Any idea how to get to the Council of Spiders themes in character builder?

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
I can find the council of spiders themes in other campaigns, but if I try to make a character under the Council of Spiders campaign, they are not available.

I assume this is a mistake? 
I can find the council of spiders themes in other campaigns, but if I try to make a character under the Council of Spiders campaign, they are not available.

I assume this is a mistake? 

Well, the themes from Into the Unknown: Dungeon Survival Guide (the themes for last season) have been carried over to this season, and are in the Council of Spiders campaign setting. The themes that aren't included (and yes, it's a mistake) are the extra themes from Dragon 413. I have not been able to find them anywhere. I'm curious which themes you found in other campaign settings.
- Rico
The themes from Dragon 413 are listed in Home Campaign, as being from "Council of Spiders."
Yes, they are available in compendium too.  If you set source as Council of Spiders.

Does this need to be reported to WotC?  Do they know of the issue? 
Yes, they are available in compendium too.  If you set source as Council of Spiders.

Does this need to be reported to WotC?  Do they know of the issue? 

I tweeted this issue at Wizards_DnD, hopefully they'll fix it before session 1 next week...
Awesome.  Thanks rhlowe, please let me know if you hear anything.
The themes from Dragon 413 are listed in Home Campaign, as being from "Council of Spiders."

I tried that and couldn't find them. I'll have to check again.
- Rico

I tried that and couldn't find them. I'll have to check again.

OK. I found them. Not sure how I missed them before. Maybe I only tried using the Forgotten Realms setting, not the Home setting.

Also, I sent an email to WotC_GregB regarding the missing themes and other problems with the Council of Spiders setting in the Character Builder. Hopefully we'll get some action soon. 
- Rico
The Council of Spiders setting in Character Builder won't let you select Lolth as diety.

I hope that they resolve it by Wednesday. 
The Council of Spiders setting in Character Builder won't let you select Lolth as diety.

I hope that they resolve it by Wednesday. 

I included that in my email to Greg.

- Rico
Hey guys,

Since I'm new and this is the first time I'm using the character builder, I just want to be clear that there are themes missing from the Council of the Spider campaign and I'm not just supposed to go to another campaign. I want to have a legal build this Wednesday. I'm trying to build a Drow thief, Bregan D'aerthe Mercenary, but this does not seem to be an option. 

Thanks
Hey guys,

Since I'm new and this is the first time I'm using the character builder, I just want to be clear that there are themes missing from the Council of the Spider campaign and I'm not just supposed to go to another campaign. I want to have a legal build this Wednesday. I'm trying to build a Drow thief, Bregan D'aerthe Mercenary, but this does not seem to be an option. 

Thanks

That is correct on all counts. What you can do is build the character in the Character Builder without a theme. Then you'll have to hand write the information from the Bregan D'aerthe Mercenary theme, which you can find in Dragon 413.
- Rico
Hey guys,

Thanks

That is correct on all counts. What you can do is build the character in the Character Builder without a theme. Then you'll have to hand write the information from the Bregan D'aerthe Mercenary theme, which you can find in Dragon 413.

Thank you for the quick answer. I will do just that. 
If you are going to bring in powers from Dragon 413 from the themes and you want to format it nicely, check out this site:
power2ool.com/

It hasn't been updated in a while, but you can create custom powers in it with no problems...

Hope this helps,

Bryan  Blumklotz
If you are going to bring in powers from Dragon 413 from the themes and you want to format it nicely, check out this site:
power2ool.com/

It hasn't been updated in a while, but you can create custom powers in it with no problems...

Hope this helps,

Bryan  Blumklotz

Cool. As soon as I find the right 413 article. That sems easier said than done. So far, only found the one with Ooze Master. 
Bregan D'aerthe Mercenary theme is found in this one:
www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/d...

There are three seperate articles in Dragon 413 with Drow related themes...

Hope this helps,

Bryan
... I'm not just supposed to go to another campaign. I want to have a legal build this Wednesday.

What you can do is use the "Home Campaign" option in Character Builder. Then, carefully check the source of each option you select to make sure it's a legal source (Dragon 413, Menzobarrrizzle book, Into the Unknown and supporting Dragon article, and Heroes/Essentials books).

In this way, you will be able to create a character that is legal for the season and has all the options you want.

In short: the Council of Spiders campaign in Character Builder was still "broken" as of yesterday, and people at WotC have been notified. We all hope it gets fixed today, or at least before Wednesday. But nobody is holding their breath. 
GenCon finished a week ago, PAX prime is about to start this Thursday. I sincerely doubt any of these issues will get dealt with at least a week from the end of PAX.

My two coppers,

Bryan Blumklotz
In short: the Council of Spiders campaign in Character Builder was still "broken" as of yesterday, and people at WotC have been notified. We all hope it gets fixed today, or at least before Wednesday. But nobody is holding their breath. 

