Anyone else running a "fill in" for the 6 weeks before the next season?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

I asked some players and there was enough interest in a continuation game.  So, the next 6 Wednesdays (12/26, Jan 2, 9, 16, 23, & 30), I'll be running the following at my FLGS, Illusive Comics & Games.

"Chosen of Mystra"
Encounters-style D&D
7-9pm

Continuing the story from the last season of D&D encounters, the heroes must rescue the six vanished daughters of Mystra, so that they may help Her complete the restoration of the Weave. Bring a PC from the last season of encounters, at level 9, or a level 9 Forgotten Realms character if you were not in the previous season. Characters will continue to level up between sessions, with no short or extended rests within a session.  As always, this is a casual game and players are welcome to attend any given session as fits their schedules or whims.  

I'm not that into FR, so I hope I don't mangle the Chosen of Mystra angle too badly... 

Anyone else running anything in the interim? 

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Just gotta say: that sounds like a really cool game!

We're going to run a few weeks of Lair Assault. We're starting with the current adventure "Temple of the Sky God" for a couple of weeks and then we'll move backwards through "Kill the Wizard" and "Spiderkiller." The challenge is that Lair Assault is NOT for new players. However, we're hoping that if we have any walk in traffic they'll see the experienced players having a blast and want to join in when Encounters starts up again in February.

Visit Dungeon's Master.com – The D&D Resource Blog For DMs and Players.
http://dungeonsmaster.com
Follow me on Twitter @ameron_dm

We're planning on a board games evening (probably Last Night on Earth), a 40k evening (army building and skirmishes), a small Dungeon Command tournament, and possibly a card game evening (Munchkin has been suggested).

"Well that encounter was easy....er, guys, why is the DM grinning?" (party members last words)

It's not a party till the screaming starts!

Follow me on Twitter @Vobeskhan or check out my blog http://vobeskhan.wordpress.com/

My players have been itching to do higher level gaming (and spend more than one session at each level), so I'm taking them to Sigil! I'm moding the adventure in DMG2 and really building up the planes of D&D: modrons, devils, cranium rats, and whatever else extraplanar I can throw at them. 

I'm letting the PC level up their PCs from the last season to continue their story: two of the PCs were blessed by Mystara to be demi-gods of certain aspects of magic (wizardy and primal magic), and I want to see that go a bit further. Also, I thought it would be fun to make them small fish in a big pond. If they bring up their impressive deeds, most outsiders will not know the places and people they rescued. "Waterdeep? Is that in the Plane of Water?" ;)  

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

My group will be playing some DND next to get ready for the next season.
AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

We were 2 weeks behind on last season.  "Stuff" got in the way.  The other table at our FLGS finished on time but not ours.  So that takes a couple of weeks.  We also were looking a playing some of the D&D board games as filler.  Might be fun, everyone plays, no DM.  A little break.  

Also maybe a little LFR.  Or maybe so one shot encounters with new DMs.

Not sure we will go with Next for season 12.  One table definitely will, but not sure if both will.  We are pretty happy with 4e.  We have several 13 and under playing and 4e makes it easy for them to feel like they are doing something cool with every turn.

TjD

An East Midlands zombie apocalypse

Having a gap between D&D Encounters seasons we decided to have an evening of playing one of the scenarios for Last Night on Earth (from Flying Frog) as our previous attempt resulted in misreading 80% of the rules.

Over the Christmas period I had played through all of the available scenarios with my brothers-in-law and so chose to run the “We’ve got to go back!” web-scenario. Basically the heroes would have to return to a town overrun by zombies to retrieve a pair of hidden bio cannisters that contained a possible cure for the outbreak. Unfortunately there were also 4 empty canisters and the scientist couldn’t remember which was which.

Arriving at Tabletop Tyrants we had five of us turn up, I decided to be referee and adjudicate rulings and questions for both sides while Glenn, Chris and Tom chose to play the heroes, leaving Tilly in her favourite role of a mindless monster (oops, I meant zombie player).

The heroes started with Billy, Jake, Jenny, and Becky – not a bad mix of characters, but the zombie player soon upset the plans by playing the heavy rains card reducing outdoor movement.

Jenny swiftly made her way towards the police station where a possible canister was hidden, while Jake and Becky seemed to find the barn more interesting, and Billy used his track-star skills to head towards the hospital and another possible canister.

Thanks to several good dice rolls and crafty play of her zombie cards Tilly was able to put the squeeze on all of the heroes and it wasnt long before Billy (having just found the first canister was turned into a zombie-hero (and was replaced quite appropriately by his father Sherrif Anderson), Jake and Becky didn’t last much longer despite having a “This could be our last night” card played on them they too soon joined the ranks of the shambling dead. Tilly needed one more dead hero for a win.

Jenny finally managed to uncover the second canister in the police station as Johnny and Father Joseph reinforced the heroes team. The old priest used his faith to stop the zombie induced rain, taking a wound to do so, but with the race back to the truck looking a risky prospect he thought it was worth it.

Sherrif Anderson was making his way across the town, dropping zombies with precision shots of his service revolver when he stopped in his tracks. Staggering towards him was what used to be his son, Billy. The undead uttered a sound which sounded a little like “Daaaad!” as it approached, arms outstretched for more than a father-son hug. With a tear in his eye the Sherrif blew what little remained of his son’s head off.

Johnny and the priest both mad a move to retrieve the dropped canister in the hospital but were quickly swarmed once again by the undead. Both were wounded but they had to get the cure at all costs. This was when Tilly played her masterstroke, playing the “Unnecessary Self Sacrifice” card and causing one of them to automatically take a wound instead of fighting one of the multitude of zombies sharing their space. The aged priest threw himself in front of the zombie claws, taking the raking intended for the younger man and sealing the heroes fate as he began turning into another of the zombie horde and hungering for the taste of human flesh!

The players agreed that although the heroes had failed it had been down to bad dice rolls and Tilly’s uncanny knack for getting the right card at the right time. Unfortunately time didn’t permit us to run another scenario as we were at the mercy of public transport and the horrible cold weather but when the opportunity arises I’m sure the zombie hordes shall return.

Initial setup

Initial setup

The heroes return to town

The heroes return to town

Discussing tactics

Discussing tactics

What is so interesting in that barn?

What is so interesting in that barn?

Jenny recovers one of the canisters

Jenny recovers one of the canisters

“Daaad!”

Father Joseph and Johnny go for the dropped canister

Father Joseph and Johnny go for the dropped canister

The priest joins the ranks of the undead

The priest joins the ranks of the undead

Glenn, Tom and Chris join the ranks of the zombie horde

Glenn, Tom and Chris join the ranks of the zombie horde

"Well that encounter was easy....er, guys, why is the DM grinning?" (party members last words)

It's not a party till the screaming starts!

Follow me on Twitter @Vobeskhan or check out my blog http://vobeskhan.wordpress.com/