For 5e, a New Setting

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Let 3rd party publishers have Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Greyhawk, and other locations. Give 5th edition a new setting, a setting of its own. That setting" 13th century Earth.

Why 13th century Earth?

Coherency. Frankly, next to M.A.R. Barker and E. Gary Gygax Ed Greenwood has no sense of history or culture. FR is a misorganized mess. Thirteenth century Earth would give the game a location with history and cultural interplay. We're talking about tons of reference works, which includes creatures from folklore and tons of plot hooks. It also means the necessity to focus on what was available in history and legend, instead of constantly devising meaningless new bling to attract players. Not more stuff, interesting stuff. Who says the goblins of China have to be like the goblins of France?

Let somebody else present a mishmash setting, 13th century Earth for D&D Next!
One dagger is a plot point. A thousand daggers is inventory. Thank you for disrailing this thread.
unfortunately, they already announced that its forgotten realms again
yeah license the old settings WotC, don't let them rot, a lot more people would get what they want
unfortunately, they already announced that its forgotten realms again

Everybody has the right to change their mind.
One dagger is a plot point. A thousand daggers is inventory. Thank you for disrailing this thread.
@frosthsof

Can you send me a reference for the FR being the default setting for 5e? I'm confident you're correct, but I hadn't heard anything official.  

FR is a hugely popular setting in terms of the books and video games, and has been since 2e. It makes sense that FR will be at the top of the list for campaign settings. I prefer to make my own, so I'm not very concerned about what they choose for the default setting.  

Having said that, it would be nice for people who don't create their own settings to have a change of pace.   
Let 3rd party publishers have Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Greyhawk, and other locations.

Not going to happen (at least, not the ones you've listed here by name). WOTC is going to keep its cash cows squarely under its thumb.

Give 5th edition a new setting, a setting of its own.

This I can support, and I do hope to see a new setting arise in 5E.
My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
WoTC didn't announce that Forgotten Realms would be the default setting for D&D Next, only that it would be supported.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

This I can support, and I do hope to see a new setting arise in 5E.

My purpose here is to get the setting the support it needs, which means focusing on that setting, with no distractions. Let third parties have the old settings, 13th century Earth all the way!

fwiw: that would make me unhappy. Very unhappy.

fwiw: that would make me unhappy. Very unhappy.

Only Wizards can do a setting for D&D Next?
Only Wizards can do a setting for D&D Next?

You said "Let 3rd party publishers have Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Greyhawk, and other locations. Give 5th edition a new setting, a setting of its own". That implies that WotC would specify the new default setting.

WoTC didn't announce that Forgotten Realms would be the default setting for D&D Next, only that it would be supported.

Certainly, but given the ginormity of Realms support leading up to (and into) 5e, it seems fairly semantic.

Certainly, but given the ginormity of Realms support leading up to (and into) 5e, it seems fairly semantic.

It would be a terrible idea to do so for the "default settings", because forgotten realms is way too detailed and restricted for new players (and for people that don't care for FR)
forgotten realms is way too detailed and restricted for new players

Off-topic: they could probably find room somewhere in the Realms for a less detailed, less restricted Vale of some sort.

fwiw: I too disliked the Realms for decades, before I discovered that it had effectively become the default D&D setting.

forgotten realms is way too detailed and restricted for new players

Off-topic: they could probably find room somewhere in the Realms for a less detailed, less restricted Vale of some sort.

fwiw: I too disliked the Realms for decades, before I discovered that it had effectively become the default D&D setting.

I still think the best way to go is for a "skeleton base settings" as default, basically some general information, maybe some not as detailed cosmology and planes description and some general descriptions of how things works on the world...but the rest up to the DM and players to basically them it their own (and also being able to insert some stuff from other settings into it)
I say 13th century Earth because there are tons of resources. And libraries are always available.

And there's a ton of stuff that hasn't made it on the Web yet.
As a big D20 Modern/Masque of the Red Death/other RPGs with an Earthy setting, I would love a Dark Age Earth (with or without fantasy elements) setting!  It helps that I love Arthurian Legend and Chivalric Romance, classic Sword and Sorcery.  Now, I don't know if this would be the best idea for a new setting because it wouldn't be too hard to refluff the content in Birthright or Greyhawk to fit that description.  For a new setting, Wizards has to strive for something unique, appealing, not really seen before that can appeal to old and new players alike.  While they tried this with the Vale, it felt like a bunch of haphazardly mish-mashed elements of previous settings that didn't appeal in the slightest.  I'm talking a can of fresh air, like the introduction of Eberron!  But, at the same time, there are so many settings that many haven't heard or played before.

As for a "default setting", I'd prefer that there is no default.  Now, I LOOOOOVE the Realms (Well, pre-spellplague) but I really don't want it to be an assumed default.  In my opinion, core settings plague everything else.  We've seen it with 3.5 with greyhawk-esque content appearing everywhere as an assumption and then in 4.0 with Points of Light shoehorning into every setting (I'm still less than happy about that.)  While it can attract new people to a setting they probably wouldn't buy otherwise, it has a less than helpful tendency to cause waves of backlash for fandoms devoted to said settings.  (Hell hath no fury like the Forgotten Realms fandom!)

The Knights of W.T.F. may as well be ghosts, but the message still stays;

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
  • PRAISE THE SUN!