Reprinting the D&D Rules Cyclopedia?

139 posts / 0 new
Last post
Add my name to the list of people wanting this book.

Hey WotC, I've got a fist full of dollars I want to give you. Take my money dammit!

It's nice to see Mr. Mentzer on here. BECMI is still the most fun edition to play, there's just something about it that captures the true spirit of D&D in my opinion.
Yet even another post asking for a reprint of the Rules Cyclopedia and the In Search of Adventure module collection, please. :-)
and here is another one... RC for President!

My RPG Campaigns

I joke that D&D Next is what happens when, A Christmas Carol-like, 3rd & 4th edition's ghosts travel back in time to an evening near the end of AD&D 2E's life, and say "this is what is coming" and so AD&D 2E heads off in a different direction. So, it's like alt-reality AD&D 3rd, maybe?Cam Banks

Also add my name.

I'm looking for this book a long time. It's one of the best of best D&D book ever published.

PDF and printed version please. 
Yes please, reprint the 1991 D&D Rules Cyclopedia. I will buy ten copies (some of those for my kids future use). My fav rpg book of all time.  The boxed sets of D&D rules would be nice, too, but please reprint the Rules Cyclopedia.
Another voice... I would definitely buy multiple copies.
Did I hear someone say this company is taking people's money? Yes, please!
I don't get in here often at all, but on seeing this via Twitter, I am absolutely required to drop in my support.

I have 2 copies of the original RC, but I would certainly buy 3-4 reprints of this for myself and my brothers. I can't throw my money at this hard enough...
Weem
Hit me up on Twitter: @theweem
Does the Rules Cyclopedia include character builds and monsters or is it more like the "Rules Compendium" for 4E Essentials?

If I recall, the Immortal box took players past 30th level. It would be interesting to see all the BECMI rules.
Does the Rules Cyclopedia include character builds and monsters or is it more like the "Rules Compendium" for 4E Essentials?

If I recall, the Immortal box took players past 30th level. It would be interesting to see all the BECMI rules.

The Master's boxset took players to level 36, and included the immortals quests.

I would buy a premium special ed RC as well. But I still want the 2E core books first. 

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Explore the new D&D podcast that is a celebration of all eras of the game! Discussing the loves, challenges, topics, ideas, and news of this great hobby in both a contemporary and historical view.

http://radiofreeborderlands.libsyn.com/

The Rules Cyclopedia included the complete rules from the Basic, Expert, Companion, and Master boxed sets (the Immortal rules were revised and later released in the Wrath of the Immortals boxed set).

Unlike the 4E Rules Compendium, the old Rules Cyclopedia was a complete game including character creation, DM guidelines and rules, monsters, and even some basic setting information on the Known World (aka Mystara).

All around helpful simian

Thanks people!

I agree it would be nice to reprint the Rules Cyclopedia and the Wrath of Immortals.
Does the Rules Cyclopedia include character builds and monsters or is it more like the "Rules Compendium" for 4E Essentials? If I recall, the Immortal box took players past 30th level. It would be interesting to see all the BECMI rules.

BECMI (mostly compiled into the RC) is the complete game, levels 1-36 (the RedBox Basic, Expert, Companion, and Master sets). The RC is (famously) the only edition of the game that has all the rules in one book -- and at about 300 pages it's not even a big book. The RC did add a skill system not found in the original game, and left out a few helpful but noncritical bits. It contains routes to immortality but nothing on the immortals themselves.

Beyond level 36 lies either the original Immortals set (if you want D&D-based superbeings who rarely interact with mortals, a separate game really) or the Wrath of the Immortals boxed set (in which mortals and immortals beat on each other a lot). I prefer the former, in part because it takes the game to a new level instead of replaying the same-old but on superhero steroids.
With the Amazon leak of the 2E premium core books (see other thread), this edition needs a re-issue also. I would prefer a box of BECMI all in one, but the RC & WotI would be awesome too. It's a damn good time to be a D&D player! Cool

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Explore the new D&D podcast that is a celebration of all eras of the game! Discussing the loves, challenges, topics, ideas, and news of this great hobby in both a contemporary and historical view.

I guess I just do not understand the world.  Why would WoTC not want to publish this game again?  This should be D&D Next: Rules Cyclopedia + additional books that you can add to that BECMI foundation which would give players whatever suits their gaming style: AD&D, 3.5 or 4th.  Do that, and - TahDah! - you've united the D&D gaming community!
God, how I wish they would re-print this. I've got my old copy but it's hard to run a table of six or seven out of one rulebook so I've switched to Labyrinth Lord. If it was available on ebay for less than human organ prices I'd pick up two more.
I guess I just do not understand the world.  Why would WoTC not want to publish this game again?  This should be D&D Next: Rules Cyclopedia + additional books that you can add to that BECMI foundation which would give players whatever suits their gaming style: AD&D, 3.5 or 4th.  Do that, and - TahDah! - you've united the D&D gaming community!

They've reprinted 1E books and they are going to reprint 2E books. Why not the Rules Cyclopedia? I say YES!

And as far as uniting the gaming community? Yeah, not gonna happen. That genie isn't ever going back in the bottle.

Another vote for reprinting the RC! One of the best rulebooks ever.
The Piazza A renaissance of the Old Worlds. Where any setting can be explored, any rules system discussed, and any combination of the two brought to life.
Most of the reprinted D&D books can be found cheaply on Amazon and eBay for far less than the shiny new delux edition. They appeal to the collector but less so for someone who just wants the books. 

However, the Rules Cyclopedia is hard to find for under $70, making a reprint viable for anyone and actually cheaper than a second hand copy of the original. That makes it a great freakin' idea. 

