[Contest] You make the card that can make the card!

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
Design a card which creates tokens that are copies of famous non-creatue permanents! Most people around here probably know that I'm looking for innovation + mechanics + versatility + elegance, although that doesn't mean that other things are much less important for me..

There are four teams that I'll only judge (although you can have some comments for your other cards!) by their best cards, and that means that helping other people to improve their medium-quality cards might be the better choice than posting yet another medium-quality card..

I'm not sure if 3-4 days are enough to discuss everything that you want, and that's why this contest doesn't have an official deadline right now..

Team 1: "I like Browbeat and I like Family Guy!"
Team 2: "I like Browbeat, but I don't like Family Guy!" - Cisnero, magicpablo666, Fallingman, bay_falconer
Team 3: "I don't like Browbeat, but I like Family Guy!"
Team 4: "I don't like Browbeat and I don't like Family Guy!" - Glasir, Fenix

Edit: Apparently, nobody would ever admit watching Family Guy!
What if you liked the old Family Guy, but you don't think it's worth watching now?
You're free to interpret the statement as you wish, but maybe you simply could join the smaller team!
I don't always like family guy and I don't always like browbeat. Team 5?
Krark, the Many-Thumbed

Legendary Creature-Goblin
The "legend rule" doesn't apply for cards named Krark's Thumb.
, : Put a legendary artifact token with "Whenever you would flip a coin, instead flip two coins and ignore one" named Krark's Thumb into play.
"It's alright, I've got plenty to spare!"
2/2

Oh, and team 2.
Show
144902215 wrote:
Sometimes I imagine what Cisnero's life must be like. I imagine cargo pants - every pocket stuffed with coins. I imagine him (I almost said "him or her" but then I decided his gender with through the randomization of a small metal disk) - I imagine him, shopping, purchasing food, choosing which spot to park in, all through this meticulous flipping process. I imagine him asking a girl out, taking her to have a drink or whatever and then asking if she wants to play this fun game. When she responds "Sure." he removes a single quarter from one of his jingling pockets. Then proceeds to flip it repeatedly while she calls it - until she is able to make up an excuse to leave. Will he respond to this post? Only if the Chaotic Gods of Copper and Nickel deem it so. Someday many years from now, in the Dystopian future world, I'll ride my Billy Idol Unicycle past a bedraggled slumbub - He'll be clad in armor made all of the (now worthless) coins of yesterdecade. He'll grin a shiny grin at me as he flips another coin - and I'll know who it was. How could I not?
Somehow I am not at all surprised that that is your submission, Cisnero.  Not at all.

Darksteel Forger
Creature -- Human

, Sacrifice an artifact: Put a colorless artifact token named "Darksteel Relic" with "This permanent is indestructible" onto the battlefield.
, Sacrifice three indestructible artifacts: Put a colorless 11/11 artifact creature token named "Darksteel Colossus" with trample and "This creature is indestructible" onto the battlefield.

The plans for his greatest work are finished at last.  All that remains is to collect the raw material.

2/2 

Team 4 I guess.

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Angel of Pure Honor
Creature - Angel
Flying
When Angel of Pure Honor enters the battlefield or dies, put an enchantment token named "Honor of the Pure" onto the battlefield with "White creatures you control get +1/+1"
"She glorified us with her presence, and we will glorify her in her absence." - Breintar, Highland Paladin
4/4 
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
Crusade effects all white creatures

ban hexproof

"some stones should be left unturned" ~Urlock
Honor of the Pure only affects yours.

also, wat.  Stay on topic please. 

Queen Bee

Creature--Insect

Flying

: ~ gets +1/+1 until EOT.

, : Put a 0/1 green Insect token named Killer Bees onto the battlefield with flying and ": This creature gets +1/+1 until EOT." 0/1
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Thallothallid
Creature - Fungus Avatar (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a spore counter on Thallothallid.
Remove three spore counters from Thallothallid: Put a 1/1 green Fungus creature token named Thallid onto the battlefield. It has "At the beginning of your upkeep, put a spore counter on this creature" and "Remove three spore counters from this creature: Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield."
1/1
If you post a card here, then post your team as well so that other people from your team can help you! By the way, I'm really sorry that I made a mistake, I'm looking for tokens that are copies of some famous "non-creature" permanents.. Of course, tokens that are copies of some famous lands are pretty interesting, while tokens that are copies of some famous creatures already exist.. For example, there's a whole cycle of these cards from "Future Sight": Goldmeadow Lookout, Skirk Ridge Exhumer, Llanowar Mentor, Cloudseeder, Sparksmith..
Team Two! Hi Cisnero. Surprise Surprise, coin flipz.

