likely to kill you. He's basically Karn, but you start the new game with no permanents and at a drastically reduced life total.

I would only run this as a 1-of in my Control decks where there were no other creatures in the format worth playing; but regrettably for Gideon, there are plenty. Angel of Serenity, Thragtusk (esp. with Restoration Angel), and the like are all much better threats than this guy is.

The only place this guy matters is in White Weenie as a curve-topping four drop, and even then there are better cards that do the same thing. 

just exile everything from the board when you have a full hand after casting something like sphinx's revelation at the end of their turn and you start the game over with a full hand and they start out with like 2 cards in their hands at tops, not to mention if your running WB control you can flash back things like think twice or something, control decks are based around card advantage, if you play his final ability when you have 2 cards in your hand your not playing him right; he is basically a free worldslayer type ability that takes time to charge up.

not to mention hes probably just going to be used as a massive indestructible creature most likely in these types of decks and his ultimate won't even matter, hes just a big fat finisher for control decks.