10/22/2012 Feature: "Modern Masters Explained"

153 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of the feature article "Modern Masters Explained", which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.
lel
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
Sooooo...one of those Mythic Rares is Tarmogoyf, right?
There hands are tied, because they say they are, not for any real reason.  The reserve list was a good idea in the beginning, but sticking by it now only limits the game.  There are cards on it that could be reprinted and not hurt the game, but WOTC seems bound and determined to stay the course on it despite a large amount of support for loseining those reins.

Yes Chronicles might have been a mistake, but does that mean you have to throw the baby out with the bathwater?

This is a good step in the right direction, but ultimately the reserve list will continue to be a problem.

I also wonder, will people be able to buy an unlimited amount of these packs online?  Im assuming they will have a short window of availablity like the previous masters sets, but how long? 
There is an inherent challenge when trying to increase the availablity of cards and at the same time not water them down too much to annoy collectors. I think this product as a whole is a great idea, its just up to you guys to get the quanitys right. If this is treated like a FTV product I doubt this will have as much impact as many modern players want, and will probably be overpirced past MSRP and hoarded up by LGS. Anything over that though will most likely have an effect on modern prices which collectors wouldn't like. Honestly i'm not sure how many people would consider themselves collectors of rare modern staples and would be upset by these reprints since it would virtually lower the price of lots of cards they have been saving for a while. Personally i'm all for making cards more available so I love the idea of a Modern Masters set, i'm just curious to see how it works out for both sides of the magic community.
I fully support this product and will do so until someone manages to convince me otherwise.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
I was under the impression that the purpose for reprinting Modern cards was to make them more easily available to the players.  How does making a small print run that won't significantly affect their availability accomplish this?
I second what Youwashock said.  The Reserved List needs to go.  Obviously some cards on it need never be printed again for power reasons (Lotus, Moxes, Walk, Ancestral, Library), but >90% of the cards on the list would be perfectly fair to have around.  Even dual lands were $20 cards before the SCG Open Series caused a Legacy price explosion.  The Reserved List was an overreaction to Chronicles and needs to be consigned to the trash heap once and for all.

Full disclosure:  I don't own a single Magic card and have no financial interest in the presence or absence of a Reserved List one way or another. 
It sounds like a great idea, Aaron.  I actually wonder if it would be better to have a larger print run with a higher MSRP, to limit the degree of rationing/shortages, but I guess we'll see.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
I have absolutely no idea why you give a single care to "collectors" when it comes to modern business.  Major retailer should bank on sealed product and the singles figure themselves out.  I'm pumped for Modern Masters but I really wish the plan was to print more than enough.  No one is upset about the Shocklands coming back and if they are they can talk to me and I'll personally tell them to get over it.
"Our goal with creating Modern was to make an eternal format which we could keep accessible via reprints which keep the prices of hot cards down, which we cannot do with Legacy. However, reprints make people who invest in unstable cardstock cry. Therefore, we aren't going to make any reprints that have a real impact on card prices. Yes, we realise this contradicts the entire point of the Modern format. Deal with it."
I was under the impression that the purpose for reprinting Modern cards was to make them more easily available to the players.  How does making a small print run that won't significantly affect their availability accomplish this?


^exactly this, i have a bad feeling its going to turn out like FTV products and just sold way over MSRP which wont make these cards any more available to people than they already are really
I was under the impression that the purpose for reprinting Modern cards was to make them more easily available to the players.  How does making a small print run that won't significantly affect their availability accomplish this?


^exactly this, i have a bad feeling its going to turn out like FTV products and just sold way over MSRP which wont make these cards any more available to people than they already are really



Ditto
hmmm.... i hope that after the intial print is sold out they still continue to print it in small quantities solely for tournaments


but yes this sounds awesome, especialy for some one who's budget is low and couldn't aford to get Tarmogoyfs, now my dreams of playing modern competitively can finaly be realized, i wonder wich dual land cycle they are going to use since both shock and fetch lands are out of the question (assuming a dual cycle will be reprinted)...
all of my randoms:
Show
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
That art has to be City of Brass, and a Bat token can only come from Belfry Spirit, Sengir Nosferatu, or Skeletal Vampire.

