Human Taclord w/Greatbow Build Suggestions and Advice

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi! I could use a critique of my build which is obviously heavy on campaign-specific flavour for role-playing. I've been playing this character for over 2 years now and really enjoying it. Bucephalas is young, headstrong and morally righteous. He's inspired by many Greek military leaders in classical antiquity. He's a Warrior, a Scholar and a Diplomat.

Buc does everything pretty well, but I'm feeling a mile wide and an inch deep. He has a really great party (Warforged Hybrid Artificer/Wizard, Half-Elf Bear Shaman, Goliath Warden and Dragonborn Frost Sorceror) but they tend to be on the low-side of damage. Buc tends to be Leader focusing on buffing ARs and DRs (I spam Paint the Bullseye) and Healing, but also doubles as a sometimes-Ranged sometimes-Charging Striker. The general goal in the build has been to enable others, by being versatile enough to be in the back, middle or frontline.

So what do you think? Any suggestion for where I should be going and ways I could be taking better advantage of this class? I've nearly hit 14 and was thinking of taking Wintertouched to take advantage of my Frost-cheesing Striker in the party. Again, I could really use suggestions for items. Thanks!

Bucephalas, level 13
Show
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Bucephalas, level 13
Human, Warlord (Marshal), Battle Captain
Warlord Option: Combat Leader
Commanding Presence Option: Tactical Presence
Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort
Human - Ancestral Holdings (+2 to Diplomacy)
Theme: Cipher

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 17, CON 11, DEX 11, INT 23, WIS 9, CHA 12

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 14, CON 10, DEX 10, INT 18, WIS 8, CHA 11

AC: 27 Fort: 23 Ref: 27 Will: 20
HP: 83 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 20

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +15, Diplomacy +14, Endurance +10, History +17, Intimidate +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +7, Arcana +12, Bluff +7, Dungeoneering +5, Heal +5, Insight +5, Nature +7, Perception +8, Religion +12, Stealth +5, Streetwise +7, Thievery +5

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort
Warlord Feature: Inspiring Word
Warlord Attack 1: Direct the Strike
Warlord Attack 1: Relentless Wounding
Warlord Attack 1: Paint the Bulls-Eye
Warlord Attack 1: Warlord's Favor
Warlord Utility 2: Adaptive Stratagem
Warlord Attack 3: Martial Doom
Warlord Attack 5: Stand the Fallen
Warlord Utility 6: Reorient the Axis
Warlord Attack 9: Tactical Withdrawal
Warlord Utility 10: Tactical Orders
Battle Captain Attack 11: Force Retreat
Battle Captain Utility 12: Bolt of Genius
Warlord Attack 13: Headstrong Bravery

FEATS
Level 1: Improved Tactics
Level 1: Master at Arms
Level 2: Tactical Assault
Level 4: Weapon Proficiency (Greatbow)
Level 6: Mark of Healing
Level 8: Superior Reflexes
Level 10: Harrowing Swarm Student
Level 11: Tactician's Word
Level 12: Combat Commander

ITEMS
Arrows
Adventurer's Kit
Heavy Shield
Onslaught Arrow +1
Freezing Arrow +1
Bracers of the Perfect Shot (heroic tier) x1
Lightning Arrow +1
Surprise Bullet +1
Duelist's Bow Greatbow +1 x1
Boots of Equilibrium x1
Giant Gloves x1
Spear of Urrok the Brave
Amulet of Protection +1 x1
Pouncing Hide Armor +2 x1
Helm of the Eagle x1
General's Belt x1
====== End ======
The reason I'm asking is mostly because the I decided to start a new Avenger, and the Wiki and build examples are SO tight and efficient. The Warlord Handbook is a great resource, but just not as clear as some of the ther resources out there for optimization.
A 17 STR at level 13 is pretty darn low. If there's any way you can rearrange stats, I'd start there.  That or stop shooting your bow and use Direct the Strike on the Sorcerer (or maybe Warden sometimes).

You also should have a +3 weapon by now unless you're using the Inherent Bonus system. A big part of optimization is just ensuring you'll hit, although warlords can get around that by just telling other people to attack.
Grab a trident or a javelin, either has good Greek flavor.  Combine with a shield.  Now you have a ranged option for Paint the Bull's Eye, and can step into melee too, with decent AC.

Why is your Strength lower than your Intelligence?  For a Warlord who attacks, Strength should be primary.

