Controller RP ideas

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello! It looks like I'm going to be a controller in this campaign I've started up. I'm leaning quite a bit towards wizard, but anything is open, but I'm having trouble thinking of a good background to RP with him. I plan on being a bit sillier in my RP, if anyone has any good ideas please share them! Thanks in advance!
Who was your character before becoming a wizard?

How did he become a wizard - an academy, an apprenticeship, a correspondence school, finding some dusty old tomes in his late grandfather's attic and studying them on his own?

If appropriate, how was he chosen to attend the academy or be an apprentice?

(Now I'm having fun imagining a correspondence-school wizard. For more sheer perversity, the school was established and run by scam artists - not wizards - who are now on the lam. The character has a lot of ideas about how magic works that make no sense whatsoever, and any properly trained wizard will tell him he's totally on the wrong track... but his spells still work. Usually. You get to narrate no-effect misses as strange, amusing, but inconsequential things happening. "I cast Dominate on the Orc. Attack is versus Will. Oops, I rolled a 1; the Orc is now rainbow-striped.")
"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
When making a character, there are a few things to think about:
How did he learn to use his power.
What makes him drive to gain more power?
Why would he leave his place of learning to go risk his life?
What is his general demeaner?
Name three friends.
Name three people he dislikes.
Name three people he remembers fondly.
How would he pass the time if he was stranded on a deserted island?
What would he do with a million gold?

You know, normal things.
The last time I played a Wizard, he was a Burgundy Wizard of Not-Thay, who was an Eladrin going by the name of Jimmy McJimmers.

If you want to be silly, also look at funny wizards from pop culture.  Perhaps you can base your character on Tim the Enchanter,

My other big piece of advice would be to see if you can collaborate with the other players in the party on your background.  This is good in general, just to get everyone on the same page, invested in their characters and the party, and it gives the party better motiviation to go out and do stuff than "you meet in a tavern"
DM advice: 1. Do a Session Zero. 2. Start With Action. 3. Always say "Yes" to player ideas. 4. Don't build railroads. 5. Make success, failure, and middling rolls interesting. Player advice: 1. Don't be a dick. 2. Build off each other, don't block each other. 3. You're supposed to be a badass. Act like it. Take risks. My poorly updated blog: http://engineeredfun.wordpress.com/
(Now I'm having fun imagining a correspondence-school wizard. For more sheer perversity, the school was established and run by scam artists - not wizards - who are now on the lam. The character has a lot of ideas about how magic works that make no sense whatsoever, and any properly trained wizard will tell him he's totally on the wrong track... but his spells still work. Usually. You get to narrate no-effect misses as strange, amusing, but inconsequential things happening. "I cast Dominate on the Orc. Attack is versus Will. Oops, I rolled a 1; the Orc is now rainbow-striped.")

Professor Emeleus Brown.  From Bedknobs and Broomsticks.  He found a book about magic, put his own twist on it but could never make it work.  It took someone who wanted to learn magic and didn't know that his stuff was "made up" to make it all work. 

I like the idea of rainbow-colored Orcs on a failed Dominate.  If the power was sufficiently high-enough level, maybe it just makes the caster and PCs see *everything* as rainbow colored?  :P
Sign In to post comments