Encounters Season 10?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys and gals...answer me this if ya will please! We have 3 or 4  nights left of this season, and I can't see anything on the horizon for a next season as of today. What are ya'll going to do at your stores? We were thinking of doing a couple things

1. Run an old first edition mdule in the encounters style...since the reprints of the books came out, I've had a lot of interest in starting a 1st edition campaign.  It wouldn't be hard to work an old module into 10 to 13 sessions.

2. Everyone in my group has signed up for the playtest (I will have the ones that haven't sign up at the shop before they can play) Maybe I run the old Caves of Chaos for 10-13 weeks.

I know that the 3.5 books are about to be re-released as well, but thats not until October.  I won the Ennies Dream Date at Gen Con this year, maybe this will be a good question for Mike Mearles or Mr. Perkins!

Let me know what ya'll think! 
Greg 
It's better to burn out than fade away!

D&D Encounters Season 10 is called Council of Spiders. You FLGS can sanction it now. It's part 2 of a 3-part story arc that began in D&D Encounters: Web of the Spider Queen (season 9) and will continue on through season 11. Season 10 is only 9 weeks (Aug 22 - Oct 17) the shortest season yet. There's a rumour that players will have the option of running the same PC through all 3 adventures but at this time it's still just unsubstantiated rumour.

Visit Dungeon's Master.com – The D&D Resource Blog For DMs and Players.
http://dungeonsmaster.com
Follow me on Twitter @ameron_dm

D&D Encounters Season 10 is called Council of Spiders. You FLGS can sanction it now. It's part 2 of a 3-part story arc that began in D&D Encounters: Web of the Spider Queen (season 9) and will continue on through season 11. Season 10 is only 9 weeks (Aug 22 - Oct 17) the shortest season yet. There's a rumour that players will have the option of running the same PC through all 3 adventures but at this time it's still just unsubstantiated rumour.

From the August in the Works column:

Rise of the Underdark: Step Into Shadow

You also have just a few weeks left to participate in the drow puzzle hunt. Each week, three clues are provided on the website (in one of the Daily D&D spotlight boxes), through the D&D Facebook page, and on the D&D Twitter channel. Enter the answers to those clues, and—assuming you’ve answered them correctly—you’ll unlock knowledge about the drow and their nefarious schemes, as well as special preview content.

In recent weeks, these previews have included the following:

• July 25th: D&D Encounters: Council of Spiders cover art and introduction.

Has anyone answered all the questions and gained access to this material? It would be nice to see the introduction.
- Rico
I cheated and looked at what WotC had planned for PAX Prime. In the D&D Encounters Council of Spiders section it mentions playing as the "bad guys". This coupled with the release of Menzoberranzan and the new Drow Treachery fortune cards leads me to believe next season is all about the all-drow party.
Wizard's first rule: People are stupid.
This coupled with the release of Menzoberranzan and the new Drow Treachery fortune cards leads me to believe next season is all about the all-drow party.

What a strange coincidence. I was working on a batch of all Drow characters for next season. (I tend to make a PC for each role and fill in gaps at the table as needed.)
RS: 60/60 CS: 60/60 RotS: 60/60 U:60/60 CotF: 60/60 BH: 60/60 A&E: 51/60 TFU: 53/60 LotF: 37/60 KotOR: 37/60 CW: 26/40 IE: 31/40 JA: 17/40 G@W: 7/40 DT: 7/40 Good trades with: Lily_Wan, creme_brule, suki_jedi_apprentice, Ephant_Mon
If my store doesn't get the play materials for the next season in by next week, that's probably what I'm going to have to do. Make pregens for the store. "Oh you brought a non-drow character? Take your pick from this pile."
I cheated and looked at what WotC had planned for PAX Prime. In the D&D Encounters Council of Spiders section it mentions playing as the "bad guys". This coupled with the release of Menzoberranzan and the new Drow Treachery fortune cards leads me to believe next season is all about the all-drow party.

Not entirely sure I like that.
- Rico
Other sources are saying "drow and their allies". So I would say Evil characters and maybe some unaligned are possible in that case. But given that choice, most of the people at my store would probably choose Drow anyway.

From Warhorn:
DnD Encounters Season 10: Council of Spiders (D&D 4e)
This adventure is a continuation of the Rise of the Underdark™ story that began in D&D Encounters: Web of the Spider Queen™. (Players need not have participated in the Web of the Spider Queen adventure to fully enjoy the Council of Spiders!) • Players create 1st-level agents of a drow house out for their own aims • Council of Spiders is the first D&D Encounters adventure where evil characters are allowed!
Yeah..as soon as I posted this, I went to the WER and noticed that the Council of SPiders was there, I guess I thought it was the same one we were playing now...I don't know...a big brain fart!
It's better to burn out than fade away!
Other sources are saying "drow and their allies". So I would say Evil characters and maybe some unaligned are possible in that case. But given that choice, most of the people at my store would probably choose Drow anyway.

From Warhorn:
DnD Encounters Season 10: Council of Spiders (D&D 4e)
This adventure is a continuation of the Rise of the Underdark™ story that began in D&D Encounters: Web of the Spider Queen™. (Players need not have participated in the Web of the Spider Queen adventure to fully enjoy the Council of Spiders!) • Players create 1st-level agents of a drow house out for their own aims • Council of Spiders is the first D&D Encounters adventure where evil characters are allowed!

Well, that's pretty much going to shoot my original plan right down. I was planning on allowing my players to level up their current characters to 4th and continue playing. But this sounds like, even if they can play at a higher level, it still won't be possible to play their current characters. I may have to reconsider my plan to keep DMing.
- Rico
"Players create 1st-level agents ..."

[sigh]
Perhaps the party could use a Mass Polymorph ritual (think there's something in the Dungeon Survival Guide) to gain audience with the Matron Mothers - perhaps supplied by one of the conniving drow priestess's.

This could allow the party to appear as drow for the initial part of this short season before continuing as themselves.

"Well that encounter was easy....er, guys, why is the DM grinning?" (party members last words)

It's not a party till the screaming starts!

Follow me on Twitter @Vobeskhan or check out my blog http://vobeskhan.wordpress.com/

Perhaps the party could use a Mass Polymorph ritual (think there's something in the Dungeon Survival Guide) to gain audience with the Matron Mothers - perhaps supplied by one of the conniving drow priestess's.

This could allow the party to appear as drow for the initial part of this short season before continuing as themselves.

I think the issue is less playing non-Drow characters and more finding a reason that Good-aligned characters would want to help Evil-aligned ones.
I think the issue is less playing non-Drow characters and more finding a reason that Good-aligned characters would want to help Evil-aligned ones.

Good point, I haven't received my DM pack yet so haven't read any of the adventure, most of the pc's in my two sessions are either unaligned or in at least one case, evil, so possibly a little easier from my side.

I look forward to seeing how more of you come up with solutions though, I always find these forums a source of inspiration and ideas.

"Well that encounter was easy....er, guys, why is the DM grinning?" (party members last words)

It's not a party till the screaming starts!

Follow me on Twitter @Vobeskhan or check out my blog http://vobeskhan.wordpress.com/

Sign In to post comments