Now that you have Combat Commander, I would say swap Improved Tactics for something else.  You can find a better use for a feat.  Perhaps Improved Defenses?

Harrowing Swarm Student is not a good investment on a feat.  You could put it to much better use.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
The reason I'm asking is mostly because the I decided to start a new Avenger, and the Wiki and build examples are SO tight and efficient. The Warlord Handbook is a great resource, but just not as clear as some of the ther resources out there for optimization.

Get to it Zelink!
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein

Get to it Zelink!

Woah, someone just got called out.

**hears the twang-and-slap of a glove getting removed and meeting a cheek at high velocity** 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
1. Why "waste" a proficiancy on Greatbow if you're not going to have an attack stat that actually lets you HIT with it?
2. Why Tactical? Is their attack bonus low also? I love TacLords, but  if damage is your issue with accurate attackers, Resourceful has a lot to offer (though you have no real multi-attackers to really buff). 

As Scatterbrained said, see if you can re-do your stats or retrain to full Lazy and get that feat back for something useful. In that group, you are potentially the second-best damage dealer. If you can re-do your stats, go full Bow and pair with the Sorcerer to blow stuff up.  The Warden and Spirit Companion are hopefully enough to hold down the front line. Have a sword on the side in case of emergency. Either that or go full melee and get down & dirty with the Warden. Versatile is cool, but your attack stat sucks for ANY self-made attacks. 
Thanks everyone, this is already super helpful. Great suggestions Maltese. Scatterbraind, I didn't even know about Inherent Bonus! That's interesting. We're already playing a somewhat low-megic (more like mid-magic) campaign. I'll run that by the DM, or introduce it when it's my turn to DM again. Thanks for the suggestions.

Gunthar:
It's exactly the reasons you point out - Buc tends to be the second-best damage-dealer, so I thought a d12 would be better for me at range. I was using Risky Shot for a long time because of it, until I realised how much better Paint is overall. Because my group is more interested in roleplaying than optimization (we tend to roleplay to stats, ie. Buc is intelligent, but young and un-wise), they tend to have low attack bonuses - which is also why I've jacked the INT. We're very homebrew with items too (ie. a variation on the Standard of Eternal Battle that gives a general +1AR in a zone, we've had this since Heroic and was OP at the time). We've also developed general tactics around APs, but I think it's just been my intuition to chase buffing the attack roll.

I guess I'm just trying to do too much, and if I'm going to go full Lazy, I should be getting the party to look hard at optimization too.
Scatterbraind, I didn't even know about Inherent Bonus! That's interesting. We're already playing a somewhat low-megic (more like mid-magic) campaign. I'll run that by the DM, or introduce it when it's my turn to DM again.

You definitely should do something then. The game math expects you to have magic items appropriate to your level. To put it in clear and simple terms, point out to your DM that over any given 10 levels, monsters naturally gain +10 to attacks and defenses, but PCs only gain +5. Increasing enhancement bonuses contribute +2 more, with the remainder coming from stat increases (or masterwork for heavy armor), and expertise.

The Inherent Bonus system just gives you automatic enhancement bonuses at certain levels.  These don't stack with magic item bonuses, so it can still work fine in a "mid-magic" game. It just covers the holes and keeps the party on track.
The Inherent Bonus system just gives you automatic enhancement bonuses at certain levels.  These don't stack with magic item bonuses, so it can still work fine in a "mid-magic" game. It just covers the holes and keeps the party on track.

Thanks for this, really clear and helpful!
Ah, the fallacy of "roleplaying to stats".

a: Not having a decent attack stat is bad roleplaying. You character would choose his profession because that's what he's really good at. PCs are a "cut above" the other schmoe walking around.

b: Remember the stat breakdown from all the way back in OD&D. 9-11 is average human. Someone with a 15-16 intelligence is brilliant, strength a college ->professional athlete, etc. Anyone with a stat at least that high is going to be bright enough to figure out they should play to their considerable strengths.

c: Starting with a pre-racial 18 in a non-attack stat is universally dumb if your character actually needs to make attack rolls. As a Warlord who's not a full lazy build, you need to actually hit to make things happen. Not only are you not contributing to party damage yourself, but your Paint The Bullseye buffs don't happen either, for example.

