Miniatures

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
If you are just like me, you're gonna use miniatures.

I've gone through the whole adventure and have begun making my list of miniatures I will use/need this season. I will share that list here as soon as I have completed it.

Please share any miniature plans you may have. It wouldn't be the first time someone's suggestion influenced mine and had me scrambling back to change my initial choice. Plus, I just really enjoy learning what other people plan on using.

Here's what I plan on using tonight for Session 1—
Show
Drow Scouts: Drow Blademaster - Desert of Desolation
(This miniature is also found in the Legend of Drizzt board game)
Drow Stalkers: Lolth's Sting - Underdark
Drow Archers: Xen'drik Champion - Underdark
For the "civilians" in this session I made custom counters.

Of course I base my choices on what I have available in my personal collection.

Here are some pictures from last nights game table.
The Drow invade the Old Skull Inn and find that the residents of the third floor will not surrender without a fight.

The Drow attackers are surprised to see one of their own among the resisters. The Drow focus on him and poison the renegade Drow.

Three of the defenders fall to the blades and bows of the invading Drow, yet they are able to defeat the attackers and save their fallen comrades.
For this week's session—

Show

As can be seen in the photos I posted last week, I will be using a paper token to represent the doppleganger in it's disguised form before it joins the fray.
Doppelganger sneak: Changling Rogue - Unhallowed DDM set
Shadowdale drow templar: Drow Arcane Guard - Underdark DDM set
Shadowdale drow informant: Drow rogue - Giants of Legend DDM set
Here's some shots from last weeks session. I would have posted them on Thursday but didn't want to spoil the encounter for those who had yet to attend their sessions.

The heroes move in to protect Lady Ulphor and encounter hidden/invisible drow. Magical darkness is dropped and the darkened tower becomes even moreso, making the Light spell the Eladrin dropped a little useless.

The drow templars keep the heroes on the ground while even more drow arrive out of the darkened recesses of the tower. If a hero isn't bloodied by this point, it won't be much longer.

Lady Ulphor reveals a hiddn short sword and attacks those who had moved to protect her. She is revealed to be a doppelganger as yet another drow arrives from the towers inner chambers. The heroes pull out a few daily powers and harm themselves in the process but it turns the tide in the end. The two surviving heroes spend the next moments stablizing their fallen companions. But its close, they almost lose them since neither of them are helears.
I really like this this Season and the focus on Drow.  Here are some pics from the games I DM:

Here is a picture from Session 1:

A couple more from Session 2:

Here are some from Session 3:

Drow Totemist:  "Greetings updweller!  Die like a dog!" hahaha.  Fun game!
Love this set-up... I am trying to recgnize the walls... Are they something hearst arts? Dwarven Forge?
Love this set-up... I am trying to recgnize the walls... Are they something hearst arts? Dwarven Forge?

Thanks!  The setup is something of my own design -  it is quick to set up, portable and can adapt to many configurations.   I used it also when I DMed Encounters Season 8 and my players loved it mostly.... I am working on a cavern set for use in the next few sessions.... it looks badass!

I really like this this Season and the focus on Drow.  Here are some pics from the games I DM:

Here is a picture from Session 1:

A couple more from Session 2:

Here are some from Session 3:

Drow Totemist:  "Greetings updweller!  Die like a dog!" hahaha.  Fun game!

Dwarven Forge! I'm jealous.
- Rico
Session three — One of the tables where I DM had themselves a TPK. My table fared much better.

Skeletons swarmed the heroes on the upper most floor of the crypt. The action never really left this level as the Totemist blocked any advancement with her spider swarm, and the enemies kept coming up the stairs from below.

Quinn (the only pre-gen at the table) really shined this session and delivered the killing blow upon the Totemist.
Session Four —

One of the players brought in his hand painted Drow from the Drizzt board game to help fill the ranks at my table. Something I asked him to repeat tonight. I have been supplying three seperate game tables with miniatures, at the shop where I work/DM, and it has stretched my personal collection pretty thin.

The Drow, well I should say goblins, managed to kill the elf wizard this session. A critical roll Lolthbound Shriek will do that ...

You know, nothing just says Cloud of Darkness better than a dry erase marker.
This doesn't really count as "miniatures" but I built a 3D module of the stalactite for session 8 so that the PCs will be able to go from level to level during the fight. It's almost finished. I've got the main construction done. I just need to build connectors for the bridges to each level. I'll try to take some pictures and post them once I've got it all done.
- Rico
This doesn't really count as "miniatures" but I built a 3D module of the stalactite for session 8 so that the PCs will be able to go from level to level during the fight. It's almost finished. I've got the main construction done. I just need to build connectors for the bridges to each level. I'll try to take some pictures and post them once I've got it all done.

