Gamma World FAQ + ask a simple question

216 posts / 0 new
Last post
After thinking on it, I agree that the Giant origin is not a large creature, but my son's character (a giant android) also has the Gigantism alpha mutation which does make him large and brings the modification of the Brickbat ability into play.

Thanks for the response.
Hi folks!

I'm a newbie RPG fan... I'm very interested in playing Gamma World and i'm want to buy the starter boxed set.

This game will be affected by the "D&D Next" thing?
Hi folks! I'm a newbie RPG fan... I'm very interested in playing Gamma World and i'm want to buy the starter boxed set.

Welcome! The Box set will get you started and there are various links on these forums to get you going!

Maybe. - We didn't see much of a GW for 3/3.5. What we got for 4e was pretty good but not a full game. What we hope for the future is some good stuff to keep us going. If not I am sure one of us will make it.

Hi folks! I'm a newbie RPG fan... I'm very interested in playing Gamma World and i'm want to buy the starter boxed set.

Welcome! The Box set will get you started and there are various links on these forums to get you going!

Maybe. - We didn't see much of a GW for 3/3.5. What we got for 4e was pretty good but not a full game. What we hope for the future is some good stuff to keep us going. If not I am sure one of us will make it.

Thanks!!

I think i will get that starter box. I really like the GW setting...

I'm trying to introduce people in my country (Venezuela) to role playing. I really love D&D and i want more players in the hobby. 
(realized I had not posted this in the right place, so I moved it)

Howdy all,

First off, let me state that I would like to run as RAI as possible.  I have read the books, but I still have the following questions:

1. Random Tables - When might I roll on the starting gear tables again?

The base book and Famine in Far-Go give you starting equipment tables and junk tables, and Legion of Gold gives you another starting equipment table.  That being said, if I decide to role for a reward, based on what the book implies it will only be on the Ancient Junk table.  At no time will any of the gear in the other three tables be generated because those tables are not an optional outcome for the Ancient Junk tables.  Am I understanding that right?  Is the intent that gear is something you will only ever trade to aquire?

2. Found/Finding Weapons and Armor -  What are the stats?

The characters defeat an android with a shotgun.  I assume they get to keep it.  What the heck is it?  Two handed light gun, two handed heavy gun, one handed heavy gun for really macho character?

From the sounds of it, weapons are made from whatever you want, and thus, you use them however you see fit.  So the fact that a monster might have a carbine is irrelevant if you intent to use it as a one handed heavy melee weapon, or the fact that two cirtters had what would be considered light armor on but you intend to piece them together as a set of heavy.

In some cases I can see this being easy enough to understand, but making a blanket statement that how the characters "intent" to use something dictates how it works means that someone who finds something like a handgun can state that they plan on using it as a heavy two handed gun.  I guess if the item could reasonably (in the context of this fantasy setting) be used in the capacity they intend, that it is alright. 

I guess if someone who finds a sack of small 22 pistols and no ammo decides to throw them as a light one handed ranged weapon would be alright.  The weapon entry in this case would be: "Sack of Pistols", Dex/Int, +3, 1d8, 5 squares.

3. Repurposing Weapons and Armor -  Are the stats static or per character?

Do these statistics shift if the object is used differently?  Like say in the previous example, the character get's hold of some ammo and wants to use one of the pistols as a light one handed gun, while continuing to use the rest as thrown weapons.  Basically I am worried about people having transformer equipment.  "This is a shield when I hold it, or light armor when I wear it, or a light two handed ranged weapon when I throw it", "These two pieces of threaded pipe are each a heavy one handed melee weapon, but I can screw them together and have a heavy two handed melee weapon".  If I plan to use the sword as  Two handed light melee weapon, but I give it to another character, can they decide they will use the same sword as a one handed light melee weapon, or must they use it how I had?

