Dragon's-Eye View: Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum

By Jon Schindehette

Giants . . .

Are they really something more than a tall human? Well, in the world of D&D, they sure are. James brought up a lot to chew on in his article about the giants. Whether or not you agree with everything he wrote, I’m going to be using a lot of his discussion as a basis for today’s game.

Game? Yep, we’re going to be playing a game again. Due to the newer formats of my articles, I’ve enjoyed getting more interesting and varied information in richer conversations. So today, we’re going to play!

Talk about this column here.

Article Header Image

Kalex the Omen 
Dungeonmaster Extraordinaire

OSR Fan? Our Big Announcement™ is here!

Please join our forums!

Concerning Player Rules Bias
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
Gaining victory through rules bias is a hollow victory and they know it.
Concerning "Default" Rules
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
The argument goes, that some idiot at the table might claim that because there is a "default" that is the only true way to play D&D. An idiotic misconception that should be quite easy to disprove just by reading the rules, coming to these forums, or sending a quick note off to Customer Support and sharing the inevitable response with the group. BTW, I'm not just talking about Next when I say this. Of course, D&D has always been this way since at least the late 70's when I began playing.

Really can't say I like any of the concept drawings.

A. Cloud Giant - Doesn't really look very cultured or refined, though I'd have to say he does look more so than the other giants.

B. Storm Giant - I am perhaps happiest with this rendering.  I would expect him to look more powerful physically, and to have more visual clues that say "magical."  Get rid of the long torso, stubby leg look.

C. Frost Giant - Not bad, but not fierce enough either.  Looks a little anemic.

D. Fire Giant - Wrong in so many ways.  This concept is a caricature.  Get rid of the stubby legs.  Give these guys normal proportions.  The sword is ridiculous, as is the armor.

E. Hill Giant - These guys build lodges and steadings?  This guy looks like wiping his arse is too much for him to handle.  Needs to go away from savage, mindless brute a bit more in the direction of stupid, but cunning.

F. Stone Giant - Also not bad, but less brutish in the face.  Stone giants have been lanky since 1st Edition AD&D so I don't have a problem with that.

I am also not a fan of the sizes listed.  I prefer the traditional size progression from smallest to largest of Hill Giant --> Stone Giant --> Frost Giant --> Fire Giant --> Cloud Giant --> Storm Giant.

Think you guys really missed the mark with this one.

Kalex the Omen 

Please join our forums!

Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
The argument goes, that some idiot at the table might claim that because there is a "default" that is the only true way to play D&D. An idiotic misconception that should be quite easy to disprove just by reading the rules, coming to these forums, or sending a quick note off to Customer Support and sharing the inevitable response with the group. BTW, I'm not just talking about Next when I say this. Of course, D&D has always been this way since at least the late 70's when I began playing.

This seems to be a trend with their art. If things continue the way they are nearly all of the monsters in the monster manual will be ugly malformed caricatures that almost but don't quite look the same as all the other monsters in the book.

Remember the goblin? The damned thing looked exactly like a dwarf sized orc.

Maybe R&D should send them more exact physical descriptions since the art department seems to have such limited imaginations. Come to think of it R&D seems to be stuck in a rut as well. 

Yeah those are terrible. Here's a simple guideline I wish the art team would put on a big poster on their wall, to be constantly reminded:

"Does it look goofy? If yes, start over."
By Jon Schindehette

Giants . . .

Are they really something more than a tall human? Well, in the world of D&D, they sure are. James brought up a lot to chew on in his article about the giants. Whether or not you agree with everything he wrote, I’m going to be using a lot of his discussion as a basis for today’s game.

Game? Yep, we’re going to be playing a game again. Due to the newer formats of my articles, I’ve enjoyed getting more interesting and varied information in richer conversations. So today, we’re going to play!

Talk about this column here.

you know, there was already a thread for this just a little down the page.

community.wizards.com/dndnext/go/thread/...
Must not have been on the front page when I opened this one.

Kalex the Omen 

Please join our forums!

Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
Kalex_the_Omen wrote: