Chronomancer as 3/3.5 Prestige Class

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi all, I'm new here, hope I'm doing this right and posting correctly.

I'm doing a bit of world-building for my first campaign as DM, and after reviewing my books I'm planning on using 3rd/3.5 edition mechanics.  But I found my old Chronomancer book from back in 2nd edition, and was instantly struck by the notion of adapting it into a prestige class.  After a (admittedly cursory) search, there didn't seem to be any other attempts to do this, so I sat down and worked at making my own design.  I've come up with what I think is a good adaptation, but I have no experience with custom-made anything in D&D, and I'm concerned about game balance.  Plus, I kinda want to show it off...would there be interest from anyone here in seeing/reviewing/critiquing what I've made, or have I come to the wrong place for that?  Thanks in advance!
I'd love to take a look at it. I'm not familiar with the 2e class, but I get the gist of the class through morphemes. Chrono - time. Mancer - mage. 

Some googling brought this up. My term was 3.5 chronomancer. www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Chronomancer_(3.5e_Prestige_Class)
www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t... 

I'd probably look at haste/slow and timestop for starters and give them use per day as class features or spell like abilities. 

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"                                                  "I'd recommend no one listed to Krusk's opinions about what games to play"

Thanks!  While the book I have is primarily about the class, there's also a bunch of other info too, which I'll try to summarize before going into the technical details of the design (warning: I tend to get long-winded, but I hope you'll bear with me).

The main idea introduced in the Chronomancer book is that of a "pseudo-plane" known as Temporal Prime.  While the term "pseudo-plane" implies that it's "not quite" a plane, it'd be more accurate to say that it's actually much more than a plane of existence: it's a fundamental dimension of reality, part of (and influencing) all of existence and every one of the "regular" planes.  However, just like the "regular" planes, Temporal Prime and its related forces can be used and/or accessed via magical energies (in this case, arcane energies as the 2E Chronomancer is a Wizard variant).  With sufficiently powerful magics (and advanced training), it's possible to enter and traverse Temporal Prime, which has its own (albeit unusual) environment and lifeforms, as well as hazards resulting from them (these are listed in the book, but I'm not going to include them here); successfully navigating through them would bring the Chronomancer (plus whatever and whomever he's brought) to a different point in history.  Doing so obviously brings complications to a campaign world, as a DM would have to worry about the impact on interacting with the future and past, but it could also make for a really interesting adventure, which is why I tried to create a design that could be truncated if a DM didn't want to deal with the hassle, or used in full if the DM's willing to try it.  This is what I came up with...

Chronomancer
Requirements--
Alignment: Any non-chaotic
Feats: Spell Mastery (Haste and/or Slow)
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) 8 ranks, Knowledge (History) 8 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks

Class Skills: Concentration, Knowledge (any), Scry, Speak Language, Spellcraft, Craft, Profession
Skill Points at each level: 2+INT modifier
Proficiencies: No additional weapon/armor proficiencies
Class Features--
Lvl     BAB     Fort     Refl     Will        Spells/day      Special
1        +0       +0       +0      +2      +1 lvl Wizard     Timebender
2        +1       +0       +0      +3      +1 lvl Wizard     Spell Extension
3        +1       +1       +1      +3      +1 lvl Wizard     Reality Manipulation
4        +2       +1       +1      +4      +1 lvl Wizard     Time Traveler
5        +2       +1       +1      +4      +1 lvl Wizard     Transcendent Culturist
6        +3       +2       +2      +5      +1 lvl Wizard     Lifeline Tracker
7        +3       +2       +2      +5      +1 lvl Wizard     Temporal Mastery
8        +4       +2       +2      +6      +1 lvl Wizard     Time Lord
9        +4       +3       +3      +6      +1 lvl Wizard     Lifeline Manipulation
10      +5       +3       +3      +7      +1 lvl Wizard     Sever Lifeline

Spells Per Day: When a new Chronomancer level is gained, he gets new spells per day as if he had gained a level in his pre-existing Wizard class (as I understand it, the required Spell Mastery feat is only available to Wizards).  Also, the Chronomancer adds 2 free spells (of levels he can cast) to his spellbook in the same manner as a Wizard, provided that at least one of those spells is from the Chronomancy spell list (the book included a whole set of spells for the class, some of which I've restructured; I won't write the details in this post, but will try to give a summary below).
Timebender: The Chronomancer's studies have produced knowledge of arcane magics that allow him to indirectly wield the forces of Temporal Prime.  He may learn spells of level 1-4 from the Chronomancy spell list.
Spell Extension: The Chronomancer gains the Extend Spell feat.
Reality Manipulation: The Chronomancer's understanding of Temporal Prime allows him to direct magical energies not at objects or lifeforms, but at the temporal forces that have shaped reality, making it difficult to avoid the effects of his spells.  The Chronomancer's WIS modifier is added to the save DC of any spell he casts (it's cumulative with bonuses from Spell Focus feats, though I'm considering limiting it to spells from the Transmutation school).
Time Traveler: The Chronomancer's studies have become sufficiently advanced that he has learned how to enter Temporal Prime itself and potentially alter history.  He may learn spells of level 5-7 from the Chronomancy spell list.  If a DM doesn't want to deal with the hassle of changing his game world's history, then the Chronomancer prestige class ends at level 3; otherwise, onward!
Transcendent Culturist: The Chronomancer, having experienced different eras, can now use his Speak Language skill to learn past & future dialects of any language, and his Knowledge (History) skill can be applied to past & future events.  Note that extensive experience in a particular era--or alterations to the timestream--by this or other Chronomancers can alter the DC of the Knowledge check.
Lifeline Tracker: One of the only landmarks on the largely featureless "landscape" of Temporal Prime is a system of silvery, threadlike "lifelines" that trace out the existence of every lifeform in reality.  Every Time Traveler must use them for navigation up and down the timestream, and a Chronomancer at this stage of experience is now capable of identifying individual ones more readily.  If the Chronomancer can recognize a creature by sight when transitioning to Temporal Prime, he can locate that creature's lifeline within 1 round.  Examining the lifeline will allow the Chronomancer to determine its beginning and end (and thus attain a reasonably accurate estimation of its lifespan), and if he maintains focus on it when returning to reality from Temporal Prime, he can arrive within 1d100 x10 yards of that creature (in the chosen time period).
Temporal Mastery: The Chronomancer has gained familiarity with temporal-related magics.  He gains the Spell Mastery feat (as a Wizard), but may only choose spells for this feat from the Chronomancy spell list.
Time Lord: Because I'm a Doctor Who fan. ;)  The Chronomancer's prowess with magics controlling Temporal Prime can now proceed without limit.  He may learn spells of level 8-9 from the Chronomancy spell list.
Lifeline Manipulation: The Chronomancer's connection to Temporal Prime is strong enough that he can advance (or regress) the age of a creature with INT 2 or more with a touch (shortening or extending that creature's lifeline).  The maximum age alteration is 2 years per Chronomancer level, and must be decided upon to the nearest month upon physical contact with the intended target.  The aging/de-aging process occurs at the rate of 1 year per turn, and cannot restore life to the dead; also, the Chronomancer cannot age the same creature more than once ever, and cannot de-age the same creature more than once ever (though he can age and then de-age the same creature).  However, a creature can receive Lifeline Manipulation multiple times, each time from a different Chronomancer.  As this ability (in either form) is extremely draining, the Chronomancer cannot prepare any new spells until he's rested for at least 24 hours after using Lifeline Manipulation, and cannot use the ability (in either form) again until a month has passed (from his perspective).  A Chronomancer cannot use this ability on his own lifeline.
Sever Lifeline: Every creature with an existence in reality has a lifeline representing its linear existence; even though Chronomancers may skip forward and backward, they too have a linear existence that is woven in among the rest of the lifelines at every span where they lived in reality.  The one incontrovertible rule of having a linear existence is: there can be no overlap in your own lifeline.  But at 10th level, the Chronomancer will have determined a ritual that will permanently detach himself from his own lifeline; it will be the end of his linear existence, but not the end of his life.  If the Chronomancer chooses to enact the Sever Lifeline ritual, he becomes a nonlinear entity and is henceforth considered a native of Temporal Prime.  He no longer ages and cannot be affected by lifeline-related effects, and may "double" himself when visiting reality (including visiting his former, linear-existing self).

So, that's the basics of the design (and as you can see, even the basics get complicated when describing them...hope it wasn't boring).  I adapted a couple of the book's Chronomancy spells into special abilities; the rest of the spells I'll briefly list below (I changed a few of their levels from where the book had them):

Level 1--
Advance/Delay Image: Reversible Illusion spell that puts the caster's future (or past) image over himself, for either an ATK bonus or defensive bonuses.
Slow/Speed Metabolism: Reversible Transmutation spell that can either slow onset of poison and need for food/drink, or starves & weakens a target with need for food/drink.
Temporal Disjunction: Enchantment spell that confuses a target's sense of the passage of time; it automatically can be surprised and loses all initiative rolls.
Level 2--
Savage Evolution: Transmutation spell that alters target's biology to a more feral/primitive form; STR/DEX/CON are improved at the greater expense of INT/WIS/CHR.
Time Snare: Enchantment spell that compels a target to repeat his last action in a continuous loop.
Level 3--
Alternate Reality: Transmutation spell that forces a target to reroll a single event from the previous round; includes atk/dmg/saves/skills.
Timeheal: Transmutation spell that alters a target's physical body to its previous physical condition (the past physique is "brought forward" to replace the current one) from only a few moments earlier.
Level 4--
Temporal Push: Transmutation spell that throws a creature through a partial opening to Temporal Prime, instantly depositing them a short "distance" into the future.
Temporal Wall: Evocation spell that creates a wall made of the strange misty smoke of Temporal Prime; any person or object passing through the wall suffers the effects of Temporal Disjunction and 2 cumulative Slow spells.  Dispel Magic cannot affect this Wall.
Level 5--
Minor Paradox: Transmutation spell that allows the Chronomancer to take back an action he took, or to insert an action where he had previously taken no action.  The action (in either case) is limited to several rounds in the past.
Timeslip: Transmutation spell that allows the Chronomancer (plus some mass of people/materials) to physically enter & remain in Temporal Prime; he may return everything brought to Temporal Prime this way by focusing on a lifeline.
Level 6--
Create Slipgate: Conjuration spell that creates a fixed, permanent gate between reality and Temporal Prime.
Temporal Eye: Divination spell that sends a scrying device across Temporal Prime, allowing the Chronomancer to view people and places in other eras.
Level 7--
Delayed Damage: Abjuration spell that shifts half of all physical damage to the Chronomancer into his future, allowing him time to prepare, heal, take potions, etc.
Paradox: Transmutation spell that allows the Chronomancer to alter an event in which he participated within the past month.
Level 8--
Item Supercharger: Transmutation spell that alters properties of a magical item.  The duration of the item's effect may be doubled, or the frequency of uses/day may be doubled, or time needed to recharge the item is halved.
Timereaver: Evocation spell that encases a region within a bubble and transports all contents quickly and safely across Temporal Prime to the designated destination.
Level 9--
Major Paradox: Transmutation spell that allows the Chronomancer to alter an event he had control of that occurred up to one year in the past.
Temporal Shell: Transmutation spell that creates a bubble within which the Chronomancer (and all others within) experience time normally, but outside the bubble, time has frozen.