I support this product, and hope it's a massive success so that there will be more like it to follow. I'm glad to see that WotC's PR this time around is much better than "Oh btw there's a reserved list card in this product--we found a loophole!"

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed


Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

I think it's a cool idea, but I'd rather just increase the availability of the cards, shocklands have come back and are still over $10 so no price drop has occurred. I just hope my neighboring stores will hold some draft dates for the format, I love me some draft.
Also, are we going to see banned modern cards? I love equipment, but missed on Stoneforge Mystic.
but yes this sounds awesome, especialy for some one who's budget is low and couldn't aford to get Tarmogoyfs, now my dreams of playing modern competitively can finaly be realized, i wonder wich dual land cycle they are going to use since both shock and fetch lands are out of the question (assuming a dual cycle will be reprinted)...

If you couldn't afford to get Tarmogoyfs before this product, you won't be able to get Tarmogoyfs after it's released. It's not going to get cheaper because barely any will be introduced into the market.

It's hilarious how misleading this entire product is.

"Our goal with creating Modern was to make an eternal format which we could keep accessible via reprints which keep the prices of hot cards down, which we cannot do with Legacy. However, reprints make people who invest in unstable cardstock cry. Therefore, we aren't going to make any reprints that have a real impact on card prices. Yes, we realise this contradicts the entire point of the Modern format. Deal with it."

This best sums it up.
but yes this sounds awesome, especialy for some one who's budget is low and couldn't aford to get Tarmogoyfs, now my dreams of playing modern competitively can finaly be realized, i wonder wich dual land cycle they are going to use since both shock and fetch lands are out of the question (assuming a dual cycle will be reprinted)...


If you couldn't afford to get Tarmogoyfs before this product, you won't be able to get Tarmogoyfs after it's released. It's not going to get cheaper because barely any will be introduced into the market.

It's hilarious how misleading this entire product is.



This. Best case scenario, goyf goes down from a 100 dollar card, to maybe a 50 to 75 dollar card.
If you tie your investments to magic cards, then its your own fault if a reprint makes you take a bath on that investment.  Why does WOTC feel so beholden to people who horde cards as an investment?
The way they describe modern seems like they don't want to really be commital on anything.

Being half-hearted is not the way to go.  Gutsy decsions and changes are what have kept the game goiing in more recent years.  The idea of new cards in the base set or a base set that rotated every year where unheard of till WOTC actually tried them.

Worry about the people playing your game, not people hording cards to sell at a later date.
Insert obligatory remark about how Chronicles was most definitely NOT a mistake.  Even if we take respecting the current card price into consideration so as not to burn people who will "feel cheated" or something for paying more for the cards...  Chronicles was an unusual situation.  Supply on the West Coast of Arabian Nights / etc. was far higher than the East Coast, and international distribution was probably a trainwreck as well.  It's entirely possible that people in certain regions never even had a chance to buy packs at the MSRP, so the prices were artificially high thanks to Magic's suprising success making demand far greater than supply.  Anyway, card is valuable because it was popular and sees tourney play?  Fine.  Card is valuable because there was a tiny printing and you happened to live near a shop that sold the set?  No, that's just a plain supply chain issue, reprinting it is "fair."

Anyway, here's hoping that the set is a large enough printing to move the needle at least a little.
Also, are we going to see banned modern cards? I love equipment, but missed on Stoneforge Mystic.

Aaron said in the video announcement that no cards that are currently on the banned list are included in Modern Masters, so no Stoneforge for you. They also tried to keep away from cards they had their eye on for potential banning in the future. However, if something goes massively wrong between now and June there's always the possibility that something will be banned that happens to already be in Modern Masters.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed


Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

I think a normal print run for this product (or maybe a little less) should be fine. Magic has reached new hights and there are way more players then back in Future Sight (in case of goyf). The shock duals are reprinted but still fairly expansive, so why cant you do that with goyf? It would still be a 30,- card.. Which seems like a fair, instead of overpriced, price.

I have 3 Dark Confidants myself, but I wouldnt mind if they dropped to 5/10 so more people can get them. Because I want modern what you claim it should be: a format where money shouldnt be such an issue. Does that mean everything should be below 10? No, but I dont want to spent 70,- for each tarmogoyf as well. If tarmogoyf doesnt go below 40, this product is pointless.

