Crit Question

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok. I've been playing a Whirling Barbarian. Tonight I Rolled a critical hit with my Whirling Frenzy. The power description is as follows. 1[W]+1[W] (off-hand weapon) + Strength modifier. So I'm wondering do I add the crit dice for both weapong or just one??
I'm not entirely certainly, but... What's the Attack line say? If you only roll to hit with your main-hand weapon, I'd say you only add your main-hand weapon's critical damage.
Gunmage, a homebrew arcane striker. (Heroic Tier playtest ready.) GDocs link. (More up to date.)
Well, this isn't really the board for this question. Take it to the character optimization boards. They'll be able to answer
Well, this isn't really the board for this question. Take it to the character optimization boards. They'll be able to answer

I think you mean Rules Q&A?
Yep. Both dice.

EDIT: To explain further, think about it as if you were using a maul. If a 2d6 weapon scores a critical hit, then both dice auto-roll max damage. 2d6 is actually 1d6+1d6. This power just has two different dice ex:   1d8+1d6. All dice rolled as part of the hit roll max damage. If they were seperate attacks and therefore seperate hits, then it would only count on whichever one crit.

He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life. -Revelation 21:6

Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee.-John Donne, Meditation XVII

My photo was found here.

Actually, I think the OP means magic weapon Crit dice. He's asking if he would add both the 2d6 fire from his +2 flaming weapon (main hand), and the 2d6 cold from his +2 frost weapon (off-hand) when he crits.

I'm not entirely sure if its RAW or RAI, but my ruling would be that because the attack is actually being made with the main hand weapon, only that weapon's critical dice are added. But, as TheForgottenCommander said, regular dice from both weapons would still be maximized.
So you would deal (main hand:max) + (off hand:max) + Str(and other petty modifiers) + (main hand magic crit: rolled).

And... hopefully only your main hand weapon is high crit, because I don't have a ruling for if the off-hand weapon is high crit too. For consistency with the above suggestion, I would probably include only main-hand high crit dice, but I don't know if that would be a step too restrictive. I don't know....

Anyway, that's my advice.

Nothing.

That is all.

Whoops. Scimmed when i should've scanned.

He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life. -Revelation 21:6

Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee.-John Donne, Meditation XVII

My photo was found here.

And... hopefully only your main hand weapon is high crit, because I don't have a ruling for if the off-hand weapon is high crit too. For consistency with the above suggestion, I would probably include only main-hand high crit dice, but I don't know if that would be a step too restrictive. I don't know....

I maintain my stance: If you're only rolling to hit with your main hand weapon, only your main hand weapon gets the critical effects (high crit property and bonus damage), while all the damage listed on the power (including 1[W] (off-hand)) is maximized as normal. So it doesn't matter if off-hand is high crit or not if you're only rolling to hit with the main hand weapon.
Gunmage, a homebrew arcane striker. (Heroic Tier playtest ready.) GDocs link. (More up to date.)

I maintain my stance: If you're only rolling to hit with your main hand weapon, only your main hand weapon gets the critical effects (high crit property and bonus damage), while all the damage listed on the power (including 1[W] (off-hand)) is maximized as normal. So it doesn't matter if off-hand is high crit or not if you're only rolling to hit with the main hand weapon.

I agree.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
That is where I was leaning, but I have a tendency (in my own mind at least) to be a bit harsh in my rules judgments. Sometimes I like to err the other way to compensate.

Nothing.

That is all.