Note: The book listed spells like Time Stop and Permanence among those on the Chronomancy spell list, but I left them out here because this post is already quite long.  But I think you get the idea.  

Anyway, that's the prestige class.  If you're still reading this, thanks for your interest!  And please, post some feedback, criticism, etc. because I'd very much like to know what people think and if I've managed a good (or poor) design.  Thanks again in advance!

If time magic is to be introduced into a game, it shouldn't be limited just to wizards.

I think it would be better to limit chronomancy with a feat, like incarnum spells (Magic of Incarnum). A prestige class based on specializing in chonomancy spells would still be a good idea.

INCARNUM SPELLS
Spells marked with the incarnum descriptor use or manipulate incarnum as part of their effect. Only casters who have selected the Incarnum Spellshaping feat can cast these spells. Characters without that feat cannot cast such spells, even as part of spell completion or spell trigger items (such as scrolls or wands).

Designating time stop and such as chronomancy spells has some desirable effects, like allowing them to be affected by class features and feats that modify chronomancy spells. Of course, with the restriction that only people with levels in the chronomancer prestige class can cast chronomancy spells, this effectively removes these spells from every class' spell list. This applies equally to my idea of limiting access to these spells with a feat.

I'd create separate descriptors for “chonomancy” and “greater chronomancy.” The former would be given to spells that have some relation to time, while the latter would be given to spells that manipulate time in ways a typical caster can't manage.

The only specific aspect of the class I'll comment on is reality manipulation. I don't think adding a second ability score to save DCs is a good idea.

Overall - The class sort of sucks power wise, with a few random super powered abilities that should be toned down.

Feats - Spell mastery 1- kind of sucks, and 2 makes this a wizard only class which is kind of lame. Why no other casters?

Scry isn't a skill, so I'd take it off a class skill.

Time bender either doesn't do anything (You already state they can learn spells) or is super good (it gives early access to spells)

Realtiy Manipulation - This is super good. Adding a second stat to your save DCs is amazing good. Like every wizard should take this class, well for at least 3 levels. Consider spell focus adds +1 to DCs for a specific school for comparison.

Time Traveler - See time bender.

Lifeline tracker - This is really good if it allows PCs to travel back in time and kill babies. If you limit it to how long people will live thats probably a decent ability that isn't amazing.

Time lord - See time bender.

Lifeline Manipulation - This is interesting, but I'd drop the "you can't prepare spells if you do this" from it. Also, why not just prep spells before you use this ability?

Sever Lifeline - You never mention what Doubling yourself does, and that other chronomancers can't do it. This seems like a weird place to first mention it.

My spell list would simply be the Time domain for clerics. Maybe just say "The wizard automatically learns any spell from the time domain once he reaches the approperiate level".

My suggested rewrite

[sblock]

Prereq - Arcane Casting, Knowledge History 13 Ranks. 

• BAB - Poor

• Fort/Ref - Poor

• Will -Good

• Level 1-  Time Lord - You add all spells from the Time domain to your spells known at the approperiate level.

• Level 1 - This class grants full arcane casting advancement. 

• Level 2 - Spell Manipulation - You gain the quicken, or extend spell feat for free.

• Level 3 - Reality Manipulation - 1/day you can transport yourself and held items to the temporal plane. From here you can travel in either direction in time. When you exit return from the Temporal plane it is always to the same physical spot you left, but at any time you wish. This functions as the Plane Shift Spell.

• Level 4 - Transcendent Culturist - You can use your knowledge History skill on events that have not happened yet.

• Level 5 - Ageless - You can change your age catagory a number of steps equal to your wisdom modifier each morning. You also become ageless, and do not die of old age. 

• Level 6 - Reality Manipulation - 3/day

• Level 7- You're a full caster, eat a dead level.

• Level 8 - Slipstream - 1/day as an immediate reation to an attack that would drop you to 0 HP, or when you are the target of a spell or ability that would kill you, you can immediatley transport yourself to the Temporal Plane. You appear in the Temporal plane before the effects of this ability or attack and are unharmed as though it missed or did not affect you. This functions in all ways as the Plane Shift spell.

• Level 9 - Aged - As a standard action you can make a touch attack. If successful that creature immediatley ages one age catagory. Occasionally this is a boon, occasionally not. 

• Level 10 -Time Traveler - You can change into alternate timelines when you use your reality manipulation ability. 

Note on Time Travel - If you go into the past, you can make any changes you want without altering your current timeline. Any changes you make form an alternate timeline, and transferance between timelines is all but impossible. 

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"                                                  "I'd recommend no one listed to Krusk's opinions about what games to play"

Time bender either doesn't do anything (You already state they can learn spells) or is super good (it gives early access to spells)

Realtiy Manipulation - This is super good. Adding a second stat to your save DCs is amazing good. Like every wizard should take this class, well for at least 3 levels. Consider spell focus adds +1 to DCs for a specific school for comparison.

Sever Lifeline - You never mention what Doubling yourself does, and that other chronomancers can't do it. This seems like a weird place to first mention it.

1.  The way I read this is that it only grants access to the Chronomancer's spell list (up to level 4), not the ability to cast the spells (in case you've got an average spellcasting stat).

2.  It does make the character MAD, though...which can limit your options (do you jack up your Int or your Wis with a magic item?).

3.  Looking at other places in which time travel features, something (depends on the movie/book/whatever) happens and is never a good thing.  The rest is a good addition, though...     
I guess I'll follow up with some explanations as to why my above design is the way it is.

In addition to being a special Wizard-style variant, the 2E Chronomancer has ability requirements of high scores in both INT and WIS.  The intention (as I interpreted it) was that, while the dimension of Temporal Prime is a fundamental/underlying aspect of reality, the ability to grasp and apply this notion as a concept is not apparent to most.  Just as gravitational fields have always existed, but were never fully realized or understood as a concept until a philosophical Englishman considered falling apples, so it is with Temporal Prime and D&D characters with sufficiently high INT scores to conceive the possibility of its existence.

Since none of the prestige classes I'm aware of have ability score prereqs, I decided to translate the high-INT prereq of the 2E class into a prereq that would've strongly implied a need for a high INT; and the only way I thought to do that was to base it on having levels in Wizard (as no other basic class relies heavily on having a high INT score).  That was my rationale for making the Spell Mastery feat a prereq since (as I understand it) only Wizards can take it--thereby ensuring that Chronomancer characters would have a high INT--and making Haste/Slow part of that was my way of recognizing that the character had gained a measure of familiarity with the flow of time, implying that he'd begun to realize the concept of Temporal Prime, which in turn is the basis of the rest of the Chronomancer prestige class as I've written it.  However, I'm entirely unfamiliar with this Incarnum aspect of things; it sounds like it'd open up the prestige class to classes other than Wizard?  I have absolutely no objections to that, but I'd like to know how that works (so that the concept of the prestige class can be adjusted accordingly) and if there are any suggestions as to how to manage the mechanics of the prereqs and class features to compensate.  If there are any links or other resources explaining the idea of Incarnum I'd appreciate seeing them.

Also, when deciding how to translate the Chronomancer's WIS requirement from 2E to 3E, I decided to take example from the 2E to 3E conversion of Paladins (as I view it): in the older system, you couldn't be a Paladin without a high CHR score, but in 3E there's technically no CHR requirement...but if you want your Paladin to enjoy the maximum benefits of his class features (that is, the save bonus based on his CHR modifier), then it's to your benefit to skew the CHR stat towards the high end, bringing the "feel" of the majority of 3E Paladins close to the way 2E Paladins were.  So similarly, I decided to remove the Chronomancer's 2E WIS requirement, but fashioned the Reality Manipulation feature to encourage players to skew the WIS stat towards higher values.  Since the design of the prestige class I've written is for arcanists (which implies wearing no armor) and only non-chaotic alignments are allowed, I figured that players might consider taking some Monk levels to improve the Chronomancer's combat defenses anyway, so that there'd be no real problem (and potentially even further encouragement for skewing the stat upwards) with making that class feature based on WIS.  Non-mechanically speaking, this would represent the Chronomancer applying an intuitive sense or other insights into how reality shifts with alterations to the timestream, making wielding his magical energies that much more effective.  But again, that's merely how I've written it from my perspective and the notion of Temporal Prime being a concept that mainly studious arcanists would've considered...I have no objections to changing it around, but I'd be interested in hearing suggestions as to what to change it to (both mechanically and otherwise).

ETA: Wow, I'm suck-tastically slow at writing posts!  I have to catch up on two replies made while I composed this...

