Boonproof

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
We have the (IMO broken mechanic) Shroud for all spells
We have Hexproof for spells your opponents control
How 'bout we add Boonproof for spells a creature's controller and his allies control?

Since Shroud and Hexproof are green-white-blue, I propose that Boonproof be red-black (Mostly because those are the enemies of the three colors I listed). 

Boonproof would be priced similarly to Shroud and Hexproof: : for one creature (Alexi's Cloak), for one player or all creatures that player controls (Asceticism, Privileged Position

Examples:
Cage of Fire
Enchanment-Aura
Enchant creature
Enchant creature gets -2/-2 and has boonproof (It can't be the target of spells or abilities its controllor or his/her allies control)

River of Blood
Enchantment-Curse
All permanants target player controls have boonproof. 
It's not a bad idea, but I would definitely not want to see it as a mechanic.

The issue is that black and red are particularly good at killing creatures, so wasting a card to have them stay but stop the ocassional Equipment is a lot worse than just playing a removal spell.

By the way, when I first read the idea, I thought you were going to make creatures that can't be the target of their controllers' spells and abilities (and, so, were a bit undercosted). 
I like it -- I designed a card with it once, but called the keyword Blessproof.

I agree with Umbreon; I'm not very certain of the utility of it when used offensively.  It's pretty narrow.  Any keyword like it could honestly probably be shared around the whole pie; placed on a permanents as a drawback to lower their CMC or allow for other beneficial abilities.

For instance, Black has a tradition of large 4 CMC demons with drawbacks.  I could easily see this as another in the series.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
It's not a bad idea, but I would definitely not want to see it as a mechanic.

The issue is that black and red are particularly good at killing creatures, so wasting a card to have them stay but stop the ocassional Equipment is a lot worse than just playing a removal spell.

By the way, when I first read the idea, I thought you were going to make creatures that can't be the target of their controllers' spells and abilities (and, so, were a bit undercosted). 

Here we go with the "Boonproof as hinderance" for a character

Lost Goblin
Boonproof
5/4

In regard to cursing a creature or player, I think it'd be pretty useful to curse a player...For 5, he couldn't give himself any abilities or use any spells on himself?
Wow, take it easy. I think boonproof is less of a drawback than "~ can't block." Ashenmoor Gouger, Shambling Remains, etc. are good cards. A monored Woolly Thoctar (because, seriously, how many times do you target in an aggresive deck?) is just insane.
Seriously, how many times do you target in an aggresive deck?

If a creature has boonproof, that means:

• Another spell or ability can't give it +1/+1 counters

• Another spell or ability can't give a pump-up of any kind

• Another spell or ability can't give it additional abilities of any kind

• It can't be enchanted or equipped by its controller

• In can't be targeted by a spell or ability that includes tapping creatures as a cost

So, more than you think.  It could be a major hindrance on a deck that's built on tribal or stacking abilities
Since the creature doesn't spontaneously gain boonproof, you're obviously not going to put the creature in your deck if you have many Sword of Body and Mind or Travel Preparations. You'd avoid targeting with cards like Rally the Peasants and Goblin Warchief, if you ever need the abilities.

Most of the time, especially with creatures this good, you don't ever need anything beyond casting them and attacking with them. Take any aggro list you want and you won't find many anyway, which is way it's less of a downside than it seems. (As I said, it's probably less relevant than "can't block" or "enters tapped".)
Maybe also make it easier for its controller's opponents to target it?

Damned Thoctar

Hexed (this creature cannot be targeted by spells or abilities controlled by its controller or his or her allies. Spells its opponents control that target it cost less to cast)

5/4

Wet, but I don't like the creatures. I would prefer it on enchantments and instants.

Like, instant "Target creature gains boonproof until EoT", although Boonproof? Names can be hard - I understand.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Don't make drawback mechanics.
Don't make drawback mechanics.

Especially ones named after extant cycles.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt