11/29/2012 Sealed Deck Exercise

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Sealed Deck Builder, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
links to "article not found".

This Deck was built in 0:05:14

Total Deck Size: 40
18 Lands
---------------
5 Forest
5 Mountain
5 Swamp
1 Blood Crypt
2 Transguild Promenade

13 Creatures
---------------
1 Archweaver
1 Carnival Hellsteed
1 Drainpipe Vermin
2 Gatecreeper Vine
2 Hellhole Flailer
2 Korozda Guildmage
1 Sluiceway Scorpion
2 Towering Indrik
1 Trestle Troll

9 Other Spells
---------------
1 Abrupt Decay
2 Annihilating Fire
1 Auger Spree
1 Civic Saber
1 Deviant Glee
1 Electrickery
1 Rakdos Keyrune
1 Traitorous Instinct

great removal and good mana fixing made rakdos obvious but the lack of creatures made me have to add green and go with jund 

This deck was pretty easy to build.  Jund had the best removal, best creatures, best bombs, and best mana fixing.  Here is my list.

This Deck was built in 0:05:10

17 Lands
---------------
6 Forest
4 Mountain
4 Swamp
1 Blood Crypt
2 Transguild Promenade

14 Creatures
---------------
1 Archweaver
1 Carnival Hellsteed
1 Centaur's Herald
2 Gatecreeper Vine
2 Hellhole Flailer
2 Korozda Guildmage
1 Sluiceway Scorpion
2 Towering Indrik
1 Trestle Troll
1 Utvara Hellkite

9 Other Spells
---------------
1 Abrupt Decay
2 Annihilating Fire
1 Auger Spree
1 Chorus of Might
1 Giant Growth
1 Jarad's Orders
1 Rakdos Keyrune
1 Traitorous Instinct

Definitely a Jund control build. Effectively six walls. Four solid removal spells. Two top end superfatties, and two guildmages to break stalemates in other ways.

This Deck was built in 0:14:26

17 Lands --------------- 5 Forest 5 Mountain 6 Swamp 1 Blood Crypt

14 Creatures --------------- 1 Carnival Hellsteed 2 Gatecreeper Vine 2 Hellhole Flailer 2 Korozda Guildmage 1 Ogre Jailbreaker 1 Perilous Shadow 1 Sluiceway Scorpion 2 Towering Indrik 1 Trestle Troll 1 Utvara Hellkite

9 Other Spells --------------- 1 Abrupt Decay 2 Annihilating Fire 1 Auger Spree 1 Civic Saber 1 Giant Growth 1 Grisly Salvage 1 Jarad's Orders 1 Rakdos Keyrune

I went for a control-ish build that focuses on stalling with the Trestle Troll and Towering Indriks and basically attrition your opponents out until the big guns come out... Which I was hoping the Utvara Hellkite would fill the role as but because of the lack of more ramp (Axebane Guardians) and a higher density of stallers, I opted instead to top the curve off at 6, which includes the Tenement Crasher and the Carnival Hellsteed. That said, I don't have much experience with Sealed

This Deck was built in 0:30:23

17 Lands
---------------
5 Forest
5 Mountain
5 Swamp
1 Blood Crypt
1 Transguild Promenade

14 Creatures
---------------
1 Batterhorn
1 Carnival Hellsteed
2 Gatecreeper Vine
2 Hellhole Flailer
2 Korozda Guildmage
1 Ogre Jailbreaker
1 Sluiceway Scorpion
1 Tenement Crasher
2 Towering Indrik
1 Trestle Troll

9 Other Spells
---------------
1 Abrupt Decay
2 Annihilating Fire
1 Auger Spree
1 Electrickery
1 Giant Growth
1 Mind Rot
1 Rakdos Keyrune
1 Savage Surge
Now what happens when your sealed pool ISN'T a preconstructed sick-ass Jund deck?

This Deck was built in 0:16:48

16 Lands
---------------
4 Forest
4 Mountain
5 Swamp
1 Blood Crypt
2 Transguild Promenade

14 Creatures
---------------
1 Archweaver
1 Carnival Hellsteed
2 Gatecreeper Vine
2 Hellhole Flailer
2 Korozda Guildmage
1 Ogre Jailbreaker
1 Perilous Shadow
1 Sluiceway Scorpion
2 Towering Indrik
1 Trestle Troll

10 Other Spells
---------------
1 Abrupt Decay
2 Annihilating Fire
1 Auger Spree
1 Civic Saber
1 Deviant Glee
1 Giant Growth
1 Rakdos Keyrune
1 Skull Rend
1 Traitorous Instinct

This Deck was built in 0:21:49

17 Lands
---------------
6 Forest
6 Island
3 Plains
1 Azorius Guildgate
1 Transguild Promenade

16 Creatures
---------------
1 Centaur's Herald
1 Doorkeeper
1 Dryad Militant
2 Gatecreeper Vine
1 Judge's Familiar
1 New Prahv Guildmage
1 Risen Sanctuary
1 Stealer of Secrets
1 Tower Drake
2 Towering Indrik
1 Vassal Soul
3 Voidwielder

7 Other Spells
---------------
1 Call of the Conclave
1 Cancel
1 Common Bond
1 Inaction Injunction
2 Paralyzing Grasp
1 Savage Surge

I went Simic because it's awesome and has some great tempo plays, also because I could. Simic win! Alsonit's worth pointing out that this deck has a great curve compared to all the other obvious colour pairs.  Although I did a little cheaty and counted some of the white 2 drops as conditional 3 drops.

I went the Golgari-Rakdos route as well.  Went heaviest on forests and lightest on mountains and my list reflects that (no annihilating fires).  Like Onamor, I felt Hellkite and Archweaver were just too expensive to be running.  I like Skull Rend as a curve-topper when I feel I can establish an early presence, similar to my thoughts on Fall of the Gavel.  I also seem to be the only Jund player running a Cobblebrute, it just begs to be given Intimidate for a turn.  With no gates, he seemed better than the Jailbreaker.

This Deck was built in 0:12:23

17 Lands
---------------
7 Forest
3 Mountain
4 Swamp
1 Blood Crypt
2 Transguild Promenade

14 Creatures
---------------
1 Carnival Hellsteed
1 Centaur's Herald
1 Cobblebrute
1 Dryad Militant
2 Gatecreeper Vine
2 Hellhole Flailer
2 Korozda Guildmage
1 Sluiceway Scorpion
2 Towering Indrik
1 Trestle Troll

9 Other Spells
---------------
1 Abrupt Decay
1 Auger Spree
1 Civic Saber
1 Giant Growth
1 Grisly Salvage
1 Jarad's Orders
1 Rakdos Keyrune
1 Savage Surge
1 Skull Rend

This Deck was built in 0:14:26

Total Deck Size: 40 17 Lands --------------- 10 Island 7 Plains

11 Creatures --------------- 1 Concordia Pegasus 1 Doorkeeper 1 Judge's Familiar 1 New Prahv Guildmage 1 Stealer of Secrets 1 Sunspire Griffin 1 Tower Drake 1 Vassal Soul 3 Voidwielder

12 Other Spells --------------- 1 Avenging Arrow 1 Blustersquall 1 Cancel 1 Ethereal Armor 2 Eyes in the Skies 1 Inaction Injunction 1 Knightly Valor 1 Mizzium Skin 2 Paralyzing Grasp 1 Swift Justice

Hmm... I guess I'm the only person who didn't go Green/Red/Black.  They definitely had the best cards but I was worried about mana problems in that deck.  I opted for a safer Azorious deck.  It doesn't have the strongest cards but the curve is pretty nice and there is a ton of control there.  I'd rely exclusively on flyers to win the game, though.  

This set was interesting.  I built around a card that I have always really liked, but this is the first time I was able to build a sealed deck around.  Hellhole Flailer  I think we can all agree that he can be a finisher for that last 3-4 damage you need to take out your opponent, but what if it could go off for 9+... well that is certainly even better, right?

This set offers tons of removal, and I have as much as I can find.  My creature count is low at 11, but it still works.  I put in both the Gatecreeper Vine without a single gate to pull.  Even with all but 4 cards costing less than 4, this deck is actually wanting as much land as it can get.  Sure I included the epic Utvara Hellkite, but honestly he was thrown in as a late game win condition in the event I can't kill you with the Hellhole Flailer.  I wanted all that land for my combo possibilties.  When the combo requires 7-8+ mana, I need to hit as many land-drops as I go.  If you can play a turn 3 Hellhole Flailer then you are able to be very aggro, but the deck also can shift gears and play defensively should you need to.  It is surprisingly versitle.

The other thing I have noticed is that in draft and sealed you are almost always playing 3 colors and the biggest problem in winning is often getting enough of the right colors at the right time.  With double Transguild Promenade and double Gatecreeper Vine I am hoping to avoid that pitfall.  That is also why my basic lands slant more toward green than normal.

This Deck was built in 0:15:56

18 Lands
---------------
6 Forest
5 Mountain
4 Swamp
1 Blood Crypt
2 Transguild Promenade

11 Creatures
---------------
1 Batterhorn
1 Centaur's Herald
2 Gatecreeper Vine
2 Hellhole Flailer
2 Korozda Guildmage
1 Perilous Shadow
1 Sluiceway Scorpion
1 Utvara Hellkite

11 Other Spells
---------------
1 Abrupt Decay
2 Annihilating Fire
1 Auger Spree
1 Civic Saber
1 Electrickery
1 Giant Growth
1 Rakdos Charm
1 Rakdos Keyrune
1 Savage Surge
1 Traitorous Instinct

Ideal draw/play:
Turn 1: Blood Crypt (could just be a Swamp)
Turn 2: Forest + Gatecreeper Vine
Turn 3: Mountain + Hellhole Flailer (Unleashed)
Turn 4: Land+Civic Saber+Equip, Attack with 6/3 have 2 mana for pump or Abrupt Decay a blocker
Turn 5: Land+Giant Growth, attack plus pop ability for 9, if they have no blocker I am doing 18 this turn alone.

Playing against air, that is potentially 24-26 damage by turn 5.  The starting hand isn't anything too awesome, Swamp, Forest, Gatecreeper Vine, Hellhole Flailer, Civic Saber, Giant Growth.  As long as you can hit your land drops similar type starts shouldn't be too uncommon with the doubles and redundant type cards in this deck.

I really like this one.
I had some trouble getting the sealed deck builder to work for me, but it eventually started to work.  I don't know why.

Jund looked awful fun, the only thing I'm worried about is the double red weight in the annihilating fires, but I'm hoping that 6 sources of color fixing are going to smooth that out.

This Deck was built in 0:32:28

17 Lands
---------------
6 Forest
3 Mountain
5 Swamp
1 Blood Crypt
2 Transguild Promenade

15 Creatures
---------------
1 Archweaver
1 Carnival Hellsteed
1 Centaur's Herald
2 Gatecreeper Vine
2 Hellhole Flailer
2 Korozda Guildmage
1 Ogre Jailbreaker
1 Sluiceway Scorpion
2 Towering Indrik
1 Trestle Troll
1 Utvara Hellkite

8 Other Spells
---------------
1 Abrupt Decay
2 Annihilating Fire
1 Auger Spree
1 Civic Saber
1 Deviant Glee
1 Jarad's Orders
1 Rakdos Keyrune

The curve is a bit iffy, but this deck looks to stabilize and then pound with quality so I swapped the vermin and dryad for the second indrik and the jailbreaker.  Obviously against a faster deck I would side those 2 back in, but this seems like a good default.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

The curve is a bit iffy, but this deck looks to stabilize and then pound with quality so I swapped the vermin and dryad for the second indrik and the jailbreaker.  Obviously against a faster deck I would side those 2 back in, but this seems like a good default.

Not picking on you specifically, but everyone who put in the Ogre Jailbreaker realizes you have no gates so he will always be a 4/4 defender, right?

Also I see alot of people with Jarad's Orders and Grisly Salvage, I didn't like them here because you have more than just 1 or 2 win conditions and only 1 card provides you anything if you dump it in the bin.  Sure you can find that land/creature you might want/need, but I think more often you are going to regretting the cards you choose to put in the graveyard.

There are just so many combos, I find I don't want to lose any of the cards, even the lands.  You need half of them for your high end finishers anyway.

And don't sleep on Perilous Shadow... This is a bomb card, 4 toughness is hard to kill in this set AND he pumps +2/+2 for each 1B you put into him, just from being able to cast him you should be able to attack with a 4/8 the next turn at least.  He doubles as a wall and a finisher.

For some fun, I made a Grixis-deck with the three Voidweilders.

This Deck was built in 0:19:06

17 Lands
---------------
4 Island
5 Mountain
4 Swamp
1 Azorius Guildgate
1 Blood Crypt
2 Transguild Promenade

14 Creatures
---------------
1 Carnival Hellsteed
1 Drainpipe Vermin
2 Goblin Electromancer
2 Hellhole Flailer
1 Judge's Familiar
1 Nivix Guildmage
1 Ogre Jailbreaker
1 Perilous Shadow
1 Tenement Crasher
3 Voidwielder

9 Other Spells
---------------
2 Annihilating Fire
1 Auger Spree
1 Blustersquall
2 Cremate
1 Deviant Glee
1 Inaction Injunction
1 Rakdos Keyrune

Realistically, the Hellkite probably won't see play, but what the heck. Started with Rakdos, since the Hellsteed's an obvious bomb, plus the Blood Crypt made it an easier choice. Then I considered if I wanted another color to splash, went with Golgari for the overlaps- splash green to allow abrupt decay? Yes, please. Plus the Korozda Guildmage boosts my creatures and gives them intimidate? Sounds like a good win strategy to me.

This Deck was built in 0:08:49

18 Lands
---------------
4 Forest
5 Mountain
6 Swamp
1 Blood Crypt
2 Transguild Promenade

12 Creatures
---------------
1 Carnival Hellsteed
1 Drainpipe Vermin
2 Gatecreeper Vine
2 Hellhole Flailer
2 Korozda Guildmage
1 Perilous Shadow
1 Street Sweeper
1 Towering Indrik
1 Utvara Hellkite

10 Other Spells
---------------
1 Abrupt Decay
1 Auger Spree
1 Civic Saber
1 Deviant Glee
1 Electrickery
1 Giant Growth
1 Rakdos Charm
1 Rakdos Keyrune
1 Shrieking Affliction
1 Skull Rend

Edit- Blackfro, you're right. I should dump the Hellkite for the Perilous Shadow. Which is what I get for posting before reading the responses.

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

This Deck was built in 0:26:59

18 Lands
---------------
5 Forest
5 Island
7 Plains
1 Azorius Guildgate

10 Creatures
---------------
1 Concordia Pegasus
1 Dryad Militant
2 Gatecreeper Vine
1 New Prahv Guildmage
1 Risen Sanctuary
1 Sunspire Griffin
1 Vassal Soul
2 Voidwielder

12 Other Spells
---------------
1 Aerial Predation
1 Avenging Arrow
1 Blustersquall
1 Call of the Conclave
1 Cancel
1 Chorus of Might
1 Inaction Injunction
1 Knightly Valor
1 Paralyzing Grasp
2 Rootborn Defenses
1 Swift Justice

Well Jund Aggro seemed good in this draft, i felt like disruption would end up being better. Control your oppenents, slow em down a bit, then fog them or use Rootborn Defense to surpise them and leave them tapped out for the lethal blow. Maybe not the most powerful, but I'd definitely enjoy playing it.  

Not picking on you specifically, but everyone who put in the Ogre Jailbreaker realizes you have no gates so he will always be a 4/4 defender, right?

Also I see alot of people with Jarad's Orders and Grisly Salvage, I didn't like them here because you have more than just 1 or 2 win conditions and only 1 card provides you anything if you dump it in the bin.  Sure you can find that land/creature you might want/need, but I think more often you are going to regretting the cards you choose to put in the graveyard.

There are just so many combos, I find I don't want to lose any of the cards, even the lands.  You need half of them for your high end finishers anyway.

And don't sleep on Perilous Shadow... This is a bomb card, 4 toughness is hard to kill in this set AND he pumps +2/+2 for each 1B you put into him, just from being able to cast him you should be able to attack with a 4/8 the next turn at least.  He doubles as a wall and a finisher.