Chronomancer
Requirements--
Feats: Spell Mastery (Haste and/or Slow)
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) 8 ranks, Knowledge (History) 8 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks

Class Skills: Concentration, Knowledge (any), Scry, Speak Language, Spellcraft, Craft, Profession
Class Features--
Lvl     BAB     Fort     Refl     Will        Spells/day      Special
1        +0       +0       +0      +2      +1 lvl Wizard     Timebender
2        +1       +0       +0      +3      +1 lvl Wizard     Spell Extension
3        +1       +1       +1      +3      +1 lvl Wizard     Reality Manipulation
4        +2       +1       +1      +4      +1 lvl Wizard     Time Traveler
5        +2       +1       +1      +4      +1 lvl Wizard     Transcendent Culturist
6        +3       +2       +2      +5      +1 lvl Wizard     Lifeline Tracker
7        +3       +2       +2      +5      +1 lvl Wizard     Temporal Mastery
8        +4       +2       +2      +6      +1 lvl Wizard     Time Lord
9        +4       +3       +3      +6      +1 lvl Wizard     Lifeline Manipulation
10      +5       +3       +3      +7      +1 lvl Wizard     Sever Lifeline

Spells Per Day: When a new Chronomancer level is gained, he gets new spells per day as if he had gained a level in his pre-existing Wizard class (as I understand it, the required Spell Mastery feat is only available to Wizards).  Also, the Chronomancer adds 2 free spells (of levels he can cast) to his spellbook in the same manner as a Wizard, provided that at least one of those spells is from the Chronomancy spell list (the book included a whole set of spells for the class, some of which I've restructured; I won't write the details in this post, but will try to give a summary below).
Timebender: The Chronomancer's studies have produced knowledge of arcane magics that allow him to indirectly wield the forces of Temporal Prime.  He may learn spells of level 1-4 from the Chronomancy spell list.
Spell Extension: The Chronomancer gains the Extend Spell feat.
Reality Manipulation: The Chronomancer's understanding of Temporal Prime allows him to direct magical energies not at objects or lifeforms, but at the temporal forces that have shaped reality, making it difficult to avoid the effects of his spells.  The Chronomancer's WIS modifier is added to the save DC of any spell he casts (it's cumulative with bonuses from Spell Focus feats, though I'm considering limiting it to spells from the Transmutation school).
Time Traveler: The Chronomancer's studies have become sufficiently advanced that he has learned how to enter Temporal Prime itself and potentially alter history.  He may learn spells of level 5-7 from the Chronomancy spell list.  If a DM doesn't want to deal with the hassle of changing his game world's history, then the Chronomancer prestige class ends at level 3; otherwise, onward!
Transcendent Culturist: The Chronomancer, having experienced different eras, can now use his Speak Language skill to learn past & future dialects of any language, and his Knowledge (History) skill can be applied to past & future events.  Note that extensive experience in a particular era--or alterations to the timestream--by this or other Chronomancers can alter the DC of the Knowledge check.
Lifeline Tracker: One of the only landmarks on the largely featureless "landscape" of Temporal Prime is a system of silvery, threadlike "lifelines" that trace out the existence of every lifeform in reality.  Every Time Traveler must use them for navigation up and down the timestream, and a Chronomancer at this stage of experience is now capable of identifying individual ones more readily.  If the Chronomancer can recognize a creature by sight when transitioning to Temporal Prime, he can locate that creature's lifeline within 1 round.  Examining the lifeline will allow the Chronomancer to determine its beginning and end (and thus attain a reasonably accurate estimation of its lifespan), and if he maintains focus on it when returning to reality from Temporal Prime, he can arrive within 1d100 x10 yards of that creature (in the chosen time period).
Temporal Mastery: The Chronomancer has gained familiarity with temporal-related magics.  He gains the Spell Mastery feat (as a Wizard), but may only choose spells for this feat from the Chronomancy spell list.
Time Lord: Because I'm a Doctor Who fan. ;)  The Chronomancer's prowess with magics controlling Temporal Prime can now proceed without limit.  He may learn spells of level 8-9 from the Chronomancy spell list.
Lifeline Manipulation: The Chronomancer's connection to Temporal Prime is strong enough that he can advance (or regress) the age of a creature with INT 2 or more with a touch (shortening or extending that creature's lifeline).  The maximum age alteration is 2 years per Chronomancer level, and must be decided upon to the nearest month upon physical contact with the intended target.  The aging/de-aging process occurs at the rate of 1 year per turn, and cannot restore life to the dead; also, the Chronomancer cannot age the same creature more than once ever, and cannot de-age the same creature more than once ever (though he can age and then de-age the same creature).  However, a creature can receive Lifeline Manipulation multiple times, each time from a different Chronomancer.  As this ability (in either form) is extremely draining, the Chronomancer cannot prepare any new spells until he's rested for at least 24 hours after using Lifeline Manipulation, and cannot use the ability (in either form) again until a month has passed (from his perspective).  A Chronomancer cannot use this ability on his own lifeline.
Sever Lifeline: Every creature with an existence in reality has a lifeline representing its linear existence; even though Chronomancers may skip forward and backward, they too have a linear existence that is woven in among the rest of the lifelines at every span where they lived in reality.  The one incontrovertible rule of having a linear existence is: there can be no overlap in your own lifeline.  But at 10th level, the Chronomancer will have determined a ritual that will permanently detach himself from his own lifeline; it will be the end of his linear existence, but not the end of his life.  If the Chronomancer chooses to enact the Sever Lifeline ritual, he becomes a nonlinear entity and is henceforth considered a native of Temporal Prime.  He no longer ages and cannot be affected by lifeline-related effects, and may "double" himself when visiting reality (including visiting his former, linear-existing self).

So, that's the basics of the design (and as you can see, even the basics get complicated when describing them...hope it wasn't boring).  I adapted a couple of the book's Chronomancy spells into special abilities; the rest of the spells I'll briefly list below (I changed a few of their levels from where the book had them):
Show

Level 1--
Advance/Delay Image: Reversible Illusion spell that puts the caster's future (or past) image over himself, for either an ATK bonus or defensive bonuses.
Slow/Speed Metabolism: Reversible Transmutation spell that can either slow onset of poison and need for food/drink, or starves & weakens a target with need for food/drink.
Temporal Disjunction: Enchantment spell that confuses a target's sense of the passage of time; it automatically can be surprised and loses all initiative rolls.
Level 2--
Savage Evolution: Transmutation spell that alters target's biology to a more feral/primitive form; STR/DEX/CON are improved at the greater expense of INT/WIS/CHR.
Time Snare: Enchantment spell that compels a target to repeat his last action in a continuous loop.
Level 3--
Alternate Reality: Transmutation spell that forces a target to reroll a single event from the previous round; includes atk/dmg/saves/skills.
Timeheal: Transmutation spell that alters a target's physical body to its previous physical condition (the past physique is "brought forward" to replace the current one) from only a few moments earlier.
Level 4--
Temporal Push: Transmutation spell that throws a creature through a partial opening to Temporal Prime, instantly depositing them a short "distance" into the future.
Temporal Wall: Evocation spell that creates a wall made of the strange misty smoke of Temporal Prime; any person or object passing through the wall suffers the effects of Temporal Disjunction and 2 cumulative Slow spells.  Dispel Magic cannot affect this Wall.
Level 5--
Minor Paradox: Transmutation spell that allows the Chronomancer to take back an action he took, or to insert an action where he had previously taken no action.  The action (in either case) is limited to several rounds in the past.
Timeslip: Transmutation spell that allows the Chronomancer (plus some mass of people/materials) to physically enter & remain in Temporal Prime; he may return everything brought to Temporal Prime this way by focusing on a lifeline.
Level 6--
Create Slipgate: Conjuration spell that creates a fixed, permanent gate between reality and Temporal Prime.
Temporal Eye: Divination spell that sends a scrying device across Temporal Prime, allowing the Chronomancer to view people and places in other eras.
Level 7--
Delayed Damage: Abjuration spell that shifts half of all physical damage to the Chronomancer into his future, allowing him time to prepare, heal, take potions, etc.
Paradox: Transmutation spell that allows the Chronomancer to alter an event in which he participated within the past month.
Level 8--
Item Supercharger: Transmutation spell that alters properties of a magical item.  The duration of the item's effect may be doubled, or the frequency of uses/day may be doubled, or time needed to recharge the item is halved.
Timereaver: Evocation spell that encases a region within a bubble and transports all contents quickly and safely across Temporal Prime to the designated destination.
Level 9--
Major Paradox: Transmutation spell that allows the Chronomancer to alter an event he had control of that occurred up to one year in the past.
Temporal Shell: Transmutation spell that creates a bubble within which the Chronomancer (and all others within) experience time normally, but outside the bubble, time has frozen.

Note: The book listed spells like Time Stop and Permanence among those on the Chronomancy spell list, but I left them out here because this post is already quite long.  But I think you get the idea.  

Anyway, that's the prestige class.  If you're still reading this, thanks for your interest!  And please, post some feedback, criticism, etc. because I'd very much like to know what people think and if I've managed a good (or poor) design.  Thanks again in advance!

Still too good.

For the cost of one feat (Spell Mastery which is actually a feat I'd try to push wizards to take once anyway) and some skil ranks for FULL spellcasting plus extra goodies equals a PrC that is too good.  That's not even really looking at what the abilities do.  I may not be looking at everything too closely but if you lose spellcasting advancement, at least at first level and maybe another time or two, you may bring its power down enough that it is no longer "too good" with the trade off being that it is no longer so attractive to play.

Just because you give the class an ability to make use of an average WIS score that does NOT make it a MAD PrC.  Even with a lowly WIS 12 that would still give you +1 on your spell's DC which is a major benefit.
Well, it looks like I've got a fair amount of revising to do; thanks for the feeback so far, it's both humbling and helpful.  A couple questions though: what does the acronym MAD stand for?  I'm not up on much of the jargon 'round these parts.  Also, would limiting the Reality Manipulation's DC bonus to only Transmutation spells (as I said I might) be acceptable, or is that still too good?  I'd like to do something to make a high WIS score have benefits for the Chronomancer prestige class, and that's all I could think of, but if it's too busted I'll try to work out something else.

The Timebender/Time Traveler/Time Lord terms were supposed to give a feel for the Chronomancer's progressive mastery over the forces of time, and represented by having a range of spells from the Chronomancy spell list made available for adding to the spell book.  But also, if you noticed from the spell list, none of the level 1-4 spells (and none of the pre-Time Traveler abilities) allow the Chronomancer to personally travel through time.  The ability to do so (for reasons related to Temporal Prime, as well as pretty much any time-travel story you've read) is a big game-changer in terms of campaign setting, storylines, and so on, which would generate a massive amount of work and headaches for DMs.  So my intention was to make the Timebender (that is, all the pre-Time Traveler levels) a version of the prestige class that could be used in any setting without causing DM and wibbly-wobbly-timey-wimey headaches around the table.  That's the reason for the first 3 levels giving some straightforward abilities, including the expanded spell lists (but limiting the levels at which the spell lists were expanded).  Taking the step to a Time Traveler (4th level Chronomancer and beyond) would be up to the DM's willingness to build adventures around visits to the past and future, and potentially making drastic alterations to his own game world.

