New DM Looking for Online Group

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi, I've been recently getting quite interested in Dungeons and Dragons and have played with the idea of setting up an online game for a while, but have previously not been quite sure how to approach this effectively. I'd be very much interested in playing the role of a DM.

I have been studying 4e rules and also some 3.5 for several months now on and off but without a group, have not been able to take this much further. However, through reading the new fifth edition playest packet I've become intrigued by starting a group from scratch based on the new and still developing fifth edition rules.
I feel this is a great opportunity for players who have little or no experience yet with D and D to develop some playing experience and also a good opportunity equally for experienced players to come aboard, if they dont mind putting up with a beginner DM and some new players who are still learning the ropes.
We could then see where it leads. Perhaps to an ongoing online campaign hopefully, and this is also a great chance to follow the development of the next D&D edition and be ontop of the mechanics early.

I'm wanting to setup the game using openRPG which is free software to anyone and seems a great tool for running D&D online. I'm currently getting to grips with the software and wanted to express my ideas now so I can concentrate on setting everything up.

If anyone has any questions or would like to express an interest in joining in please let me know.

--Tom
Hi, I've been recently getting quite interested in Dungeons and Dragons and have played with the idea of setting up an online game for a while, but have previously not been quite sure how to approach this effectively. I'd be very much interested in playing the role of a DM.

I have been studying 4e rules and also some 3.5 for several months now on and off but without a group, have not been able to take this much further. However, through reading the new fifth edition playest packet I've become intrigued by starting a group from scratch based on the new and still developing fifth edition rules.
I feel this is a great opportunity for players who have little or no experience yet with D and D to develop some playing experience and also a good opportunity equally for experienced players to come aboard, if they dont mind putting up with a beginner DM and some new players who are still learning the ropes.
We could then see where it leads. Perhaps to an ongoing online campaign hopefully, and this is also a great chance to follow the development of the next D&D edition and be ontop of the mechanics early.

I'm wanting to setup the game using openRPG which is free software to anyone and seems a great tool for running D&D online. I'm currently getting to grips with the software and wanted to express my ideas now so I can concentrate on setting everything up.

If anyone has any questions or would like to express an interest in joining in please let me know.

--Tom

hey tom i am also interseted in getting an online group together with skype , unfortunatley i dont have much experience with dnd but am willing to learn , i work evenings so past 12 is good for me , let me know if you are interested
jake
Hi Jake, cheers for the reply. Yeah I think we could maybe sort something out. I was looking at openRPG and I thought it best to decide against it for now because been a d and d beginner I thought it would be a bit too overwhelming learning two complex systems at the same time so I was looking at google + and found a really simple hangout app that is great for table top gaming. Basically I just open open the hangout in my browser and invite the players to it (you just need a google+ account) It has a chat window which you can roll dice in and a grid that we can place minitures on and I can add any map I want to the grid. It also has video and microphone support so is similar enough to skype in that respect, but I dont have a microphone so I will just use the chat box, so the microphone and video is optional.

I could probably meet after 12, or are there any other days that you might be free on days off in the evenings just to add a bit more flexibility? We could probably use a google calendar to schedule the games. I'm thinking about running a mini campaign to start with using the new fifth edition rules and using an adventure provided with it called "reclaiming blingdenstone" which is built up of about six seperate quests which would each probably take a couple of hours, so I was thinking we could get through these one at a time and meet up maybe once every couple of weeks or once a month depending on schedules so it will be quite light hearted and wont require an overwhelming commitment from anyone.

If you wanna join in let me know and then we can try to get a few more people involved to form a small group and work out convenient meeting times. If you would like to do it then you'll need to make a first level character using the fifth edition rules. They are easy enough to pick up if you know rules from previous editions as they are not hugely different. All the rules and information on creating a fifth edition character are included in the new playtest pack which you can download for free here: www.wizards.com/DnD/DnDNext.aspx (just avoid reading the sample adventures for now incase I wanna use them in the games as you might spoil any surprise if you do ) ;)

If you get a character together you wanna join with then send the information over to me, just PM me and i'll give you an email address.

Also, let me know any ideas you have and anything you think might work better.
Hi Jake, cheers for the reply. Yeah I think we could maybe sort something out. I was looking at openRPG and I thought it best to decide against it for now because been a d and d beginner I thought it would be a bit too overwhelming learning two complex systems at the same time so I was looking at google + and found a really simple hangout app that is great for table top gaming. Basically I just open open the hangout in my browser and invite the players to it (you just need a google+ account) It has a chat window which you can roll dice in and a grid that we can place minitures on and I can add any map I want to the grid. It also has video and microphone support so is similar enough to skype in that respect, but I dont have a microphone so I will just use the chat box, so the microphone and video is optional.

I could probably meet after 12, or are there any other days that you might be free on days off in the evenings just to add a bit more flexibility? We could probably use a google calendar to schedule the games. I'm thinking about running a mini campaign to start with using the new fifth edition rules and using an adventure provided with it called "reclaiming blingdenstone" which is built up of about six seperate quests which would each probably take a couple of hours, so I was thinking we could get through these one at a time and meet up maybe once every couple of weeks or once a month depending on schedules so it will be quite light hearted and wont require an overwhelming commitment from anyone.

If you wanna join in let me know and then we can try to get a few more people involved to form a small group and work out convenient meeting times. If you would like to do it then you'll need to make a first level character using the fifth edition rules. They are easy enough to pick up if you know rules from previous editions as they are not hugely different. All the rules and information on creating a fifth edition character are included in the new playtest pack which you can download for free here: www.wizards.com/DnD/DnDNext.aspx (just avoid reading the sample adventures for now incase I wanna use them in the games as you might spoil any surprise if you do ) ;)

If you get a character together you wanna join with then send the information over to me, just PM me and i'll give you an email address.

Also, let me know any ideas you have and anything you think might work better.

that all seems , good , ill have to get used to 5th ed but i am probably going to have to do that anyway . i work most evenings exept for thursday and sunday , im usually free from 6pm onwards on those days aswell as the odd weekend . my google plus account is jakehackney@hotmail.com . also i was looking over the character creation sheet for 5th ed , there is no bard ,could i still use a bard or must i use the classes given to me in the 5th ed folder
Ever think about using Maptools? It is, by and far, what I've prefered over my term of playing any RPG online.
No but I love the simplicity of the google+ hangouts and you can utilise other things like google drive to share documents.
Well, thats really an alternative to Skype, I ment Maptools over OpenRPG.
hey , my skype is jhackney11 ,by the way i have open rpg installed and it seems to be running fine , i could watch some youtube tutorials , i just think that it may attract more players to join if we use it
Learning to DM and learning to use that would be a bit of a tricky task though, thats my only concern. Wouldnt mind learning if someone else would DM until I have got the hang of it.
i just think for the time bieng we wait and get a few more people onboard before we decide. i have finished reading the how to play pdf , i think for the time bieng i will use one of the pre generated characters or one of the ones u said u had made , are u gonna load them onto google+
also i forgot to ask what timezone are you i  live in uk so its gmt

--Tom

Hi im also trying to find a group to join im a high school student so im available anytime after 3:00 (est) during the week and anytime on the weekends
hey if you guys are still looking for more players i'd be willing to join in. i'm pertty available, i only have things on mon-tues afternoons so any other time oh and i'm MST (-7:00)
I am interested in joining this group, if you need me as a pc.  I am very fluent in 4e and maptools.  
Hello, I am new to D&D and am very interested in your group. I have read 4e (but no other editions) and I have maptools installed.