Also take in mind, I have been playing modern seriously, without goyfs. If goyfs drop, I am one of the people who wants it, thus increasing the demand. I am very affraid that instead of brining to much cards into the market, you will have to little impact with this product.

Final note: You have stated from the beginning that modern cards would get reprints, everyone knew this was coming, and even now people can sell their cards before previews roll in. Collectors need to adapt. Players go before collectors in my eyes.
I think that this is a great idea however, as has been mentioned already, I'm seriously worried about the price that these are going to end up at and the undoubted shortages of the product that will occur here in the UK due to the limited print run.

A prime example would be the FTV boxsets after the Dragons. Although the RRP for these here was £49.99 my local FLGS was selling them at upto £109.99 - over double the stated RRP. When I asked him why, he stated the fact that he could virtually charge what he wanted as the limited supply in the UK meant that people who wanted them would pay whatever was asked for them.

Unless WotC put their foot down and say you will be only allowed to sell this product at this price then I personally think that this will happen again - assuming that the distribution is fair across the globe and not lopsided in favour of the USA FLGS. If the lopsided distribution happens then I think that alot of players in the UK will be disappointed by WotC once more.
A lot of people seem to be thinking of "collectors" as people who hoard expensive cards in a backroom, probably around some sort of shrine. The first thing I thought of when hearing "collectors", was "second market card shops", eg Star City Games.

And that would make a lot more sense why Wizards wants to keep them from losing (too) much money on investments/merchandise value. After all, the tournaments they organize fuel a lot of the investments players make in the game, especially in limited tourneys where you are essentially buying product.

Most tournaments can in best case scenario barely break even, most of the time organizers even lose money on them. They are just a means to an end, that end being selling product, side products such as sleeves, and -most importantly- individual cards for constructed formats. So from a bussiness standpoint, I can perfectly understand their reasoning.

However, since these cardshops are also the ones in control of distributing the Modern Masters, which can potentially threaten their income as an alternative for the expensive individual cards, I'm pretty skeptical about being able to pick up a satisfying amount of product at the "low low" price of 7 bucks
This product is designed to be self-contradictory.  It will allow players to pick up Modern staples while having only a marginal effect on the total supply (and thus the total price).  The only way for this product to really be a success from WotC's perspective is for it to significantly increase the supply of Modern cards while proportionately increasing the demand (and it sounds like this product won't be printed enough to significantly increase the popularity of Modern).

Unlike with rare Legacy staples, no one is complaining about the price of Dark Confidant or Tarmogoyf because they can't find them anywhere.  They are complaining because they don't want to pay $30-$100 per card.  The only way for WotC to address these complaints is to significantly increase supply, so that the price drops.  WotC's only response to collectors/stores whose cards lose value is that a rising tide lifts all ships and that lowering the price of the most overcosted Modern staples will significantly increase the format's popularity and thus increase demand for more Modern cards and raise the value of Modern legal cards overall.

For now, we can hope that Aaron's talk about only fractionally increasing card availability is mostly just posturing to stores in order to avoid another Chronicles backlash and that when this product actually comes it that it will have some small but helpful effect on card prices. 
This might actually get me into Modern (along with the fact that all my Extended decks have rotated).

Hopefully next year I will be a position to get a box and draft it.

~ Tim 
  
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
I approach this subject as someone who probably has all of the "ye olde" modern staples I require, including a playset of goyfs and dark confidants, and since I do not wish to sell or dispose of them so I am neither adversesly or positively affected by any drop in the secondary market. Hopefully that makes me unbiased (beyond my earth-shattering hatred for mythics...).

I applaud the idea of putting more of the modern staples into circulation so that the "have-nots" can play. However, I think the manner in which this is being proposed (ie. limited numbers, higher price) is likely to do only one thing: sell a premium product to those with money. The few Goyfs which slip through the net and find their way to have-nots are likely to get those fleeced off of them anyway.

So, a step in the right direction, but remain sceptical it will have the stated desired effect. Sanding $10 off a $100 card isn't going to make assembling a playset any easier.