The various lifeline-related abilities I created were all adapted from spells in the Chronomancer book; I figured that they could be more valuable as special abilities for experienced time-travelers rather than taking up prepared spell slots, and I didn't alter the spell effects much when translating them into abilities.  Apparently that didn't come across too well either.

Overall, I think I'm going to have to re-think and re-do much of the class spells; in order to accomodate the "no controlled time-travel for spells lower than level 4" I jiggered around some of the book's spell lists, and dropped a couple of spells (as well as adapting some into abilities).  I'll be reworking those with consideration to what's been said above, though I'm still going to try to design the Chronomancer with the notion that the first 3 levels will be accessible to any DM's campaign, while level 4 and up will bring in the actual time travel (as an option for interested DM's and ambitious players).  I'll probably change up the Chronomancer prereqs too, perhaps making them a bit more stringent so that it won't be so easy to enter and exploit, and I'll redo the special abilities for a little more balance (I hope).

In the meantime, here's a couple of things: first, is there any interest in hearing a more complete description of Temporal Prime?  As I said when I wrote out the class, the book has a lot of info on it, and I summarized/glossed over/left out much of it so that I could explain the prestige class.  I didn't want to info-dump and then expect a full review of my design, but apparently the way I approached it was confusing or not clear, for which I apologize.  But if there's interest, I would be happy to write up a better, more-fully-devoted post to the mechanics of Temporal Prime, which would probably go a long way towards giving context to the Chronomancer class.

Secondly, as I messed around with the spell lists, I didn't notice an important detail when I initially wrote up the prestige class, and which could have a bearing on the design: the "standard" Wizard spells, like Permanence, Foresight/Premonition, Time Stop, etc. were all part of the Chronomancy spell list...but, they were available at a level lower.  So if I put them back on the Chronomancy spell list in that way, then (for instance) Time Stop would be available as an 8th level spell.  Among the other changes, I'm thinking of changing the Timebender ability so that the Chronomancer has access to the full Chronomancy spell list (and again, I'm going to jigger around some of the book-only spells), which would include this reduced-level Time Stop and other such reduced-level versions of "standard" Wizard spells.  Would that be a good adjustment?  Alternately, should I work to drop the arcane-magic aspect of the Chronomancer prestige class, and abandon the Chronomancy spell list entirely (I'd prefer not to, unless there's a good suggestion for doing so)?

Again, thanks for the responses and feedback!
MAD = Multi(ple) Attribute (or Ability) Dependent

The context behind it is that some builds and even specific classes demand that a character has "good" scores in multiple abilities.  It is the opposite end of a SAD (Single AD) class which really only needs one good score and uses it for all kinds of things.  Perhaps the biggest example of a SAD class is the Wizard who just needs a good INT score (fair to good DEX/CON help everyone of course) as it is what governs many aspects of his most important class feature, his spells.  The basic MAD class is the Monk who basically wants good scores in everything; it's a melee class so high STR is important, can't wear armor so DEX is valuable, only has a d8 hp but want to wade into fights so a high CON is useful, could be conidered a "skill" class yet doesn't have a lot of skill points so INT helps here, and finally WIS gets added to AC as well some other things which just leaves CHA as an ability a monk really never makes much use of.

Wizard only - Just because the 2e class did something lame doesn't mean you have to repeat it. A 1-1 translation probably isn't going to be very good, but an improvement along the same theme might be.

2.  It does make the character MAD, though...which can limit your options (do you jack up your Int or your Wis with a magic item?).

Not really. You still only care about int, but if you have a wis bonus at all, you get awesome save DCs. This isn't really mad, its just "how much of a free bonus do you want". Mad would be split casting like the archivist.

Thanks for the info!  I'm going to drop the WIS bonus to DC, though as I mentioned I'm still hoping to somehow incorporate high INT and high WIS scores into the prereqs and/or features of this prestige class.  I have a new design, but I'm stuck mainly on the prereqs, so I'll post the new form of what I've got in the hopes of hearing some suggestions (and that what I've made is an improvement).

The first change I made was in the Chronomancy spell list...I went back to the 2E book, included everything from the 3E PHB, and even dragged out my Spell Compendium to add a couple of spells from there.  I turned some of those spells (in particular, the ones that involved transitions to/from Temporal Prime or somehow involved interacting with features of Temporal Prime) into abilities for the Chronomancer, and dropped the rest entirely.  So the spell list uses the forces of time, can affect lifelines, and can even alter history...but all from within normal reality (roaming Temporal Prime isn't necessary for any of these spells).  So, full access to this entire list is available to all Chronomancers at all levels:

Chronomancy Spell List--

Level 0--

Incite: Enchantment spell that compels a group of creatures to not delay or ready actions (from Spell Compendium, but one level lower).

Inhibit: Enchantment spell that compels a creature to delay its action (from Spell Compendium, but one level lower).

Slow Metabolism: Transmutation spell that can slow the onset of poison and need for food & drink.

Speed Metabolism: Transmutation spell that can starve & weaken a target (gets -1 CON) with need for food & drink.

Level 1--

Advance Image: Illusion spell that puts an image of the caster's future self over him, for a +1 atk bonus.

Delay Image: Illusion spell that puts an image of the caster's past self over him, for a +2 AC bonus and a +1 save bonus against magical attacks targeting him.

Cheat: Transmutation spell that influences the outcome of a nonmagical game of chance that takes place within the spell's duration (from Spell Compendium).

Nerveskitter: Transmutation spell that gives target creature a +5 bonus to initiative rolls during the encounter in which this spell is cast (from Spell Compendium).

Level 2--

Precognitive Sense: Divination spell that gives general knowledge of a single event affecting the Chronomancer to a limited extent in his future.

Temporal Disjunction: Enchantment spell that confuses a target's sense of the passage of time; it automatically can be surprised, loses all initiative rolls, and loses one attack per round (if it has more than one attack per round).

Haste: Transmutation spell from PHB, but one level lower.

Slow: Transmutation spell from PHB, but one level lower.

Level 3--

Melee Manager: Enchantment spell that grants a creature an extra melee attack, as well as bonuses to initiative, surprise, and AC for its duration.

Shift Reality: Transmutation spell that forces a target to reroll a single event from the previous round; includes atk/dmg/saves/skills.

Level 4--

Prophecy: Divination spell that grants the Chronomancer a vision of an important event that directly affects another person.

Permanency: Universal spell from PHB, but one level lower.

Level 5--

Temporal Wall: Evocation spell that creates a wall made of the strange mist-smoke of Temporal Prime; any person or object passing through the wall suffers the effects of Temporal Disjunction and 2 cumulative Slow spells. Dispel Magic cannot affect this Wall.

Ray of Entropy: Necromancy spell that weakens a living creature with -4 penalties to STR/DEX/CON (from Spell Compendium, but one level lower).

Mass Haste: Transmutation spell from PHB, but one level lower.

Minor Paradox: Transmutation spell that allows the Chronomancer to take back an action he took, or to insert an action where he had previously taken no action. The action (in either case) is limited to several rounds in the past.

Level 6--

Delayed Blast Fireball: Evocation spell from PHB, but one level lower.

Accelerate Lifeline: Transmutation spell that allows the Chronomancer to advance the age of another creature with a touch (shortening that creature's lifeline).

Regress Lifeline: Transmutation spell that allows the Chronomancer to reduce the age of another creature with a touch (extending that creature's lifeline).

Level 7--

Item Supercharger: Transmutation spell that alters properties of a magical item. The duration of the item's effect may be doubled, or the frequency of uses/day may be doubled, or time needed to recharge the item is halved.

Level 8--

Foresight: Divination spell from PHB, but one level lower.

Temporal Stasis: Transmutation spell from PHB, but one level lower.

Time Stop: Transmutation spell from PHB, but one level lower.

Level 9--

Since this means access to standard spells at lower levels, I figure the prereqs should be pretty strong, and as you've probably noticed Chronomancy is pretty heavy in Transmutation (since it is about altering reality).  So I changed the feat prereqs to a strong focus in Transmutation (which also opens up the prestige class to non-Wizard casters), but I'm sure that more will be needed, and that's where I could really use some help...if there are any suggestions on what I could do with the prereqs to emphasize high INT (and if possible, also high WIS), I'd love to hear them.  In the meantime, I've made other adjustments to the class abilities and features, so here's what I have so far for the Chronomancer prestige class...

Chronomancer

Requirements--

Feats: Spell Focus (Transmutation), Greater Spell Focus (Transmutation), ????

Class Skills: Concentration, Knowledge (any), Speak Language, Spellcraft, Craft, Profession
Class Features--
Lvl    BAB    Fort    Refl    Will    Spells/day                             Special
1          +0       +0       +0       +2      +1 lvl spellcasting class     Timebender
2          +1       +0       +0       +3      +1 lvl spellcasting class     Lifeline Sounding
3          +1       +1       +1       +3      +1 lvl spellcasting class
4          +2       +1       +1       +4      +1 lvl spellcasting class     Metamagic Distortion
5          +2       +1       +1       +4      +1 lvl spellcasting class     Time Traveler
6          +3       +2       +2       +5      +1 lvl spellcasting class     Transcendent Culturist
7          +3       +2       +2       +5      +1 lvl spellcasting class     Temporal Mastery
8          +4       +2       +2       +6      +1 lvl spellcasting class     Vortex Vigilance
9          +4       +3       +3       +6      +1 lvl spellcasting class
10        +5       +3       +3       +7      +1 lvl spellcasting class     Time Lord

Spells Per Day: When a new Chronomancer level is gained, he gets new spells per day as if he had gained a level in his pre-existing spellcasting class.

Timebender: The Chronomancer's studies have produced knowledge of the magics that will allow him to wield the forces of Temporal Prime. The Chronomancy spell list is added to the list of spells the character can learn, and his mind is unaltered by changes in the timeline.