4. Found/Finding Weapons and Armor -  When might characters find them?

Do characters get the equipment on the monsters they fight?  If so, do they only work in whatever generic weapon/armor capacity the character could reasonably use the object?  Will the players ever find "specifically" a light two handed ranged weapon, or will what they find really be subject to their interpretation of the object.  The monster stat block don't indicate what generic category monsters weapons/armor are in, so how does this get determined?

Further, beyond what bad guys drop, do characters just walk around finding what they want, to include guns?  I mean, if I intend to use that stopsign as a melee weapon, and those rocks as ranged weapon, what's to say that I don't find something else that I plan to use as a gun somehow?

5. AND in damage types

I've seen this a few other places, but the best example I can find right now is the Plasma Sword (card 30).  It lists that it does "3d10 + STR mod + twice your level electricity and fire damage".   So, is the damage of type fire and electricity, or does it do that much damage of both types?

Another example I found later is the novice power for Exploding "1d6 + con mod + lvl fire and sonic".  So is that 1d6+4+1 (assuming 18 Con and level 1) one time that is fire/sonic damage or 1d6+4+1 fire, and 1d6+4+1 sonic?

6. Touch attacks

Some of the origins in Famine in Far-Go have powers with a range of touch.  What do we do with those in the context of the GW rules?

Thanks for your time and help...

Question about the Alien's Alien Engineering:
1. Alien Engineering is cumulative; I can spend a number of turns accumulating charges on a weapon to later release them all with the weapon's normal damage. (ex. each charge adds 14 radiation damage to a succesfull hit; I hit for 22 physical with a 2h heavy gun with 4 charges; total damage was 70; the normal attack bonus was +12, but +2x4 added on top of to make a final +20).

2. I used a few accumulated charges of Alien Engineering with a weapon attack made from some omega tech (Grav Mortar). The omega tech is an 'area x within y' type attack(s), so in order to not make the DM despair that I had broken the encounter, I assigned all the bonus damage and bonus attack to only the target at the center of the burst; the other two targets took no alien engineering damage.

I want to reitterate the duration of the effects of this power, most importantly "before the end of the encounter".  Also, it's "the target's next weapon attack", so if that attack misses, the charge is gone.  As well, if this fight (the encounter) ends, the charge is also gone.

So, assume the following (INT 18, Level 1, Light Two Handed Weapon), a fight breaks out (an encounter)...   You hide behind a rock charging your weapon for 5 rounds.  You then pop out and try to hit with your "weapon".  You have either a +10 bonus to the attack roll, or a +2 bonus to the attack roll.  This get's touchy because it is the same type of bonus stacking, and in 3.5 that was important, because bonuses of the same type didn't actually stack...  but this is an unnamed bonus, so I think those stacked.   Whatever, assuming best case scenario for you, it is now round 6 and you're ready to go out there and knock something but good.  Your next weapon attack should be at an attack bonus of +18 (+4 Int, +1 Lvl, +3 WA, +10 bonus), and 1d12 + 5 (+4 Int, +1 Lvl) physical damage, +50 radioactive damage (25 + (4*5 Int) + (1*5 Lvl)).  This is the colmination of you hiding and doing nothing for 5 rounds, and then hoping to hit in the 6th.  Honestly, I don't have much issue with that, especially considering one in twenty times, this will still fail.  If it works, that's a max of 67 damage, and a minimum of 56, so an average of just over 10 damage a round for the last 6 rounds, and boooooring.  Impressive, but booooring.

For purposes of this attack, what is a "weapon"?  My feeling is that it could not include omega tech, even if it has weapon in it's description.  More specifically, it would have to be an attack that adheres to the definition of an attack as outlined on page 75.  I think this could include Salvaged Omega Tech which is basically just gear now, as long as the salvaged gear used the standard attack formula.  I am not sure if I think unarmed attacks should be included in this or not...  I would lean in the direction that they should because they are on the weapons table (page 74).

Of note is the fact that the power is Melee 1, but it does not state it must be applied to a melee weapon.   That being said, the 5 rounds you hide and Alien Engineer the heck out of your .45 Pistol, might be rather impressive in that 6th round.

