DLCR: Sphinx's Revelation

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays other RtR card to rate is...

Sphinx's Revelation

Show

5.0: First pick no matter what.  I will always play this card.
4.5: Splashable and first pick worthy.
4.0: First pick pack 1.
3.5: Early pick though not always a first pick.
3.0: Solid early/mid pick.
2.5: Solid pick in color.
2.0: Should generally make the deck if in this color.
1.5: Decent filler.
1.0: 23rd card if you have to.
0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in.
0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding).

This card is awesome!  I consider it a bomb.  I mean if you are playing blue you will easily splash the white.  And if you're playing white you'll try and find a way to splash the blue if you can.

Discuss! 

It can buy you time and put you in a good position to win the game, but it doesn't actually win the game for you.  
4.5 without reservation.
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
Todays other RtR card to rate is...

Sphinx's Revelation

Show

5.0: First pick no matter what.  I will always play this card.
4.5: Splashable and first pick worthy.
4.0: First pick pack 1.
3.5: Early pick though not always a first pick.
3.0: Solid early/mid pick.
2.5: Solid pick in color.
2.0: Should generally make the deck if in this color.
1.5: Decent filler.
1.0: 23rd card if you have to.
0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in.
0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding).

This card is awesome!  I consider it a bomb.  I mean if you are playing blue you will easily splash the white.  And if you're playing white you'll try and find a way to splash the blue if you can.

Discuss! 

I'm going to rate him a lot lower.. probably a 3-3.5. I'd first pick him for value but..

For <5 mana  he's not worth casting and pretty embarassing.
For 5 mana, he is an Inspiration with +2 life that's harder to cast. Underwhelming.
For 6 mana, he arguable is the most value, giving 3 cards and 3 life. You're skipping a turn though, which at 6 mana will either mean more damage (opponent has control, 3 life won't be enough), or less (you control the board). Lifegain here is just a small bonus. Compare it to Thoughtflare which draws 1 more card for 1 less mana. 
For 7+ mana, I'd rather have something else in my deck.

I would still be more than happy to have this in my deck, but I don't think he fits in every deck and don't consider him a bomb either. When I'm at 7+ mana I generally want the game to be over or have a way to end it then and there. This is not the thing I want to top out my curve.

Now I know that if you manage to refill your hand with this guy on a stalled board, it's obviously going to be great at refilling your hand. But he is nowhere near the powerlevel of some of the 4.0 and 4.5 cards in the set. I would much rather see a Mercurial Chemister for example than this. Would take some guildmages over him too. He just doesn't do anything by himself.
You guys seem to be rating this quite high, when you need to treat this as at least a six drop when you curve out your deck and it requires WUU besides. I would place it in the 3.5-4.0 range. Definitely not 4.5, that's Mercurial Chemister territory.
I'd splash the White part and I can think of only a single uncommon I would consider taking over this. 4.5 is probably right.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I'd splash the White part and I can think of only a single uncommon I would consider taking over this. 4.5 is probably right.

If value were out of the equation the only uncommon I would take over this is the G/W guildmage as it wins too many games for me to ever pass.

bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
I would say 4. I've had this played against me several times. It never mattered then, but it clearly has the potential to change the game.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

If value were out of the equation the only uncommon I would take over this is the G/W guildmage as it wins too many games for me to ever pass.

That was the uncommon to which I was referring. Though perhaps Rix Maadi might make it, too.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Sign In to post comments