Coolest reskinned race/class combos you have or can come up with in 4e?

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dm`s reskin monsters all the time to make them fit in their campaign and the story they are telling. But some players like to reskin characters too! Many players come up with a fun character concept first, then find out what mechanics they can build that concept on, what class/race combo that fits best for reskinning and some new flavour.
Let`s say you want to paly a smart owlbear with a west and glasses(and your dm lets you), maby a dwarf or goliath fits best(?), and maby your dm would even let you be large instead of medium Or maby you want something simple like a bareknuckled, drunken barfighter, a monk might be perfect for that!

Have you had any cool reskin ideas for a race or class or combos of the two, to make unique and cool character?
Dm`s reskin monsters all the time to make them fit in their campaign and the story they are telling. But some players like to reskin characters too! Many players come up with a fun character concept first, then find out what mechanics they can build that concept on, what class/race combo that fits best for reskinning and some new flavour.
Let`s say you want to paly a smart owlbear with a west and glasses(and your dm lets you), maby a dwarf or goliath fits best(?), and maby your dm would even let you be large instead of medium Or maby you want something simple like a bareknuckled, drunken barfighter, a monk might be perfect for that!

Have you had any cool reskin ideas for a race or class or combos of the two, to make unique and cool character?

To be honest I've never been a fan of re skinning or houserules. I find that if I can't play the game for what its worth without putting my own rules/classes/races in the game isn't worth buying at all.

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

Games I Play:

D&D 4e - D&D 3.0  - Pathfinder - AD&D 2e - Call of Cthulhu - Legend of the Five Rings - 13th Age - World of Darkness - PTU - D&D B/X

Whatever It is a game, so if you are having fun, you are doing it right!

However, I mostly see the rules as suggestions. In previous books they even talked about houserules or how to change up the rules or making your own.

However, I mostly see the rules as suggestions. In previous books they even talked about houserules or how to change up the rules or making your own.

I understand that but why pay for a game if you have to change it so much...

But back to the original question.

Though I've never re skinned I did have a few character concepts I thought were cool.
For instance:

A necromancer that never talks (or is mute) has a raven familiar that does all the talking for him since they have a telepathic link. It seems like a weak concept but it could ad a whole new level of roleplaying and add a veil of mystery to the character.

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

Games I Play:

D&D 4e - D&D 3.0  - Pathfinder - AD&D 2e - Call of Cthulhu - Legend of the Five Rings - 13th Age - World of Darkness - PTU - D&D B/X

I understand that but why pay for a game if you have to change it so much...

But back to the original question.

Though I've never re skinned I did have a few character concepts I thought were cool.
For instance:

A necromancer that never talks (or is mute) has a raven familiar that does all the talking for him since they have a telepathic link. It seems like a weak concept but it could ad a whole new level of roleplaying and add a veil of mystery to the character.

You are paying for a game that alows adjustments and a lot of freedom, with few restrictions! You are paying for a game where the story and flavour are more important than the mechanics and crunch! A game that incourages creativity!
You don`t have to change anything at all, but you can if you`d like, to me, that`s a bonus! We should pay extra:p
I`m not talking about changing the mechanics of the game, just the flavour and only if you think it`s fun!

Cool concept, sounds really fun! 
I've never been a fan of re skinning or houserules.

I too dislike house rules, but 4e's established paradigm of refluffing powers (without changing the underlying rules) can actually reduce the need for house rules.

For the OP, some of my favorite reskins have included:
- Refluffing a Warlord as a bard (no longer need after the Bard was published)
- Same thing for refluffing a TWF'ing ranger as a monk
- In 3.5 a PC wizard cast a maximized awaken on his raven familiar (to see if if it resulted in high stats). The raven later died and was reincarnated as a (regularly stat'd) Elf PC.
- A gnomish artificer used the mount rules to simulate a powered exoskeleton.

I refluffed a Paladin as a bareknuckle brawler similar to the pikey from Snatch.  His hands functioned like a Mordenkraad and I renamed each of his powers (Heedless Fury for instance was called 'Brick on a String' whereas Fortune Spurned Smite became 'Daddy's Home').

I had a lot of fun with that guy. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
I once re-skinned every race in the game (except for Dragonborn, Tieflings, Warforged, Wilden, and Shardminds) into some manner of anthropomorphic animal.

A non-performing bard; he was just a magician who knew how to swing a sword.  His Skald's Aura was 'Healing Circle', and so forth.

A monk who was just a bare-knuckle brawler, no mystical stuff.