Lifeline Sounding: The Chronomancer, with a successful touch, can connect with a creature's lifeline and roughly determine its length forward and backward from that moment in time. Usable 1/day.

Metamagic Distortion: The Chronomancer gains either the Extend Spell feat or the Quicken Spell feat.

Time Traveler: The Chronomancer gains the ability to thin the barrier between reality and Temporal Prime and slip between the two, along with an additional mass and/or other people (within limits set by the number of Chronomancer levels). Arriving in Temporal Prime places travelers slightly downstream among the network of lifelines; the Chronomancer must focus on a lifeline to effect the transfer back to reality, arriving within 1d10 miles of the creature associated with that lifeline. Usable 2/day.

Transcendent Culturist: The Chronomancer, having experienced different eras, can now apply his Speak Language skill to learn past & future dialects of any language, and his Knowledge (History) skill can be applied to past & future events. Note that extensive experience in a particular era--or alterations to the timestream--by this or other Chronomancers can alter the DC of the Knowledge check.

Temporal Mastery: The Chronomancer gains the Spell Mastery feat (as a Wizard), but the spells chosen must come from the Chronomancy spell list.

Vortex Vigilance: The Chronomancer can attempt to detect or detach the presence of a vortex (a type of temporal anomaly, usually the result of a disturbance in the timestream) on Temporal Prime. Usable 1/day.

Time Lord: The Chronomancer has determined a ritual that will permanently detach himself from his own lifeline; it will be the end of his linear existence, but not the end of his life. He becomes a nonlinear entity and is henceforth considered a native of Temporal Prime. He no longer ages and cannot be affected by lifeline-related effects, and may "double" himself any number of times when visiting reality (including visiting his former, linear-existing self).

And, that's the current design.  I made the Timebender/Time Traveler/Time Lord into some actual features, added/tweaked a couple of abilities, and left a couple levels blank.  The spell level progression I left in place, but allowed for other classes (though that could change again, depending on the final version of the prereqs).  Once again, any and all feedback is much appreciated, and I hope this is at least an improvement over the initial design.

Way less comments, thats a good thing!

Lifeline Sounding: This is so "fluff ability" that I don't think unlimited use would be out of line.

Time Traveler: I honestly can't tell what this means or does. You should probably reword it. I think it is the way they plane shift to the temporal plane, and if so why not just make it "You go to the temporal plane, as per the plane shift spell but only to that plane." or something. 

Vortex Vigilance: This is a great opportunity to bring in a high wis. Make it useable wis mod times a day.

Chronomancy Spell List--

Show
Level 0--

Incite: Enchantment spell that compels a group of creatures to not delay or ready actions (from Spell Compendium, but one level lower).

Inhibit: Enchantment spell that compels a creature to delay its action (from Spell Compendium, but one level lower).

Slow Metabolism: Transmutation spell that can slow the onset of poison and need for food & drink.

Speed Metabolism: Transmutation spell that can starve & weaken a target (gets -1 CON) with need for food & drink.

Level 1--

Advance Image: Illusion spell that puts an image of the caster's future self over him, for a +1 atk bonus.

Delay Image: Illusion spell that puts an image of the caster's past self over him, for a +2 AC bonus and a +1 save bonus against magical attacks targeting him.

Cheat: Transmutation spell that influences the outcome of a nonmagical game of chance that takes place within the spell's duration (from Spell Compendium).

Nerveskitter: Transmutation spell that gives target creature a +5 bonus to initiative rolls during the encounter in which this spell is cast (from Spell Compendium).

Level 2--

Precognitive Sense: Divination spell that gives general knowledge of a single event affecting the Chronomancer to a limited extent in his future.

Temporal Disjunction: Enchantment spell that confuses a target's sense of the passage of time; it automatically can be surprised, loses all initiative rolls, and loses one attack per round (if it has more than one attack per round).

Haste: Transmutation spell from PHB, but one level lower.

Slow: Transmutation spell from PHB, but one level lower.

Level 3--

Melee Manager: Enchantment spell that grants a creature an extra melee attack, as well as bonuses to initiative, surprise, and AC for its duration.

Shift Reality: Transmutation spell that forces a target to reroll a single event from the previous round; includes atk/dmg/saves/skills.

Level 4--

Prophecy: Divination spell that grants the Chronomancer a vision of an important event that directly affects another person.

Permanency: Universal spell from PHB, but one level lower.

Level 5--

Temporal Wall: Evocation spell that creates a wall made of the strange mist-smoke of Temporal Prime; any person or object passing through the wall suffers the effects of Temporal Disjunction and 2 cumulative Slow spells. Dispel Magic cannot affect this Wall.

Ray of Entropy: Necromancy spell that weakens a living creature with -4 penalties to STR/DEX/CON (from Spell Compendium, but one level lower).

Mass Haste: Transmutation spell from PHB, but one level lower.

Minor Paradox: Transmutation spell that allows the Chronomancer to take back an action he took, or to insert an action where he had previously taken no action. The action (in either case) is limited to several rounds in the past.

Level 6--

Delayed Blast Fireball: Evocation spell from PHB, but one level lower.

Accelerate Lifeline: Transmutation spell that allows the Chronomancer to advance the age of another creature with a touch (shortening that creature's lifeline).

Regress Lifeline: Transmutation spell that allows the Chronomancer to reduce the age of another creature with a touch (extending that creature's lifeline).

Level 7--

Item Supercharger: Transmutation spell that alters properties of a magical item. The duration of the item's effect may be doubled, or the frequency of uses/day may be doubled, or time needed to recharge the item is halved.

Level 8--

Foresight: Divination spell from PHB, but one level lower.

Temporal Stasis: Transmutation spell from PHB, but one level lower.

Time Stop: Transmutation spell from PHB, but one level lower.

Level 9--

Since this means access to standard spells at lower levels, I figure the prereqs should be pretty strong, and as you've probably noticed Chronomancy is pretty heavy in Transmutation (since it is about altering reality).  So I changed the feat prereqs to a strong focus in Transmutation (which also opens up the prestige class to non-Wizard casters), but I'm sure that more will be needed, and that's where I could really use some help...if there are any suggestions on what I could do with the prereqs to emphasize high INT (and if possible, also high WIS), I'd love to hear them.  In the meantime, I've made other adjustments to the class abilities and features, so here's what I have so far for the Chronomancer prestige class...

Chronomancer

Requirements--

Feats: Spell Focus (Transmutation), Greater Spell Focus (Transmutation), ????

Class Skills: Concentration, Knowledge (any), Speak Language, Spellcraft, Craft, Profession
Class Features--
Lvl    BAB    Fort    Refl    Will    Spells/day                             Special
1          +0       +0       +0       +2      +1 lvl spellcasting class     Timebender
2          +1       +0       +0       +3      +1 lvl spellcasting class     Lifeline Sounding
4          +2       +1       +1       +4      +1 lvl spellcasting class     Metamagic Distortion
5          +2       +1       +1       +4      +1 lvl spellcasting class     Time Traveler
6          +3       +2       +2       +5      +1 lvl spellcasting class     Transcendent Culturist
7          +3       +2       +2       +5      +1 lvl spellcasting class     Temporal Mastery
8          +4       +2       +2       +6      +1 lvl spellcasting class     Vortex Vigilance
10        +5       +3       +3       +7      +1 lvl spellcasting class     Time Lord

[sblock]Spells Per Day: When a new Chronomancer level is gained, he gets new spells per day as if he had gained a level in his pre-existing spellcasting class.

Timebender: The Chronomancer's studies have produced knowledge of the magics that will allow him to wield the forces of Temporal Prime. The Chronomancy spell list is added to the list of spells the character can learn, and his mind is unaltered by changes in the timeline.

Lifeline Sounding: The Chronomancer, with a successful touch, can connect with a creature's lifeline and roughly determine its length forward and backward from that moment in time. Usable 1/day.

Metamagic Distortion: The Chronomancer gains either the Extend Spell feat or the Quicken Spell feat.

Time Traveler: The Chronomancer gains the ability to thin the barrier between reality and Temporal Prime and slip between the two, along with an additional mass and/or other people (within limits set by the number of Chronomancer levels). Arriving in Temporal Prime places travelers slightly downstream among the network of lifelines; the Chronomancer must focus on a lifeline to effect the transfer back to reality, arriving within 1d10 miles of the creature associated with that lifeline. Usable 2/day.

Transcendent Culturist: The Chronomancer, having experienced different eras, can now apply his Speak Language skill to learn past & future dialects of any language, and his Knowledge (History) skill can be applied to past & future events. Note that extensive experience in a particular era--or alterations to the timestream--by this or other Chronomancers can alter the DC of the Knowledge check.

Temporal Mastery: The Chronomancer gains the Spell Mastery feat (as a Wizard), but the spells chosen must come from the Chronomancy spell list.

Vortex Vigilance: The Chronomancer can attempt to detect or detach the presence of a vortex (a type of temporal anomaly, usually the result of a disturbance in the timestream) on Temporal Prime. Usable 1/day.

Time Lord: The Chronomancer has determined a ritual that will permanently detach himself from his own lifeline; it will be the end of his linear existence, but not the end of his life. He becomes a nonlinear entity and is henceforth considered a native of Temporal Prime. He no longer ages and cannot be affected by lifeline-related effects, and may "double" himself any number of times when visiting reality (including visiting his former, linear-existing self).

[/sblock]And, that's the current design.  I made the Timebender/Time Traveler/Time Lord into some actual features, added/tweaked a couple of abilities, and left a couple levels blank.  The spell level progression I left in place, but allowed for other classes (though that could change again, depending on the final version of the prereqs).  Once again, any and all feedback is much appreciated, and I hope this is at least an improvement over the initial design.

It may be an improvement over the initial design but it is yet way too powerful.  It's still full casting and with some of the toned down abilities it may work with the couple feat prereqs (although Spell Focus-Transmutation isn't a bad use of a feat) but what pushes it over the top is lowering the spell level of those various spells.  When you're talking three 9th-level spells (including one of the game's more popular spells) and pushing them down to 8th-level you can certain justify losing at least a couple casting levels along the way.