IOW: Swapping INT/STR doesn't mean you have to role play your character any differently, it just makes your character make more logical sense and not be a drain in combat. You can get by with a 16 attack stat at level 1 if you have things to mitigate it, like a mix of proper level magic items as you go, expertise, +3 proficiency wepaon, class boosts, etc. You have a +2 proficiency, not even a 16 and are behind in magic item enchantment.

IOOW: THIS is bad roleplaying because this guy would never have become a credible attacking Warlord:

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 14, CON 10, DEX 10, INT 18, WIS 8, CHA 11

THIS, on the other hand, would allow you to play the character the way you describe AND be a credible candidate to do your job. 

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16 (18), CON 11, DEX 10, INT 16, WIS 8, CHA 13

Or, IOOOW: your current stat array turns Death From Two Sides in to Direct the Strike.
Wow. I see what you mean, by next level I'll only ostensibly lose 1 on my INT mod and have an additional 3 on STR. This makes way more sense. It's something the Party has ragged on me for - how I just don't hit and belong back in the town library working on the Agricultural Almanac. With a decent weapon I'll be closer to +20s on my attack rolls and feel more like a warrior than before.

I've seen it recommended to prof Superior Crossbow - but going down to d10s doesn't seem worth the additional prof (it's +3 instead of Gbow +2).

I see how I should work on better use of feats to buff around Inspiring Word now too.

---Just as an aside, can I say how respectable, helpful and nice everyone here is? Really appreciate that guys.

I've seen it recommended to prof Superior Crossbow - but going down to d10s doesn't seem worth the additional prof (it's +3 instead of Gbow +2).

Accuracy always wins.  If you can't hit, you can't deal damage or trigger your buffs.  Get the superior xbow and tell your DM that Reload Minor is stupid.  Or get a Swiftshot(?) weapon. 

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

Harrowing Swarm Student is not a good investment on a feat.  You could put it to much better use.

I figure since I'm trained in Intimidate, the -2 debuff on my main at-will (which buffs INT mod damage) would be worth it. But should I be giving this up as my bread and butter attack?
The Harrowing Swarm feats are nice, Paint The Bull's Eye is your bread & butter early on and not provoking from your target later is a nice benefit if you want to go up close (or get locked down). But that's two feats (Student and Captain)

There's also the Speed Loader feat for the crossbow users, making Superior Crossbow cost two feats.

Keep in mind the point of Bull's Eye is for you to help allies do damage, not to do damage yourself. Dropping from a d12 to a d10 is only an average loss of 1 damage, but you gain a 5% greater chance that you'll hit, which leads to the extra damage it generates for your allies in addition to the damage you do. If you miss, none of that happens.

I figure since I'm trained in Intimidate, the -2 debuff on my main at-will (which buffs INT mod damage) would be worth it. But should I be giving this up as my bread and butter attack?

You've got 3 Standard-action Encounter powers.  Are your combats lasting long enough for the Rattling to actually come into play (implication being you should be dropping those Encounter powers first, before using an At-Will)?  After 3 rounds of combat, everything should be nearly dead, and a Rattling attack won't make much difference.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You've got 3 Standard-action Encounter powers.  Are your combats lasting long enough for the Rattling to actually come into play (implication being you should be dropping those Encounter powers first, before using an At-Will)?  After 3 rounds of combat, everything should be nearly dead, and a Rattling attack won't make much difference.

Well the 3-round encounter is kind of a high-op thing. Considering the op level of his character and his note that his party is hurting for damage, I'd guess combats last quite a bit longer. But it's a valid point that putting resources into an at-will isn't usually ideal if your encounters are mostly/all standard actions.

Well the 3-round encounter is kind of a high-op thing. Considering the op level of his character and his note that his party is hurting for damage, I'd guess combats last quite a bit longer. But it's a valid point that putting resources into an at-will isn't usually ideal if your encounters are mostly/all standard actions.

These are both great points - We go for more like 6-8 rounds, and often find combat exhausting (which has been the frustration to be more efficient from my point of view). I also had no idea a 3-round battle was typical or preferred.

As I said, the Sorc and I tend to do some "high-op" nova work, but I think the general takeaway from this thread has been we (I) need to read more and sit down to op characters to really grind out what my peers want out of them.

Thanks everyone for the help!
What isn't clear? Admittedly I've been unable to do feats, which I will get to, but anything besides feats, items, and MCs?
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Oh - I've found it entirely clear and can't believe how helpful it's been as a resource. Thank-you for it!