I am 100% covinced however that traders will thank you for giving them product that it makes more sense to open for singles than to sell on.
I was under the impression that the purpose for reprinting Modern cards was to make them more easily available to the players.  How does making a small print run that won't significantly affect their availability accomplish this?

I'm still cautiously optimistic, but yeah, it worries me, and I'd love to hear a ballpark as to how small "small" is. One-tenth of an expert expansion print run? One-hundredth? I mean if they're doing a GP and encouraging players to draft it it can't be FTV levels, but I do worry that it won't do enough.

but yes this sounds awesome, especialy for some one who's budget is low and couldn't aford to get Tarmogoyfs, now my dreams of playing modern competitively can finaly be realized, i wonder wich dual land cycle they are going to use since both shock and fetch lands are out of the question (assuming a dual cycle will be reprinted)...

Shadowmoor filter lands would be the most logical choice; they see some Modern play at least. I think it's quite likely there aren't duals though, as the most popular ones were just reprinted or are too recent.

blah blah metal lyrics
Question no one has asked yet: Does this mean the mulitplayer products (Archenemy et. al.) are dead? Will this be a yearly occurrence? We already know we're getting Commander cards every year in what was the Premium Deck Series slot.

Beyond the card availability issue, it will be pretty sweet to get another draft format. I really just want enough of this printed that we can get in a meaningful number of draft reps. It would be lame if the price of boosters soared above the already high MSRP and availability was so low that stores couldn't run more than a draft or two. Part of the fun of drafting is exploring a format, and if the archetypes are as meaty-but-weird as Aaron is suggesting, that'll take some practice.
I cannot wait to see what online retailers set the initial playset price at.
People complaining that this is a short run need to understand that if they underprint it, they can always reprint it or make Modern Masters 2014 or something. If they overprint it and there's a worst case scenario where they cause a price crash on every Modern staple (from reprinting them in large quantities AND every collector dumping the rest of their Modern because they pânic that they're going to crash the market again) and the resulting bad will causes an exodus from the game, that's it, they can't go back on the decision. When you're doing something unprecedented, you go conservative. In any case the best case scenario if they print a large run is much less good than the worst case scenario is bad.

Demand should already be lower just because of 6.99$ MSRP so even if they were to print a regular print run, it might just end up being a gigantic commercial flop. They'll gauge the reaction and decide how to proceed from there.
There hands are tied, because they say they are, not for any real reason.  The reserve list was a good idea in the beginning, but sticking by it now only limits the game.  There are cards on it that could be reprinted and not hurt the game, but WOTC seems bound and determined to stay the course on it despite a large amount of support for loseining those reins.

If you read between the lines of many things people have said about the reserve list, it's abundantly clear there are Lawyers involved. Mark Rosewater saying on Tumblr "No, I'm NOT ALLOWED TO TALK about why I'm not allowed to talk about the Reserve List" and so on. The Reserve List isn't going anywhere due to factors outside R&D's control. They have to work within that constraint.

This is hopefully different to the From the Vault sets. FTV is designed as a "thank you" set for FLGS, where local stores are deliberately permitted to raise the selling price way above MSRP as a way to get some extra cash. 

DarkAngel is right that it's sensible for WOTC to be conservative about this. They can always crank the printing levels up, cautiously, but if they print too much they can't recall it in any sensible way.

When Modern was introduced it was made clear that the cards would be reprinted, you are now giving "collectors" another 8months notice on that.

There is simply no need or reason to restrict the number of these old cards being printed, if they have chosen not to off load their collection then that is their problem.

Without a very large injction of new cards the prices of Modern staples will barely change, if there is a large influx of new players then the prices may well still go up!

Also, please don't lie to us...The price is not to keep it out of the hands of new players, it is because you want to make more money.
It sounds like a lot of players simply have no idea what happened after Chronicles; and are making up their own ideas of the result of set that would be identical to it in reason.

These players don't realize that if Wizards makes the same mistake again, and a new Reserve List gets created because of it, all of Modern is forfeited to the heavy investors, guaranteed. We may want this, and want that, but sometimes players have to show constraint and temperence. 