Valid comments here.

I did recognize I had no gates but I took the jailbreaker anyway because I knew I wanted to stall and not only does the jailbreaker provide a decent butt, but he also has a good front end too so he can chip away at opposing forces if they decide to team swing.  For me he was competing with the shade, but the shade loses b/c it's double black weight and b/c it has no power unless you dump mana into it (and I'm tri-color).  I mostly want to minimize the number of double color weight cards in the deck, but you do make a relevant argument and the shade may be worth a slot.

I took Jarad's orders b/c I do have 3 bombs: Hellkite, Archweaver, and Hellsteed.  This can fetch me any of them, which one I pick depends on how much mana I've got for next turn.  As for putting stuff in the dustbin, if the scorpion's already out of your deck you can always just fail to find a second creature and just put the first one in your hand.

Personally I don't care so much for salvage in this deck, but I can see the reasoning behind wanting a digging card.

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

I tried something a little different: selesny splashing black:

This Deck was built in 0:14:15

16 Lands
---------------
7 Forest
6 Plains
3 Swamp

13 Creatures
---------------
1 Centaur's Herald
1 Concordia Pegasus
1 Dryad Militant
2 Gatecreeper Vine
1 Judge's Familiar
2 Korozda Guildmage
1 Risen Sanctuary
1 Sluiceway Scorpion
2 Towering Indrik
1 Trestle Troll

11 Other Spells
---------------
1 Avenging Arrow
1 Call of the Conclave
1 Civic Saber
1 Common Bond
1 Ethereal Armor
2 Eyes in the Skies
1 Giant Growth
1 Knightly Valor
1 Savage Surge
1 Swift Justice

it's got a low agressive curve, and reach with the 2 guildmages providing intimidation.
it doesn't seem strong enough tho so will prob end up going RBG:

This Deck was built in 0:07:54

17 Lands
---------------
5 Forest
5 Mountain
5 Swamp
1 Blood Crypt
1 Transguild Promenade

13 Creatures
---------------
1 Carnival Hellsteed
1 Centaur's Herald
1 Dryad Militant
2 Gatecreeper Vine
2 Hellhole Flailer
2 Korozda Guildmage
1 Perilous Shadow
1 Sluiceway Scorpion
2 Towering Indrik

10 Other Spells
---------------
2 Annihilating Fire
1 Auger Spree
1 Civic Saber
1 Deviant Glee
1 Giant Growth
1 Mind Rot
1 Rakdos Charm
1 Rakdos Keyrune
1 Traitorous Instinct

It seems like most people think this pool is basically a Jund no-brainer, and I can't disagree.  Green/Golgari stalling into Red/Rakdos bombs seems quite playable.

This Deck was built in 0:09:09

18 Lands
---------------
4 Forest
5 Mountain
6 Swamp
1 Blood Crypt
2 Transguild Promenade

13 Creatures
---------------
1 Carnival Hellsteed
1 Cobblebrute
1 Dryad Militant
2 Gatecreeper Vine
2 Hellhole Flailer
2 Korozda Guildmage
1 Sluiceway Scorpion
1 Tenement Crasher
1 Trestle Troll
1 Utvara Hellkite

9 Other Spells
---------------
1 Abrupt Decay
2 Annihilating Fire
1 Auger Spree
2 Cremate
1 Deviant Glee
1 Grave Betrayal
1 Grisly Salvage

I like this Izzet control build

This Deck was built in 0:16:54

18 Lands
---------------
8 Island
8 Mountain
1 Swamp
1 Blood Crypt

13 Creatures
---------------
1 Batterhorn
1 Carnival Hellsteed
2 Cobblebrute
1 Goblin Electromancer
1 Judge's Familiar
1 Nivix Guildmage
1 Stealer of Secrets
1 Tenement Crasher
1 Utvara Hellkite
1 Vassal Soul
2 Voidwielder

9 Other Spells
---------------
2 Annihilating Fire
1 Auger Spree
1 Blustersquall
1 Electrickery
1 Inaction Injunction
2 Paralyzing Grasp
1 Rakdos Keyrune

Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]