Well, I've got it done, but there's something seriously wrong with the way my browser (IE 9) interacts with this site for some reason. When I click on the Upload Photos link nothing happens. It won't give me any options to upload. Also, email doesn't display properly, and I can't respond to emails.
- Rico
Can you post to an image hosting site, like imgur.com, and cross-link here?

Sounds awesome, look foward to seeing it.

"Well that encounter was easy....er, guys, why is the DM grinning?" (party members last words)

It's not a party till the screaming starts!

Follow me on Twitter @Vobeskhan or check out my blog http://vobeskhan.wordpress.com/

Can you post to an image hosting site, like imgur.com, and cross-link here?

I'm going to look into it.
- Rico
OK. Here's the link:

imgur.com/a/IL0cF
- Rico
OK. Here's the link:

imgur.com/a/IL0cF

DamnSweetNice!
OK. Here's the link:

imgur.com/a/IL0cF

DamnSweetNice!

Thanks.

For the final touch I bought a large sheet of black poster board and painted the webbing onto it as well. That way I can represent the web spanning the entire cavern, and when I set the stalactite down, the base will blend in.
- Rico
Massive props, Rico. Really awesome stuff-- I sent the link to Lokicometh, too, so he can be envious as well....
This doesn't really count as "miniatures" but I built a 3D module of the stalactite for session 8 ...

What are you talking about? That's totally a miniature. Bravo!

The best I can come with is some pics from last session —

July 5th table: We had a small turn out of only four. It was another DM's table too so I brought a PC to play for once; Akith the white, female kobold warpriest. Jaysome, the half-elf scout, provides cover fire for Akith and thier drow rogue companion (can't recall his name).

View from the table I DM. We ran session 6 & 7 on June 27th: This was a knock down drag out fight. PCs are female drow rogue, dragonborn paladin, eladrin mage, gnome warpriest, drow hexblade and human druid with bear buddy. I enjoyed running the Jaelre elite guard.

Wow. It's just incredible Gimper, I can't stress that enough. I would like to ask you how you plan to handle movement on the bridges? Sticky putty or something?
Wow. It's just incredible Gimper, I can't stress that enough. I would like to ask you how you plan to handle movement on the bridges? Sticky putty or something?

Thanks!

Well, in order to make access to each level easier, I spaced each level apart about double what text says. It says 10' between levels, and I have them at about 20'. To be honest, the bridges are probably the least successful part of it, so I figure they're there more to give the feel of the thing, than to actually be an accurate representation. So, I'm probably just going to fake it with movement along the bridges and say that anyone can move across a bridge from one level to the next with a full movement. There's nothing in the text about needing to make an athletics or acrobatics check to avoid falling off a bridge, but I might decide to require it. What do you think?

- Rico
Personally, if the PCs make it to the bridges, then I'll require a check to avoid falling. But that's because I want them to fall into the Web of Doom below and get eaten by an enormous spider. 
Personally, if the PCs make it to the bridges, then I'll require a check to avoid falling. But that's because I want them to fall into the Web of Doom below and get eaten by an enormous spider. 

Well that's certainly a worthy consideration. I may have them make the check and on a success, they traverse the entire length of the bridge regardless of its actual length vis-a-vis their move speed.  There always needs to be some suspense/threat. And since the encounter includes the stats for the spider (and I have a mini already picked out) it would be a shame if the spider never makes an appearance.  Tongue Out

By the way, we're still a week behind because of the holiday. So we ran session 7 tonight. I did show it to a couple of the other DMs and they liked it a lot. Next week I'll spring in on my players. For tonight's session I had ordered the new Caverns of the Underdark terrain pieces from Gale Force 9, and they came in. They are frigging awesome! So I used them around the perimeter of the cavern.  Everyone liked them. I plan to use them again, along with some similar terrain pieces that I purchased at a convention, and my brother-in-law is painting for me. 

- Rico
We ran session 8 last night. The PCs would have left the big scary spider alone, especially after it ate the bugbear, but I threw our cat-girl down there, so they had to go rescue her (she would have died last night otherwise).

Your model came in handy, big-time. The module's description of the stalactite is very hard to understand, so I pulled up your picture on my phone and passed it around. Instantly, everyone at the table said "Oooh!" and understood where all the bridges went. VERY helpful-- thank you so much for posting pictures of that! 
We ran session 8 last night. The PCs would have left the big scary spider alone, especially after it ate the bugbear, but I threw our cat-girl down there, so they had to go rescue her (she would have died last night otherwise).