Also, please don't lie to us...The price is not to keep it out of the hands of new players, it is because you want to make more money.



You realize that another reason they gave for the price was that the cards in the packs are going to be better than an average booster pack.  No lands, guaranteed foil, tokens for older sets, and good cards makes the pack worth the price (assuming what they say holds true).

However, I don't think that a price difference will be enough to deter a new player with money from buying them for an FNM and finding out that it doesn't work.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
I'm petrified at what this will do for MODO. There is no way to control the print run of this set aside from limiting the time that it's available (like is done with Cube). Still, that is not a guarantee to not completely crash the prices of cards since one can reasonably conduct a dozen, or more, drafts over the span of one week online, whereas they could only do a handful in paper. Just look at the price of packs following the first couple of Cube offerings as a prime example, except that in this case, the demand for the product will not steadily grow like draft packs do. There is only a fininte # of people that will have any interest in Modern.

I anxiously await word on the details for MODO, but I have no hope that this will actually drive more people to play the format when they can have zero confidence that their investment will hold any value long term. I guess if every card is $0.50, then that doesn't matter, though.

This game survived the debacle that was Chronicles because of it's collectbility...which in turn means that the Reserve List did exactly what it was supposed to do. I was around during the time of Chronicles and know exactly how much people were upset that their cards went from $30+ to $1.50 over night. People quit left and right because of this...the Reserve List kept some on the fence from leaving, and might have brought others back, but the damage was already done.

This product sets a dangerous precedant that basically says WotC will do whatever it feels like if it means more money, rather than preserve the integrity of a collectable card game.
I'm petrified at what this will do for MODO. There is no way to control the print run of this set aside from limiting the time that it's available (like is done with Cube).



Every booster is generated separately. So yes, they can decide exactly how many boosters they will generate for MODO.

And a question: why is reprinting fetch lands out of the question? They are exactly the sort of card that should be reprinted.

Go draft, young man, go draft!

I'm petrified at what this will do for MODO. There is no way to control the print run of this set aside from limiting the time that it's available (like is done with Cube).



Every booster is generated separately. So yes, they can decide exactly how many boosters they will generate for MODO.



You mean exaclty like they do with FTV?
Screw "collectors". Get cards into the hands of people who actually want to play them, lower the barrier for entry into Modern, expand your player base.  For every huffy Collector who throws a hissy-fit because you devalued his cardboard, you'll have a bunch of players getting into Modern for the first time and thus buying more cards from you.

Do you want Modern to be the accessible eternal format, or not?  If you keep being stingy with the reprints it's just going to have all the same barrier to entry problems as Legacy, and the whole point of inventing Modern was to have an eternal format without the problems of Legacy. Wasn't it?
I'm petrified at what this will do for MODO. There is no way to control the print run of this set aside from limiting the time that it's available (like is done with Cube).



Every booster is generated separately. So yes, they can decide exactly how many boosters they will generate for MODO.



You mean exaclty like they do with FTV?



I'm not sure about FTV, but sets that see limited play have print runs on MODO too, and boosters don't just appear in the store based on demand. AFAIK, there is a pool of pregenerated boosters available, and which of these boosters you get is determined randomly when you open the booster.

Go draft, young man, go draft!

I really have trouble sheadding a tear for you players that snivel and wine about the reserve list. If you game is so poor that you need those cards to make it exciting again--your pitiful.

Take the P9 for example. Would their value be where it is today if it were not for collectors? Cards that can only be played in one legal format, and then only one of each? The BL is worthless if you don't get it out in the first few turns. The abilities of many of the good cards on the list have been duplicated and even improved in some of the later sets (all be it at higher mana cost or other mechanics to restrict their power).

And those of you that disdain us collectors in favor of modern business, what a pity you can only see dollar signs in a truly historic game. This game has had more people play it at least for a time in their lives than I would guess most other table games. It has outlasted all the other card games published in the first several years of this new game design and only a couple spin offs are still popular.

But, your right, we don't contribute hardly anything to the Hasbro bottom line. We have made some speculators and secondary market people pretty happy though.

And at that time when things like honor and ethics are no longer valued in our society, it will only stand to reason they should be trashed in favor of making money.

Gary Adkison