Shaman/ Warlord Passive MBA Granting Guidance Counselor

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
6 PC's was previously defined and most (4/6) of the party APing every encounter is basically a given in Epic with moderate Op, so yeah, having 3-4 .5 KPR Strikers/Leaders and 2-3 .25 Controllers/Defenders will reliably drop 3 Standards in the first round.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
one of the most common (but dumbest) dm tricks to "challenge" players is to boost monster defenses. my rl dm gives minions +3. i have tried many, many times to explain why thats irritating rather than challenging, to no avail. 

An easier way for minions is to give them level+5 hit points instead of only damaged on a hit and then dead - most of the time, they're instant killed on a hit.

But it is hard to auto-kill them by doing a hp or 3 of damage. 
The really interesting way to make minions a whole lot scarier is to a: give them miss damage and b: have a way of reliably giving them temps.  Minions with temps are just mean, in a good way.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
i feel like we often ignore missing here on charOp. in a party of 5 medOp, at least one of them is going to miss every round on average. So yeah, i think killing 3 in the first round is hugely unrealistic unless everyone hits and most use action points.

one of the most common (but dumbest) dm tricks to "challenge" players is to boost monster defenses. my rl dm gives minions +3. i have tried many, many times to explain why thats irritating rather than challenging, to no avail.

1: Yes it was mentioned there are 6 players not 5.

2: I often do 2shot minions witha  threshold.  Like the minion can either take 2 hits, or 1 hit greater than X value (2 hits or 20hp in low heroic, 30hp in high heroic, 40 hp in low paragon etc.)  Keep minion popping a thing, while also giving the party something new.  I don't use these minions every time, but I do sprinkle them in every now and again.

3: Where did the OP go? 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Sign In to post comments