One could possibly argue that my one druid was 'reflavored', as he did not revere or commune with nature, he commanded it.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
House rules and refluffing are two entirely different things.  House rules in my eyes change the mechanics.  Re-skinning or refluffing is just applying the same mechanics with a slightly different description.

A good example of re-skinning/re-fluffing is an idea I came up with a while ago while I was bored refluffing drow.

Most of us probably know that in the elf lore, there was a great war between the light elves (eladrin and elves) and the dark elves (drow).  There are also the Dusk Elves, who were light elves that did not fight.

In my re-skinning, I came up with Frost Elves...decended from elves who chose not to fight, and fled to the elemental planes, settling in the frozen regions.  There, they gained mastery over snow, and cold, and adapted.  Mechanically they are drow.  no more, no less.  Instead of darkness though, they summon a swirling cloud of snow to blind their enemies, or they can summon aurora fire to highlight them.  Instead of being ebony, they are ivory, with white hair.

Instead of being evil, they get to choose.

What's the harm?  If you want the mechanics of a drow, but not the hassle of being ragged on for being a drizzt clone, refluff to suit your needs.  Since you are mechanically identical to a drow, you gain nothing, you're not chaging the rules, you're only changing how you get to imagine your character, and in a game like this...that opportunity is priceless.
I think I had the most fun with a barbarian refluffed into a Samurai/Shugenja.  His rages were fluffed as summoning kami to aid him on the battlefield.  One of the other players took it to the next level, though.  He played a drow swarm druid that was refluffed as a rowdy swarm of pixies and grigs.  The difference between his "beast" and "human" forms were whether the company was in formation or running wild.  Darkfire was fluffed as the littlest grig cliging to the enemies' back and playing his fiddle.  It was all kinds of fun.
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.
As a general example of my creation ritual I hunt for an image, a picture or something to draw inspiration from, then recreate the inspiration in mechanical form as a character for DnD or other systems that I play like Shadowrun.  When I get home, I'll show a few examples along with the image that gave the inspiration if forum-goers are interested.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Well, everybody gets to do that, regardless of species.

Everyone but women...
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
This is a example of reskin/reflavor on 4e, thought it isn't mine, but someone else's

It was a dragonborn barbarian...but he had no flavor from barbarian, it was more like a mafia gangster, he is quite smart and charismatic (16 INT & 16 STR at level 7), he was highly sociable and knew how to move around the cities, also a very scary person when he get angry...the RAGE's flavor were reskinned to psychosis moments of this sociopathic character... 

Everyone but women...

In a traditional drow society in the vanilla dnd setting, drow women are evil tyrants, but as a pc you should still be able to choose!
In my personal opinion, player characters shouldn`t have alignement, it restricts roleplaying. Houserule #1: no alignment.

As for races in the gameworld, I reflavour everyone of them that isn`t very generic, to fit them into my homebrew setting. For example, dragonborn are decendants from the dwarf clan, the Dragonkillers, while deva are fallen angels of dead gods and goliaths are halfgiants, a halfling mountain tribe that was changed by primal magic a long time ago..
As a general example of my creation ritual I hunt for an image, a picture or something to draw inspiration from, then recreate the inspiration in mechanical form as a character for DnD or other systems that I play like Shadowrun.  When I get home, I'll show a few examples along with the image that gave the inspiration if forum-goers are interested.

I`m interested.

There have been a couple of pixie vampire builds (usually referred to as "mosquito" builds) posted on the forums that have been refluffed as both a Metroid and a stirge.

I have a shape-shifting Fey crow spirit from the Feywild who worships the Raven Queen - he saw her flying through the Feywild one day, fell instantly in lust and chased after her, hitting on her. She led him on a merry chase for miles and left him stranded in the material world. He spends most of his time in combat as a crow, whirling about his opponents and slashing them with his claws. Out of combat, he sits on the shoulder of the party's spellcasters, pretending to be a familiar. He shares much of the same personality traits and habits of a crow: he's loud, raucous, intensely curious, greedy, sarcastic...and occasionally likes to snack on dead things.
( Oh, and hes a pixie predacharger druid. Pixies can fly and are Tiny and druids can wildshape into animals of their own size. Thus I have a druid who can change into an actual flying bird without blowing a utility power to do so. And being able to charge in three dimensions (and through opponents' spaces) offers a number of interesting tactical possibilities.)

I've also seen a couple of swarm druids who were fluffed as being sentient swarms of bugs. One particularly interesting one was a magitech swarm of nanites who arranged themselves into the forms of other creatures (changeling racial ability)...