Krark, the Many-Thumbed

Legendary Creature-Goblin
The "legend rule" doesn't apply for cards named Krark's Thumb.
, : Put a legendary artifact token with "Whenever you would flip a coin, instead flip two coins and ignore one" named Krark's Thumb into play.
"It's alright, I've got plenty to spare!"
2/2

Oh, and team 2.

I'm supposed to help you? Well, here is my little idea. Instead of having a cost and a tap, what if it were: "Whenever you win a flip put this artifact token onto the field of battle"? Just my little idea, feel free not to take it. But I love the idea of it starting out really slowly, but then growing exponentially once it picks up some momentum.

So. . . I was thinking about this. I'm wondering Cats, is it cool if I pick a card that has yet to be printed? I mean one from the forum? If so, would it have to be my own design, or could I pick someone else who has made an iconic and impressive card, and make a little spellshaper type thing out of that?

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Only famous non-creature permanents that were already printed, otherwise they're not famous enough! Also, I would have to grade the card that you copied, and that's something that I don't have to do when you're copying existing cards.. Don't forget that I made a mistake and that I'm looking for "non-creature" permanents..
Aw, I need to make a new entry in that case.  Darksteel Relic is not exactly famous (infamous, perhaps) and Colossus is a creature.

Okey dokey. No problem. I did not have one in mind.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Glasir, your card makes tokens of non-creature permanents, you don't have to change it! You're free to interpret "famous non-creature permanent" as you wish, I won't punish you when you choose one that I don't really consider being famous..
Aw, I need to make a new entry in that case.  Darksteel Relic is not exactly famous (infamous, perhaps) and Colossus is a creature.

I think s/he's just talking about the tokens? By the way, cool card, partner. I'm into DR. Made a terrible deck out of it.

Edit: Cat Ninja!

139359831 wrote:
Hurrah!

So, having pondered this - I am not of the opinion that non-creatures convert to tokens very well. Glasir's card being an exception to this. What is important in token creation is that the token is simple and easy to remember, because you lack rules text. Of course, I am a man who loves having 20 different kinds of tokens stinkin' up the place in EDH - but just because I like it doesn't make it something that should be printed. Out of the other permanent types, here are my thoughts: Enchantments - doesn't seem to work very flavourfully. Artifacts - most likely candidate. Artifacts are things that can be found in plenty. So are tokens. Lands - Not really into it, see Enchantments. I know that our judge is, but I just don't see token lands making sense from a flavour perspective. Maybe if it involved sacrificing other lands/permanents. Planeswalkers - ha!

So, my thoughts regarding non-creature artifacts? I'm really jealous of Glasir right now. He picked like the best one. Um. . . Chaos Orb?

How about this:

Jolly Rodder
Artifact Creature - Assembly Worker
, : Put an artifact token named "Null Rod" into play. It has "Activated abilities of artifacts can't be activated."

"But he doesn't do anything!"
"No, he
does nothing."

1/1

Probably a placeholder, unless my team likes it. My other thoughts, team-members were Lotus Petal, like an Eldrazi Token thing, and an Ophthalmologist that prescribes glasses

139359831 wrote:
Oh yeah, I forgot. Looks like I'm arbitrarily on team Two. Hey team!
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
The Big Cheese

Artifact Cheese

put a plague rats creature counter into play. Each Plague Rats's power and toughness are each equal to the number of creatures named Plague Rats on the battlefield.

I don't even know what Family guy is, and I am completely partial towards browbeat. Those team descriptions exclude me ;_;.