Just my thoughts...
6 Rounds of novice power from Android - 11.5 average (assuming all 6 attacks hit...  this one is vs. reflex) 

6 Rounds of novice power from Cockroach - 15 average (assuming all 6 attacks hit...  this one is vs. fortitude)

6 Rounds of novice power from Electrokinetic - 11.5 average (assuming all 6 attacks hit...  this one is vs. fortitude) 

6 Rounds of novice power from Felinoid - 13 average (assuming all 12 attacks hit...  this one is vs. reflex)  

6 Rounds of novice power from Gravity Controller - 11.5 average (assuming all 6 attacks hit...  this one is vs. fortitude)

6 Rounds of novice power from Hypercognitive with  heavy two handed melee/ranged weapon - 14 average (assuming all 6 attacks hit...  this one is vs. AC)

6 Rounds of novice power from Mind Breaker - 11.5 average (assuming all 6 attacks hit...  this one is vs. will)

6 Rounds of novice power from Pyrokinetic - 15 average (assuming all 6 attacks hit...  this one is vs. reflex)

6 Rounds of novice power from Radioactice - 11.5 average (assuming all 6 attacks hit...  this one is vs. fortitude)

6 Rounds of novice power from Cryokinetic - 12.4 average (assuming all 6 attacks hit...  vs. fortitude) What the heck, this is a touch attack, but there are no Touch rules that I found in GW?!?!

6 Rounds of novice power from Ectoplasmic - 15 average (assuming all 6 attacks hit...  vs. reflex) also a touch attack

6 Rounds of novice power from Entropic - 19.1 average (assuming all 6 attacks hit...  vs. fortitude) also a touch attack

... just some examples that would theoretically average more damage per round, with other factors to weigh their usefulness and such...

1. Random Tables - When might I roll on the starting gear tables again?

This is up to the DM. You can throw in regular gear as a reward if you want or can make it so players can trade for such gear.

2. Found/Finding Weapons and Armor -  What are the stats?

I guess it's up to the DM how they want to classify the weapon as light or heavy. But it doesn't really matter. Players should already have the 'mundane' weapons that work best for them. Any mundane gear they pick up off of fallen enemies would be purely for trade. (in my group i don't even bother with giving mundane items) Players could use the gear to make booby traps or make a house out of them.

The characters defeat an android with a shotgun.  I assume they get to keep it.  What the heck is it?  Two handed light gun, two handed heavy gun, one handed heavy gun for really macho character?

3. Repurposing Weapons and Armor -  Are the stats static or per character?

Yes let them! As long as they're using the right stats for it, why not. You want to use two pistols as your two handed ranged weapon? Go right ahead! You're a shapshifter/android and you want to turn you hands into blades? Cool go for it! if your players want to transform their one handed weapons to two handed, let them if it makes them happy. I would just make them have to use a minor action to do so. As long as they're using the right stats for the right funciton of the weapon it's fine. Mundane it's ok to do it with, Omega tech no way in hell.

4. Found/Finding Weapons and Armor -  When might characters find them?

I think your main issue is players are probably not going to care about mundane weapons they find because they will start off with what they need. Ammo they will care about, but an extra AK 47, no. If your players want to change they're mundane weapons for something else let them, but i honestly don't see a reason why they would want to.

5. AND in damage types

NO. If an attack does two types of damage, it's just the type of damage not how much it does. So your 3d10 + STR mod + 2x lvl Plasma Sword, lets say the math adds up to 26, it would deal 26 fire/electric damage. Having a double type of damage only effects resistance and vulnerabilities. If a creature has a resistance to fire of 10, it would still take the full 26 because it needs to be resistant to both fire and electricity. If it's vulnerable for fire 5 and electricity 10, it would take the highest of the two. and if it was resistant fire 10 and Vulnerable electric 10 it would split the difference (in this case it would cancel out) and just take the original 26 damage. Confusing I know.

6. Touch attacks

Really it just means Melee 1 minus the weapon keyword.