I'd also warn that making a new spell list can have far reaching effects in an otherwise RAW game.  Some characters can access things from various spell lists and when you're making a bunch of spells available at a level lower then normal you make them that much more accessable to those characters.

Question: what does the acronym RAW mean (assuming it is an acronym)?

Also, as I mentioned, the Spell Focus prereqs are only the *beginning* of the prereqs...I'm thinking that there should be a total of 4 feat prereqs, and the 2 versions of Spell Focus on Transmutation are the only ones I could think of so far.  Any suggestions for two more would be greatly appreciated, preferably with ones that would encourage the character towards high INT/high WIS, though just about any that would help the character "feel" like he's working towards cracking the concepts of time and Temporal Prime would be good.  Maybe a Skill Focus in one or two of Concentration/Spellcraft/Knowledge (Arcana/History)?

I've been reluctant to give up on the advancement of the spellcasting class, as the 2E Chronomancer was a regular wizard-style class, and holding it back would seem to go against that...but given that the Chronomancer gets major adventuring opportunities at level 5 (when he can journey to other times) and at level 10 (when he can overlap his personal history), I could see removing the spellcasting advancement at those two levels.

For Lifeline Sounding, I think it's best to keep it limited...while it doesn't give much in terms of game mechanics or combat, it provides the Chronomancer character with a reasonable estimate on how much longer the target will live for, which in turn can affect what actions he chooses to take or not take, if he wants to attempt to alter that value.  It'd be up to the DM to decide if that attempt does anything, but it'll also be up to the DM to report the initial estimate (and any subsequent ones) every time the Chronomancer uses the power, which could become a real nuisance if it can be used without limit.  Since it's more of a story/plot-driving ability, I'm thinking that it would be appropriate to make Lifeline Sounding's limit be something like 3/month.  That should be plenty of opportunity to use it productively over the course of an adventure without being abusive to the DM's patience.

The Time Traveler ability is the effect from the Timeslip spell (which appears in the spell list for my first draft of the prestige class...it's been removed from the current version of the spell list).  Basically, it takes the Chronomancer (the caster) plus a variable-but-increasing-with-level amount of mass from "reality" into Temporal Prime.  Everything that's transferred fades out of reality and simultaneously fades into Temporal Prime (like the way the TARDIS travels on Doctor Who, but without the wheezing sound).  Now, all living creatures with a linear existence have lifelines with a physical presence on Temporal Prime; they're all networked and intertwined in a configuration that somehow represents how they all relate to (or are isolated from) each other.  When a Chronomancer has used his Time Traveler ability to get to Temporal Prime wants to return to reality, he chooses a section of a lifeline (it can be upstream or downstream in the timestream) and focuses intently on it; doing so will then return himself (and everything else brought to Temporal Prime) to reality, arriving at whatever moment he's chosen, and within 1d10 miles of the individual whose lifeline he focused on.  Returning to reality this way is not an expenditure of the Time Traveler ability (in the 2E book, there's no need to use the Timeslip spell to return to reality, it's done in exactly this way I've described).  Since it's 2/day, this means that a Chronomancer could use his Time Traveler ability, journey across Temporal Prime, return to reality in another era, take some actions (altering history, viewing the future, etc), then use his Time Traveler ability, journey back across Temporal Prime to where he started, and return to reality...all in the course of 24 hours.

Since the Time Traveler ability comes with a slew of adventuring possibilities (Temporal Prime has its own hazards, not to mention the ramifications of messing about in other eras), a DM that doesn't want to put up with the hassle could cut off players and restrict them to only using the first 4 levels of this Chronomancer prestige class.  But if the DM is willing to allow a player to advance into these levels, then I figure the tradeoff for opening up all of history as a playground for the players could be a complete lack of spellcasting advancement for the Chronomancer (he's already getting a powerful spell-like ability anyway).

I like the idea of using the WIS modifier to determine the use of Vortex Vigilance; it'd indicate a certain intuitive connection to the "flow" of the timestream, which in my estimation is pretty much the point of the high WIS score in the 2E prereqs.

So here's the latest revision:

Chronomancer

Requirements--

Feats: Spell Focus (Transmutation), Greater Spell Focus (Transmutation), 2 more (Skill Focus?)

Class Features--
5          +2       +1       +1       +4                                                Time Traveler
10        +5       +3       +3       +7                                                Time Lord

Spells Per Day: Except at levels 5 and 10, when a new Chronomancer level is gained, he gets new spells per day as if he had gained a level in his pre-existing spellcasting class.

Timebender: The Chronomancer's studies have produced knowledge of the magics that will allow him to wield the forces of Temporal Prime. The Chronomancy spell list is added to the list of spells the character can learn, and his mind is unaltered by changes in the timestream.

Lifeline Sounding: The Chronomancer, with a successful touch, can connect with a creature's lifeline and roughly determine its length forward and backward from that moment in time. Usable 3/month.

Metamagic Distortion: The Chronomancer gains either the Extend Spell feat or the Quicken Spell feat.

Time Traveler: The Chronomancer gains the ability to thin the barrier between reality and Temporal Prime and slip between the two, along with an additional mass and/or other people (within limits set by the number of Chronomancer levels). Arriving in Temporal Prime places travelers slightly downstream among the network of lifelines; the Chronomancer must focus on a lifeline to effect the transfer back to reality, arriving within 1d10 miles of the creature associated with that lifeline. Usable 2/day.

Transcendent Culturist: The Chronomancer, having experienced different eras, can now apply his Speak Language skill to learn past & future dialects of any language, and his Knowledge (History) skill can be applied to past & future events. Note that extensive experience in a particular era--or alterations to the timestream--by this or other Chronomancers can alter the DC of the Knowledge check.

Temporal Mastery: The Chronomancer gains the Spell Mastery feat (as a Wizard), but the spells chosen must come from the Chronomancy spell list.

Vortex Vigilance: The Chronomancer can attempt to detect or detach the presence of a vortex (a type of temporal anomaly, usually the result of a disturbance in the timestream) on Temporal Prime. Usable 1/day.

Time Lord: The Chronomancer has determined a ritual that will permanently detach himself from his own lifeline; it will be the end of his linear existence, but not the end of his life. He becomes a nonlinear entity and is henceforth considered a native of Temporal Prime. He no longer ages and cannot be affected by lifeline-related effects, and may "double" himself any number of times when visiting reality (including visiting his former, linear-existing self).

The rules for "doubling" oneself and info about the timestream (they're related) are pretty extensive, so I'll leave that for another time.  I assume there's some interest in that, although either way it might help for me to write it out anyway as a reference so you'll know what I'm talking about when I refer to the timestream, lifelines, and so on and why certain aspects of the spells and abilities work in certain ways.  In the meantime, any suggestions for the remaining prereq feats would be helpful.

RAW means the "Rules as Written"

Why do you want so many prerequisites? The more you have the less people will be interested in using your class.

If you want to encourage a high-ish wis, how about saying "Wisdom 15+" as a prereq. 

Well, I'm responding to the criticism that the Chronomancy spell list is a big advantage that makes the class too powerful.  In my design, the spell list is made available right at level 1 (as a Timebender), and as pointed out, it not only gives several new spells but also makes some of the well-used "standard" spells available at lower levels.  I suppose one way to deal with it is to edit the spell list, but to be honest I really like the way it is at the moment:

Show

Chronomancy Spell List--

Level 0--

Incite: Enchantment spell that compels a group of creatures to not delay or ready actions (from Spell Compendium, but one level lower).

Inhibit: Enchantment spell that compels a creature to delay its action (from Spell Compendium, but one level lower).

Slow Metabolism: Transmutation spell that can slow the onset of poison and need for food & drink.

Speed Metabolism: Transmutation spell that can starve & weaken a target (gets -1 CON) with need for food & drink.

Level 1--

Advance Image: Illusion spell that puts an image of the caster's future self over him, for a +1 atk bonus.

Delay Image: Illusion spell that puts an image of the caster's past self over him, for a +2 AC bonus and a +1 save bonus against magical attacks targeting him.

Cheat: Transmutation spell that influences the outcome of a nonmagical game of chance that takes place within the spell's duration (from Spell Compendium).

Nerveskitter: Transmutation spell that gives target creature a +5 bonus to initiative rolls during the encounter in which this spell is cast (from Spell Compendium).

Level 2--

Precognitive Sense: Divination spell that gives general knowledge of a single event affecting the Chronomancer to a limited extent in his future.

Temporal Disjunction: Enchantment spell that confuses a target's sense of the passage of time; it automatically can be surprised, loses all initiative rolls, and loses one attack per round (if it has more than one attack per round).

Haste: Transmutation spell from PHB, but one level lower.

Slow: Transmutation spell from PHB, but one level lower.

Level 3--

Melee Manager: Enchantment spell that grants a creature an extra melee attack, as well as bonuses to initiative, surprise, and AC for its duration.

Time Snare: Enchantment spell that compels a target to repeat his last action in a continuous loop.

Shift Reality: Transmutation spell that forces a target to reroll a single event from the previous round; includes atk/dmg/saves/skills.

Timeheal: Transmutation spell that alters a target's physical body to its previous physical condition (the past physique is "brought forward" to replace the current one) from only a few moments earlier.

Level 4--

Prophecy: Divination spell that grants the Chronomancer a vision of an important event that directly affects another person.

Savage Evolution: Transmutation spell that alters target's biology to a more feral/primitive form; STR/DEX/CON are improved at the greater expense of INT/WIS/CHR.

Temporal Push: Transmutation spell that throws a creature through a partial opening to Temporal Prime, instantly depositing them a short "distance" into the future.

Permanency: Universal spell from PHB, but one level lower.

Level 5--

Temporal Wall: Evocation spell that creates a wall made of the strange mist-smoke of Temporal Prime; any person or object passing through the wall suffers the effects of Temporal Disjunction and 2 cumulative Slow spells. Dispel Magic cannot affect this Wall.

Ray of Entropy: Necromancy spell that weakens a living creature with -4 penalties to STR/DEX/CON (from Spell Compendium, but one level lower).

Mass Haste: Transmutation spell from PHB, but one level lower.

Minor Paradox: Transmutation spell that allows the Chronomancer to take back an action he took, or to insert an action where he had previously taken no action. The action (in either case) is limited to several rounds in the past.