For those of you old enough to remember Chevy Chase's Weekend Updates on Saturday Night Live, "This just in. Character Builder still broken." Wink
- Rico
I know what a pain it is to test software, but this is ridiculous.  This entire campaign is based on drow, and the character builder does not allow Lolth to be chosen as a diety.  There was obviously absolutely no testing done on this release.  How does a professional company allow this to happen?  This is not some random guy writing freeware.  We pay for this stuff.  Most of my friends have cancelled their subscriptions.  This sort of stuff really makes me question my decision to remain.  We have been complaining about this for a week with no response at all.  In the current world of constant communication, how is this tolerated?
To add more fuel to the fire, regarding the themes from Dragon 413, even in the Home Campaign setting the themes from the article Fringes of Drow Society are still missing.
- Rico
To add more fuel to the fire, regarding the themes from Dragon 413, even in the Home Campaign setting the themes from the article Fringes of Drow Society are still missing.

I noticed that, too. They have the wrong Drow themes. I'm going to build the character manually from the theme on.  I'll use the builder to generate a basic Drow rogue and then add the theme from Dragon 413. Im just concerned that I'll put too many powers down but I'm sure the DM can help tonight. 

Not that I expect it to do much good, but I sent an email to customer service about all the problems with the Council of Spiders campaign setting. Specifically:

1. Missing Character Themes from Dragon 413 (including the themes from the Fringes of Drow Society article which don't show up in any of the campaign settings).
2. Missing Character Themes for non drow PCs
3. Drow (and in particular Clerics of Lolth) cannot choose Lolth as their deity.
4. Paladins of Lolth cannot choose an evil alignment.

Did I forget anything?         
- Rico
Not for Character Builder, and not that anyone will do anything about it, but the Treachery Card Worth conflicting rule needs to be sent to someone as well. 
Not that I expect it to do much good, but I sent an email to customer service about all the problems with the Council of Spiders campaign setting. Specifically:

1. Missing Character Themes from Dragon 413 (including the themes from the Fringes of Drow Society article which don't show up in any of the campaign settings).
3. Drow (and in particular Clerics of Lolth) cannot choose Lolth as their deity.

Did I forget anything?         

Gimper, how do I send stuff to customer service?  Maybe if we all express our discontent, it might make a difference.  Not that it has in the past 5 years, but still.

Did I forget anything?         

Gimper, how do I send stuff to customer service?  Maybe if we all express our discontent, it might make a difference.  Not that it has in the past 5 years, but still.

Well, if it's for the character builder, there's a link on the page for Report a Problem. That's what I used. other than that, go to the customer service section and click contact us.

- Rico

Did I forget anything?         

Well, at least I got some kind of response:

Subject
Missing options in Council of Spiders Campaign Setting

Discussion Thread
 Response Via Email (Support Agent)08/30/2012 11:20 AM
Hi Richard,

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. I have forwarded your email and all of the appropriate information to the teams in charge of handling problems like this. It really does help out so much when our customers, like yourself, contribute to making Dungeons and Dragons Character better and more accurate.

- Rico
I feel they really dropped the ball on this season. They make even more character creation restrictions than usual, and then turn around and provide a pregen character which technically isn't legal (warpriest of the death domain). It's the first season decided to go outside the bounds of the RAW character creation guide (I made a dark-pact hexblade) and the DM wouldn't allow it. I tried not to feel disagreeable, but if the pregens don't even follow the rules, why should I?
I ended up using the character builder to build a Drow Rogue and then addeded the Bregan D'Aerthe (spelling?) utility and bluff bonus, manually.  It worked out fine.  The only problem is that we had a huge table, so play was limited.  Next week, we break into two tables.
WOTC is PATHETIC! It's been three weeks since I submitted my report about the missing campaign elements in the Character Builder, and not only have they not fixed them, now the "Report An Issue" feature for the Character Builder doesn't work properly.

I think we need to start complaining to every official person at WOTC.

Edit: At this point I don't expect it to do any good, but I sent an email to WOTC_Trevor, Mike Mearls and James Wyatt.
- Rico
It looks as if they updated Council of Spiders them.  I found my Bregen D'aerthe theme there now.
That happened when they updated DDI with Dragon 413 (which is where all the themes that were not in Dungeoneer's Survival Guide came from).
It looks as if they updated Council of Spiders them.  I found my Bregen D'aerthe theme there now.

It's nice that, with just two weeks left in the current season, they finally updated the Character Builder to include that information. However, they still haven't fix all of the problems. For instance, you still cannot build a warpriest who worships Lolth using the campaign setting for this season.
- Rico
Actually the update and "fix" was 2 weeks ago,

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Granted, it was just over half way through the season...

Yeah this is less than ideal.

Bryan Blumklotz
Actually the update and "fix" was 2 weeks ago,

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Granted, it was just over half way through the season...

Yeah this is less than ideal.

Bryan Blumklotz

Yeah. I was checking it regularly, but I didn't always check the same character or element. Sometimes I just checked the warpriest to see if choosing Lolth was an option. So, I missed it a couple of weeks ago.
- Rico
Sign In to post comments