Dungeons and Dragons: The Book of Vile Darkness

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, in about two hours this new D&D movie (Yeah I know, I'm scared too.) is about to hit the "Syfy" (God I hate that name.) channel and unlike the other two, there are some semi-well known actors in there, like Meagan Good and James Rawlings. What's more, I've seen some people online saying they have already seen it, and they say it's really good. I posted this for a couple reasons.

First, I want to know if anyone else has seen this movie, and if anyone can speak to the quality of it.

Second, I want to know if anyone can speak to the acting ability of these people.

Third, I wanted to inform the community in case anyone is willing to do something incredibly brave and possibly foolish and watch the movie. I'm going to give it a chance, and I want you all to know, if I don't come back, it's because the crappy movie killed me.

So I just youtubed a trailer and it looked hilarious. I think at this point it's only saving grace is that it might qualify for "so bad it's good." Honestly don't think I can watch it now.

Edit: Holy hell. That movie did a lot of things I did not see coming. Going to get my two biggest, and really only complaints out of the way now. First, there are a couple points where the dialogue is slightly cheesy due to mild over-acting. I foudn this really easy to get over though, as it was both rare and minor. The second complaint is one single point where the special effects were cheesy. The rest of the special effects were actually well done. But believe it or not, this movie actually had a quality story.

The way it was portrayed was a bit simplistic, but there were some elements of dark and ironic parody in there that made me go, "Wait a sec, just what the hell am I actually watching?" I watched Wrath of the Dragon God once, and thought it was mediocre. I thought the first D&D movie was complete and utter garbage. But The Book of Vile Darkness is actually worth something, especially if you're a fan of the genre. I had a lot of fun de-coding all the little references and symbols they kept using, and again, their dark humorous way of poking fun at traditional fantasy tropes was actually well done.

The stage combat was about as good as what you would expect from a Star Wars prequel, so, not amazingly impressive, but far better than what I would have expected from a D&D movie. There are even points where it outshines every fight scene in Star Wars except for Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon vs. Darth Maul. I was so scared that this was going to be a total cheese-fest, but there was a lot of good fun to be had.
I watched it and i must say there's some good hits and bad misses. The story wasn't bad but there was some things i feel were unimpressive or disappointing, like the fake chainshirt instead of real chainmail and the Goliath painted skin. Some special effects were nice and some others a little wonky. While cool, the red dragon was not what a D&D dragon look like at all, with 6 eyes and only 2 legs rather than 4.  

I laughted when the merchant at the Adventurer's Vault ask the charater if he want to buy the heroic or paragon vicious weapon, bag of holding and knight armor :P

I wonder what role the D&D Community member who won the contest to feature in it has in the movie though.

[sblock]

When I saw it, I thought it looked a lot like the old 3e MM II Hellfire Wyrm.

Overall, yeah, I enjoyed it in the same way I would enjoy a forgettable action flick. It's certainly no Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings though.
I enjoyed this movie a great deal for what it was.  Im not sure how they were able to bill it with Meagan Good in it, as i didnt see her at all.  If someone could point out what role she was in that would be great.  I dont mind the cheesy lines really, i mean its D&D theres a lot of cheese automatically involved.  I did however think they could have ended it a little better, a little too fast and anticlimactic for me.
I enjoyed this movie a great deal for what it was.  Im not sure how they were able to bill it with Meagan Good in it, as i didnt see her at all.

SHe played Karima (according to iMDB). I have my DVR set to record it tonight.

Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Sign In to post comments