Ideas to keep artifacts away from BBEG?

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for ideas, magical or otherwise, to hide some artifacts from a BBEG thats seeking them.  Our DM has a great world going, and we're collecting these dragon orbs and the bad guys are collecting them as well. (yes, weve made all the dragon ball jokes already) 

Our main problem is the BBEG is coming for what we've collected.  Does anyone know of any wonderous items or other things you could suggest that we could use to hide them?  We're in a pretty high magic city at the moment so I think he'd make stuff available in shops or tracking down someone to make it.

If you need more info let me know.  Posting half asleep at the moment, but any help would be super appreciated!  Thanks!
Character level and system?
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
And setting? (It's a very different picture if you're playing Dragonlance...)
Bag of Holding

Use the Self-Holding Bag ritual to pretty much put the Bag of Holding inside itself(and you can pull it out anytime by simply grabbing the air and pulling out, or putting it back in the same way). It lasts 24 hours though, so it does have to be recast each morning.
Character level and system?

4E and we're all level 15.  It's a homebrew world but similiar to the points of light world the DM guide sets up, we have access to the shadowfell and feywild.
Bag of Holding

Use the Self-Holding Bag ritual to pretty much put the Bag of Holding inside itself(and you can pull it out anytime by simply grabbing the air and pulling out, or putting it back in the same way). It lasts 24 hours though, so it does have to be recast each morning.

That ritual looks good.  Looking for something with a bit longer duration but this'll be good in a pinch.  Thanks!
Why not fight the BBEG and take him down?  If you know where he is going to be when he comes at you can you not lay-in-wait for him?

Also, how big is everything you are hiding?  Is it possible for you to open a portal to the astral sea, toss everything in a Leomund's Chest and chuck the chest through the portal? 
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Why not fight the BBEG and take him down?  If you know where he is going to be when he comes at you can you not lay-in-wait for him?

Also, how big is everything you are hiding?  Is it possible for you to open a portal to the astral sea, toss everything in a Leomund's Chest and chuck the chest through the portal? 

At this point he's just too tough for us to take out. 

The orbs can change size and be taken down to the size of a marble.  Checking out that ritual now, thanks for pointing me in that direction!
Do you need them for some purpose of your own, or are you just trying to keep the BBEG from doing things with them?

If it's the latter, do some research on them and figure out how to destroy the ones you've collected.  If he needs all of them for some nefarious purpose, that officially renders him hosed.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
My familiarity with dragon orbs is that of Dragonlance: It is JUST easier to smash em if you dont need em. Maybe use them to get a dragon to go kill BBEG for you, since you then dont need to actually be strong enough for him.

No-one can fight a couple dragons at once... 
The ritual 'Hallowed Temple' and the magic item 'Exodus knife" could each allow you to protect them for 8 hours.
I second the recomendation of opening a portal to the astral sea, and hiding them in a leomunds chest on some distant earth mote. You could also use the item "gloves of storing" to hold 2 of them a piece. This ensures that he will not get them without incapacitating the party.
The group I DM for are trying to keep a sword with a necroshard away from a group of Necromancers who want to use the shard to raise an army. They found a higher level wizard who cast Aura Mask (lvl 8 ritual) on the sword to make it appear nonmagical. They also secured a golden eye to the scabbard, so as long as the sword is sheathed or within 20 squares of the sheathe, the ritual remains in effect. He taught one of the group's casters the ritual, but since it uses an arcana role to set the DC of magically detecting the sword, the original caster's DC is probably higher than the players can achieve at this point.

It does not, however, prevent the bad guys from tracking the PCs themselves ...
The group I DM for are trying to keep a sword with a necroshard away from a group of Necromancers who want to use the shard to raise an army. They found a higher level wizard who cast Aura Mask (lvl 8 ritual) on the sword to make it appear nonmagical. They also secured a golden eye to the scabbard, so as long as the sword is sheathed or within 20 squares of the sheathe, the ritual remains in effect. He taught one of the group's casters the ritual, but since it uses an arcana role to set the DC of magically detecting the sword, the original caster's DC is probably higher than the players can achieve at this point.

This is definitely one of those cases where my first thought would be 'Let's see if we can destroy this thing'.

This is definitely one of those cases where my first thought would be 'Let's see if we can destroy this thing'.

Yeah, they are looking into that, but it leads them into much more dangerous territory, and the group decided the weapon still would be safer with them than trying to hide it somewhere.

Not everyone is prepared to march into Mordor ;)
I'd do the cool bag trick and then make a load of fakes and give them out to the party. Make sure that nobody knows about the fakes outside the party. If a party member is then in a situation where they have to give up an orb they can just yell "NEVER!" and distroy it, or better yet make him think you ported it to another dimention so he has a chance of running off on a pointless quest. Make sure you all have clear plans on how to distroy the fakes in a way that looks real. (Villan running off and leaving his home base ungarded is also a cool plot-hook)
Swallow them
Swallow them

Holy simple and awesome bat-man.
Show
And then he can't get it without a cutting weapon and a willingness to hurt people, and he doesn't have any of those, right?

Founder - but not owner - of Just Say Yes!

Member of LGBT Gamers

Odds are, if 4-6 people can't figure out an answer you thought was obvious, you screwed up, not them. - JeffGroves
Which is why a DM should present problems to solve, not solutions to find. -FlatFoot
Why there should be the option to use alignment systems:
Show
If some people are heavily benefiting from the inclusion of alignment, then it would behoove those that AREN'T to listen up and pay attention to how those benefits are being created and enjoyed, no? -YagamiFire
But equally important would be for those who do enjoy those benefits to entertain the possibility that other people do not value those benefits equally or, possibly, do not see them as benefits in the first place. -wrecan (RIP)
That makes sense. However, it is not fair to continually attack those that benefit for being, somehow, deviant for deriving enjoyment from something that you cannot. Instead, alignment is continually attacked...it is demonized...and those that use it are lumped in with it.

I think there is more merit in a situation where someone says "This doesn't work! It's broken!" and the reply is "Actually it works fine for me. Have you considered your approach might be causing it?"

than a situation where someone says "I use this system and the way I use it works really well!" and the back and forth is "No! It is a broken bad system!" -YagamiFire

And then he can't get it without a cutting weapon and a willingness to hurt people, and he doesn't have any of those, right?

Or waiting for a while ...

Cut back on fiber consumption and eat some hardtack. That'll keep those bad boys backed up for a while
Spiteful Wizard and Voice of Reason of the House of Trolls The Silent God of the House of Trolls Unfrozen OTTer Arbiter of the House of Trolls Yes, I have many titles. Deal with it.
One fun thing you could do with that sword (if DM lets you) is raid a dungeon and then turn all the monsters undead and find some way to lure the Necros in (well, they wanted undead monsters, right?). Maybe you could make it seem like the sword was in there with magic or spread a rumour it was. Hell, you could even use ilusion to make it look like a litch killed the party and walked off towards the cave with the sword. Then all you have to do is hide the sword and wait until the necromancers go looking in the cave to spring a trap while they are fighting their way through the hordes.

Cut back on fiber consumption and eat some hardtack. That'll keep those bad boys backed up for a while

"The world shall be saved ... by cheese."
Sign In to post comments