Aeon's Supplicant

Creature - Human Minion
, sacrifice all your permanents, pay half your life rounded up, discard your hand: Put a 15/15 colorless Eldrazi legendary creature token named Emrakul, the Aeons Thorn into play with "Flying, protection from colored spells, annihilator 6"
"If he could, he'd sacrifice more than 'everything' to bask in the glory of his Eldrazi deity for one last moment."
1/1

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
I'm not sure if the thing with the four teams works just as expected, so everyone may join a team of his or her choice if you think that it makes more sense to be in that other team.. Maybe we'll just end up with "team #02" and "people that aren't part of team #02", but it's hard to decide because many players just posted once and didn't even write down the number of their team.. Oh, I won't grade cards of people that simply read the criterion and then posted something without realizing that it's a team contest and that you're supposed to help other players!
Ok then. Put me in the team with the least amount of players at the time this closes.

192884403 wrote:
You have to know that before this contest ends, otherwise you can't help other players! And since nobody would ever admit watching Family Guy, there's only team #02 and team #04 now, and that means that you're on team #04..
Okay then, team 4 it is!

Can you please update the original post with the teams and who is in each?

192884403 wrote:
I just updated my opening post, and you're with Glasir! Don't forget that I'm looking for non-creature tokens..
Team 2 (confession: I do find Family Guy humorous; I'll be on team 1 if you wind up splitting the teams back).

I'll admit the original instructions were confusing, and I did not understand what I was supposed to do.

Cisnero: I agree with pablo, getting a Krark's thumb token should trigger from coin flips.  Perhaps Krark makes you flip a coin, if you lose the flip you take a damage or something, and if you win the flip you get one of his many thumbs.

Fallingman: I like it.  If it weren't for a certain card I might say it's too strong given how well it stacks with the actual card it emulates.

Pablo: You should give the token a name.

My entry:

Lotus Combine |
Artifact Creature — Construct (R)
, sacrifice two untapped lands: Put a land token named "Lotus Vale" onto the battlefield with ": Add three mana of any one color to your mana pool."
"With the advent of modern agricultural machinery, all of the growing city could be fed."
—History of Ravnica, vol. 8
3/3

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Okey dokey. Fallingman, I think your Enchantment token actually does work nicely. It almost feels like that Sorin Emblem thing. Nicely done.

FTK, Sure - I will do that. I think your flavour might be off. Lotus Vale has some wonderful Flavour Text. I don't think they're meant to be eaten. I'm thinking of ways to make this go infinite. It doesn't seem especially easy. I don't think that it is broken.

139359831 wrote:
Okey dokey. Fallingman, I think your Enchantment token actually does work nicely. It almost feels like that Sorin Emblem thing. Nicely done.

FTK, Sure - I will do that. I think your flavour might be off. Lotus Vale has some wonderful Flavour Text. I don't think they're meant to be eaten. I'm thinking of ways to make this go infinite. It doesn't seem especially easy. I don't think that it is broken.

Lotus are beautiful.

But lotus are also delicious.  Om nom nom

That may be mixing a bit too much realism into my flavor, but I'm hungry and I have a headache.  Until the latter goes away satisfying the former will just make me nauseous

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Oh weird. That's cute flavour then. I still think mass Lotus farms are a bad solution for Ravnica's giant and hungry collective maw - but we don't need to have a socio-political debate about how to solve the problems of a pretend world.

139359831 wrote:
Leonin Saber Volley
Sorcery
~ deals 3 damage to each creature target player controls. For each creature dealt damage this way, that player puts an Artifact - Equipment token onto the battlefield named Leonin Schimitar with "Equipped creature gets +1/+1" and "Equip ".

How to even word this thing.
I don't know where I fit on the Browbeat scale, you can probably put me on 4. Or 1, since teamwork isn't my thing, but that wouldn't be an accurate description of my opinions.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Anyone can join any team, just post your team and I'll edit my opening post! If some teams only consist of a single person, I'll only judge teams by their best card..
Team 2.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
This contest doesn't seem to work as team contest!
what teams ?

I don't always like family guy and I don't always like browbeat. Team 5?

I sometimes like family guy but almost never dislike browbeat. Now give me team 6.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Most people just posted one card and then didn't return, and some of them didn't even realize that it's a team contest! What now, am I supposed to grade your cards as though it was another "regular" contest?