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

Also check out my books at 5mwd.com/publishingIncluding Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuildinga compilation of my blog series on Worldbuilding.

God, how I wish they would re-print this. I've got my old copy but it's hard to run a table of six or seven out of one rulebook so I've switched to Labyrinth Lord. If it was available on ebay for less than human organ prices I'd pick up two more.

Yes, that is why I switched over to Labyrinth Lord as well. Having to rely on increasingly rarer, costlier and more fragile books in play, was starting to become less of an option. A reprint would be most welcome.
Mad Scientist
I would also like to buy a reprint of the Rules Cyclopedia. Make it so Wizards!!Yell
I have a theory that the 1e, 3.5, and upcoming 2e reprints are so that new players can see how the game has evolved, and how 5e will bring play styles together (or at least allow players to see different game styles to help with the 5e playtest, design, and feedback). It's not a great theory, but it is one. lol

That being said, I'm fairly certain that either the Rules Cyclopedia, or a grand boxset containing all the BECMI booklets will be reissued before 5e is released. It will not only make the players of the system happy, but help push the upcoming pdf sales when they are out, as IMO while many are okay with e-versions of the books, dead-tree product of the core rules is still preferred. 

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Print the RC please, WOTC. Even better would be be the Moldvay/Cook Basic & Expert booklets, either as they werte or meshed together in hardback 
I never had the chance to get a copy of the RC and if it was reprinted like they did with the 1e premium book I would definitely buy a copy (or 2).

Please consider doing this!
generated by sloganizer.net
This is the main reprint I'm interested in. I'm not interested in any of the 1e reprints, and the only 2e book I'd be interested in is the Monstrous Manual, but I already have it. 

There's still the original going for a rather high price in the second hand market, but I always like supporting a company that does something I like.

Only thing I'd like more is a Dragonlance 5th Age reprint. 
Late to the game, but it is worth repeating:

Do want.
This would be the only reprint book I would buy. I'm still a bit mad about no more 4e books so I know I will have a lot money this year as there's nothing for me to buy.
I'd want either the Rules Cyclopedia re-printed in a premium format,

OR

A premium box containing all the softcover, saddle-stapeled books from the BECMI sets. Oooo! How cool would that be?
Everyone here knows that you can get the 1981 Basic and Expert rulebooks as PDFs now from DnDClassics.com, right?

Steve

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.

Everyone here knows that you can get the 1981 Basic and Expert rulebooks as PDFs now from DnDClassics.com, right?

Steve

Yeah, but I think everyone's stoked on the 1991 version. I know I'd love to see the BECMI edition most of all.

And on another note, looks like my wish was (almost) granted. Now if only they'll do this to Mentzer's stuff.

And on another note, looks like my wish was (almost) granted. Now if only they'll do this to Mentzer's stuff.

That new boxed set is for the original 1974 D&D, not the basic edition. The Rules Cyclopedia edition is very different from the 1974 version.

Steve Winters, send the message to the WotC bosses, we want a reprint of the Rules Cyclopedia. Awesome book, one of the best books in the history of D&D. The only thing better would be a hardbound collection of BECMI (the art in those booklets was my favorite D&D art of all time)

That new boxed set is for the original 1974 D&D, not the basic edition. The Rules Cyclopedia edition is very different from the 1974 version.

Totally! That's why I said my wish was "almost" granted Wink. I think a treatment like this of all the BECMI sets would be rad!

I'll settle for a Rules Cyclopedia, though Smile
8 pages of requests and a cameo appearance by the living legend Frank Mentzer being ignored by the team at WOTC? Man I guess I have to say it again "WTF wotc"? The Rules Cyclopedia is worth reprinting. (If you print it they will buy). As opposed to Next which at this point only seeks to be an immitator of D&D.
Well to be fair, I haven't seen anything regarding the reprint of OD&D and yet here we are. Perhaps they're just not coming out and saying it. They're probably too hard at work on D&D5 and the Rules Cyclopedia reprint Wink.
I actually still play Basic on a regular basis so a reprint of this book would a huge help for me. Right now my old Basic books are so fragile I mostly play from PDF's on my tablet or even printouts. BUT... my players and I much prefer playing with dead trees in hand (even the young'uns!) so I'd probably end up buying 3 or 4 copies of the RC if it was reprinted.

This is a must buy book for me. I want all of the other reprints simply for collecting them, but the RC is a book I will USE. Please, please, please, please.....
8 pages of requests and a cameo appearance by the living legend Frank Mentzer being ignored by the team at WOTC? Man I guess I have to say it again "WTF wotc"? The Rules Cyclopedia is worth reprinting. (If you print it they will buy). As opposed to Next which at this point only seeks to be an immitator of D&D.

Keep in mind WotC plans their release schedule a year in advance. Even if they realized the RC would be great at the time of the first post it'd be many months before we saw the book. 

Also check out my books at 5mwd.com/publishingIncluding Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuildinga compilation of my blog series on Worldbuilding.

With pretty much all other iterations of D&D getting some reprint love, I am expecting the BEMCI/RC rules to be coming soon. Best bet would be to check Amazon, as it usually leaks there first.

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Rules Cyclopedia or BECMI in a premium edition or both... Every player in my group would buy at least one copy, and I'd buy 2!
Having skimmed a copy of the Creature Catalogue I'm surprise how many new and different monsters were in Basic that I know nothing about. There are pages and pages of classic monsters that are blank slates and perfect room for expansion. 

That's the kind of content we need more of. We need the best of those monsters in 5e. And the best way to do that is raise awareness via a reprinting. 

W o t C - Please re-print this book ! ! !

My group will buy 5 copies.

One of the best D & D books ever . . .