Question about spacing in relation to flying

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I just want to verify that when counting squares you can go diagonally up or down when flying. So if a creature is 3 squares down and 3 over we could go diagonally 3 and the creature would be considered only 3 squares away. Also how does this work for blasts/bursts. If it is a burst 5 and I am on a wall that is 4 high and then 1 in am I still going to get hit. I see the burst as a bubble squares 5x5 in all direction including up and down. Is this the case?
While flying, a creature can move diagonally at no additional cost.

RC 210 Moving Up and Down: While flying, a creature can move straight up, straight down, or diagonally up or down. There is no additional cost for moving up or down.

From the forum FAQ, if desired:
"How do area effects function in a 3-D environment? Since vertical distances are measured the same as horizontal distances, they take on a cube shape. Discussed in the 5/10/10 podcast."

"What area do creatures occupy in a 3-D environment? A cube. RC p.200 says "A creature's space is the area, measured in squares, that the creature  occupies on the battle grid. This area represents the three-dimensional space that the creature needs to take part in an encounter, allowing it to turn around attack, fall prone, and so on. Despite the cubic shape of its space, a creature is not actually a cube (unless it's a gelatinous cube)".  Also, the 5/10/10 podcast states that medium (and small) characters occupy a 5'x5'x5' square regardless of their actual height"
I just want to verify that when counting squares you can go diagonally up or down when flying. So if a creature is 3 squares down and 3 over we could go diagonally 3 and the creature would be considered only 3 squares away. Also how does this work for blasts/bursts. If it is a burst 5 and I am on a wall that is 4 high and then 1 in am I still going to get hit. I see the burst as a bubble squares 5x5 in all direction including up and down. Is this the case?

The space-filling capabilities of bursts and blasts all behave normally in 3D, use the same rules for 2D space-filling.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Sign In to post comments