I just found the 'archetypes' section was interesting on the Avenger wiki to help me build a character around - similar to your "General, Seargent" etc build section. I was just looking for that kind of help in the op forum instead!
Note that the archetypes section there is rather outdated, but valid, its useful and quite broad (good work there kilp)
Its just that Ranged Warlords are generally inferior to their melee brethern due to
A. Ranged focused PCs generally being inferior
B. Melee Warlord powers being better. 

Leaving Taclords, Reslords, and Bravuralords to be the best, and there really isn't much variance between the first two...
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Hi again. After much deliberation over builds, I think I found what I'm looking for from the original post re. Striking Ranged Warlord.

Inspired by MC-Drowbane's Battery build, I've stuck with the Greatbow (could be Sup Xbow instead for +3) and built a moderate striker around the original AP and Insp Word buffs. I'd love to hear some comments on how to make this even better! 

Show
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 14 Human, Ranger/Warlord, Battle Captain
Hybrid Ranger Option: Hybrid Ranger Fortitude Warlord Leadership Option: Combat Leader (Hybrid) Hybrid Warlord Option: Hybrid Warlord Will Hybrid Talent Option: Commanding Presence (Hybrid) Commanding Presence (Hybrid) Option: Tactical Presence (Hybrid) Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort Inherent Bonuses Parentage - Noble Theme: Cipher

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 12, DEX 23, INT 20, WIS 11, CHA 9

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 11, DEX 17, INT 16, WIS 10, CHA 8 AC: 29 Fort: 23 Ref: 30 Will: 22 HP: 89 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 22

TRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +19, Athletics +13, Diplomacy +11, Endurance +12, History +17

UNTRAINED SKILLS Arcana +12, Bluff +6, Dungeoneering +7, Heal +7, Insight +7, Intimidate +6, Nature +7, Perception +7, Religion +12, Stealth +12, Streetwise +6, Thievery +12

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack Human
Racial Power: Heroic Effort
Hunter's Quarry Power: Hunter's Quarry
Warlord Feature: Inspiring Word
Warlord Attack 1: Direct the Strike
Ranger Attack 1: Twin Strike
Warlord Attack 1: Powerful Warning
Ranger Attack 1: Sure Shot
Ranger Utility 2: Begin the Hunt
Ranger Attack 3: Disruptive Strike
Warlord Attack 5: Scent of Victory
Warlord Utility 6: Rousing Words
Ranger Attack 9: Attacks on the Run
Warlord Utility 10: Tactical Shift
Battle Captain Attack 11: Force Retreat
Battle Captain Utility 12: Bolt of Genius
Ranger Attack 13: Pinning Strike

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Greatbow)
Level 2: Improved Tactics
Level 4: Tactical Assault
Level 6: Superior Reflexes
Level 8: Bow Expertise
Level 10: Lethal Hunter
Level 11: Fight On
Level 12: Combat Commander
Level 14: Tactician's Word
ITEMS Hide Armor x1 Longspear Greatbow x1 ====== End ======
I do not know the Cipher theme, don't know what it does. What I do know is that Noble Parentage background gives you perception as a skill, which you do not train. May want to look into that.

However, that's minor.

Not a fan of Begin the Hunt, at the same level as Invigorating Stride or Encouraging Boost. Which perhaps would lend you the healing you seek, so that you could pick Reorient the Axis at 6. However, Rousing Words can be good, campaign / DM dependent.

I would drop Tactical Shift for pretty much half the other utilities available there. Since as a daily, avoid one attack on an ally does not seem all that strong.

Most important of all of this is of course the ridiculous ability stat placement. How do you expect this character to live? Any attack vs Fort or Will will hit, rendering this character likely useless as soon as the DM figures out your gimmick.     

Cipher is fairly bad if you don't have the means to generate action points, it gives you +2 power bonus to Init (utterly worthless since you're Warlord) and if you don't win Init you can move your speed as a free action, and it lets you 1/day spend 2 APs in an encounter (basically, you only take it on a Battlefield Archer and even then only in an Encounter-capped environment like LFR)

Wait, your DM is letting you switch classes? That changes literally everything about what we can suggest/improve. For starters, you can be a Bard, Bard|Sorcerer, Artificer|Warlord (check out Killswitch), etc.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Don't shy away from Bard/Sorc for RP. Mechanically the bard powers resemble what the Warlord exemplifies in RP. Reskin the fluff. 

