My first draft

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
If this is in the wrong forum i do apologise.

Tomorrow night i think im gonna participate in our stores draft as this will be my first draft EVER in magic i was wondering if there is anything i should be looking for.

As im sure there are some expensive cards i would probably want to keep (what ones are they) also as far as stratge goes what should i look for in monsters  stats? a certain color? certain keywords? im really not sure.

Im pretty certain im gonna get my butt handed to me but i expect that .

Anyway any advice would be awesome !!!!        
the acronym BREAD is useful

Bombs
Removal
Efficient spells
Aggro
Disruption (basically take cards you think other players might need, to mess with their deck)

draft the cards in this order
proud member of the 2011 community team
Don't be so certain that you will get your butt handed to you. The cool thing about booster draft is that it's mostly played by newbies and you are on a even playing field as oppose to something like modern or standard format where your playing with people who have built up their deck over time. Follow Enigma's advice, get the good cards first then some nice instants and then some two mana drop creatures and you should be fine. You should commit to a color or guild probably on your 4th or 5th pick

This blog is helpful too..
www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...
As im sure there are some expensive cards i would probably want to keep (what ones are they) also as far as stratge goes what should i look for in monsters  stats? a certain color? certain keywords? im really not sure.

I'm not sure if by "keep" you mean keep in your library to build your deck for the actual playing or keep as you walk out the door of the store at the end of the night. If you mean the latter, check to see if your store does rare redraft at the night. If they do, you will not get to (literally) keep the rares you drafted.

Thanks for the advice im really nervous
Thanks for the advice im really nervous

It is very easy to do that which is comfortable and familiar, but we learn more by doing that which is new and unfamiliar. It is more common than you think for new players to be really nervous about store events, for a variety of reasons. Take a deep breath and go have fun.

Well Painmaster, how did it go?
I'm also interested to know how it went.
I actually didnt play there was like 24 ppl who signed up and i had no clue as to what was good or bad so i just watched
I actually didnt play there was like 24 ppl who signed up and i had no clue as to what was good or bad so i just watched

You never know until you try. Did you get a feel for it at least and talk to some people about their strategy, or did you play any side games?

The best way is to just jump in there. First 3 picks try to find a powerful multicolored card that you can center your deck around and then draft every playable card you see in those two colors. It's hard to mess up too bad because even if you pick drainpipe vermin over the more powerful thrill-kill assassin you can still beat the opponent if you happened to snag a powerful rare like rakdos, lord of riots.

Next time you go I suggst force drafting an agressive R/B deck. Prioritize 2 CMC, and 3 CMC creatures or removal spells such as auger spree and stab wound. The deck is straightforward and easy to play a great way to start out. If you win AWESOME and if you lose then at least you're going home with a good time playing and havnig fun.
Don't be too smart to have fun
Sign In to post comments