Level 6--

Temporal Eye: Divination spell that sends a scrying device across Temporal Prime, allowing the Chronomancer to view people and places in other eras.

Delayed Blast Fireball: Evocation spell from PHB, but one level lower.

Accelerate Lifeline: Transmutation spell that allows the Chronomancer to advance the age of another creature with a touch (shortening that creature's lifeline).

Regress Lifeline: Transmutation spell that allows the Chronomancer to reduce the age of another creature with a touch (extending that creature's lifeline).

Level 7--

Delayed Damage: Abjuration spell that shifts half of all physical damage to the Chronomancer into his future, allowing him time to prepare, heal, take potions, etc.

Item Supercharger: Transmutation spell that alters properties of a magical item. The duration of the item's effect may be doubled, or the frequency of uses/day may be doubled, or time needed to recharge the item is halved.

Paradox: Transmutation spell that allows the Chronomancer to alter an event in which he participated within the past month.

Level 8--

Foresight: Divination spell from PHB, but one level lower.

Temporal Stasis: Transmutation spell from PHB, but one level lower.

Time Stop: Transmutation spell from PHB, but one level lower.

Level 9--

Major Paradox: Transmutation spell that allows the Chronomancer to alter an event he had control of that occurred up to one year in the past.

Temporal Shell: Transmutation spell that creates a bubble within which the Chronomancer (and all others within) experience time normally, but outside the bubble, time has frozen.

So, the only prereqs to gain access to all this are the Chronomancer prereqs, and my thought was that to "balance" the power offered by getting that first level of Chronomancer was to make it more demanding to become a Chronomancer in the first place.  Again, this is my first time at this so that's all I could figure for making adjustments.  Now, I certainly don't want to prevent people from choosing this as a prestige class, but I also think that the prereqs should reflect the rather unique "niche" of conceiving/studying/philosophizing about the nature of time.  And the only feats I can think of that specifically reference high scores in INT or WIS are things like Expertise or Stunning Fist, which have nothing to do with those intellectual pursuits.  But I also know that the regular prestige classes don't list specific INT or WIS minimums, so I'm trying to avoid that here while still encouraging high scores there.
However, my interpretation of the high-WIS requirement for the 2E Chronomancer is that it's important for that class to have an intuitive sense of the flow of time and how their actions might alter the timestream.  I think that relegating that to the "Vortex Vigilance" ability--which involves sensing and/or fixing disturbances in the actual timestream--is a good equivalence.  So I'm actually left hoping to encourage a high INT in the prestige class prereqs, in addition to the other basics I listed, to demonstrate the character's grasp of the sophisticated concept of Temporal Prime, and to shore up the possible abuse of the Chronomancy spell list I've devised.
Now that I've had some time to think it over, I'm thinking that if I add another skill prereq, that could help encourage high-INT characters (of any spellcasting class), and maybe then I'd only include one other feat on top of the doubled-up Spell Focuses, so the question I have now is, does this design help balance the benefits provided by the prestige class (and most notably, the additional spells provided by the above spell list):

Show

Chronomancer

Requirements--

Feats: Spell Focus (Transmutation), Greater Spell Focus (Transmutation), Skill Focus (Knowledge: Arcana)
Skills: Concentration 8 ranks, Knowledge (Arcana) 8 ranks, Knowledge (History) 8 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks

Class Features--
5          +2       +1       +1       +4                                                Time Traveler
10        +5       +3       +3       +7                                                Time Lord

Spells Per Day: Except at levels 5 and 10, when a new Chronomancer level is gained, he gets new spells per day as if he had gained a level in his pre-existing spellcasting class.

Timebender: The Chronomancer's studies have produced knowledge of the magics that will allow him to wield the forces of Temporal Prime. The Chronomancy spell list is added to the list of spells the character can learn, and his mind is unaltered by changes in the timestream.

Lifeline Sounding: The Chronomancer, with a successful touch, can connect with a creature's lifeline and roughly determine its length forward and backward from that moment in time. Usable 3/month.

Metamagic Distortion: The Chronomancer gains either the Extend Spell feat or the Quicken Spell feat.

Time Traveler: The Chronomancer gains the ability to thin the barrier between reality and Temporal Prime and slip between the two, along with an additional mass and/or other people (within limits set by the number of Chronomancer levels). Arriving in Temporal Prime places travelers slightly downstream among the network of lifelines; the Chronomancer must focus on a lifeline to effect the transfer back to reality, arriving within 1d10 miles of the creature associated with that lifeline.  Usable 2/day.

Transcendent Culturist: The Chronomancer, having experienced different eras, can now apply his Speak Language skill to learn past & future dialects of any language, and his Knowledge (History) skill can be applied to past & future events. Note that extensive experience in a particular era--or alterations to the timestream--by this or other Chronomancers can alter the DC of the Knowledge check.

Temporal Mastery: The Chronomancer gains the Spell Mastery feat (as a Wizard), but the spells chosen must come from the Chronomancy spell list.

Vortex Vigilance: The Chronomancer can attempt to detect or detach the presence of a vortex (a type of temporal anomaly, usually the result of a disturbance in the timestream) on Temporal Prime.  Usable (WIS bonus)/day.

Time Lord: The Chronomancer has determined a ritual that will permanently detach himself from his own lifeline; it will be the end of his linear existence, but not the end of his life. He becomes a nonlinear entity and is henceforth considered a native of Temporal Prime. He no longer ages and cannot be affected by lifeline-related effects, and may "double" himself any number of times when visiting reality (including visiting his former, linear-existing self).

So, the only prereqs to gain access to all this are the Chronomancer prereqs, and my thought was that to "balance" the power offered by getting that first level of Chronomancer was to make it more demanding to become a Chronomancer in the first place. 

Got you. The general consensus on prestige classes that ask you to suck now in order to be great later is that they are a bad idea. 

In real play what happens is that no one plays it unless they start high enough level to already by at the awesome part. Alternatively, someone plays the class and pays the cost up front, and then is weak early and so they die before they get the good powers.

Okay, I think I've decided to reduce the prereqs to just the Spell Focus feats, and make the rest about the skills, though with a couple of tweaks.  I think the following design is sufficiently accessible to all spellcasting classes while also preserving the main intent of the original class designs:

Chronomancer

Requirements--

Alignment: Any non-chaotic
Feats: Spell Focus (Transmutation), Greater Spell Focus (Transmutation)
Skills: Concentration 8 ranks, Knowledge (Arcana) 8 ranks, Knowledge (History) 4 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks

Class Skills: Concentration, Knowledge (any), Speak Language, Spellcraft, Craft, Profession
Skill Points at each level: 2+INT modifier
Proficiencies: No additional weapon/armor proficiencies

Class Features--

Time Traveler: The Chronomancer gains the ability to thin the barrier between reality and Temporal Prime and slip between the two, along with an additional mass (up to 25lbs per Chronomancer level) and/or other people (1 additional person per two Chronomancer levels).  The Chronomancer must focus on one of the lifelines within the network on Temporal Prime to effect the transfer back to reality, arriving within 1d10 miles of the creature associated with that lifeline.  Usable 2/day.  Note: Traveling through time via Temporal Prime introduces an entirely new level of adventuring to a campaign, so DMs may choose to halt Chronomancer progress at level 4.  For those who do want to try this and the upper levels of the prestige class, I'll post some info about Temporal Prime and some of the rules (such as not being able to interact with your own past/future self) and effects of time travel later.

Transcendent Culturist: The Chronomancer, having experienced different eras, can now apply his Speak Language skill to speak past & future dialects of any language he knows, and his Knowledge (History) skill can be applied to past & future events. Note that extensive experience in a particular era--or alterations to the timestream--by this or other Chronomancers can alter the DC of the Knowledge check.

Vortex Vigilance: The Chronomancer can attempt to detect or detach the presence of a vortex (a type of temporal anomaly, usually the result of a disturbance in the timestream) on Temporal Prime.  Usable (WIS bonus)/day.

So, how does this look?  It's not exclusive to Wizards, but I think it does generally favor them between the feats and the skills, so that it encourages much of what the original book had in its designs.  As always, feedback is appreciated!

It kind of feels like a 1 level dip. You get something awesome at level 1, and then nothing cool until level 4, and even that is just a feat. Level 5 is also cool, but you are asking people to sit through 3 levels of "nothing cool". I can see a lot of people just taking the first level and then moving on to something else.

It kind of feels like a 1 level dip. You get something awesome at level 1, and then nothing cool until level 4, and even that is just a feat. Level 5 is also cool, but you are asking people to sit through 3 levels of "nothing cool". I can see a lot of people just taking the first level and then moving on to something else.

As mentioned a one level dip into the class costs almost nothing yet gives you much earlier access to a number of spells.  Even taking four levels in the class to pick up an bonus feats doesn't "cost" anything.  Mentioning that "some DMs may want to limit this class to four levels" also how strong this class would be even if not taken to completion.

