Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms - Excepts: Hearth and Home

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms 
Excerpts: Hearth and Home

By D&D Team

In today's look inside Ed Greenwood Presents: Elminster's Forgotten Realms, we continue with Chapter 3: Hearth and Home. "Every player whose character has been attacked at home, in bed, or has arrived home battered and weary after a hard adventure to find that home looted, burned to the ground, or under the bulk of a grinning dragon, knows the sickening shock, the violation, of having one’s home messed with. As the beggar Jorthyn famously told King Azoun IV of Cormyr: I’ll fight for my best begging spot, Majesty, just as fiercely as you’ll defend yon Palace."

Talk about this excerpt here.

I thought this book would be about the uniqueness of Ed Greenwood's home campaign. From everything I've seen so far, it's just another generic FR setting book and I've got a dozen of those already on my shelf. In their next preview WotC needs to show us something special  from Ed's campaign or I'm very hesitant to buy this book.
i agree completely, and i posted as much a couple of days ago. i decided to delete that post though; not bc it was harsh, but bc i think that drawing any attention to this product, even negative attention, is more than it deserves. even if there is an appendix or something with ed's notes, at this point, it is clear that wizards advertising for this product was misleading. this is not an inside look at ed's home game. this is just another old fr sourcebook, not unlike the ones that i bought in the 80s and 90s and 2000s. the really shameful thing is that wizards will be selling a generic fr book again in a year or so for 5e. all i can really do is vote with my wallet and hope wizards' product lines fail miserably.

Forgotten Realms books that consist of nothing but fluff, like this book and the Menzo book, are actually worse than no books at all, since the setting already suffers from having way too regimented fluff.  One of the main positives about the 4E FR books is that it opened the setting up a lot more by eliminating a lot of the major players.  This book does nothing more than damage the progress that was made in making the realms actually playable again.

I sincerely hope this book and the Menzo book sell very poorly so WotC can see that pure fluff books are garbage.  It is pretty bad that they stopped supporting 4E so they could shovel out this trash.
This is a classic Forgotten Realms setting book. Think Star Trek: The Original Series instead of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Basically, this is not the fourth edition version of the Realms. It is organized more like coffee table book and has such strange things as recipes for roasted cockatrice and baked stirge on toast. It is lacking any decent maps and isn't really setup as a good campaign primer. You will need the original Forgotten Realms Campaign Set (boxed) or the revised 2nd edition Campaign Setting (boxed) to go with it. It seems like a really good companion book to go with either of these boxed sets. It does have reproductions of single pages of Ed's notes he was sending to TSR editors. These reproductions aren't any sort of complete notes but more for curiosity pieces.
Sign In to post comments