In 3.5 I had a warforged druid who was refluffed as a genius loci - a swamp that had been the site of so many battles over the ages that it had absorbed the life energy of those who'd died there and gained sentience. Tired of being despoiled by humans, it grew a tree up through the remains of a suit of armor, magically animating it by imbuing it with a spark of its vitality. The now sentient plant-man armed itself from the multitude of ancient gear buried in its soil and set out to wreak vengeance on the orc horde that had been the latest vermin to defile it.

Ever read the Micronauts comics? The character of Bug is perfect for a 4E thri-kreen monk - the guy's all about bouncing around in combat and his main weapon is a blast-staff that shoots beams of energy.

One of my warlocks, Harrow, is his own pact patron... One day, in a bad mood, he ATE a Tinkerbelle-style fairy who had the misfortune of asking him what was wrong - just grabbed her out of the air and stuffed her in his mouth. Being immortal, the now-digested fairy reformed as a sort of symbiotic second central nervous system inside of him, and her now-mind-rippingly-insane consciousness currently shares his headspace. He often argues with himself in two different voices at once and sometimes falls to the ground twitching and foaming at the mouth as they fight for control of his body. His physical body keeps her consciousness from dissipating and her magic fuels his Fey pact powers. A number of his powers are occasionally refluffed as the green glowing image of the fairy coming out of his body and doing things.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

A lot of cool and creative concepts! Keep them coming!
Ah, yes, almost forgot.

Rogue-Fey Pact Warlock Hybrid=Ninja.
I once let a PC refluff the artificer into a witch doctor / necromancer type class. It worked REALLY well. The summon construct daily powers turned into zombies, ghouls, liches, and vampires....a lot of the implement powers pretty much straight up worked as hexes after we changed the damage types around, and the whole "Pssst I need healing surges to replenish my potions!" thing worked even better as a witch doctor than it ever did as an artificer!

Did a similar thing recently with someone who forgot Heroes of Shadow and couldn't play her Blackguard. We just reskinned a Slayer to be one and she had a blast. Throw in some necrotic damage on her powerstrike and voila it worked out fine.
Khyber is a dark and dangerous place, full of flame and smoke, where ever stranger things lie dormant.
I've reskinned a pixie sorcerer into an imp was a lot of fun. Next planning to do a tiefling into a cleric/avenger succubuss seeking redemption
I played a cool Warforged Fighter reflavored as an Iron Defender:

I also played an awesome Dwarf Warden reflavored as a Treant:

And did a Kobold Monk reflavored as a hunting dog that was unusual:

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Refluff any race as different types of Anime Furries. (Dwarves became Badgers, Gnomes were moles, Elves and Eladring were different birds, Wilden were cats or wolves, Half-elves and Warforged were open to a wide variety. Humans could be anything. Dragonborn were skunks or other mustilids. Goliaths were bears. nothing else came up, but there were possibilities. Oh, goblins were different insects or whatever).

One player refluffed an Infernal Warlock as a witchdoctor priest. Was funny during fights when she got into religious debates with the goblin witchdoctors about the true doctrine of the Firey Daughter.

One good one I heard about was the dragonborn wizard who was more dragon. He spat his breathweapon constantly instead of casting spells. Sure, he was really casting thunderwave, but it came out of his mouth instead of gesturing with his staff. And he did carry a walking stick and a glowing crystal, which somehow made is "breath" more effective except when he was actually using his dragonbreath.
my favourite refluff was a sandsoul genasi swarm druid for darksun, in wildshape he became a living sand storm and all powers were refluffed as such to fit the theme.
I've reflavoured a Pixie Bard into a Grippli hunter and herbalist, for an adventure where one of my characters was turned to stone shortly after we met a Grippli tribe.

It's also easy to reflavour warforged into robots - recently I played a character who was essentially Bender.

As another one, I had a character die after getting a pet owlbear.  Instead of dying, I had her consciousness wind up being transferred into that of the owlbear.  Mechanically, it was a Bugbear Fighter/Barbarian hybrid (with hybrid talent for Brawler) with feral hide armorand some spiked gauntlets.
DM advice: 1. Do a Session Zero. 2. Start With Action. 3. Always say "Yes" to player ideas. 4. Don't build railroads. 5. Make success, failure, and middling rolls interesting. Player advice: 1. Don't be a dick. 2. Build off each other, don't block each other. 3. You're supposed to be a badass. Act like it. Take risks. My poorly updated blog: http://engineeredfun.wordpress.com/

I frequently make a seperation between the mechanical type of a power, like cold or thunder for the mechanical limitation, and then the rp of what power I am actually using. Reskinning the type in rp lets my wizard make sense more in my opinion in that he has a specialization or area of study. 