Concisely: I want a system where players don't have to pick between mechanics and roleplaying. I hope 5E fails asap so a better system can be made asap.

( I can't believe what they did to the forums. The sterile lack or color is rather depressing. )

Just grab Thicket of Blades.

Woah, hold on a second.  First make sure your warlock has Hellsworn Blessing or it doesn't count!

(Sorry for distracting, but its too much fun.  Ignore Zelink and I, don't take ToB). 
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

Woah, hold on a second.  First make sure your warlock has Hellsworn Blessing or it doesn't count!

(Sorry for distracting, but its too much fun.  Ignore Zelink and I, don't take ToB). 

Don't they both last all day?

Don't they both last all day?

Show
Thicket of Blades numbers.
baldhermit, thanks for the great power suggestions. I'm definitely worried about the Fort/Will defs, and might consider swapping out for Imp Def instead of Sup Ref. Any recommendations? 

Zatharis, do you have any resources for generating APs? I took it because of the obvious buffs this build is based around. Otherwise, any other recommendations for themes? re. Class change, I haven't confirmed this with the DM yet, but we've talked about 'striker-ing' this build extensively. Given that it's pretty much just swapping STR for DEX (Buc has been using a Bow almost the entire time), and keeping all the same AP and IW buff abilities, I think it's a pretty good case?
Um, no, you're changing Stats, Class, Feats, Powers, and Items. This is a new character. If you can make the argument that you're not changing the 'feel' of the character and your DM buys that load of baloney, more power to you. But if that's the case, I'd strongly recommend going with one of the other builds I suggesed, trying to go Dex/Int kills both your Fort and Will, which Sup Ref doesn't help in the slightest, you're basically Daze/Stun/Dominate bait.

Getting more Action Points: Sidhe Lord Theme's U2, Battlefield Archer PP, Adroit Explorer PP, Divine Class and wear a Symbol of Victory 'round your neck, Bard and take the Heroic Interjection U16, lots of stuff in Epic. None of that, other than Sidhe Lord, changes the fact that Cipher isn't good regardless of how many APs you have.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Cipher is the 2/encounter AP feature 1/day, right? Yeah, that sucks even if you do generate more APs than you'll ever use, because it's only a daily power.
Renfrew, if you do not understand why this Dex/Int build is bad on that bases alone, I would seriously recommend staying well away from hybrids, and sticking to an example build in one of the handbooks (not one from the DPR kings thread).
Also, this needs to be said, with this build why no Create Opening?  That daily can be stupidly powerful, especially if you are fighting a solo / heavy elite and you have at least one melee guy next to it.  With the right combo you are sometimes tossing out 3-4 attacks per round.  Don't get me wrong, scent of victory isn't bad but it tends to be wasted a lot by the fact that you really shouldn't have that many bloodied foes around.

In my group my nova on a solo went something like this:

Create Opening
AP
Twinstrike (Grant Barb an attack, Grant Rogue and attack)
Minor action RBA (Grant Fey Beast an attack)
Move into melee

Off turn creature attacks me and I Vengeance is Mine (I attack, barb attacks if I hit rogue attacks). 
Show
I'm seeing now how shortsighted the build is... and how a ranged warlord is much more limited than the melee builds. I just don't want to go full lazy - I don't hink it's right for the party (see first post).

Are there non-lazy taclord builds based around STR that are good? and not Eladrin? If there are, I can't seem to find any.

Genasi are the flex stat choice for Taclords, Strength/Intelligence.  Grab all the delightful Strength based Warlord powers, keep high Intelligence for riders.

Bargle wrote:

Zelink wrote:
Are there non-lazy taclord builds based around STR that are good? and not Eladrin? If there are, I can't seem to find any.

Wait, seriously? For non-hybrids, Non-lazy is the rule, Lazy is the exception. Both handbooks are basically written as "Genasi Taclord: How To"
Did you peak at the Bard|Sorcerer already like Zathris suggested?
You could have your cake and icecream. (ranged and Melee)

Concisely: I want a system where players don't have to pick between mechanics and roleplaying. I hope 5E fails asap so a better system can be made asap.

( I can't believe what they did to the forums. The sterile lack or color is rather depressing. )

Genasi Taclord:
Pump Str/Int
Grab tactician's Ringmail
Grab Skyblue powers
Grab Battle Captain

Win.