Your model came in handy, big-time. The module's description of the stalactite is very hard to understand, so I pulled up your picture on my phone and passed it around. Instantly, everyone at the table said "Oooh!" and understood where all the bridges went. VERY helpful-- thank you so much for posting pictures of that! 

I'm happy that it was able to help you. That is an unexpected benefit.

- Rico
In my post above, I mentioned using the new Caverns of the Underdark 3D Terrain set from Gale Force 9. Here are links to some photos so you can see how they look.

www.meetup.com/Brookhurst-Gamers/photos/...
- Rico
In my post above, I mentioned using the new Caverns of the Underdark 3D Terrain set from Gale Force 9. Here are links to some photos so you can see how they look.

Hey, I spy some sort of clear raised play surface in these pictures to represent where the priestess is up on the ledge. What's that thing all about? Is that homemade?

I didn't make the PCs make any sort of check or anything when traversing the staircases. I put the magic item in the web and when they were crossing the final rope bridge caught a glimpse of it. Curious as cats they repelled down and stirred the spider. There was no way I was going to let them get through the session without fighting that thing.

Hey, I spy some sort of clear raised play surface in these pictures to represent where the priestess is up on the ledge. What's that thing all about? Is that homemade?

Now you're going to make me spill all my secrets. Those are called Combat Tiers. Here's a link: paizo.com/products/btpy85oq?Combat-Tiers...

And here's a better view of it photos1.meetupstatic.com/photos/event/7/...   

- Rico

The module's description of the stalactite is very hard to understand 

I agree. It is very confusing to me. The text that you read to the players says that the stalactite "contains four distinct levels" and that "Drow can be seen moving about the middle two floors." Since the tactical map only has three levels, and shows what I take to be the sturdy rope bridge leading off from the lowest level (even though that's not the tip of the stalactite as the narrative text states) the two "middle levels" must be the two levels on the tactical map where the encounter occurs. It also says that the three rope bridges that run from the cavern walls to the stalactite all converge at "the uppermost chamber" of the stalactite, and this is apparently the crossroads chamber, where the party finds evidence that Khara and Tharinel were here. It also says, "If the drow realize that intruders are approaching, they wait for them here." Which suggests that the combat could start here, yet this chamber does not appear on the tactical map.

The read aloud text also states that "wooden staircases are suspended precariously along its stone sides, emerging from one window and descending to a window on the level below." Yet the map for the level where the encounter begins shows what look like carved stone steps leading down from off to one side.

So, in my opinion, this encounter is a complete mess! I haven't run it yet, and I'm still trying to figure it out. Maybe I'm reading it wrong. So I would love to hear from those of you who have run it already as to how you handled it narratively. 

- Rico
OK. Here's the link:

imgur.com/a/IL0cF

Since I haven't run session 8 yet, I had some time to add some finishing touches to my model. I added stairs spriraling around the lower cone section, down to the tip of the stalactite, and then a "rope" bridge heading out straight from the tip (it's really just the hint of the rope bridge, but you get the idea). I also reworked the other bridges a bit so that now all of the bridges will support minis placed on them. Here is a link to all of the pictures:

imgur.com/qnGtI,Ybale,3kQ8x,eCFth,pPuxM,...

- Rico

IMAGE(http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb168/MrSleep_bucket/GasSpores.jpg)

But what to do with some Gas Spores minions...

But what to do with some Gas Spores minions...

Where in the world did you get those, and where can I get them too? I need me some of those!

Find a place to use them (they could work anywhere in the caves for session 10 - the Underdark is full of dangers in every nook and corner). If you don't use them this season, maybe you'll find somewhere to use them next season.
- Rico
Nah, I make my own minis. I usually say to myself, "What would Wizards never bother making?". These I whipped up last night, and finished painting them up this morning.
My players didn't have much of a Session 9, so I'm thinking of doing Session 10 as a slave barracks infiltration, into the arena, (11) into another section of slave barracks (12). Maybe a room with some goblins, another with the gas spores and another with some spiders eating something. A room full of exploding poison balloons sounded fun. I'm thinking the poison my leech healing surges, to keep an approximation.

(You can checkout some of my otherstuff over in D&D miniatures in the "Tortured Vestige" post)
Nah, I make my own minis. I usually say to myself, "What would Wizards never bother making?". These I whipped up last night, and finished painting them up this morning.

My hat's off to you. Do you take commissions? Wink
- Rico
Do you take commissions?

Maybe sometime soon, I'm looking into it.
Sign In to post comments