Hope that helps!
Criticals

Page 18 states "You can attack your enemies by using a power...".  Based on this I made the natural conclusion that, if when attempting to hit a monster with one of my powers that if you roll a 20 that would be a critical hit, and thus, standard rules for critical would apply.

Is that accurate?

I also extrapulated that this would apply to "attacks" only.  So if I use a power that is not an "attack", critical hits would not apply. 
Criticals

Page 18 states "You can attack your enemies by using a power...".  Based on this I made the natural conclusion that, if when attempting to hit a monster with one of my powers that if you roll a 20 that would be a critical hit, and thus, standard rules for critical would apply.

Is that accurate?

I also extrapulated that this would apply to "attacks" only.  So if I use a power that is not an "attack", critical hits would not apply. 

Yes that is correct on all counts.

I'm confused as to why the Engineered Human origin describes a trait of "+2 to all forms of overcharge".

I was under the impression that the Engineered Human origin only occurs when you randomly generate two identical origins. In this case, Engineered Human becomes your secondary origin.

As a result, Engineered Human can NEVER be you primary origin. If you only receive the overcharge bonus from your primary origin, why would Engineered Human show an overcharge bonus at all, based on the fact that it would never technically apply.

Can someone please clarify this for me?
Others have voiced annoyance at this as well...  The rules state only your primary origin get's the overcharge, so, you are right in thinking that the Engineered Human's overcharge bonus would never come into play since it will always be your secondary origin.

How others are handling this:

1. Apply the rules as writen - the overcharge bonus never comes into play for an Engineered Human.  It is stated on multiple pages that only the primary origin's overcharge bonus is applied and it is stated that the Engineered Human is a secondary origin.  There is no vagueness to the rules, only why they would list an overcharge bonus if you could never use it.

2. Apply all origin overcharge bonuses for all character origin combinations.  Realize that the only downside to this is that this increases the chance of success for all player character overcharge attempts.  This alters game balance in favor of the players, but not so much that I think it would really matter.

3. Assum the Engineered Human's overcharge bonus replaces the primary origins bonus.  This would be the exception to the rule and your choice on how to handle a very rare character origin (much more rare as you add the expansions).

4. Assume Engineered Human is the primary origin, if it is actually generated.  This is the easiest way to modify the rules, only requiring the altering of one bit of text.  (page 30 - "...then your PRIMARY origin is Engineered Human")

Which of these are correct?  Well, the first one is correct according to the rules.  Any of them (or other options) are correct for your game, as long as the players know that is how you wish to play the game.

Personally, I would opt for the 4th option.  Based on the descriptive text on page 57, it would seem that to engineer a human, one must first start with HUMAN (they even mention "...that doesn't mean you can't have a second character origin" implying that this could be viewed as a primary origin), but it's totally up to you.  I have made this choice knowing full well that it is not RAW (rules as writen), and would inform my players of this choice.

Why did they include it?  Well, perhaps you might make NPCs that only use one origin (theoretical "pure strains"), or might even use the origins as templates to apply to monsters, or they just didn't realize that they made something with such an awesome bonus, but no actual way to get it.  To my knowledge, there has never been an "official" point of view on this, and there will likely never be.

So, to answer your question...  I assume they added it more for flavor and to give you an idea of how cool Engineered Humans are as primary origins, even though you will never be able to have it.
I am interested in designing a " Gamma World," campaign. I would like to incorporate spaceships or space travel vehicles. Outside of orbital stuff I can't seem to find any thing on space travel. Any ideas?
I have a question about Critical Hits.  If you roll a natural 20 on your attack roll using a weapon (like a sword or a shotgun) does the Origin Critical apply?  The way the rules are written, it sounds as if the Origin Critical would apply to any and all attacks by the character that results in a Critical Hit.  Thanks in advance.
I am interested in designing a " Gamma World," campaign. I would like to incorporate spaceships or space travel vehicles. Outside of orbital stuff I can't seem to find any thing on space travel. Any ideas?

Check out the father to Gamma World, Metamorphosis Alpha.

Kerry