I love bards mechanically, and many of their powers work well in rp for fear. I have a warlock|bard who in rp is in conflict over his desire for power and his religious obligation to the Raven Queen to remain humble. He is also a shade, as a human he peformed the ritual to exhange part of his soul for shadow powers. I took infernal pact mechanically, but I had him make a pact with the Raven Queen instead of a devil. 

I thought about just skinning him to fight without holding an object, but instead I went ahead and took the theme that got him Ki focus. 

So traditionally he would be singing to bolster everyone's morale, and taunting foes, then cursing them. Instead I have him  calling on power directly from the Shadowfell essence that he traded his soul for. Both those classes have high Cha typically, so the intimidate makes sense mechanically. 

I imagine that it is common for a bard to be reskinned, though they are appealing in their intended rp.  

Concisely: I want a system where players don't have to pick between mechanics and roleplaying. I hope 5E fails asap so a better system can be made asap.

( I can't believe what they did to the forums. The sterile lack or color is rather depressing. )

After we saw Clash of the Titans a few years back, my buddy starting playing a Djinn, one of those desert sorcerers from the movie (the fellas with the blue fire powers).  His PC was a reflavored genasi firesoul with an extra earthsoul manifestation (for the burned wooden skin I s'pose).

In another game, a buddy played a Rakshasa, a reflavored changling (a wizard o' course ;)).  'Changeling disguise' became 'deceptive veil' and 'changeling trick' became 'rakshasa misdirection'.
/\ Art
At Clockwork Alchemy last year, a "Girl Genius d20" game was re-fluffed 4e with:

A spark with a flame-thrower-like invention was a Fire-using Dragon-Sorcerer.
A Jekyl/Hyde spark was a Druid, with the wildshape providing the Hyde.
A hypnotist spark was a Wizard(Mage) Illusionist
A spark with a talent for making weapons for her allies was an artificer.
A 'Smoke Knight' was a re-skinned elf rogue.
and the Jaegermonster was a half-orc brawling fighter.

Want to see the best of 4e included in 5e?  Join the Old Guard of 4e.

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"You want The Tooth?  You can't handle The Tooth!"  - Dahlver-Nar.

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

I am currently using a Swarm Druid character as a Lamia that is a Warlock serving Glasya.

The very first 4e campaign I ran relied on intensive refluffing.  We decided to run a game based a series of paranormal (ahem... paranormal romance, ok?) novels most of the group had read.

So, as soon as I bought the PHB, we were working on a game set in modern day New Orleans (of course NOLA, because that's where everything supernatural comes from) with immortal characters.  Wee!

The races changed a bit as new stuff came out and we figured out things, but from my last races write-up I'd created:
Valkyrie (Tiefling w/lighting theme instead of fire)
Lykae (Shifter.  Werewolves)
Vampire (Eladrin + Vampiric Heritage.  This was before all the vampire stuff came out)
Changeling (Changeling)
Witch (Human + Extra Power based on class)
Noble Fey (Elf)
Dryad (Wilden.  This was before the Hamadryad came out)
Phantom (Revenant)
Furiae (Deva)
Demon (Dragonborn.  Racial power keyword determines demon type: acid (Grey), cold (Rage), fire (Fire), lightning (Storm) or poison (Smoke))
Elemental Fey (Genasi)
Vrekener (Shardmind.  These are tall, multi-horned angels)
Gnome (Gnome)
Halfling (Half-elf or Half-orc, depending on parentage.  Not necessarily short, sneaky humanoids)

In 'normal' 4e, I've refluffed a shifter into a liontaur, a half-elf into a half-(dusk) elf/half-drow, a kalashtar invoker as a mind-flayer, a goblin who was mechanically a halfling (DM didn't care about fluff but wanted pure PHB1' someone else played a kobold who was mechanically a halfling.  Those two had a lot of fun messing with the pretty elves in the party [one was only half-elf... what a shame, to be only half-perfect, as she was reminded often.  Never did note which half was which...])

There's so many more, but that's what I have off the top of my head.

My favorite is creating totally new player races from monsters. I made a wight cleric, a deathknight fighter, my friend made an ooze wizard, and another friend made a Slaad fighter. We worked with our DM to make all of the racial powers, feats, and ability bonuses for each.