I'm sorry but I strongly believe this class needs to "suck" at first level (no spellcasting advancement would be ideal) given some of the classes other benefits especially lowering the spell level requirements for a number of spells.
Okay, I think I have something of a handle on this now...it looks like the Timebender feature (with its access to the Chronomancy Spell List) is the main/major benefit being offered, and it's being given too soon.  I think I was too eager to incorporate that spell list, for the simple fact that it's immediately available to 2E Chronomancers.  Upon reflection (and thanks to your feedback), I think it would actually make better sense to switch it with the Metamagic Distortion feature.  In terms of character progression, this is how the prestige class would unfold:

The character, having demonstrated an interest in the structure of history as a series of choices and events (indicated by the non-chaotic alignment and Knowledge-History skill), specialized in understanding how magic can shape reality (indicated by the Spell Focus feats), and learned a significant amount about what magic is capable of and the principles of wielding magic (the Knowledge-Arcana and Spellcraft skills), comes to the realization that there must be a way of influencing time itself via magical means.  His inital venture down the road of discovering the implications of this promptly yields results that affects how time relates to the wielding of his magic (Metamagic Distortion).  Though not exactly a revolutionary discovery, he's encouraged by this new perspective and continues to devote effort (research, study, philosophical musings, etc) to these new concepts, until he develops the beginnings of the notion of a more fundamental level of reality (Temporal Prime), and that all creatures with a linear existence must have some presence there (lifelines).  This ultimately leads to a technique that allows him to perceive that aspect of a creature (Lifeline Sounding).  With confirmation that he's correctly determined this more fundamental dimension of existence, he then has the freedom to develop more sophisticated means of wielding temporal forces, leading to a new category of magical abilities (Timebender).  The rest of the progression--to Time Traveler and beyond--would then continue to show the character's progression as he becomes ever-more advanced in his understanding and abilities.  This now makes a little more sense to me in terms of character development; the advanced/powerful options of the Chronomancy Spell List are still available, but only after the character has reached an advanced understanding of the concepts of Temporal Prime.   Mechanically speaking (and tweaking a couple other things), here's what I think:

Chronomancer

Requirements--

Skills: Concentration 8 ranks, Knowledge (Arcana) 8 ranks, Knowledge (History) 4 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks

Class Skills: Concentration, Knowledge (any), Speak Language, Spellcraft, Craft, Profession

Class Features--
1          +0       +0       +0       +2      +1 lvl spellcasting class     Metamagic Distortion
2          +1       +0       +0       +3      +1 lvl spellcasting class
3          +1       +1       +1       +3                                                Lifeline Sounding
4          +2       +1       +1       +4      +1 lvl spellcasting class     Timebender
8          +4       +2       +2       +6                                                Vortex Vigilance

Spells Per Day: Except at levels 3, 5, 8, and 10, when a new Chronomancer level is gained, he gets new spells per day as if he had gained a level in his pre-existing spellcasting class.

Time Traveler: The Chronomancer gains the ability to thin the barrier between reality and Temporal Prime and slip between the two, along with an additional mass (up to 25lbs per Chronomancer level) and/or other people (1 additional person per two Chronomancer levels).  The Chronomancer must focus on one of the lifelines within the network on Temporal Prime to effect the transfer back to reality, arriving within 1d10 miles of the creature associated with that lifeline.  Usable 1/day.  Note: Traveling through time via Temporal Prime introduces an entirely new level of adventuring to a campaign, so DMs may choose to halt Chronomancer progress at level 4.

Transcendent Culturist: The Chronomancer, having experienced different eras, can now apply his Speak Language skill to speak past & future dialects of any language he knows, and his Knowledge (History) skill can be applied to past & future events. Note that extensive experience in a particular era--or alterations to the timestream--by this or other Chronomancers can alter the DC of the Knowledge check.

Temporal Mastery: The Chronomancer gains either the Quicken Spell feat or the Spell Mastery feat (as a Wizard), but the spells chosen must come from the Chronomancy spell list.

I decided that a Chronomancer is unable to devote the time/effort/attention necessary to gain a "standard" level of advancement in spellcasting when he develops the sophisticated concepts/theories/techniques necessary for the spell-like abilities in the features of Lifeline Sounding, Time Traveler, Vortex Vigilance, and Time Lord.  That seems to make sense from a narrative standpoint, I hope it also holds up for game-balance too.

Overall, I think I'm liking this design even better...in my opinion, it seems to have a sensible flow from a narrative-character-development perspective, and I *think* it may address the concerns you've been voicing.  Thanks again for all the help, and if you could comment on this latest design I'd really appreciate it.  Hoping for a winner!  :D

with the newest revision I get a feat at level 1, and then nothing particularly awesome until level 4. And I've got to eat a non-casting level to get there? I don't know how many people will invest those 4 levels, unless the game starts with them at a high enough level to just do it.

I think it needs something cool at level 2 to tide people over until 4. What about something like the ability to age/deage people with a touch? Just throwing out ideas. 

Also, why can't people just use layline sounding constantly? It doesn't seem really powerful, so the 3/month seems pretty arbitrarily delayed. Also 1/week gives a similar frequency, but is a lot easier to track. 

The aging/deaging-with-a-touch ability was a class feature in my initial design, and the only reason why it was there was because I adapted it from the spell in the 2E Chronomancer book...the effect has since been restored to the current version of the Chronomancy Spell List (see the level 6 spells, Accelerate/Regress Lifeline).

As I mentioned before, I'm reluctant to make Lifeline Sounding an ability with unlimited uses, because it could quickly wear out a DM.  "I do a Lifeline Sounding on each member of my party before we head out this morning...how much longer will we live?"  "Hey guys, we each have 60 years left, so we're not going to have to worry about life-threatening encounters today!"  "We had a rough morning of encounters, maybe our actions after hearing about our lifelines changed our behavior enough that our lifelines no longer have 60 years left...hey DM, I'm going to check us all again!"  And assorted variations thereof.  3/month was just an arbitrary choice on my part; 1/week probably would be simpler, so I'd be fine changing it to that.

In between level 1 and level 3, the Chronomancer character is still working out temporal theories, and I could see him gaining some sort of ability related to being more aware of the passage and flow of time, thereby laying the groundwork for his realization that creatures have lifelines that form a network through time (and Temporal Prime).  If giving the level 2 Chronomancer an ability to represent this would be an improvement, I have three possible suggestions:

A) He gains the Improved Initiative feat.  This is just the simplest, most obvious choice that occurs to me, but I get the impression that handing him another feat (especially one so universally useful) would probably be too much.

B) He gets half the Improved Initiative bonus...something like "Timestream Sensitivity: The Chronomancer gets a +2 bonus to initiative."  It's not as good as Improved Init, but it can be combined with that feat and still ain't too shabby on its own.  However, I don't know if this would still be too potent.

C) He'd get something like "Perceptual Clock: The Chronomancer can estimate the passage of time between any two perceived events with 100% accuracy for any events he has directly experienced, and with 90% accuracy for any events that he can observe, and with 80% accuracy for events described to him by a secondary party."  A simple example: the Chronomancer comes into a room with a fire on the fireplace, and just by looking at the fire he can tell how long it's been burning for--and how much longer it will continue to burn in its current state--within 10% of the actual length of time.  He can reasonably estimate the biological age of others, he can tell how fresh food is, he'll know how long ink will last before it fades (with complete accuracy if he's mixed the ink himself), etc. etc.  There might be some interesting applications for this ability, though I can't think of that many offhand and virtually none of them have any real impact on the game mechanics, so overall it seems kind of weak...but I'm suggesting it in case the other two options are too good.

Add a line of text to the ability that says something about how "that length was based on you not knowing the future. Now that you know it, that may change." So it can be used to estimate stuff, but when used on a PC it doesn't tell the player anything. It can also allow wiggle room for NPCs, and explain any mistakes that happen. 

I like an init bonus. Seems to fit. Improved init is cool, but something like "add half your chronomancer levels as a bonus to init" encourages people to stick with the class. 

Here's an idea: I'm going to make a couple more conditions on how to use the Sounding ability, so that some of the responsibility on when and how to use it is up to the player, so hopefully it'll restrain them from using it willy-nilly.  By doing so, I'd then be okay with allowing unlimited uses of the ability.  Also, I like that scaling init bonus idea, so here we go:

Chronomancer

Requirements--

Class Features--
1          +0       +0       +0       +2      +1 lvl spellcasting class     Metamagic Distortion
2          +1       +0       +0       +3      +1 lvl spellcasting class     Timestream Awareness
3          +1       +1       +1       +3                                                Lifeline Sounding
4          +2       +1       +1       +4      +1 lvl spellcasting class     Timebender
8          +4       +2       +2       +6                                                Vortex Vigilance

Spells Per Day: Except at levels 3, 5, 8, and 10, when a new Chronomancer level is gained, he gets new spells per day as if he had gained a level in his pre-existing spellcasting class.

Timestream Awareness: The Chronomancer's developing understanding of the nature of time gives him a heightened sensitivity to events.  He gets a +1 bonus to initiative for every 2 Chronomancer levels he has.

Lifeline Sounding: The Chronomancer's has discovered a disciplined technique for sensing and measuring the linear existence of other creatures (their lifelines).  After focusing on a chosen subject for a minute, the Chronomancer must make physical contact with that subject (a touch attack if it's unwilling) and succeed at a Concentration check (against DC 20, rolled by the DM) in order to connect with its lifeline.  Success on both the contact and the check allows the Chronomancer to roughly determine the length of that creature's lifeline (both forward and backward) from that moment in time. Failure to make physical contact gives no result; a successful contact but failure on the Concentration check yields an incorrect guess (determined by the DM).  Note: What the Chronomancer subsequently does (or doesn't do) with this information may (or may not) alter that creature's lifeline.

Timebender: The Chronomancer's studies have produced knowledge of the magics that will allow him to wield the forces of Temporal Prime. The Chronomancy spell list is added to the list of spells the character can learn, and his mind is unaltered by changes he makes in the timestream.

Time Traveler: The Chronomancer gains the ability to thin the barrier between reality and Temporal Prime and slip between the two, along with an additional mass (up to 25lbs per Chronomancer level) and/or other people (1 additional person per two Chronomancer levels).  The Chronomancer must focus on one of the lifelines within the network on Temporal Prime to effect the transfer back to reality, arriving within 1d10 miles of the creature associated with that lifeline.  Usable 1/day.  Note: Traveling through time via Temporal Prime introduces an entirely new level of adventuring to a campaign, so DMs may choose to halt Chronomancer progress at level 4.

Temporal Mastery: The Chronomancer gains either the Quicken Spell feat or the Spell Mastery feat (as a Wizard), but the spells chosen must come from the Chronomancy spell list.

So a Lifeline Sounding is similar to how palm readings are done (in the movies, anyway).  Whether or not the result can be altered (changing destiny) or not (immutable fate) is left up to the DM, but because the result isn't automatically successful or correct, the player has to choose if he's going to go to the trouble of setting up the Sounding and trusting the result.  If he decides it's worth it, then the DM will follow through; and if not, the DM is spared the effort of responding to a player's arbitrary whims.  I chose DC 20 kind of randomly though (off the top of my head, really); I think it'd be fine but let me know if it seems too high or low.  And of course, please let me know if the design looks good enough to play with.  :D

I like it and would strongly consider playing one. 1 question though, who non-chaotic only? 

I don't know much about Dr. Who, but he seems like a great example of a chaotic chronomancer. His fans also seem like your target audience for this class.