Homebrew Tattoo Powers

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
So in my homebrew campaign, I've just finished the introductory few encounters, and the players have just found magical orbs that disappeared and marked them on their palms with this symbol: 
Its the symbol for planeswalkers in the Magic: The Gathering setting.

Each PC, entirely by accident, chose a build that perfectly aligns with a mana color. I plan on having the tattoos give them daily immediate interrupt powers that allign with their mana color and playstyle. But I need some ideas. I dont want the powers to be overpowered, but i want them to be generally useful.

The PCs and their mana alignments are:

A Vampire: Black
A Battlemind: Blue
A Storm Sorcerer: Red
A Druid: Green
A Runepriest: White

Anyone have any ideas?
Here are some off the top of my head:

Black
Blackrazor (Free Action, Encounter Power)
Effect: Spend a healing surge (but gain no healing from it). You gain a power bonus to damage equal to your healing surge value until the end of your next turn

Blue
Psychic Switch (Interrupt, Encounter Power)
Trigger: A creature marked by you hits an ally with an attack
Effect: Spend a healing surge (but gain no healing from it). Choose a creature you can see within 10 squares. Swap the positions of that creature with the ally hit (this is a teleport effect). The triggering attack now targets the swapped creature instead of the ally.

Red
Storm Surge (Reaction, At-Will Power)
Trigger: You are damaged by an attack
Effect: Spend a healing surge (but gain no healing from it). Lightning and thunder discharge violently from you in a Close burst 1 (targets all creatures in the burst) dealing a total amount of lightning and thunder damage equal to your healing surge value to all creatures in the burst.

Green
Toughness (Minor Action, Encounter Power)
Effect: Spend a healing surge (but gain no healing from it). Close burst 1 (You and each ally in the burst), you and each target gain temporary hitpoints equal to your healing surge value.

White
Armor of Faith (Interrupt, Encounter Power)
Trigger: You or one ally within 5 squares is hit by an attack
Effect: Spend a healing surge (but gain no healing from it). The target gains resist all equal to your healing surge value plus your highest ability score modifier until the end of your next turn. If all the damage from any attack is negated by this resistance, treat that attack as having missed the target.

They each cost a surge to use, meaning they draw down resources with use, but still provide a nice bonus. So it makes them useful but still cost something to use, representing they are drawing on their own inner power sources to power these tattoo effects. The at-will version is not as powerful as it may seem, since it costs a surge each use, and takes up the PCs reaction each time, which often they have several using that limited resource, so it offers the PC an option for a reaction all the time, but does not mean they will always want to use it. They will probably save it for when they are surrounded by at least 2-3 foes and it serves as a disincentive for mobs to gang up on that PC.

Some playtesting will help you see if these work for your group and their power level, you can tweak them as needed.

Larry
Sign In to post comments